Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I agree it’s nice to get some offense out of your 4C but my primary concern is that the 4C doesn’t bleed goals against and preferably has a bit of grit to their game. Hamblin seems pretty defensively responsible and while a bit on a the smaller side doesn’t seem to get pushed around too much.

I think at this stage in both their careers he is a better option than Ryan. Pederson may also be an option, or perhaps Philp but I think he will need to see game time in the AHL before getting a call up since he was off for a year. I would prefer they sign a more established one but I’m okay with them having an internal candidate win it from this group
Im not against a great defensive player, you wont find grinding goalscorers just like that, those get a lot of money.

I prefer like you, an open competition, that can later be adressed if not succcessful. You cant buy your lineup all the time, you have to let ingouse talents get thier chance. Maybe none will develope to an NHLer, maybe one? Or maybe two? You have to give your guys a time to show their worth, and a 4th line role open for shows is a perfect showcasing window.

I wonder what will happen now. Will they buy out E Kane? Trade Ceci? Or may favourite; trade Nurse for a cheaper 2nd line D?
The forwards are insane; right now its

Nuge McDavid Hyman
Skinner Leon Arvidsson
Holloway Henr-Q E Kane/Perry
Janmark Hamblin/Ryan Brown

So absolutly, one forward probably goes...

Reactions: Oilhawks

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting. When did you pick that up?
I have only watched two games of Savoie (April of this year) and in both I thought he looked lacklustre compared to other younger prospects. His positioning being very poor stood out, he sometimes even skated out of good spots or wouldnt support the puck when required.

However, in both games Savoie's Warriors were blowing out the Wheat Kings. Every shot seemed to go in for the warriors. Not the best game to judge someone one, I was expecting a show from him as well seeing as he was a 9th overall and older.
He is also smaller than the stat pages show, probably 5'8"

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It’s not cope. Savoie hasn’t done shit.
Draft+2 in the CHL means nothing.

I’d read more into not being invited to the WJ team and then having a terrible showing last year .

I’m fine with the trade.. but man some of y’all overrate prospects.

Just to make this clear… I’m not cheering against the kid. I’m not trying to be contrarian… but I definitely have a different view on prospects than a lot of people here.

That said I hope he blows the doors off wherever he plays .
The family has a history with HA and HC going back to his brother's omission from provincial teams etc. I don't put a lot of stock in Matt's world junior challenges. There is a back story there as well.

For him it's about work ethic and staying healthy. Playing a full year as 1C in the AHL will be huge for him. He likely plays wing at the NHL level.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Certainly an interesting comparison. Pretty funny to see some of the cope out there from people claiming he's trending towards bust status. According to this, he's actually trending slightly ahead of where Point was at the same point (heh) in their development.

Basically it's just Oiler hater outsiders, some Buffalo fans trying to convince themselves it's not a bad deal, and the perpetual negative Nancy contingent of Oilers fans (and a few legitimate McLeod fans, which I'll give credit to). I think what needs to be said about that (which I said before) is that McLeod was going to go out for cap clearing, he would be playing on their 4th line for the most part this season.

The expectation was a 3rd or something, so to get a trending up top 10 first round pick was a steal, even if he doesn't make the team and stalls a bit in the AHL they can trade him for close to full value at the TDL. Most important is this exercise: if you dangled Matt Savoie and asked every single GM for the best value to get him, McLeod + Tullio would not be the best package offered, not even close IMO. One of the Buffalo beat guys seems to be in damage control and has said that Savoie was being shopped but when I hear Seravalli say this deal was talked about for a week prior and Adams hesitated, I don't buy it. I see it as Adams expressed interest in McLeod and JJ asked for Savoie in return, as Seravalli also reported (I think he reported that as well, or it was another media guy).

• Love
Reactions: Gordian Knot

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

Certainly an interesting comparison. Pretty funny to see some of the cope out there from people claiming he's trending towards bust status. According to this, he's actually trending slightly ahead of where Point was at the same point (heh) in their development.
A more recent comparable would be Logan Stankoven. If he can turn out like him it would be incredible.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I really wonder how that Bacon chart looks IF Buffalo just played him in the AHL for D+2. Maybe Buffalo's bad choice created that scenario. Like Bacon is assuming that just cause he played CHL in D+2 that he wasn't able to play in the AHL. Which doesn't make much sense.

That said, yeh prospects are prospects until proven otherwise.
This is the key point.

I take a week off and comeback and the board is going nuts over some kid anointing it as a hot trade.

We traded an actual NHL player, a guy that is healthy that plays every game, can play up and down the lineup, that is a big part of a pk, that has pace, is very good at zone exits and entries and goal suppression for a kid that has played 3mins in the NHL and with shoulder injury histories already this early in his career and that kid hasn't played against men yet.

Going off Savoie's scouting reports and self reports also a theme where he needs to hold and carry the puck more, is the player already reticent doing this? Seems odd for a producer to be a bit shy on possessing puck. At least thats whats being stated.

In anycase Sabres who have handled more prospects than us have traded the player. Theres been some suggestion, not sure if its garbage, that Sabres moved from Savoie possibly due to injury history.

In anycase Savoie hasn't even played in AHL much to this point. He's an unknown even at AHL level. People here talking as if he's already a shoe in with the Oilers in the NHL.

Bird in hand used to be the rule.

Reactions: dem

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I really wonder how that Bacon chart looks IF Buffalo just played him in the AHL for D+2. Maybe Buffalo's bad choice created that scenario. Like Bacon is assuming that just cause he played CHL in D+2 that he wasn't able to play in the AHL. Which doesn't make much sense.

That said, yeh prospects are prospects until proven otherwise.
I was curious about D+2 in CHL but then noticed his birthday was Jan 1 and the cut off for U20 players being ineligible for assignment is age of 20 by Dec 31. I don't think he was eligible to stay in AHL and it was NHL or CHL for him.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

People claiming he's trending towards a bust because he played his D+2 in the WHL. Forgetting that he wasn't even age eligible for the AHL lol. He's a bit on the smaller side and Buff didn't want to rush him into the NHL. To think him putting up 2PPG and becoming WHL Champion as a negativenis pretty funny.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is the key point.

I take a week off and comeback and the board is going nuts over some kid anointing it as a hot trade.

We traded an actual NHL player, a guy that is healthy that plays every game, can play up and down the lineup, that is a big part of a pk, that has pace, is very good at zone exits and entries and goal suppression for a kid that has played 3mins in the NHL and with shoulder injury histories already this early in his career and that kid hasn't played against men yet.

Going off Savoie's scouting reports and self reports also a theme where he needs to hold and carry the puck more, is the player already reticent doing this? Seems odd for a producer to be a bit shy on possessing puck. At least thats whats being stated.

In anycase Sabres who have handled more prospects than us have traded the player. Theres been some suggestion, not sure if its garbage, that Sabres moved from Savoie possibly due to injury history.

In anycase Savoie hasn't even played in AHL much to this point. He's an unknown even at AHL level. People here talking as if he's already a shoe in with the Oilers in the NHL.

So if we traded Ceci for Sam Dickinson we couldn’t call it a win because Ceci is an NHL player?

What injury history? Also acting like Buffalo is some prospect whisperer. There’s a reason their team is always terrible.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
One bad playoff run. Maybe it's a sign of what to come, or maybe a road bump

Savoie also is still in the WHL in draft +2 year. So juries still out if he's even a 3rd liner. Long list of similar prospects with similar hype that failed come pro, so we shouldnt count the eggs before they hatch

I'd stil make this trade easily, it's a great gamble. And our chance of getting a chrao top 6er in 2 years

But it's still a gamble. McLeod will play another 350 games in the nhl, MS likely will but who knows
McLeod is what he is and what he always has been a fast skating low-event offensive player, he could not crack a point a game in his 4th season in Junior or 20 goals, and has already surpassed any expectation of him. if anything his production will drop or stay stagnant, any team in the NHL would do this trade 100 out of 100 times. This is a type of trade that would happen in the 70's when good teams would prey on weaker teams run by bad GM's

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
As other posters have said, I think Hamblin takes the 4c spot (or splits with Ryan)

I thought he played great in that role this year and (imho) is a MUCH better fit at that particular role than McLeod could ever be.

Yeah, Hamblin isn’t the guy to go up and down the lineup, but a physical, trenches, “give a shit meter” to me is what a 4C is all about.

Love it if he grabs the spot.

This to me would be great without getting anything back, but to get this blue chip prospect? When we don’t even have to rush him in the lineup? AND still hasn’t started the 3 year ELC?

Great trade, we won’t miss Clouder at all, and have a great chance of a hit prospect.

AND clear cap space?

Wowza.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
As other posters have said, I think Hamblin takes the 4c spot (or splits with Ryan)

I thought he played great in that role this year and (imho) is a MUCH better fit at that particular role than McLeod could ever be.

Yeah, Hamblin isn’t the guy to go up and down the lineup, but a physical, trenches, “give a shit meter” to me is what a 4C is all about.

Love it if he grabs the spot.

This to me would be great without getting anything back, but to get this blue chip prospect? When we don’t even have to rush him in the lineup? AND still hasn’t started the 3 year ELC?

Great trade, we won’t miss Clouder at all, and have a great chance of a hit prospect.

AND clear cap space?

Wowza.
I like Hamblin. Would be nice for him and the team for him to get a longer look in the NHL

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We were literally being forced to trade one of McLeod, Ceci or maybe Kane to become cap compliant and we squeezed a team's top 3? prospect out for him.

This fanbase would have been happy with a 3rd coming back.
Agreed. It was a nice bit of larceny.

(And then Gary would have taken that 3rd away as a penalty for something I’m certain).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
So if we traded Ceci for Sam Dickinson we couldn’t call it a win because Ceci is an NHL player?

What injury history? Also acting like Buffalo is some prospect whisperer. There’s a reason their team is always terrible.
Just saying you can't count chickens yet. What the Oilers lose this season is an actual NHL player that was very good on pk, low event player, responsible 200ft player and good at zone entries, zone exits and TKA. McLeod played a lot of parts here and was versatile as well. But he had an important speed ingredient to game that the team will miss.

I'm only looking at this in one year window because in my view that is our compete window. Savoie won't be in our NHL lineup.

Savoie has had recurring shoulder injuries and hasn't even played against men yet. Thats a potential worry to be having that problem so young, and in Junior hockey.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Only knock on Hamblin is his poor offensive output. There is though demands on a NHLer. No matter ehre you play, you have to produce points every five game-ish. Doesnt matter if you are a great defensive player- produce or you will be out if the league.

I wish oilers had a really strong defensive 3rd line. If Janmark plays 3rd line, I dont like Brown being the second winger.
LEt holloway or Lavoie be the 2nd winger on that line.

And ai dont think JJ is done.
An under 1 million 4C signing could come up.
In no world right now is Brown the 2nd winger. Janmark Henrique Brown IS our strong 3rd defensive line. They just happen to score too. With Arvidsson and Skinner on board, our top 6 is set.
RNH McDavid Hyman
Skinner Draisaitl Arvidsson
Janmark Henrique Brown
Holloway Ryan/Hamblin/Philp? Perry

Where does Kane go in when healthy?

Skinner McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Arvidsson
Holloway RNH Perry
Janmark Henrique Brown

- I put Kane with Drai and Arvi as I think a third of Kane RNH Perry would be too slow. Holloway evens out Perry with RNH. Obviously TOI would be pretty even between the 3rd and 4th lines.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is the key point.

I think the thing is that the Oilers are in a position where cap needed to be moved. Bird in the hand is an okay thought, especially when you’re trying to win a cup. But we’ve got too many “birds” so to speak and need to be able to be cap compliant.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Ryan McLeod too. I think his relatively poor playoffs had a lot of Oiler fans deem him as unusable. I disagree with that thought. But bodies needed to be moved and the Oilers got back value, and potentially a player on an ELC who can contribute at some point in the next year or two at basement level costs.

I also wouldn’t really rely on the Sabres being willing to move on from the player as an indication that there is something wrong with him. That franchise is more of a gong show than the Oilers were during the decade of darkness.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad