ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There is a 0% chance that Marchment (who was elite last year), Vatrano and losing Weegar is greater than the difference between Florida Huberdeau and Tkachuk. Not even getting into losing Giroux, Chiarot, etc.

The Panthers look like a much better playoff team this year than last year, so I don't know what to tell you. It's a better mix of players. The way Tkachuk plays is a massive difference vs. the way Huberdeau played. They also have a very different mentality. Lots of "lessons learned" last year. Isn't that what Toronto is banking on too?

(Just like the Leafs, btw. They have a different, but much better, mix).

But keep looking at paper lines, I guess.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why do the cats have rats as a mascot?, in my mind its like the Leafs having fertilizer as a mascot lol

When the Cats made their first ever cup run Scott Mellanby killed a rat in their locker room with a hockey stick. The story went viral, the Panthers made plastic rats for everyone and they would litter the ice with them, birthing the NHL rule that teams can be penalized for their fans delaying the game by tossing stuff on the ice.

Also Tkachuk’s nickname by us Oiler fans was Ratboy. Now you will find out why.

Fertilizer is an apt mascot for the Leafs actually as it’s made of shit, something the Leafs have been since 1967.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This was such a good team
1682953334417.png

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
If you're going to say they upgraded Huberdeau to Tkachuk, you also have to acknowledge that they lost Marchment, Weegar, Vatrano.

We have. But, the Panthers have had growth from internal players like Luostarinen and Lundell-playoff wise has stepped up. The only clear downgrade has been the blueline, but with Weegar leaving, it allowed Montour to have bigger roles which he has flourished in. That's the one spot I wish Zito got another player at the TDL.

Talent wise Panther have taken a hit, but to Paul Maurice credit his changes have made 3 competent lines. Time will tell if they will have the same impact vs Toronto as they did versus Boston.

I wish the Matt Tkachuk line had a better 3rd wheel other than Cousins but he fits well in that forecheck/pestering setup with Bennett and Chucky.
The first line rides or dies on which Barkov shows up.
3rd line of Lundell, Luostarinen and Reinhart clicked well.

(edit- I may of injected in a big discussion- so not sure how long this back and forth has gone)

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The Panthers look like a much better playoff team this year than last year, so I don't know what to tell you. It's a better mix of players. The way Tkachuk plays is a massive difference vs. the way Huberdeau played.

(Just like the Leafs, btw. They have a different, but much better, mix).

But keep looking at paper lines, I guess.

Just because they look better doesn't mean they are a better playoff team than the previous year. The same thing applies to the Leafs as well. Process is independent of outcome.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
We have. But, the Panthers have had growth from internal players like Luostarinen and Lundell-playoff wise has stepped up. The only clear downgrade has been the blueline, but with Weegar leaving, it allowed Montour to have bigger roles which he has flourished in. That's the one spot I wish Zito got another player at the TDL.

Talent wise Panther have taken a hit, but to Paul Maurice credit his changes have made 3 competent lines. Time will tell if they will have the same impact vs Toronto as they did versus Boston.

I wish the Matt Tkachuk line had a better 3rd wheel other than Cousins but he fits well in that forecheck/pestering setup with Bennett and Chucky.

Montour has also quieted down all the chatter of Florida's D being AHL quality.

Reactions: ShootIt

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is there another definition for "pretty boy"?

They play in our division, Einstein. We know how good they are.

The full rat experience? Like, you mean, the full Scott Mellanby experience? I am petrified.

Marner, Nylander, Matthew’s are the other definition for pretty boy. Man purses, fashion whores, their pre-game “fit”, the whole bit.

The fact you don’t know what I’m referring to with the “full rat experience” proves my point that you’ve no clue what your in for with Bennett and Tkachuk.

Keep on Leafing though.

• Haha
Reactions: Just Rude

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
When the Cats made their first ever cup run Scott Mellanby killed a rat in their locker room with a hockey stick. The story went viral, the Panthers made plastic rats for everyone and they would litter the ice with them, birthing the NHL rule that teams can be penalized for their fans delaying the game by tossing stuff on the ice.

Also Tkachuk’s nickname by us Oiler fans was Ratboy. Now you will find out why.

Fertilizer is an apt mascot for the Leafs actually as it’s made of shit, something the Leafs have been since 1967.
Do you know the story of why the Leafs are called the Leafs? Its a pretty bad ass story

Reactions: Ratsreign

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Just because they look better doesn't mean they are a better playoff team than the previous year. The same thing applies to the Leafs as well.

Yes it does? How you play and whether you win is what matters.

The Leafs won a playoff round this year. They played a hard-nosed style and came up clutch.
Last year, they didn't win a playoff round. They played a perimeter game and didn't come up clutch.

Ergo – they're a better playoff team this year.

Same goes for the Panthers. They play very differently compared to last season. Their style of play is much better suited for the playoffs.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

I'm not undermining the upgrade from Huberdeau to Tkachuk. I fully understand and acknowledge Tkachuk has played like an MVP calibre player this year.

But at the same time, Marchment was legitimately an elite winger last year, and the fact that people are just glossing over that loss is quite ignorant. Sure there has been internal improvements, and Montour has played well, but there's no way the internal improvement from Montour is enough to bridge the gap between Marc Staal and Weegar. That's a sub-replacement level defender to a top pair D.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm as impressed as anyone but...they impressed you? With what their ability to stay in games they had no business being in?
Not an easy series either way but no excuses if the Leafs don't win it. This series will be high octane and fun to watch
You do realize Florida was the better team most of the series right? Some of you just started watching hockey and it shows.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yes it does? How you play and whether you win is what matters.

The Leafs won a playoff round this year. They played a hard-nosed style and came up clutch.
Last year, they didn't win a playoff round. They played a perimeter game and didn't come up clutch.

Ergo – they're a better playoff team this year.

Same goes for the Panthers. They play very differently compared to last season. Their style of play is much better suited for the playoffs.

They were one shot away in Game 6 last year and in Game 7 too. John Tavares, Morgan Rielly and Alex Kerfoot did not do anything "different" this year compared to last year. The Leafs got 3 bounces this year that they didn't last year. That doesn't mean they're a better playoff team. They just got the bounces. That's the way it goes. The Leafs were objectively better at controlling play last year.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
They were one shot away in Game 6 last year and in Game 7 too. John Tavares, Morgan Rielly and Alex Kerfoot did not do anything "different" this year compared to last year. The Leafs got 3 bounces this year that they didn't last year. That doesn't mean they're a better playoff team. They just got the bounces. That's the way it goes. The Leafs were objectively better at controlling play last year.

We'll disagree. I think having guys like O'Reilly, Schenn and Acciari in the series instead of Mikheyev, Sandin and Engvall was a much "different" look. Controlling play on the perimeter vs winning games in the trenches isn't the same thing.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
There is a 0% chance that Marchment (who was elite last year), Vatrano and losing Weegar is greater than the difference between Florida Huberdeau and Tkachuk. Not even getting into losing Giroux, Chiarot, etc.
Nah but the big difference is upgrading to Maurice. poMo is no Q but last year Bruno couldn’t make adjustments: he didn’t even have Montour on the 1st PP when we had a historically disgusting start

We are less deep team than last year but better coaching and it seems like a stronger core: Tkachuk’s guarantee would have been unthinkable

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
We'll disagree. I think having guys like O'Reilly, Schenn and Acciari in the series instead of Mikheyev, Sandin and Engvall was a much "different" look. Controlling play on the perimeter vs winning games in the trenches isn't the same thing.

Fair enough, but I would say go watch game 6 OT last year. The Leafs got stoned by Vasy several times. Better looks (objectively) than virtually any chance they generated in any OT period this year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Panthers were 24-13-4 in the last 41 regular season games. Leafs were 25-12-4. This is an even matchup. I expect it to go 6 or 7, and wouldn't at all be surprised if Florida took it.
Sure, but also half way through the season the Leafs were essentially only playing for home in the first round. They were 11 points back of the Bruins and already 15 ahead of the Sabres (who were the 4th place team in the division at that time). The chances they'd drop into a wildcard spot or catch the Bruins were pretty slim from basically game ~35 on in the season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Only four Bruins finished the series as a plus at 5-on-5:
- Pavel Zacha +4
- Taylor Hall +4
- Hampus Lindholm +3
- Nick Foligno +1

Boston had 27 PP opportunities that made the series a lot closer.

The Bruins did choke this series if you look at it from: Who is going to win this series before the start of the series and at 3-1.

But the Panthers absolutely outplayed them on ES. They're a scary team and I swear to god I'll lose it if Keefe plays Holl after watching him get taken advantage of by Tampa every shift.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nah but the big difference is upgrading to Maurice. poMo is no Q but last year Bruno couldn’t make adjustments: he didn’t even have Montour on the 1st PP when we had a historically disgusting start

We are less deep team than last year but better coaching and it seems like a stronger core: Tkachuk’s guarantee would have been unthinkable

I agree Maurice is underrated and a big upgrade. I'm just saying on paper they're not the president's trophy team of last year. Still an underrated team that the Leafs shouldn't take lightly. But looking at the depth of last year vs. this year, I don't think coaching and internal improvements make up the gap. We'll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad