Proposal: Edler to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
With Benning as GM the Canucks just might do a trade this stupid so who knows but on the other hand kinda suprised by the Sens fans here rejecting the deal i think they gots a lot of bitterness from the Leafs fleecing them in the Phaneuf trade :laugh:

Great comment captain original.......

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Wouldn't trade Dion straight up for edler. Dude is straight trash that can't stay on the ice or produce anymore. But apparently that makes him better all around now.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
This trade makes zero sense for Ottawa. Not a chance

With Benning as GM the Canucks just might do a trade this stupid so who knows but on the other hand kinda suprised by the Sens fans here rejecting the deal i think they gots a lot of bitterness from the Leafs fleecing them in the Phaneuf trade :laugh:

:laugh:

Phaneuf = $35M owed for 5.25 years.
Michalek, Greening, Cowen = $15M owed for 1.25 years. 2 of them were buyout candidates
Salary cost for Ottawa = $20M for 5.25 years to pay Phaneuf (or $3.81M/ 82 games).

- This deal was great for a budget team.
- We want, need and like Phaneuf on our team. You can keep Edler.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as an outsider id rather have phaneuf than edler on my team... assuming contracts are equal

i tend to think phaneuf wont be moved again this quickly. hes a gamble but hes actually a gamble that might pay off. my belief is ottawa will roll the dice on him.

if edler is dealt, vancouver will want to rebuild. could ottawa be a fit?

im guessing it would be names like codi ceci and curtis lazar that would interst vancouver more than phaneuf would.

ottawa might not want to have so many high priced dmen around?

as a bruin fan though... id value phaneuf higher than edler in a trade

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
as an outsider id rather have phaneuf than edler on my team... assuming contracts are equal

i tend to think phaneuf wont be moved again this quickly. hes a gamble but hes actually a gamble that might pay off. my belief is ottawa will roll the dice on him.

if edler is dealt, vancouver will want to rebuild. could ottawa be a fit?

im guessing it would be names like codi ceci and curtis lazar that would interst vancouver more than phaneuf would.

ottawa might not want to have so many high priced dmen around?

as a bruin fan though... id value phaneuf higher than edler in a trade

Exactly:handclap:

Why? Honestly curious

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I know it's a fantasy messageboard, but honestly it makes just zero sense to have a trade predicated upon Ottawa retaining a huge amount of salary.

It just isn't within the realm of possibility.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
For all the people complaining about the retention, you do realize Phaneuf has a cap hit of 7M and Edler of 5M? So basically all this retention does is make it that the Sens pay Edler 7M instead of Phaneuf 7M. They aren't taking on any additional salary and are getting the better player, who is 1 year younger, and is signed to a more friendly contract in terms of length to age. So why wouldn't they retain exactly?

Really because of 2 seasons where they retain 2M that Edler isn't signed for? Phaneuf would be 34 and 35 those seasons. How is that not a benefit to the Sens to avoid paying Phaneuf 7M per for those years and only get away with a 2M penalty? I'm sure you could easily re-sign Edler for the same 5M or less by that time. He would be in the tail end of his career too at 33 and 34 years of age at that point. D-men past 33 do not sign for more than 5M unless they are the elite of the elite.

I swear people on these boards just see retention and get bent out of shape without thinking things through. They just see dead cap space. When GM's have to buyout players for even more than that for longer term to get rid of a player past his prime making way too much money, they think they could have dealt him before that point and avoided the buyout. :shakehead

Melnyk doesn't do retention. I don't think the Sens have retained any money in any trade, and I don't think they are planning on doing it anytime soon. Besides, I'm not sure Edler is a huge upgrade on Phaneuf anyway, and even if he is, I don't want to give up a first as well.

People on here seem obsessesd with players playing in certain places because of past success. Karlsson and Edler played together for Sweden, so they must play together in the nhl. I'm not saying I don't want Edler, but this trade doesn't work, and Ottawa is happy with their top 4 at the moment.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know it's a fantasy messageboard, but honestly it makes just zero sense to have a trade predicated upon Ottawa retaining a huge amount of salary.

It just isn't within the realm of possibility.

Poorly conceived proposal all around. No chance Ottawa can retain salary. And there is no chance Vancouver would have any interest in another again plodder who represents a large cap/term investment (well Benning though...).

If there's an Edler to Ottawa deal, it's picks/prospects.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Poorly conceived proposal all around. No chance Ottawa can retain salary. And there is no chance Vancouver would have any interest in another again plodder who represents a large cap/term investment (well Benning though...).

If there's an Edler to Ottawa deal, it's picks/prospects.

That would be ideal but with the Aquaman owning the team, every year the mandate is make the playoffs.

This weakens the team a little now but not enough that it would piss off Aquilini, but strengthens our prospect pool at the same time. It's really the best we could hope for.

For Ottawa, They already are going to lose Methot to the expansion draft. They're not trading for Edler unless Phaneuf or Ceci is going the other way OR after the expansion draft.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Exactly:handclap:

Why? Honestly curious

edler feels like a guy who gave us everything he had... and his peak wasnt a number 1 guy. from what i saw of vancouver i always felt an argument could be made bieska was the number 1 guy... or hamhuis was... or tanev is...

none of these guys are guys id leap for joy to name as my number 1. they are all fine nhl dmen but not guys id argue had potential to carry a team on their back.

phaneuf got messed up at some point... at some point he got broke... or he messed himself up...

i dont think weve seen the best he has to offer for thr past 7-8 years.

so the comparison for me comes down to one 2-3 dman who has peaked imho to a second 2-3 dman who i think some coaching and playing on a better team, can still get more out of him.

maybe phaneuf can never get the best out of his tools, but id be more inclined to give him a try.

i certainly wouldnt downgrade a first round pick to make this swap. the pick will probably be a lottery pick. im not sure either edler or phaneuf are worth a lottery pick at this moment.

if i was getting one of these guys to be my number 3 dman id be very happy, but if i was stuck with one of them as my number 2, i probably would be checking for available improvements. if im stuck with one of them as my best dman, i am not expexpecting to make the playoffs

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I might sound horrible here, but I actually wanna keep Phaneuf lol. Maybe we can work something out with a mid-high end prospect? Chabot and Puempel are available. I think it would be more what the Canucks would want instead of Phaneuf, no?

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I might sound horrible here, but I actually wanna keep Phaneuf lol. Maybe we can work something out with a mid-high end prospect? Chabot and Puempel are available. I think it would be more what the Canucks would want instead of Phaneuf, no?

Yes a player like Chabot or puempel and a pick is more what the fans want

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
No GM is going to trade a 1st just to equalize a transaction in fans' minds re. salary at that age. Ottawa has lots of space.

Phaneuf is expensive for Ottawa but they just made that trade, events haven't changed that much since that decision was made that they are now keen to suddenly unload. I doubt an Edler availability even gets the talking heads on radio in Ottawa buzzing to do this...with a first thrown in to make it so.

The need to unload for cap space is over-rated, especially with teams that have the room. Ottawa is making a run for the playoffs only, not the Cup. Fine tuning trades on older players is debatable. Phaneuf sells tickets even he is over-priced. This trade does't take Ottawa any closer to Cup contention, so why do it (for an added 1st thrown in).

p.s. and the poster Free Edler would have to change his name again, he's confused me enough already...

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Since when is Chabot available?

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

Lol, what is this? Phaneuf can get the hell out of Ottawa with his $7M. I'd rather keep Chabot AINEC.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Not even sure what kind of no-trade clause Phaneuf has. He agreed to come to Ottawa, does he even want to get uprooted again?

The hockey gods or Bob Mckenzie could very well decide the value indicated in the first post is fair. That doesn't mean a GM would want to pull the trigger on it. What's the use. Does it get Ottawa closer to the cup? I think Ottawa has to think about this more because a first is demanded. A small market team needs its firsts to rebuild all the time. Phaneuf already has more than his full value included in his salary (for himself). If he really wanted to go I'd let him if someone wants him. I don't necessarily want him to (I don't mind Melnyk overpaying for him, it's not coming out of my pocket)...but definitely having to throw in a first round pick to me is out (if it was just to see that transaction go through).

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes a player like Chabot or puempel and a pick is more what the fans want

Puempel and a 2nd round pick, yes.

Chabot and anything, no. Chabot is not on the table.

Elder is a very slight upgrade on Phaneuf. No way in hell Ottawa would pay the price in the OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad