ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I honestly wonder why that is. They both play the same number of games and play in the same arena that seats the same amount of fans (if it’s sold out). Why does a playoff basketball game bring in double the revenue of a playoff hockey game?
Easy. Higher priced tickets.

Reactions: CDN24

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Seeing a lot of “Bob stole the game” but don’t really think that was the case. Most of his best work came in the last minute of a 4-2 lead. The Panthers have a big issue with taking their foot off the gas with a lead so score effects play a big part in their games.

Panthers were easily the better team at 5v5 through the first period (and really throughout the whole game). Toronto dominated when on the PP (this will happen all series) and 6v5 in the last couple minutes.

The difference in play for Florida depending on the score, especially in terms of their aggression, is obvious and was seen in the last 3 games of the BOS series as well.

Game 5 the Panthers gave up 3 separate one goal leads but bounced back for the next goal each time the game was tied up.

Game 6 they again blew 3 separate one goal leads but again turned the aggression back up and immediately tied up the game twice when trailing in the 3rd and used the forecheck to take the lead when tied late in the 3rd again.

Game 7 another similar story. Aggressive to earn a 2-0 lead. Sat on it which led to a 3-2 Bruins lead. Got the tying goal and carried play most of OT

Hard to draw too many conclusions about how the series will play out based on one game where the Panthers led almost the whole way. In a neutral game state and at 5v5, the Panthers had the better of the play

Maybe not stole but Toronto certainly had more scoring chances than Florida that game, and it wasn't really that close either.

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023
From my pov it was more Florida slightly better 1st period, Toronto much better 2nd period, Toronto slightly better in the 3rd because of score effects.
yeah I saw it the same. Florida way better in first other than the PP's, and then toronto dominated the second. The third was only toronto because the panthers were protecting the lead. And honestly the leafs didn't look very good in the third until they pulled the goalie.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
From my pov it was more Florida slightly better 1st period, Toronto much better 2nd period, Toronto slightly better in the 3rd because of score effects.

Finally someone mentions score effects, only took like 20 pages!

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Maybe not stole but Toronto certainly had more scoring chances than Florida that game, and it wasn't really that close either.
Natural stat trick has scoring chances at 5v5 as 25-20 in favor of the Panthers

8-1 in favor of Toronto on powerplays

And 11-0 in favor of Toronto during the ~3 minutes they played with an empty net down 2

Again credit to Toronto for the late push but the game was mostly locked up by the time they actually created many of their chances

The Panthers were the better team at 5 on 5 which made up 80% of the ice time from last night’s game

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Bob has given the right amount of quality goaltending. He’s not been amazing or lame.

The Cats attack and know who to neutralize, that’s come in big for them.

The Leafs are totally underestimated. I wouldn’t count them out at all.

This series is absolutely even money.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Natural stat trick has scoring chances at 5v5 as 25-20 in favor of the Panthers

8-1 in favor of Toronto on powerplays

And 11-0 in favor of Toronto during the ~3 minutes they played with an empty net down 2

Again credit to Toronto for the late push but the game was mostly locked up by the time they actually created many of their chances

The Panthers were the better team at 5 on 5 which made up 80% of the ice time from last night’s game

So that's 39-26. That's not very close really. 5v5 was close though.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
No doubt - Panthers play a heavy game and have a lot of skill, but also give up a lot the other way.

Great game to watch despite the loss even the officiating was sound.

The Leafs are going to get a lot of chances in this series, I bet.

Florida seems content to trade blows up and down the ice and let the goalies fight it out.

If that’s how this series goes, and you’re betting on bobrovsky to be vezina level night after night, I have to think that’s not a great bet.

I think the leafs are too highly skilled to lose this series, and they aren’t easily pushed around anymore.

Of course, if bob puts up a .960 this series, panthers are going to run away with it

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Power plays were pretty one sided in favour of Toronto but they failed to take advantage of it. Have to think the penalties are more even going forward.

They were technically 5-1. But a double minor with 40 seconds left. Panthers scored on the delayed powerplay, so it was 4-2.

That post just goes to show how many people ignore the game and just look at the stat sheet, or box scores without any context whatsoever.

Must be why there are so many bad takes in here

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
The Leafs are going to get a lot of chances in this series, I bet.

Florida seems content to trade blows up and down the ice and let the goalies fight it out.

If that’s how this series goes, and you’re betting on bobrovsky to be vezina level night after night, I have to think that’s not a great bet.

I think the leafs are too highly skilled to lose this series, and they aren’t easily pushed around anymore.

Of course, if bob puts up a .960 this series, panthers are going to run away with it
If Bob is at .920 for the series, the Panthers will be fine. Boston was a pretty skilled team as well, with a better d-core.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
But how many of these chances happened in the last 8 minutes when the score was 4-2 Panthers?

11-0.

We also scored 3 goals down 4-1 with 10 minutes left against Tampa so it's not like the game was totally out of reach.

Should be a good close series the rest of the way though, as long as the Panthers can stay disciplined.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think a lot of people in general slept on panthers…. They are a much stronger team than what their seed is… and 1 of the hotter teams coming into the playoffs.

Florida is deep and physical and will be all over samsonov in the series …. The big question is can their goaltending hold up…. And can they keep Toronto’s offense in check.

Tough to say who will win the series, I’m just hoping for exciting games
Absolutely, the majority narrative of the last round was that even if we defeated Tampa ( but it will go 7 and the Leafs will lose) we would get destroyed by Boston.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Leafs have Boston's 1st round pick. Of course they wanted Boston to lose. Regardless of this series, Boston losing in the first round was favourable to the Leafs.
Let's be real here, no one gives a rats ass about the draft pick, they care about winning the 2023 Stanley Cup

Reactions: BlueSeal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad