Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They definitely should’ve got more value for Hall at the time but sometimes you need to lose a trade to improve the team. I think this was that case. Besides Hall’s random Hart season, he hasn’t really been that good.

The only trade that has truly annoyed me since being an Oil fan in 06 is the Griffin Reinhart trade
i think we had an emotional attachment to Hall, because he was a 1st overall pick and until the arrival of McDavid the best player the Oilers had in years. But if one were objective, he was a very limited player. Basically, his strength was driving the play, but he did not score enough, was not the greatest playmaker, and was below average defensively. Also took some bad hits and injuries eventually became an issue. The OIlers got a young number 2 d-man on an excellent contract.

At this point there isn't much to suggest that there is much "bust" likelihood with Savoie. He just put up one of the best WHL seasons of the past 20+ years. The only reason people are even mentioning him as a bust is because of his size, and I think thats really behind-the-times thinking. Small skilled players are littered throughout the league as impact or quality complementary players. We just signed one in Arvidsson. With the right balance in your line up like the Oilers have these types of players don't carry that much risk.
Why did Bufallo trade him--for f***ing McLeod no less?

I highly doubt they'd send Perry down, he would be the most likely to get claimed. Option is Ryan at a little over $250K less so it screws over the savings to fit a 21 man roster.

Most likely it will be Ryan, J. Brown, and Stecher sent to Bako to fit a signed Holloway and Broberg. QO doesn't mean thats what they sign for as thats the minimum probably closer to 1 million (~$950K) a piece.
I think Ryan is this year's Gagner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sabres fan who comes in peace.
How are the guys we got back from you guys.
Savoie was a top A+ prospect for the Sabres . Unfortunately he was injured early last season and couldn't crack the roster.
McLeod is tall and extremely fast, like one of the fastest players in the NHL fast. He can also PK very well and IMO has more offense than he's shown here. He's thrived at times on the wing with Draisaitl as well. Those are his positive attributes. Now the biggest glaring issue with him is that he is a perimeter player and is one of the softest players out there. It's like he has stretches where he realizes that he has to be grittier and does so for a few games, but overall it's not in his nature and always haunts him. Toffoli plays a gritty style but I haven't seen much of him. Could be a future bottom 6 guy for you guys.
To everyone looking for holes or reasons why Savoie was traded, there is no deficiency there. He's a grade A+ prospect, but Adams is desperate so he made an overpay given we have a huge prospect pool. That's all there is to it. No need to be looking for ulterior motives or angles. Just enjoy Savoie!
Appreciated, hopefully both players do well for Buffalo and you guys get back to the playoffs. Thompson is one of my favorite non Oilers players to watch.
McLeod plays soft ??
Extremely, not just saying this because he's on his way out. This has been my criticism of him for years.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Will reserve judgment on this trade until we see how Savoie develops, but at face value looks like a great trade. I personally really liked Clouder though and think he will be missed in the line up more than folks realize.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Very. The guys certainly doesn’t play with a lot of balls.
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket who really hasn’t being going in the right direction.
I really like the trade. But it’s hardly a gimme.

This is a sober and accurate view of the deal, but short of McLeod breaking out in a big way (unlikely IMO), we probably would have lost him for effectively nothing anyways.

He either would have played himself into a position of “he is what he is, not great,” or in a worse case we get sucked into signing him to a bad deal we have to buy out or trade for peanuts anyways.

Great timing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
i think we had an emotional attachment to Hall, because he was a 1st overall pick and until the arrival of McDavid the best player the Oilers had in years. But if one were objective, he was a very limited player. Basically, his strength was driving the play, but he did not score enough, was not the greatest playmaker, and was below average defensively. Also took some bad hits and injuries eventually became an issue. The OIlers got a young number 2 d-man on an excellent contract.

Why did Bufallo trade him--for f***ing McLeod no less?

I think Ryan is this year's Gagner.
Wish I could tell you. They're obviously feeling pressure to try and make playoffs asap, and they have a lot of good forward prospects. Reeks of Chiarelli era type trades where there doesn't seem to be much logic or rational thinking going on.

At the end of the day all I can tell you is usually players who have Draft+2 seasons like Savoie end up good NHLers, even small guys. Especially when there's no concerns with their skating.

Reactions: oilers'72

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a sober and accurate view of the deal, but short of McLeod breaking out in a big way (unlikely IMO), we probably would have lost him for effectively nothing anyways.

He either would have played himself into a position of “he is what he is, not great,” or in a worse case we get sucked into signing him to a bad deal we have to buy out or trade for peanuts anyways.

Great timing.
It's not actually a very accurate view of Savoie. How anyone can think he's going in the wrong direction development wise is beyond me. I'll repeat it again. Savoie just had the 2nd best point per game WHL season in 23 years behind only Connor Bedard.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s 20 years old..

He’s not taking a top 6 spot at this point in time. But that poster suggested he’s a “boom and bust project”. He never implied top 6 or bust but a project player.
No he's not that. But does seem like a Top 6 or bust type player. Like Bourgault. Except Savoie is way more skilled and actually trending like he's supposed to.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Is his style of game transferable to the NHL? How is his skating? Injury history is a concern. But still a good deal.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Wish I could tell you. They're obviously feeling pressure to try and make playoffs asap, and they have a lot of good forward prospects. Reeks of Chiarelli era type trades where there doesn't seem to be much logic or rational thinking going on.

At the end of the day all I can tell you is usually players who have Draft+2 seasons like Savoie end up good NHLers, even small guys. Especially when there's no concerns with their skating.
ok, maybe they indeed don't have space for him. Kind of like the Oilers when they traded that German d-man who was lost in the depth chart.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Great timing.
Arbitration would have killed us next year. That damn arbitration doesn't seem to allow paying young players what they are actually worth.

He's basically one year out of being draft, has a bit of pro experience, was better last year than his draft year and still has all 3 years of his ELC left.
I know. I'm not saying he's anywhere near a bust. He's still young and trending well. I'm just saying when he's ready, he'll be a Top 6 or nothing else type player.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's not actually a very accurate view of Savoie. How anyone can think he's going in the wrong direction development wise is beyond me. I'll repeat it again. Savoie just had the 2nd best point per game WHL season in 23 years behind only Connor Bedard.

Other than that comment, should have singled that out in the post.

More getting at the fact that it isn’t a guaranteed slam dunk, but I don’t think we lost much even if Savoie doesn’t turn out for whatever reason (I think he definitely will).

Arbitration would have killed us next year. That damn arbitration doesn't seem to allow paying young players what they are actually worth.

I know. I'm not saying he's anywhere near a bust. He's still young and trending well. I'm just saying when he's ready, he'll be a Top 6 or nothing else type player.

Arbitration kills the careers of young players that get pushed out of the league before some of them even have a chance to fully develop.

It’s poison for players and poison for the quality of competition in the league, but like a lot of things the NHLPA looks at it myopically. “Arbitration gets them more money faster!” Until teams get smart and just walking away from all but only the best young UFAs.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm sorry... Jackson did WHAT? :eek2:HOW? Savoie is no joke. He's a really good prospect!

In all my days as an Oilers fan, I've never been used to seeing a manager make good moves this often.
main-qimg-41d3fe02162228a5afe420b1eeb93b17.gif

Feels good man and it's about time. Didn't care for McLeod much but best of luck to him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Adams pretty much has to make the playoffs this year or he’s gonzo. They have prospects coming out of their ying yang. McLeod can help them make the playoffs. Sort of a win win trade, with the Oilers having the big upside from their end.
He was desperate and made a desperate trade.

UFAs don’t wanna sign in Buffalo, all the actual good 3Cs aren’t on the trade block or have NTCs, etc.

JJ took advantage of that and swooped in to make an insane trade.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Adams pretty much has to make the playoffs this year or he’s gonzo. They have prospects coming out of their ying yang. McLeod can help them make the playoffs. Sort of a win win trade, with the Oilers having the big upside from their end.

Defense isn't the issue in Buffalo. They were right next to us in GA, a 7 goal difference. Their issue is they can't score enough goals and McLeod doesn't help them do that.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
nowhere near a bust, there are smaller players in the league with way less skill, he is fast great skaters wicked shot and a great passer if he was 6foot in draft year he would have been 1st or second overall pick

Im not saying he's a bust or close to it. The term Top 6 or Bust means when he makes the NHL it'll either be in a Top 6 role or won't be anywhere at all.

Reactions: rpm197509

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad