ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Max Domi to blame for this loss. Need to use his stick for playing hockey going forward.
If domi stops his antics the team is going to get bullied and do nothing about it out there , same thing happened with Kadri , its tough to play the pest when you have only 1 guy doing it while the Core players are looking down at their skates during every scrum

Reactions: rfournier103

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Domi has the talent to be an effective player but last night he couldn't control his emotions and it cost his team. Some really bad low IQ moments from him. He's a game or two away from Kadri-ing himself right out of the series.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If domi stops his antics the team is going to get bullied and do nothing about it out there , same thing happened with Kadri , its tough to play the pest when you have only 1 guy doing it

Imagine being this uninformed about a team and posting this confidently...

Treliving foolishly built the team to be tough instead of adding more scoring...

Reaves, Benoit, McCabe, Domi, McMann, Knies, Dewar, Edmundson, Lyubushkin, and Bertuzzi... there are enough "tough" guys (just listed the guys who have fought this year).

Scoring is an issue every playoff, not being tough.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Treliving foolishly built the team to be tough instead of adding more scoring...

Reaves, Benoit, McCabe, Domi, McMann, Knies, Dewar, Edmundson, Lyubushkin, and Bertuzzi... there are enough "tough" guys (just listed the guys who have fought this year).

The core guys aren't tough , you can decorate everybody else around as much as you want it won't change the spirit of the team

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don’t know man. Matthews will get his goals in this series but this was yet another playoff game where him and Marner visibly lacked “playoff intensity”.

The analytics geeks might roll their eyes at an unquantifiable term like that but I think we have all seen enough of it to be true even if you can’t quite measure it.
If you think Matthews "visibly lacked playoff intensity" you clearly didn't watch the game lol. Matthews dominated the game from his very first shift, just didn't get the bounces and Swayman played very well.

Marner, yes, he disappeared once again. If he doesn't show something in this years playoffs he needs to go. Let him walk tbh, his 11M cap is worth more than what he "provides" in the playoffs. Either he needs to have an 11M dollar performance or bye bye.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Max Domi to blame for this loss. Need to use his stick for playing hockey going forward.
The team scored 1 goal, putting this on Domi is lazy.

You can blame the refs, Domi, Samsonov whoever, it's all BS. When your top 6 combines for zero goals, your team scores 1 goal total, none of the excuses are valid. Even if Samsonov played well, and say he allowed only 2 goals, you still lose. The PK was 60%, the PP was 0%. Generating chances isn't enough, you need to convert.

I'm not upset at the effort from the top line at all, even the bottom 6 played hard, couple bad plays but they competed. Marner was very bad and overall our 11M+ forwards need to be better than their goalie. At some point in their careers, our forwards have to outplay the opposing goalie. It's a lazy excuse.

Matthews played very well but he had 3 or 4 prime scoring chances and nothing to show for it, that can't happen. Jarnkrok had that partial break, there was some other deflections and plays in the crease. Gotta bury them, at the end of the day games are won by who scores more goals, not who expected to score more goals.

The positive ? Nylander may be back and after failing to convert on that many chances, the likely direction for this team to trend is up.

Great game effort wise, full points to Boston, they deserved the W. Their goalie did his job and the forwards and special teams did their jobs. Even if we remove all of their powerplays and powerplay goals, it's a 3-1 game. Need more scoring, you're not winning a playoff game scoring only 1 goal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Antics like the ones Domi pulled tonight are completely a waste of effort and time. Hacking, slashing and lip service aren’t intimidating.

Big hits, making players check the ice before receiving a pass and a heavy forecheck are much more intimidating

That made him look dumb, easily distracted and immature.
1000%. He's the new Kadri, w/o the talent. Both teams were trying to play "heavy", but Boston was doing a better job of it. They have better overall team toughness, with guys like Frederic, Beecher, Coyle, among others, who are big boys, can take and give hits, but generally play smart. Reaves plays an extremely heavy game, and is actually quite smart in how he goes about it, but he is so slow out there that he can be a detriment. Maroon isn't as tough as him, but close enough so that he can respond if it goes that way, and he is a better hockey player...nice late season pickup for BOS.

Bottom line is that BOS seemed comfortable playing and withstanding a heavy game, while TOR(not all, but a few like Bertuzzi and Domi) seemed frantic and out of control. Almost like they were trying to show that they were tough(and really just cheapshotting) rather than playing tough.

I expect TOR to come out and give BOS a better game next time. BOS might also come out a bit too relaxed, thinking they have this in the bag. Kind of scary to think what the score might have been if their #1PP got back on track and all that iron they hit went in instead.

Reactions: Neil Racki

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Leafs need Nylander/McMann back ASAP

They were 2 of the top 5 goal scorers on this team since Jan 1 and missing them was clear in the finishing ability of the rest of these guys last night

Reactions: AvroArrow

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
lol @ Leaf’s in the post game thread, a few are saying the Domi slash was a soft call.
I thought it was a little chintzy. How many times does it happen in a game?

I think Marner not showing up has a lot more to do with the loss. And what are TO playing Reaves? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Right… but it’s because Toronto’s core scorers don’t score beyond game five.

I just don’t get how a lot of Leaf fans watch these kinds of games and then blame someone like Domi.

Marner is paid a gazillion dollars to score. Where was he last night???

Reactions: AvroArrow

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
I think Marner not showing up has a lot more to do with the loss. And what are TO playing Reaves? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.
I wasn't completely serious with my post but I do think Domi's play was a problem. Boston was in his head from the start and it didn't look good for him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wasn't completely serious with my post but I do think Domi's play was a problem. Boston was in his head from the start and it didn't look good for him.
I think the talk of Domi is smoke. He went overboard last night but at least he’s trying to do what they paid him to do.

Marner is just… I don’t know. I’m not a Leaf fan but he’s just a complete no-show every year. He’ll put up points in meaningless games but he’s never there when it matters. I’d have traded him long ago.

Matthew’s is too talented to trade and he’s better in the playoffs than Marner is. The Leafs could really use a swap out of Tavares and MM. Deal them for a power forward and stud blueliner. A big strong winger going to the dirty areas might make Matthews more effective.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I still remember when Plekanec joined the Leafs and outscored Matthews in the playoffs. Now David Kampf is doing it! Should've got more Czechs at the TDL IMO. The Boston Czechs all had nice games.

1713714226356.png

Note: As an Oiler's fan, I find this graphic even funnier. Hyman and Brown to our rescue.lmao

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Domi strikes me as exactly the guy to deliberately target and piss off. Whisper in his ear, slash him lightly, push him a few times.. then watch him do something stuipd and end up in the box. If I had a guy, like say, Brad Marchand or Jake Debrusk... I'd whisper in their ears 'call him a (insert your fav insult here) every chance you get'.lol

Reactions: NoelVilla

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
IMHO, the Leafs are constructed poorly for the playoffs, being from the forwards back instead of the goal out. Then, the Leafs are horrendously top-heavy such that if their four star forwards (and particularly Matthews and Nylander) can be more-or-less neutralized, then any depth scoring is by random chance instead of by design. Even if the Leafs were to advance, to do so they would have to work Matthews and Nylander so much that they would eventually become exhausted and ineffective (exactly what happens to McDrai every playoffs who do go deeper only to inevitably run out of gas). Tack on the emotional predeterminism of "Here we go again" and the result is ..... this.

Even worse, through the contract extensions Treliving has now locked in place this flawed structure for some years.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mar 26, 2010
Country club much?
lol no kidding right. They should be embarrassed of themselves, they went in there and got their doors blown off. The goaltending was awful yet again.

Reactions: BHD

ShippinUpToBoston

May 19, 2010
Plymouth, MA
Leafs have to quit the fake tough-guy act, it backfired spectacularly.
The Bruins aren't intimidated the slightest bit.
Reaves is such a liability, I can't believe he's dressed! He handed the Bruins the 1st goal with a boneheaded play, and generally just can't keep up.
Domi can play hockey, but ran around with rocks for brains. His stupid penalty naturally led to a Bruins PP goal. He needs to calm down, and somehow play tough without playing stupid.
Other notes:
Keefe's bizarre fixation on Ridly Greig is hilarious, still talking about him in a Sportsnet interview before the game. He needs to forget about that and focus on getting his team ready, and to play smart. Maybe his team is playing stupid because he is still praising a guy (Rielly) who stupidly cross checked a guy in the face and got suspended. Sure, a response was warranted, Rielly should have forced Greig to fight him.
Matthews looks a little bit off, and is holding his stick too tight. That play where Swayman made a mistake coming out and Matthews hit the post with the empty net, he scores on 99 out of 100 times.

Biggest difference: Bruins had composure and discipline. The Leafs, reflecting their coach, looked undisciplined and out of control.

I have to commend some Leaf fans that keep the faith and still think they'll win. That's not easy to do after the last 7 years. Charlie Brown will get to kick that football someday!!!
I disagree about Reaves. You need guys like him if you want to win in the playoffs. He may be a liability at times, I’m sure Maroon will be too but you have to have them out there. Boston in recent years is a perfect example of what happens when you don’t have that physical presence on the ice.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I disagree about Reaves. You need guys like him if you want to win in the playoffs. He may be a liability at times, I’m sure Maroon will be too but you have to have them out there. Boston in recent years is a perfect example of what happens when you don’t have that physical presence on the ice.
As a huge fan of the prior team to employ Reaves:

No. He sucks.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If domi stops his antics the team is going to get bullied and do nothing about it out there , same thing happened with Kadri , its tough to play the pest when you have only 1 guy doing it while the Core players are looking down at their skates during every scrum
think I read this post in the first round years ago against the Habs ( minus Clown Domi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad