Proposal: Edler to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Edler is a very good defence man that won't fit in Ottawa. You've got a cash-strapped team so Vancouver would have to take salary back in a trade, which would only increase his price tag. That might include trading another top-four defence man, which will an upgrade, would be much smaller than the value given up. Then you've got the expansion draft where the Senators will have to expose one of Ceci/Methot/Edler (depending on who the defence men are after the swap). Then the Sens are left still trying to fill the hole that they need to: a #6 defence man, which is what they should be addressing in the first place.

All-in-all, Edler is not a fit.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Id far rather have Edler than Homophobic Sluroof and his brutal contract. Still cant believe Ottawa picked up that bum... And again wowed at how the Leafs managed to get out of him and Clarkson scott free.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I almost forgot, it was an original premise of the proposal to unite Edler and Karlsson. I actually have never heard anyone in Ottawa say, 'Gee wouldn't it be nice to reunite Edler and Karsson'. It's not a thing here.

I don't know what is happening in Vancouver, but it looks like the team might want to move Edler? He was a 3rd rounder, and did well for the team over the years (good D-man). They may want to extend that asset value by trading now at 30 and getting all kinds of needed parts but he has a NTC and the few teams he decided he is willing to play for may or may not need him either. I doubt Ottawa is on the list. I wouldn't get too greedy, Vancouver fans might have to lower their expectations on the returns here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Phaneuf = $35M owed for 5.25 years.
Michalek, Greening, Cowen = $15M owed for 1.25 years. 2 of them were buyout candidates
Salary cost for Ottawa = $20M for 5.25 years to pay Phaneuf (or $3.81M/ 82 games).

- This deal was great for a budget team.
- We want, need and like Phaneuf on our team. You can keep Edler.

THIS

The REAL COST is minimal for Ottawa compared to the benefits that Phaneuf can bring to them for the next 5 years. That is why they made that trade.

Saying that Ottawa got fleeced is stupid and just uneducated/ignorant. They basically cleared all contracts that they didn't want anymore and only gave up a B prospect and a 2nd to get a solid #2/3 D-man to fill a massive hole on the back-end.

So, NO, the Sens are NOT looking to get OUT of Phaneuf contract

Now, is the Edler 3.0 bonus already paid? In that case, that makes his contract more attractive for Ottawa. Still don't think they would give up a 1st rounder for that slight upgrade, if there's any... Maybe not offensively at least :

Since 2012-13 :

Edler : 33 pts per 82 games

Phaneuf : 37 pts per 82 games

Counter :

:sens Edler + Burrows

:nucks Phaneuf + Puempel + Claesson + 5th round pick

* Burrows has a 4.5 cap hit that the Sens can fit but he is "only owed" 3.0 for the last year of his contract. Sens would have a decent 3rd Line RW for this season, as well as even more experience in the playoffs. Nice cap dump for the Canucks.

i certainly wouldnt downgrade a first round pick to make this swap. the pick will probably be a lottery pick. im not sure either edler or phaneuf are worth a lottery pick at this moment.

Are you saying the Sens will probably be a bot-5 team? Ok anything is possible but do you realize that everything went wrong last year and they still finished with the 12th OA pick?

Here are the changes this year :

Coaching : Cameron staff > Boucher staff

2nd Line C : Zibanejad > Brassard

2nd Pair LD : Cowen/Wiercioch > Phaneuf

Depth : Dzingel/Kelly/Pyatt/Paul/Puempel > Prince/Gomez/Chiasson/Dziurzynski/McCormick

top-6 forwards : Turris and MacArthur back and healthy

Id far rather have Edler than Homophobic Sluroof and his brutal contract. Still cant believe Ottawa picked up that bum... And again wowed at how the Leafs managed to get out of him and Clarkson scott free.

Free? lol it's apparent that you have no idea of what you are talking about...

Anyway, can't quote every post, too many ridiculous claims in that thread.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I almost forgot, it was an original premise of the proposal to unite Edler and Karlsson. I actually have never heard anyone in Ottawa say, 'Gee wouldn't it be nice to reunite Edler and Karsson'. It's not a thing here.

I don't know what is happening in Vancouver, but it looks like the team might want to move Edler? He was a 3rd rounder, and did well for the team over the years (good D-man). They may want to extend that asset value by trading now at 30 and getting all kinds of needed parts but he has a NTC and the few teams he decided he is willing to play for may or may not need him either. I doubt Ottawa is on the list. I wouldn't get too greedy, Vancouver fans might have to lower their expectations on the returns here.

Totally.

Top-pairing D in their prime don't usually return much, especially on great contracts...

Then again, the Canucks haven't won too many trades with this regime, so you might be right.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Very true this is Benning were talking about so the trade will probs be

To Ottawa

Edler 50% retaned
Boeser
2017 1st
2017 3rd

To Vancity

Phaneuff
White
2017 5th

:laugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa is not in the market for a top 4 defenceman. Period.

Just lock it up. Nothing to see here.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Maybe something like Edler+Subban+5th for Lazar+White+3rd

We all know Benning is going to deal Subban at spome point.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Enough of the Benning crap. its getting old.

The Benning crap is getting old but he keeps destroying my team so dont get mad at me get mad at Benning for this stupid trades hes keeps doing :facepalm:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
terrible for ottawa. hat pick could easily be top 10.
the difference between phaneuf@5M and Edler isnt even close to that

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
We do? Has he said that? Has he made any indication that he will do that? Have you talked to him personally?

Because he hates Gillises picks and has traded lots of them so far even if some turnout like Hutty or Tanman or Bo. If they didnt right away Benning would of traded them too. Subban is a slow riser and Benning will deal him away just like Shincky and the others :shakehead

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Because he hates Gillises picks and has traded lots of them so far even if some turnout like Hutty or Tanman or Bo. If they didnt right away Benning would of traded them too. Subban is a slow riser and Benning will deal him away just like Shincky and the others :shakehead

He hates Gillis picks so much that he was the one to sign Subban to his ELC while Gillis had almost 2 years to do so.

There's a lot to hate about Benning but this narrative is old and boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad