Post-Game Talk: EDF Game 2 - Islanders tie up the series in OT - Game 3 Thursday in Uniondale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Root

Feb 22, 2010
It wasn't a "bad mistake"... it was unlucky. No idea why Coyle was up that high between the two 2 on a cycle.

I’m a big Lauzon fan but he did make a mistake in that he made a risky pass at a dangerous area of the ice and did not execute it. Cizikas actually had his stick along the boards giving Lauzon the middle of the ice. Coyle made himself an option and the pass to him was there to be made. Also, as stated earlier, if that pass gets by Coyle’s skate McAvoy would have received the puck. But all of that doesn’t matter because the pass wasn’t executed and it cost the Bruins.

Lauzon deserves criticism but some of the piling on by guys like Ty Anderson (Not a fan, guy is a number watcher only) is frustrating. So Lauzon has been on the ice for a lot of goals for, maybe if either of their “top-4” left shot defensemen could PK or were given more defensive zone starts against opposing teams top lines the Bruins wouldn’t have to rely on a rookie to play those hard minutes. I love what Gryz and Reilly bring on the transition and in the offensive zone but if you can’t defend against the best then you aren’t a top-4 defensemen.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Another thing on the winning goal. Give Cizikas credit for letting that shot go as early as he did. He was pretty far out to shoot on a break-away. Had he decided to hold onto the puck or deke the goaltender, I think Lauzon might of caught him or at least got a piece of him to disrupt the scoring chance.

Talk about a perfect storm all in about 6-7 seconds.

I hope Bruce plays Lauzon next game. He knows he made an error. He doesn't need to be punished for it, I can almost guarantee he's punished himself enough in the past 20+ hours . Give the kid a pat on the back and let him go out and make up for his error.
Thank you. I think him smashing his stick on the post afterwards underscores your point. He knows he made an error. Decent fans should support him.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Brad Marchand's comments about Lauzon were all I needed to see to know that room has his back and will fight to keep him in the line up.

I'm sure a good conversation with Bergy in his native French probably made him feel better as well.

Lauzon doesn't deserve to be shredded.

The entire team needs to be ripped for the piss poor play in the 2nd period. THAT is what cost them the game.

All that said, I expect Tinordi in on Thursday to beef up the snarl factor. Clutterbuck is running around and it has to stop.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Brad Marchand's comments about Lauzon were all I needed to see to know that room has his back and will fight to keep him in the line up.

I'm sure a good conversation with Bergy in his native French probably made him feel better as well.

Lauzon doesn't deserve to be shredded.

The entire team needs to be ripped for the piss poor play in the 2nd period. THAT is what cost them the game.

All that said, I expect Tinordi in on Thursday to beef up the snarl factor. Clutterbuck is running around and it has to stop.
Yup. 2nd period was brutal. They need to wake up and stop coughing up the puck in the D zone.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Love the link there - hard to find much issue with a guy who knows as much and writes as clearly as Kirk.

Kirk Luedeke's blog, Scouting Post

scoutingpost

includes semi-regular posts about the B's, often B's prospects. You'll see more of them at this time of year. He has been a writer for Redline Report and is presently assistant GM for the USHL Omaha Lancers.

Kirk and some knowledgable hockey people (including our own Dominic Tiano) also occasionally offer in depth podcasts as well.

Kirk is a straight shooter who is fair, intelligent, and thoughtful. Not a common set of traits these days.

Check it out.

"You'll be glad you did."

Reactions: 774EVER and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It's well explained. Good reading.

Lauzon will be alright. He basically had two choices to make with the puck, and he choose the higher risk play which turned out the be the wrong one with Coyle now suddenly in the passing lane. The big mistake like Kirk said was not looking before making the pass. You can't even make the argument that Lauzon took a quick look before he touched the puck (McAvoy was nowhere near the blueline when Lauzon touched the puck) or that he may of thought in his perepheral vision he saw a black uniform that he assumed would be McAvoy which was Coyle, because he passes that puck hard and in a direction where it would move horizontally straight across basically parallel to the blue-line. He simply didn't look. He made a play on instinct rather than knowing the lane was open. Which players do all the time really, they trust their teammate will be in the right position. But anytime you make a no-look pass or rim along the boards, it's a risk. One you need to avoid taking at the offensive blueline in OT.

Totally agree. It's inexcusable that Lauzon didn't look before making that pass. That's just fundamental hockey.

To me, always, always go for the high percentage, low risk play. Tossing a puck out like that, or Jarrey clearing the puck straight out into the neutral zone (sic) is careless, sloppy hockey.

Chances are, it will bite you. So why test the theory?

In the event, Lauzon will be fine. He may need to sit for awhile, however. Tinordi is a servicable replacement, can handle the physical stuff, and will not be entering the game tied up in mental knots.

Let's see how it goes.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
thinking about the game. i remembered a play when varlarmov lost his stick. think it was second period. Did he throw it at the puck?They never showed a replay of it or mentioned it.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Kirk’s write up is excellent and spells out why, all things considered, it was the wrong play to make. It cost us. But it’s certainly not the only thing that cost us last night.

What pisses me off though were all the emotional responses here calling the kid an AHL’er, wishing him off to the Kraken, that he sucks, etc., etc. That sucks, not Lauzon. You show me a kid who puts in effort and I’ll support him. Particularly when he’s probably come back early from a hand injury. By the way, why does he have that injury? Because he put his hand in the way of a shot. Smartest move health wise? No. Gutsy play putting team success ahead of self? Yes.

I also didn’t see those same posters micro-analyzing why the Bruins got hemmed in for long tiring stretches during OT. Or why at one point in OT the Isles had outshot us by some outrageous margin for significant chunks of minutes. Think any of that had an impact on a decision that Kirk spells out was not boneheaded or lazy (as some suggested). It had some merit, but ultimately was not the right play for obvious reasons.

Of course if the pass had gone through and we’d scored as a result, same fans would be saying what a ballsy pass it was and heaping kudos on him. The kid made a mistake — as Kirk says in a split second situation under pressure.

I’m still very pissed off at the reaction of some towards Lauzon. Very. And I truly truly truly don’t give a shit what anybody thinks of that. Not one bit.

Great post. Agree 100%.

This place is getting pretty crazy. LF in all it's glory. :)

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
The Islanders O-zone puck possession & the long change killed the Bs last night in the 2nd & OT. Cassidy needs to figure out how to break that. I'd also like to see Kuhlman on the 2nd rather than JDB if Smith can't go. Yes, yes I know Kuhlman is offensively challenged but he's similar to Smith with his speed & puck-hounding to open up space for Krech & Hall. He also can give decent passes sometimes as well. Carlo looks either lazy, hurt, or tired. Not sure what his deal is. Cliffy has looked great to me. Lauzy has struggled for sure. Reilly has been ok, a few brainfarts. If we skate for 60, we should win in 5 or 6. LFGGGGG!!!!!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It wasn't a "bad mistake"... it was unlucky. No idea why Coyle was up that high between the two 2 on a cycle.

Disagree. It was a bad mistake. Unthinking and sloppy. High risk, low percentage.

As Kirk, and Andrew Raycroft have pointed out, almost anyone else in the lineup would have looked to make certain before attempting such a pass.

That's not to single out Lauzon. I like him and I believe he will be fine.

As Marchand said, "Shit happens. It happens to everyone."

And, as Raycroft noted, Lauzon is unlikely to ever make that kind of mistake again. In his career.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The narrative that the Isles stink is a bit foolish, I agree talent for talent they’re not as good as the Bruins, but that overrated trap shut down the B’s for a good part of the game last night. Bruins should win the series but it won’t be because the Isles stink.
Plenty of teams have won cups playing that overrated trap.....New Jersey and LA come to mind most recently.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I'm not concerned yet but winning Game 3 in Uniondale would take some pressure off.

That dump was loud in the first round when 9.000 fans were allowed and now it is up to 14K.

The arena is part of the story in this series as the Islanders move 10 miles east next year.
Remember the bruins won twice in Columbus a couple years ago with the cannons going off. Plus games 3,6 @ STL in the Finals. They have what it takes . Will it happen we will see.

Reactions: sooshii and Alicat

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
yup.
but rask was lights out those games.
he needs to be better than game 2.

Actually 2019 G 4 against Toronto and G 3 STL was a clear cut below G 6 against Columbus and G 3/4 against Carolina.

Problem is NYI are better defensively than Toronto, Columbus and Carolina.

Rask being dinged up is really bad news but
it makes sense as he has given up more
leaky goals than usual.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Remember the bruins won twice in Columbus a couple years ago with the cannons going off. Plus games 3,6 @ STL in the Finals. They have what it takes . Will it happen we will see.
Bruins have actually played better on the road in the playoffs,I think anyway,would have preferred game 7 to have been in STL.Also won some big games in Toronto over the years ,although that’s not really much of an accomplishment everyone beats them.Lol

Reactions: BAD BOY

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Plenty of teams have won cups playing that overrated trap.....New Jersey and LA come to mind most recently.

Literally only chance NYI have to win Cup is if Hedman or Point and McKinnon or Makar get injured and are out.

NJ had HOF Brodeur, Stevens and Neids and quality F like Arnott, Elias and Guerin.

LA had peak Quick, Doughty, Kopitar and Carter.

Absolutely no

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Lauzon made a very poor passing decision at an inopportune time. It is not regulation time where you have a chance to recover and right the ship. One shot and the game is over.

All you Lauzon admirers are entitled to your opinion but I think he is a very marginal NHL defenseman at best. If he proves me wrong then advantage Bruins.

MarbleMist

May 17, 2021
I'm not concerned yet but winning Game 3 in Uniondale would take some pressure off.

That dump was loud in the first round when 9.000 fans were allowed and now it is up to 14K.

The arena is part of the story in this series as the Islanders move 10 miles east next year.

The big boys show what they're all about when they walk (or skate) into the lion's den. The intensity of the Nassau crowd is a big positive in my book, as a repeat of Monday's lazy second period is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They need to fix both their faceoff problem as well as get their PP and PK right.

Islanders PK is 62.5%. We need to capitalize on them when we get them.

Also, Bergeron has been awful against Cizikas who is at a ridiculous 64.2% FO percentage.

Need to win more battles at the dot.

Reactions: BAD BOY and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad