Proposal: Edler to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The Benning crap is getting old but he keeps destroying my team so dont get mad at me get mad at Benning for this stupid trades hes keeps doing :facepalm:

You're adding nothing to the discussion with your constant "Benning will Benning" crap. And I hate Benning.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No not a slight upgrade...... A large one.

No, he isn't.

We have no need for Elder. And we certainly aren't giving up a first rounder, or White, or Chabot for him.

Elder has been mediocre and injury prone for a few years now. If you want good pieces for him, ask a different team.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
No, he isn't.

We have no need for Elder. And we certainly aren't giving up a first rounder, or White, or Chabot for him.

Elder has been mediocre and injury prone for a few years now. If you want good pieces for him, ask a different team.

Care to explain why? Just saying no he isn't is not an argument. I'll counter by saying yes he is, and by far. Seeing as you can't even spell his name right, doesn't bode well for your argument either.

What you would want to give up for him is a completely different story. I wouldn't give up White for him. Chabot is not a blue chipper in my eyes and should be fair game. But that is just my opinion, allbeit one from someone who watches Edler play.
The point of this thread is to find fair value.

That said. I think part of the reason why an Edler/Ottawa proposal is being made by a Vancouver fan is a recent article suggesting Edler was asking to waive his NTC and he picked 2 teams. I could see him waiving to Ottawa to play with Karlsson however I seem to remember it being assumed that both teams he would consider waiving to are in the West, so meh...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Care to explain why? Just saying no he isn't is not an argument. I'll counter by saying yes he is, and by far. Seeing as you can't even spell his name right, doesn't bode well for your argument either.

What you would want to give up for him is a completely different story. I wouldn't give up White for him. Chabot is not a blue chipper in my eyes and should be fair game. But that is just my opinion, allbeit one from someone who watches Edler play.

That said. I think part of the reason why an Edler/Ottawa proposal is being made by a Vancouver fan is a recent article suggesting Edler was asking to waive his NTC and he picked 2 teams. I could see him waiving to Ottawa to play with Karlsson however I seem to remember it being assumed that both teams he would consider waiving to are in the West, so meh...

He has been mediocre for the better part of 4 seasons now. That isn't an aberration, it's a trend. And picking on spelling...yeah, when Edler and Elder are virtual locks as autocorrects? That's the best dig you have?

And sorry bud, but Chabot is not on the table. Kid is trending nicely to be a 2nd pair guy, with 1st pairing upside int eh NHL. That is not a commodity you give up for a guy who is past his peak.

Besides, we have Phaneuf, which serves our needs, which is for a calming veteran presence for our young D corps. Edler does not provide the kind of presence we need.

No need for Ottawa to jump for a guy that Canucks fans have been trying to sell for a good 4 years now. Most Sens fans simply do not want what you're selling, at any price.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
well he hasant played a full season during that time so thats kind of a reason why it hasant happened.

he hasnt even put up a 0.5 ppg pace since then, so he would unlikely have hit 40 even if he played 80 games every year.
the last 3 years he would have needed 18 pts in 19 games, 9 points in 8 games, and 20 pts in 30 games..

not happening

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Chabot, White and Brown are not in the table. I think the Sens have positioned themselves well to have 3 first round picks be able to step into the team relatively quickly after expansion. In the meantime, EK, Phaneuf, Methot and Ceci comprise the best top 4 we've had in years (on paper anyway). I'm not sure where the narrative is coming from that Edler is some kind of wonder partner for Karlsson. EK is pretty darn good with just about any competent defenceman alongside him.

What we do need to upgrade is the #5 position with a veteran LD who can push Boro to the #7 spot. Technically acquiring Edler would do this if we played him or Methot on the third pairing. But that's not a hole that needs filling so desperately that we'd give up bluechip assets.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
This accomplishes nothing. Ottawa is fine now with their Top4. Add in the salary factors and the upcoming expansion draft and there's just no way they add an Edler. Let alone for the prize Vancouver would ask for him.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I really don't think Edler is as good as Phaneuf to begin with.

Yes he's on a better contract, but there's no way we are giving up premium assets along with Phaneuf for that reason.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Id like a deal like that i think it would work out

It would work out... but not for the Sens.

They won't give up a blue chip prospect AND a 1st, which are always very valuable for Ottawa since they rely so much on the draft to build.

They gave up a great 3rd liner (Silfverberg), a decent prospect struggling with injuries (Noesen) and a 1st in a weak draft (that was higher than expected, 10th OA), for Bobby Ryan... They are not going to give 2 better pieces for Alex Edler.

If the Sens were to trade their first, then 1st + Matt Puempel + Mark Borowiecki would be the best offer so you probably wouldn't be interested in that package and Ottawa wouldn't do it because of not much salary going out

No not a slight upgrade...... A large one.

Watching him play and looking at advanced stats, this doesn't seem reasonable. I love Edler mostly because of my swedish bias, but I feel this would only come from Canucks fans.

On HF D-men ranking polls, Edler just got voted #50 while Phaneuf was voted #52. That doesn't sound "large upgrade"

What do you think of?

Edler for 2017 1st + Matt Puempel + Mark Borowiecki
Edler + Burrows for Phaneuf + Puempel + Claesson + 5th round pick

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
No, he isn't.

This is ridiculous.

The last two seasons have been the best of his career in terms of personal play.

People need to stop looking at points as a measure of a good DEFENSEman.

Edler isn't an offensive D, he's a three zone D, who still paces 30+ points a season.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Please keep Homophobic Sluroof. He is garbage. Horrible defender reminiscent of a declining bieksa with a better point shot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Edler is too soft for my likely, I would prefer that Ottawa make deals for tougher players who are hard to play against. I would have taken Bieska over Edler. Ottawa is already an easy team to play against & need to get tougher & meaner, not softer.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009
It would take a top-prospect along with that 1st.

No Phaneuf, and no 3rd from the Canucks.

And here's where fans who don't watch Edler play claim he's not worth much because he no longer puts up 40+ points a season...

Edler is very badly overated by Canuck fans.
I watch him every game since he started.
Always plays scared, he's huge guy but disappears in physical games.
Surprises me with the occasional big hit but then hides the rest of the game, fcking embarrasing.
Constant defensive errors, really pathetic, give away after give away.
No offense sometimes seems to struggle just passing the puck.
Totally not suitable for a top pairing.
When Canucks defense was a little deeper he didn't look so bad but now that more is expected he has been a huge flop.
When you have a player like this on your top pair you can expect to finish in the bottom 3, no surprise there.
If Phaneuf and a 1st was available for him i would jump on it, but i don't think any team is that stupid, Chiarrelli maybe or Benning but unfortunately the Canucks can't take advantage of Benning;s stupidity.
Just for the record i have been a Canuck fan for over 40 yrs.
and even though we have had consistent bad management i have never seen a mess like this.
Edler is just part of the problem.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009
He has been mediocre for the better part of 4 seasons now. That isn't an aberration, it's a trend. And picking on spelling...yeah, when Edler and Elder are virtual locks as autocorrects? That's the best dig you have?

And sorry bud, but Chabot is not on the table. Kid is trending nicely to be a 2nd pair guy, with 1st pairing upside int eh NHL. That is not a commodity you give up for a guy who is past his peak.

Besides, we have Phaneuf, which serves our needs, which is for a calming veteran presence for our young D corps. Edler does not provide the kind of presence we need.

No need for Ottawa to jump for a guy that Canucks fans have been trying to sell for a good 4 years now. Most Sens fans simply do not want what you're selling, at any price.

well put.
couldn't have said it better!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This is ridiculous.

The last two seasons have been the best of his career in terms of personal play.

People need to stop looking at points as a measure of a good DEFENSEman.

Edler isn't an offensive D, he's a three zone D, who still paces 30+ points a season.

Same way Canucks fans should look at Phaneuf. Guy isn't over the hill and garbage, he's still a very solid defender and slots perfectly in Ottawa's top 4 behind Karlsson. Yeah the contract sucks, but they gave up big dollars in the trade as well, so it balanced out.

Sens have no reason to give up some of the better prospects for what would be a lateral to slight upgrade move on defense.

Last edited:

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
If Edler has been mediocre that past 4 season then Phaneuf has been atrocious.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Fast forward 12 Months ... let's imagine Ottawa loses Methot in the expansion draft .... and they will likely have Chabot in the NHL but don't want to rush him into the top 4.

I could see an Edler to Ottawa trade proposal making sense after that. They would likely have cap space from losing Methot and assets from which they could build a package (bottom 6 forwards, forward prospects, picks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad