Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He's going to play till he's 45? Alright

Yes, he is. That is his goal. You should probably to some research to understand how physically fit this guy is, and how intense his diet is.

Even if he doesn't play at the level he is now, he will still slot in as a #6 later in his career.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Bovada (I believe) has Boston -155. Seen it on twitter. Books I use do not have it up yet.

Ah. I work for Bovada so I can't use them. But to be honest I wouldn't consider -155 a significant favourite as you described it. That's probably like 57% probability to win after removing juice.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I live in Montreal right now. I'm off work Thursday and debating whether I can justify leaving my pregnant wife to drive down to Boston for game 1. Very white people problems.
Staying with your wife when she's pregnant?

Reactions: zeke

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Underrated Benefit.

Torey Krug has had a great year, but that's because he's played insanely sheltered minutes against low QOC and insanely high offensive zone starts.

While they can start him in our zone, there's no line he can be sheltered against unless they want to play Grzelcyk and McQuaid against the Kadri line, or the Matthews line, or even the Bozak line.

They have the advantage when it comes to the top line, but we have it for every other line, we have it for goaltending, and I think we have it for defense as well.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Why do people keep saying that Boston has the advantage when it comes to the top line lol? Nylander and Matthews will outplay the Bergeron line.

I'm shocked how the Bruins managed to finish ahead of the Leafs tbh, should be a comfortable Toronto win as long as Babcock doesn't go too conservative. I feel like they could've won at least another game in the Caps series last year if he hadn't.

Reactions: willmma

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
truth time.

is Polak a help or a hinderance v. Boston?

(Like many here, I can't understand his spot on the team)

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
truth time.

You really don’t understand his spot on the team? He’s a bottom pairing dman, who is physical, tough to play against and is a stud penalty killer. His role is incredibly obvious.

No one in this organization can fill his role.

Reactions: CelticDruid

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
You really don’t understand his spot on the team? He’s a bottom pairing dman, who is physical, tough to play against and is a stud penalty killer. His role is incredibly obvious.

No one in this organization can fill his role.

Also, no one is as old, slow, can't move the puck, has a broken leg, or coughs up more bad goals. That's also a "role" unique to him on the team.

FWIW, I'll put you down as a 'yes' on Roman. And who knows? You may be right. Part of me gets the feeling (as "a bottom pairing man") he has a good chance to either win the series for us, or lose it all by himself..

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Underrated Benefit.

Torey Krug has had a great year, but that's because he's played insanely sheltered minutes against low QOC and insanely high offensive zone starts.

While they can start him in our zone, there's no line he can be sheltered against unless they want to play Grzelcyk and McQuaid against the Kadri line, or the Matthews line, or even the Bozak line.

They have the advantage when it comes to the top line, but we have it for every other line, we have it for goaltending, and I think we have it for defense as well.
Yeah, I think we're a hard team to match up against. We're going to need our secondary scoring to come in hot this entire series.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander vs Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Marleau-Kadri-Marner vs Heinen-Riley Nash-Backes?
JVR-Bozak-Brown vs Debrusk-Krejci-Donato?
Leo-Plek-Kap vs Wingels-Accari-Gionta?

I'm looking forward to see how the matchups go.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I think we're a hard team to match up against. We're going to need our secondary scoring to come in hot this entire series.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander vs Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Marleau-Kadri-Marner vs Heinen-Riley Nash-Backes?
JVR-Bozak-Brown vs Debrusk-Krejci-Donato?
Leo-Plek-Kap vs Wingels-Accari-Gionta?

I'm looking forward to see how the matchups go.

I just hope the Bozak line can play like they have in 2018. They are our weakest link in the forward group. If they can somehow chip in offensively and not be hemmed in their zone like they were for all of last year against Washington despite getting easier match ups, we will be really hard to contain.

JvR brings it against Boston. Bozak is prone to some pretty bad giveaways but haven’t seen a lot of that in 2018 besides one or two games.

Leafs should also consider stacking lines if we are down in a game. No point playing Hyman with Matthews and Nylander when we desperately need a goal.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I just hope the Bozak line can play like they have in 2018. They are our weakest link in the forward group. If they can somehow chip in offensively and not be hemmed in their zone like they were for all of last year against Washington despite getting easier match ups, we will be really hard to contain.

JvR brings it against Boston. Bozak is prone to some pretty bad giveaways but haven’t seen a lot of that in 2018 besides one or two games.

Leafs should also consider stacking lines if we are down in a game. No point playing Hyman with Matthews and Nylander when we desperately need a goal.
Agreed, I've liked how Bozak has been looking recently. He's been hustling and showing energy on the ice. Really hoping that they can take advantage of the lower competition. At least continue their dominance on the powerplay. (Which hopefully the calls are not going to be as bad as I think it might be in the playoffs)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Chara is still playing at a very high level.. and he still has enough foot speed. Chara is better than any dman on the Leafs and it's not even close LOL. Chara is a freak and will play for at least 4 more years.

Chara has been as slow as a snail for a good 2 years now, he's still big and takes up a lot of ice with his size so it lets him get away with being so slow. But in a foot race, don't ever expect him to win. And he's really not at a "high level" he's about average with enormous size. I guarantee you our top 3 lines will all be skating circles around him. Obviously in the playoffs they let a lot more contact go so he is going to have that going for him, but i fully expect Nylander/Marner/Brown/Kapanen to all pretty much blow by him in any kind of rush. He's not a good enough skater at this point in his career to win those matchups imo.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Anyone catch a shot of Zdeno tonight? Guy looks like the crypt keeper with a hormone deficit

member 300185

For 10 minutes: Bergeron vs. Plekanec, Marchand vs. Komarov, Pastrnak vs Kapanen
For 10 minutes: Bergeron vs. Kadri, Marchand vs. Marleau, Pastrnak vs. Marner

Just stick on to them like white on rice when they are on the ice.

For the remaining 40 min balls to the wall:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown

...or something along these lines.
Naw, Marchand has said several times he hates Pleks. Pleks owns Marchand.

member 300185

truth time.

I will give credit where credit is due and Polak has been one of the Leafs best shut down D in the last month and his skating is well improved. Its funny how people will dump on him from last years play and still chirp when in fact, he is a different player.

Follow little sheep, follow

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm just excited to get back to it. Made it through the long regular season and now just have to focus on what's ahead of us.

Kind of exciting just to see how Matthews and company will elevate their games. Some of them may only have last year's run of experience, but that should be motivation enough to go further.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I will give credit where credit is due and Polak has been one of the Leafs best shut down D in the last month and his skating is well improved. Its funny how people will dump on him from last years play and still chirp when in fact, he is a different player.

Follow little sheep, follow

Welcome to the board!

Reactions: NovaLeaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad