Post-Game Talk: EDF Game 2 - Islanders tie up the series in OT - Game 3 Thursday in Uniondale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Agree. I’d be able to let it go and say “ehh, it’s the playoffs, they pass on a lot of penalties,” but the Carlo call blew that narrative right out of the water. And that call made all the difference. Based on how the game was called it’s inexcusable and really showed the league’s hand. Brandon Carlo on Leo Komerov...hahaha...suuuure...as Cassidy said, really weird they picked him out of all that scrum...IN THE PLAYOFFS. Playoffs...that was the way the game was being officiated? That’s the script? Weird it disappeared right there.

And of course, the Isles were choir boys all night. Oh sorry, I forgot they got a too many men at the end, so that gets wiped away. All good.

But if giving the officiating a free pass lets people stick their head in the sand and say everything is above board, whatever helps them sleep at night and enjoy the games.
Go back and watch the game on replay. You will see that the penalty is actually called before the whistle blows play dead.

The extracurriculars after the whistle had nothing to do with Carlo getting a penalty. It was already called. If anything, Carlo was trying to goad Komarov into getting a roughing minor so they would go 4 on 4.

Nobody is sticking their head in the sand or giving anybody a free pass. I would just prefer not to watch a hockey game with 15 power plays every night......

But please, don't let me discourage you from a perfectly good conspiracy theory.......

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
The sad part is that there really were two guys open.

upload_2021-6-1_16-36-15.png

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Game/series management isn’t about who they want in the Finals, that’s for later, this is about extending the series. That first game was a Bruins fest and they got a little nervous. As Pierre said all game 1, settle in for a long series. A lot of people were feeling like they might be disappointed and out of some good revenue.

I hear what everyone is saying, I get it, but I still haven’t heard a good response to why it’s outlandish I feel this way after a long time NHL ref was caught doing exactly what I’m talking about. It’s an inconvenient truth. Right there on record.

The funniest thing is it’s kinda the worst kept secret...everyone knows the officials and league have their own agenda...it’s accepted...you just can’t officially say it...or oh no...you’re gone.

But then these situations come up....and I’m nuts for bringing it up. It’s like the sketchy relative no one wants to acknowledge. Just act like he/she doesn’t exist.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
yeah the replay I saw too showed little evidence that he actually played the puck or tried to but whatever, I don`t rely on the NHL`s terrible officiating
It was just in front of where we were sitting, I actually thought he threw the shaft of the stick at the puck rather than trying to make a play, I guess it would be same call as you also cannot do that with a piece of broken stick:skeptic:

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
The sad part is that there really were two guys open.

View attachment 441890

Yup... just had to take a peak before the puck got to him so he knew what to do... instead he didn't know where either guy was, assumed Mac was on the far blue line and just ripped a pass across... directly into Coyle. If he makes a softer/more calculated play, could have resulted in a scoring chance for us versus a win for them.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yes Yes, The 2 whole points better in the standings through 56 games suggest its impossible for the islanders to win a game without it being fixed completely.

:facepalm:

The Islanders stink, overrated boring trap team. Bruins lose to them heads should roll

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Meh, it's a series now.

Both teams had very close chances in OT. Could have gone either way – typical of playoff OT.

I still don't understand the Carlo penalty. Seems like a pretty low bar for Bruins penalties when the other team can elbow a player in the face who's in a vulnerable position. But, whatever.

Lauzon made a mistake, but it was also a little unlucky. He also saved what probably would have been a sure goal prior to that. People are surprised that stats show one of our 3rd pairing D is our worst D? Well, I guess so.

If Czisikas was a right hand shot, Lauzon may have been able to catch up to him and disrupt his shot. But he's a lefty. No chance.

On to game 3. I see no reason to doubt the B's can win at least one game of the next two in their barn.

Reactions: bme44

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The Islanders stink, overrated boring trap team. Bruins lose to them heads should roll
The narrative that the Isles stink is a bit foolish, I agree talent for talent they’re not as good as the Bruins, but that overrated trap shut down the B’s for a good part of the game last night. Bruins should win the series but it won’t be because the Isles stink.

Reactions: Bearclaw and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I loathe Bettman, and it wouldn't surprise if he secretly roots for NYI because of the New York market, but I agree.

It's notable that, as mentioned elsewhere, the Bruins over the past 15 years rarely receive the benefit of a call. There may well be bias among referees, conscious or no.

What we have here, though, is likely poor officiating, as McGarnagle points out.

Them's the breaks, and regardless, Kirk Luedeke has it absolutely right:

Breaking down “ill-advised” Lauzon pass; Islanders even series in OT

Do you not get how absurd that sounds?

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
that play is just plain stupid with two players behind the goal line, the other defenseman 10 feet inside the blue line, with yourself against the boards. Trying to defend it is ludicrous
Personally, for a D to D pass it needs to be between the hash marks and blue line with the pass receiver in motion forward preferably. Otherwise have the retrieving defenseman carry it out or make a hard first pass out

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
The narrative that the Isles stink is a bit foolish, I agree talent for talent they’re not as good as the Bruins, but that overrated trap shut down the B’s for a good part of the game last night. Bruins should win the series but it won’t be because the Isles stink.
Agree let’s all stop this bullshit the Islanders stink talk aren’t very good shit. Look it we are in for a fight. I wish some people would accept it. Nothing ever comes easy and nothing ever will. The Islanders have scored some BS goals. Well how about clearing some NYI players out in front of the net D. Don’t lose puck battles that’s how it begins.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
the play , as they practice daily per Butch, was to read and chip into corner.
They all would have read the same situation and anticipated going to near corner and front set.
He made a horrible decision plus I wish I didn’t see that picture. Lauzon knows it. Unfortunately the second period was on all of his teammates. ALL OF HIS TEAMMATES!

Reactions: BTO

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He made a horrible decision plus I wish I didn’t see that picture. Lauzon knows it. Unfortunately the second period was on all of his teammates. ALL OF HIS TEAMMATES!

He made a rookie mistake. The other guys know what the play should have been.
But like Marchy said - shit happens.
As long as the kid learned from it is what’s important.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Go back and watch the game on replay. You will see that the penalty is actually called before the whistle blows play dead.

The extracurriculars after the whistle had nothing to do with Carlo getting a penalty. It was already called. If anything, Carlo was trying to goad Komarov into getting a roughing minor so they would go 4 on 4.

Nobody is sticking their head in the sand or giving anybody a free pass. I would just prefer not to watch a hockey game with 15 power plays every night......

But please, don't let me discourage you from a perfectly good conspiracy theory.......

This is 100% incorrect. The play is ongoing, with no delayed penalty, until the linesman whistles it dead for the puck being offside. In that instant the expectation is a puck drop in the neutral zone. But then Carlo goes after Komarov, they exchange in some pushing and shoving, and only then is Carlo assessed a penalty - 2 mins for cross checking Uncle Leo.

Now how could Carlo be called for cross checking before the whistle when he was nowhere near Komarov before then? You're argument is wrong. Carlo was absolutely penalized for for the roughing after the whistle, and nothing more. And here's the thing - did Brandon instigate the clash with Komarov on this occasion? Yes he did, no question. But why give him a penalty for that and not penalize any of the other 50 times when guys started getting physical with each other after the whistle? It's cherry picking and it's inconsistent.

The intent from the officials was probably to make an example of Carlo and try and stamp out too much extracurricular stuff before it got out of hand, which we know is standard NHL officiating practice. Who knows what conversations between players and refs led up to that moment. But the problem there is it still becomes an exercise in game management, rather than simply calling the game on its merits for the whole 60+ mins, and that's where you get into very grey territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad