Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Johnsson - Moore - Kapanen needs to happen next game.

Obviously we have bigger problems than just a bad 4th line... but that change needs to happen at a minimum. Babcock better come up with something because we need to be a lot better for Game 2.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
yes?

the more the play is pushed into the opponents end... the more our scoring lines are put out.... giving more opportunities for them to score. the more the play is pushed into the opponents end, the more exhausted the other team becomes, giving potential on the fly or icing scoring opportunities. that, to me, is 100x more hurt than an inconsequential body check to which you could shout "what's the corsi rating for that?!"

so... yes... having actual hockey players on the 4th line is kind of important.
exactly. Our 4th line was pushed in tonight. not sure why changing it so our 4th line pushes the other side in isn't considered a good idea

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Their stars showed up big time, ours didn't. That's what it boils down to. Still not convinced they have the depth scoring to punish us up and down the lineup. There's no reason to believe we can't win this if our boys come to play

Reactions: hullsy47

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
Why, why are dressing Martin and falling into their game. Dress Johnsson over him. Speed and skill, our players have to skate like they can.

I disagree we have enough skilled players out there already...you need someone to control the knuckleheads maybe Kadri wouldn't put it all on his shoulders...who knows maybe I am wrong but I like the old school...

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Why, why are dressing Martin and falling into their game. Dress Johnsson over him. Speed and skill, our players have to skate like they can.

Martin's strengths (outside of fighting) are that he is a good clean physical player that makes smart plays on the fore check and is an excellent shot suppression 4th liner. Its one of the reasons why he is an even player in his career despite not being a great offensive force (although his passing is underrated).

I wouldnt have a problem with putting him in for Komorov right now but, yea, Johnsson is the best choice.

Reactions: SportsJunkie

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Wouldn't changing the lineup in game 2 seem like a panic move on babcocks part? That wouldn't really inspire confidence in the players.

This group can get it done. I'm actually glad they got this type of game out of the way, and since kadri will probably be gone for 1 or more games, they are facing more adversity. That should force them to up their game.

Now they know the level they have to play at. And they better bring it. If they don't, then the better team will win.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wouldn't changing the lineup in game 2 seem like a panic move on babcocks part? That wouldn't really inspire confidence in the players.

This group can get it done. I'm actually glad they got this type of game out of the way, and since kadri will probably be gone for 1 or more games, they are facing more adversity. That should force them to up their game.

Now they know the level they have to play at. And they better bring it. If they don't, then the better team will win.
not really. If he can't make obvious adjustments to his lineup before the series starts, he should at least be willing to after his way has proven to be garbage

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Komarov out. Johnsson in for game 2. That line looked so much better with the speedsters Johnsson and Kapanen working together. We can only hope right.

Last edited:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Getting bent over and filled in, 5vs1 while losing a top player IS a time to Panic...
Komorov looked like crap...
If Matthews and Nylander are again nullified, its going to be 2-0. and TBH then its almost too late to Panic, the stats to overcome that suddenly are drastic than a 1-1.

So yes, i EXPECT Babs to adjust accordingly, because the #2 and # 3 teams in the Atlantic in the playoffs, should not be a 5-1 blowout.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Matthews and Nylander were pedestrian. If those two were on their game, the Bergeron line spends a hell of a lot more time in containment than on the attack. They have to show up in game 2.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Leafs have to change in order to have a chance in this series.

Toronto's game was totally nullified by the physical play of Boston.

When Boston hits a Toronto forward, that forward is eliminated from the play and cannot join the rush. No Leafs rush was effective in game 1.

The only looked dangerous on the few times they got some forechecking pressure or when they chip and chase from their own zone.

Also, have to contain the Bergeron line, which they could not.

Hainsey was alright in the first period then was brutal. Babcock may have worn him out over the course of the season.

Not sure about this as I stopped watching as it was clear that with their game plan the Leafs did not have a chance tonight, I don't think Gardiner, Zaitsev or Dermott was on the ice of a goal against, not once.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Kinda feels like this series is over just after one game. Bruins just thoroughly crushed the Leafs in all facets of the game. Add in we're likely going to lose Kadri for multiple games and an ice cold Andersen as well as a sputtering PK I don't really have a ton of optimism going forward.

Just kinda has that feel everything is conspiring against us at the worst time. I didn't have that feel last year vs Washington and I actually thought we had a chance, albeit fairly small.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I disagree we have enough skilled players out there already...you need someone to control the knuckleheads maybe Kadri wouldn't put it all on his shoulders...who knows maybe I am wrong but I like the old school...

Remember that time when our tough guys prevented Cam Janssen from turning Kaberle's brain to goop with a dirty hit? I don't. Don't buy this tough guy body guard schtick.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Komarov out. Johnsson in for game 2. That line looked so much better with the speedsters Johnsson and Kapanen working together. We can only hope right.

I want Johnsson in but I'd like to keep Leo in too. The Bruins PP is a killer and it's the one thing he's actually good at. Slash his ES minutes, shorten the bench, and dear lord get him off the powerplay. He's not a Swiss army knife, he's a very specific bottle opener.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
The Leafs looked young and inexperienced but still controlled the game for stretches. I'm not buying that they got "dominated". They had their chances and if Matthews or Marner scored instead of sliding them through the crease it's a different game. Boston's a tough challenge

They're still in it.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm thinking if we lose the next game there will be pitchforks and people packing it in for the offseason, when in reality Boston is a good home team and we'll STILL have a chance since we're technically not in trouble until we lose at home.

Still would be nice to win game 2 tho.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Well lets let this round play itself out before we go paying the big 3 25 million bucks combined lets see if they can play in the playoffs .
They are in with grown ups now big boys make big money
Even when we lost to washington last year we nevrr played that soft

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There was no interference on the 4th goal whatsoever.

You're right. I'll admit I didn't really pay attention to the replay on that goal, and was basing my post off of what I read in the GDT. Looking at it again, while Andy did take a knee to the head, I don't know that it had enough of an impact on the goal to win a challenge.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ed-0-0-7pm-cbc.2476771/page-82#post-144446601

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ed-0-0-7pm-cbc.2476771/page-82#post-144446655

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ed-0-0-7pm-cbc.2476771/page-83#post-144446737

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't think Martin does anything to deter the Bruins.

If you are going to dress him, the hope is that our stars play a little taller in their skates. Our big guns were silenced. Fought off the puck. Pushed around and gave up.

If they can find that courage without Martin, fine. But something needs to change or this series will be embarrassingly short.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Marner scores that 2nd goal and Gardiner doesnt hit the post, that puts us up 3-1 and we dont take those stupid penalties. We had a chance to win. Stay out of the damn box and this games a different result. Havent lost faith.

Reactions: Daisy Jane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad