Post-Game Talk: EDF Game 2 - Islanders tie up the series in OT - Game 3 Thursday in Uniondale

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
The narrative that the Isles stink is a bit foolish, I agree talent for talent they’re not as good as the Bruins, but that overrated trap shut down the B’s for a good part of the game last night. Bruins should win the series but it won’t be because the Isles stink.
It was their heavy forecheck in the second period combined with active neutral zone play by their D that gave the bruins fits

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I loathe Bettman, and it wouldn't surprise if he secretly roots for NYI because of the New York market, but I agree.

It's notable that, as mentioned elsewhere, the Bruins over the past 15 years rarely receive the benefit of a call. There may well be bias among referees, conscious or no.

What we have here, though, is likely poor officiating, as McGarnagle points out.

Them's the breaks, and regardless, Kirk Luedeke has it absolutely right:

Breaking down “ill-advised” Lauzon pass; Islanders even series in OT
Love the link there - hard to find much issue with a guy who knows as much and writes as clearly as Kirk.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Love the link there - hard to find much issue with a guy who knows as much and writes as clearly as Kirk.

It's well explained. Good reading.

Lauzon will be alright. He basically had two choices to make with the puck, and he choose the higher risk play which turned out the be the wrong one with Coyle now suddenly in the passing lane. The big mistake like Kirk said was not looking before making the pass. You can't even make the argument that Lauzon took a quick look before he touched the puck (McAvoy was nowhere near the blueline when Lauzon touched the puck) or that he may of thought in his perepheral vision he saw a black uniform that he assumed would be McAvoy which was Coyle, because he passes that puck hard and in a direction where it would move horizontally straight across basically parallel to the blue-line. He simply didn't look. He made a play on instinct rather than knowing the lane was open. Which players do all the time really, they trust their teammate will be in the right position. But anytime you make a no-look pass or rim along the boards, it's a risk. One you need to avoid taking at the offensive blueline in OT.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Playoff nails complete

full

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The narrative that the Isles stink is a bit foolish, I agree talent for talent they’re not as good as the Bruins, but that overrated trap shut down the B’s for a good part of the game last night. Bruins should win the series but it won’t be because the Isles stink.

Sure, you can disagree all you want. I will stick to my narrative. Beat the trap beat the Islanders, Not going to see a team get as lucky as they did in that second game. A lifetime of puck luck

Aside from the gift power plays stopping momentum the Bruins should have beaten them by 4 goals in that game. Carlo hit the post, that goes in the blowout begins.

Bruins will beat the Bruins if we lose this series.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Lauzon will be alright. He basically had two choices to make with the puck, and he choose the higher risk play which turned out the be the wrong one with Coyle now suddenly in the passing lane. The big mistake like Kirk said was not looking before making the pass. You can't even make the argument that Lauzon took a quick look before he touched the puck (McAvoy was nowhere near the blueline when Lauzon touched the puck) or that he may of thought in his perepheral vision he saw a black uniform that he assumed would be McAvoy which was Coyle, because he passes that puck hard and in a direction where it would move horizontally straight across basically parallel to the blue-line. He simply didn't look. He made a play on instinct rather than knowing the lane was open. Which players do all the time really, they trust their teammate will be in the right position. But anytime you make a no-look pass or rim along the boards, it's a risk. One you need to avoid taking at the offensive blueline in OT.
Yup - the kid hasn’t seen 10 playoff games yet. Experienced D is so important in a playoff push

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I don't know why I bother but my $.02 . Carlo is one of the best shutdown D in the NHL . He does his job every night . Fans that wan to change his game to their imagined style have to understand he's as good as he is because it's his game . He shuts down top forwards and blocks shots . Every shot he blocks is a potential goal and a save the goalie doesn't have to make We have seen how many deflected shots become goals .

Root

Feb 22, 2010

I agree with Lauzon making the wrong play but the one thing that is bothering me is people saying McAvoy was nowhere near the blueline or what Bruce said, which is that it would have been a 50-50 race for the puck even if the pass did make it through. Neither are true. Go back and look at it frame by frame, McAvoy was there and he had room to operate. The pass would not have been tape to tape but McAvoy would have been able to adjust and handle it to make a play.

Again, it was a bad mistake by Lauzon, he needs to play that down the boards and live to fight another day.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I've been screaming about perimeter shooting all season long it seems. And here we are in the playoffs with this same refusal to get up close to the net because they don't want to pay the price (getting knocked around). That's all this is.
Good points and you are right that you have to pay the price and go to the net.

Reactions: BMC

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Well I don't know about the rest of you but I think the Bruins will be just fine and will take at least 1 in NY. Don't commit stupid penalties and beat NY's forecheck, like they were doing in the 1st period and part of the 2nd and they will take care of business.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

I agree BD, at that speed some moves need to be automatic and small % will end as a collateral damage unfortunately but that's to be expected at that speed and split second when you are out there tired, banged up and under pressure.

I know you play hockey too, yeah it's all smooth and finesse during the warm up but after 3 periods i can almost predict when i ll do a silly move and i do it anyway...no direct correlation to Lauzon really but you know...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with Lauzon making the wrong play but the one thing that is bothering me is people saying McAvoy was nowhere near the blueline or what Bruce said, which is that it would have been a 50-50 race for the puck even if the pass did make it through. Neither are true. Go back and look at it frame by frame, McAvoy was there and he had room to operate. The pass would not have been tape to tape but McAvoy would have been able to adjust and handle it to make a play.

Again, it was a bad mistake by Lauzon, he needs to play that down the boards and live to fight another day.

Yup, had the pass actually gotten through, there was a possibility McAvoy could of gained possession of the puck. Wouldn't of been super clean or anything, but he could of done it IMO as he would of had some time with the closest winger to McAvoy nowhere in the vacinity.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree BD, at that speed some moves need to be automatic and small % will end as a collateral damage unfortunately but that's to be expected at that speed and split second when you are out there tired, banged up and under pressure.

I know you play hockey too, yeah it's all smooth and finesse during the warm up but after 3 periods i can almost predict when i ll do a silly move and i do it anyway...no direct correlation to Lauzon really but you know...

Fatigue is fatigue regardless of the sport or level of it. It has a huge impact on performance. Pro athletes obviously have way more endurance than normal folk, but it's not infinite. Even with the best line management as the game progresses your going to get progressively more tired.

I'm picking corners and going bar down in warm-up. Half-way into a shift during the game and I'm shooting muffins at the goalies chest. Everyone looks like a million buck in warm up. The more fatigued you are the more brain farts you have on the ice. Early in a period Lauzon maybe doesn't make that mistake. Not that it's an excuse, but it's a factor.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't know why I bother but my $.02 . Carlo is one of the best shutdown D in the NHL . He does his job every night . Fans that wan to change his game to their imagined style have to understand he's as good as he is because it's his game . He shuts down top forwards and blocks shots . Every shot he blocks is a potential goal and a save the goalie doesn't have to make We have seen how many deflected shots become goals .

I don't expect Carlo to have a strong passing game or contribute a lot on offense, 'cause indeed, that's just not in his skillset. But I have two problems with his play at times - firstly his handling of the puck in his own zone is average, and on bad days it's downright jittery and lacks composure. The second, and I see this as the bigger issue, is that he too-often gets himself out of position and isn't where he should be. For a top-4 shutdown D, that's inexcusable.

When Carlo's playing well he's a really solid, reliable player. But when his confidence is down, like it clearly is at the moment, he seem to get nervous and he starts making poor decisions. I get that it's tough for a guy when he's not feeling on top of his game, especially in a playoff situation and with the very interrupted season Brandon has had. But he can't let those nerves translate into negatively impacting core aspects of his game as much as it does, IMO.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Fatigue is fatigue regardless of the sport or level of it. It has a huge impact on performance. Pro athletes obviously have way more endurance than normal folk, but it's not infinite. Even with the best line management as the game progresses your going to get progressively more tired.

I'm picking corners and going bar down in warm-up. Half-way into a shift during the game and I'm shooting muffins at the goalies chest. Everyone looks like a million buck in warm up. The more fatigued you are the more brain farts you have on the ice. Early in a period Lauzon maybe doesn't make that mistake. Not that it's an excuse, but it's a factor.

Definitely.

Down the boards or along the blueline...1st choice is a safe play obviously but 2nd choice is way more attractive, you want to keep posession and make a play.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Another thing on the winning goal. Give Cizikas credit for letting that shot go as early as he did. He was pretty far out to shoot on a break-away. Had he decided to hold onto the puck or deke the goaltender, I think Lauzon might of caught him or at least got a piece of him to disrupt the scoring chance.

Talk about a perfect storm all in about 6-7 seconds.

I hope Bruce plays Lauzon next game. He knows he made an error. He doesn't need to be punished for it, I can almost guarantee he's punished himself enough in the past 20+ hours . Give the kid a pat on the back and let him go out and make up for his error.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Kirk rules!
Kirk’s write up is excellent and spells out why, all things considered, it was the wrong play to make. It cost us. But it’s certainly not the only thing that cost us last night.

What pisses me off though were all the emotional responses here calling the kid an AHL’er, wishing him off to the Kraken, that he sucks, etc., etc. That sucks, not Lauzon. You show me a kid who puts in effort and I’ll support him. Particularly when he’s probably come back early from a hand injury. By the way, why does he have that injury? Because he put his hand in the way of a shot. Smartest move health wise? No. Gutsy play putting team success ahead of self? Yes.

I also didn’t see those same posters micro-analyzing why the Bruins got hemmed in for long tiring stretches during OT. Or why at one point in OT the Isles had outshot us by some outrageous margin for significant chunks of minutes. Think any of that had an impact on a decision that Kirk spells out was not boneheaded or lazy (as some suggested). It had some merit, but ultimately was not the right play for obvious reasons.

Of course if the pass had gone through and we’d scored as a result, same fans would be saying what a ballsy pass it was and heaping kudos on him. The kid made a mistake — as Kirk says in a split second situation under pressure.

I’m still very pissed off at the reaction of some towards Lauzon. Very. And I truly truly truly don’t give a shit what anybody thinks of that. Not one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad