ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Three Leafs in the top seven hit leaders in these playoffs, genius. First year watching hockey?

Funny how you equate what I’m saying with hits, genius.

Enjoy the full Rat experience. You’ll maybe figure out what I’m talking about then.

Wearing that exact ring right now. Obviously without the 1st round meme.

I figured they would issue a special edition of it. When is the parade?

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Enjoy the full Rat experience. You’ll maybe figure out what I’m talking about then.

I figured they would issue a special edition of it. When is the parade?
Why do the cats have rats as a mascot?, in my mind its like the Leafs having fertilizer as a mascot lol

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

Is there another definition for "pretty boy"?

They play in our division, Einstein. We know how good they are.

The full rat experience? Like, you mean, the full Scott Mellanby experience? I am petrified.

Reactions: Rude Dog

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Sweep for the Leafs. Don't do like the Boston Dmen and give the puck away all the time.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto definitely goes into this series as a favourite, but mostly because of narrative. They shouldn't be taking Florida lightly, and I'm surprised at how many people are saying they now have an "easy path" to the finals (same with the Oilers).

The Panthers are not just some scrappy wildcard team. They brought back 13 players from last year's President's trophy roster, upgraded from Huberdeau to Tkachuk, and have a Cup-winning coach behind the bench. Yeah, they had some struggles in the regular season, but haven't we learned from history? You just have to get hot at the right time.

I give tons of credit to the Leafs for beating the Lightning, because the result is all that matters, but that series was a coin flip. It wasn't domination by any stretch. 3OT games and Tampa led for more than they trailed. Plus, Cernak was out, Hedman/Point were playing at 70%, and the Bolts came into the playoffs playing shit hockey for the last 1.5 months of the season.

The Panthers just beat a much better team, came into the playoffs on a heater, and IMO, matchup better with the Leafs than this version of the Bolts did. They deserve much more respect than they're getting.

Panthers were 24-13-4 in the last 41 regular season games. Leafs were 25-12-4. This is an even matchup. I expect it to go 6 or 7, and wouldn't at all be surprised if Florida took it.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, including the expectation that this will be a close series. I wouldn't write off Florida in the slightest.

I also agree the Bolts looked like the better team much of the series versus Toronto, but how many times have I watched this Maple Leafs roster look like the better team, only to still lose?

All too often would be my answer, including last year. Getting great goaltending, and knowing how to come back / close out a close game when the pressure is on and the forecheck ramps up, are important components to sustainable playoff hockey. It's something that has been missing from Toronto's playoff formula, but they had in that series versus Tampa Bay. The Panthers displayed it last night, and the Bruins, in uncharacteristic fashion, did not (they looked nervous).

If you're mentioning injuries, it's also important to note Marchand was still reporting not being a 100% from his hip surgery (as of March), Bergeron was struggling with a herniated disc, and the lockerrom was hit by the flu before game one began. Credit to the Panthers for executing on their plan and finishing every check on Marchand, but if you're going to raise Cernak and Hedman for the Lightning, I think you'd be remiss not to mention Boston's best players were also working through various ailments. It happens, and it doesn't take anything away from the team who wins (be it Toronto, Florida, or Seattle).

I predict a close series, six or seven games.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs obviously the favorite here, but I think Florida is highly underrated (although that might change with how they knocked off Boston). They play a very cohesive game, everybody is on the same page, and that's the most dangerous thing in the playoffs. This will be a very tough series for both teams, but I think the Leafs ultimately take it in 6 or 7.

I said the same thing when the Panthers were locked in against the Bruins.

Florida is capable of beating any team, they play a very annoying style.

Leafs are still favourites for sure, but favourites doesn't mean anything anymore lol.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Obviously some schedule noise in this stat (since the Leafs had basically nothing to play for once they realized they were locked in with TB), but since the new year both teams have almost identical records (26-14-4 for Florida, 27-13-4 for Toronto).

That being said, can't shake the fact that the Leafs have overcome two giant mental blocks here (winning a round and not having to play Boston), and in what seems to be a very rare situation for them in the playoffs appear to have the goaltending advantage in this one. Think the teams are closer in talent than my prediction but Leafs in 5.

I am also very excited to see how hated Tkachuk is in Toronto in two weeks.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Toronto definitely goes into this series as a favourite, but mostly because of narrative. They shouldn't be taking Florida lightly, and I'm surprised at how many people are saying they now have an "easy path" to the finals (same with the Oilers).

The Panthers are not just some scrappy wildcard team. They brought back 13 players from last year's President's trophy roster, upgraded from Huberdeau to Tkachuk, and have a Cup-winning coach behind the bench. Yeah, they had some struggles in the regular season, but haven't we learned from history? You just have to get hot at the right time.

I give tons of credit to the Leafs for beating the Lightning, because the result is all that matters, but that series was a coin flip. It wasn't domination by any stretch. 3OT games and Tampa led for more than they trailed. Plus, Cernak was out, Hedman/Point were playing at 70%, and the Bolts came into the playoffs playing shit hockey for the last 1.5 months of the season.

The Panthers just beat a much better team, came into the playoffs on a heater, and IMO, matchup better with the Leafs than this version of the Bolts did. They deserve much more respect than they're getting.

Panthers were 24-13-4 in the last 41 regular season games. Leafs were 25-12-4. This is an even matchup. I expect it to go 6 or 7, and wouldn't at all be surprised if Florida took it.

If you're going to say they upgraded Huberdeau to Tkachuk, you also have to acknowledge that they lost Marchment, Weegar, Vatrano.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Obviously some schedule noise in this stat (since the Leafs had basically nothing to play for once they realized they were locked in with TB), but since the new year both teams have almost identical records (26-14-4 for Florida, 27-13-4 for Toronto).

That being said, can't shake the fact that the Leafs have overcome two giant mental blocks here (winning a round and not having to play Boston), and in what seems to be a very rare situation for them in the playoffs appear to have the goaltending advantage in this one. Think the teams are closer in talent than my prediction but Leafs in 5.

Same can be said about the Panthers, though. After last year's disappointment (in which they still did win a round), they were thought of as a team that couldn't play playoff-style hockey.

After this last series, that can't be said anymore.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you're going to say they upgraded Huberdeau to Tkachuk, you also have to acknowledge that they lost Marchment, Weegar, Vatrano.

Sure, but adding Tkachuk significantly outweighs losing Marchment and Vatrano. He's a top 10, arguably top 5, player in the league. If we're talking about Matthews being a stud playoff guy now because he just put up 9 pts in round 1... well Tkachuk put up 11...

Tkachuk scored 10 more points than any Leaf in the regular season. The guy is dominant.

And Montour has blossomed with the added opportunity of Weegar leaving. He put up 73 points this year and was incredible against the Bruins. (Weegar was also brutal in the playoffs last year).

The Panthers did, last summer, what the Leafs did at the deadline. Sacrificed some "skill" to have a different look come playoff time. Now both teams seem to be humming.

This will be a tight, hard battle.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Sure, but adding Tkachuk significantly outweighs losing Marchment and Vatrano. He's a top 10, arguably top 5, player in the league. If we're talking about Matthews being a stud playoff guy now because he just put up 9 pts in round 1... well Tkachuk put up 11...

And Montour has blossomed with the added opportunity of Weegar leaving. He put up 73 points this year and was incredible against the Bruins. (Weegar was also brutal in the playoffs last year).

There is a 0% chance that Marchment (who was elite last year), Vatrano and losing Weegar is greater than the difference between Florida Huberdeau and Tkachuk. Not even getting into losing Giroux, Chiarot, etc.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Gunna have to show me where their cup winning coach is lmao.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I really think people are underrating Florida here. I'm seeing "Leafs" easily. Or, "Leafs in five".

If Florida can come back from 3-1 against Boston, the 65 win team, why can't they beat Toronto?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Because I'm not seeing Toronto as a much superior team.

Yeah it won't be an easy series and Florida can definitely win. Thankfully dismissive fans aren't the ones that play the game. I'm sure the Leafs core remember the Montreal series so they hopefully won't take any opponent lightly.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Just like Panthers were a team Boston was supposed to sweep in 4.

Not sure why people keep saying this as a gotcha. Bruins choked which is why it was such a notable event. No one is going to be surprised if the Leafs beat the Panthers because they are the favorites and should beat them

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not sure why people keep saying this as a gotcha. Bruins choked which is why it was such a notable event. No one is going to be surprised if the Leafs beat the Panthers because they are the favorites and should beat them
Panther fans so high and mighty right now, but go back to their threads when the series was 3-1 and they were all waiting for the season to be over :laugh:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Panther fans so high and mighty right now, but go back to their threads when the series was 3-1 and they were all waiting for the season to be over :laugh:
To be fair, we had plenty of fans in our boards acting like our series was over when we were down in Game 4.

Reactions: 3headeddragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad