Speculation: Early Predictions: Who Surprises in Training Camp/Preseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Who would you rather have Joseph or Cousins - for me it’s Cousins everyday all day. Not even calculating salary

Joseph is a better hockey player than Cousins. Cousins is a 4rth line guy who gets scratched in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I love to have him but he's nowhere near Joseph at just about everything.

I think the reason they traded Joseph has nothing to do with his on ice play.

The replacement for Joseph anyways is Amadio, not Cousins. They probably liked Amadio more because he's a bit more responsible, knows his role, just won a cup and had amazing playoffs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Joseph is better in every way except "toughness".

jospeh had some hilites but everything about him was overpaid and overrated. The speed gets you excited but the guy went like 30 games without being noticed and that was from a team desperate for someone to do something special. Joseph just isn’t impact, he’s an NHL’er but a soft one with little impact and losses steam as the season goes on

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
jospeh had some hilites but everything about him was overpaid and overrated. The speed gets you excited but the guy went like 30 games without being noticed and that was from a team desperate for someone to do something special. Joseph just isn’t impact, he’s an NHL’er but a soft one with little impact and losses steam as the season goes on
He was excellent to start the season last year.

19 pts in first 25 gp, a team-leading +12, and buzzing all over the place.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Boucher needs to learn how to pick his spots. Being a bull in a china shop is one of the big reasons why he's always injured. And the way the game (officiating) is changing, he needs to learn how to focus on hitting to separate player from puck as the main objective, and hitting to hurt only when a golden (legal) opportunity comes up. You hit to hurt to send a message at a key moment of the game - not doing it every second shift to get noticed.
This is not accurate at all. Boucher really rarely chases hits, if anything I think he could do it more.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He was excellent to start the season last year.

19 pts in first 25 gp, a team-leading +12, and buzzing all over the place.
exactly, and where was he in the 2nd half 3 goals in The last 36 games and just not noticeable.

I think Ottawa is looking for consistency, and players that can play full seasons. Joseph isnt that, he isn’t a guy you can count n for 82 games

Reactions: aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Joseph is better than Cousins (if salaries were the same) but Cousins isn't his replacement; Amadio is Joseph's replacement. And Amadoo is just as good as Joseph and might fill a role better. Joseph's speed will be missed though.

Reactions: WallyD and Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Byfuglien was a much more offensive player. He scored, on average, 50 points per 82 games. Kleven will likely get about 50 points every three seasons.

Kleven is a lot more defensive minded. His realistic ceiling is likely a Methot type player. Which would be great.
If you think Klevin is a 17 point per 82 games player you are going to very surprised. Methot broke 20 points once in his career going back to Junior A. By the time Klevin is 26 I’m thinking 35-45 points.

Joseph is better than Cousins (if salaries were the same) but Cousins isn't his replacement; Amadio is Joseph's replacement. And Amadoo is just as good as Joseph and might fill a role better. Joseph's speed will be missed though.
I’ll take Gregor at 800K over Joseph. Gregor might even be quicker.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see how we use Cousins, he had 27 pts two years ago, he's got some offense to his game.

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It will be interesting to see how we use Cousins, he had 27 pts two years ago, he's got some offense to his game.

Yeah the last 4 seasons Cousins has 82 points (30 goals) and Joseph has 83 points (26 goals).
Cousins played more games but good for him for being not injured which is part of being a good pro and making an impact

Reactions: LiseL

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
If you think Klevin is a 17 point per 82 games player you are going to very surprised. Methot broke 20 points once in his career going back to Junior A. By the time Klevin is 26 I’m thinking 35-45 points.

I’ll take Gregor at 800K over Joseph. Gregor might even be quicker.
I am not seeing 35 to 45 points from Kleven. I think the comparison to Methot is a good one.
It would actually be fantastic if Kleven turns out to be like Methot.

I think that Kleven does have some offensive upside as he is a good skater and handles the puck fairly well, but I think he tops out at 30 points.
I can see a future pairing of Klev (LD) & Yak (RD) for years to come!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah the last 4 seasons Cousins has 82 points (30 goals) and Joseph has 83 points (26 goals).
Cousins played more games but good for him for being not injured which is part of being a good pro and making an impact

Its worth pointing out that while Cousins played more games, Joseph got significantly more ice time, and played up the lineup more giving him a better opportunity to put up pts

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Its worth pointing out that while Cousins played more games, Joseph got significantly more ice time, and played up the lineup more giving him a better opportunity to put up pts
Fair, but Joseph likepy had more demanding minutes, no?

Either way, I dont think it makes much sense for them to be compared. If anything, Gregor, Cousins and Amadio will split Joseph’s duties, with the bulk of the ES (+PP) going to Amadio and heavt PK duties going to Gregor

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Cousins and Gregor are good examples of efficient cap management, I expect both guys to give us about 90-95% of what Joseph can in the same deployment, they shouldn't get the same deployment Joseph did because we are a deeper team now, but as 4th liners the difference won't matter.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Overpaid for what he delivered. I think he might have improved under Green's tutelage.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I like your optimism but I don't see Tyler Kleven ever being as good an offensive player as Jake Sanderson was this year (38 points), especially given that Kleven will have way less offensive opportunity than Sanderson.

Kleven has never produced offense like that at any level of hockey above Bantam. I just don't think he will all of a sudden do it at the NHL level. And I don't think he'll be asked to. He likely lands somewhere between Boro and Meth, IMO, which could be a very useful player.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure why Cousins is being compared to Joseph.

We didn't make the decision to dump Joseph, replace him with Cousins and re-allocate the cap savings elsewhere.

Traded a 3rd to dump a perfectly good player to spend the money on Amadio/Perron instead, for better or for worse.

Cousins and Gregor should be upgrades on Kelly/Kastelic at LW/C. Neither should play above the 4th line unless there are injuries.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not sure why Cousins is being compared to Joseph.

We didn't make the decision to dump Joseph, replace him with Cousins and re-allocate the cap savings elsewhere.

Traded a 3rd to dump a perfectly good player to spend the money on Amadio/Perron instead, for better or for worse.

Cousins and Gregor should be upgrades on Kelly/Kastelic at LW/C. Neither should play above the 4th line unless there are injuries.
Clearly not a comparable to Joseph in Cousins. It seems obvious that Amadio effectively replaces Joseph. Similar salary/commitment and likely same 3rd line spot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its pretty obvious this team wanted rid of Joseph and were willing to pay someone a 3rd to take him for nothing.
I have zero insight into what the reasoning behind it is... other than they needed to clear space and they likely thought he was not playing up to his contract.
When we acquired Joseph I thought we'd see more tenaciousness to go along with the speed. Dorion was hoping again that what we saw regarding production in the top 6 when he 1st got here we would see more of . In the end Joseph could have brought more than he did shift in shift out, game in game out. That may have been enough to cut bait. We often hear players talk about not having their A game and being able to contribute in other ways.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
True but Cousins spent a fair amount of time with Tkachuk and Bennet on the second line.

Oct 10, 2010
No question we need to see Crookshank and Kleven play well.

They need to prove that they are ready to contribute bottom pairings of our lineup management needs that confidence so we don’t see MacGwen and Hammy much.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Its pretty obvious this team wanted rid of Joseph and were willing to pay someone a 3rd to take him for nothing.
I have zero insight into what the reasoning behind it is... other than they needed to clear space and they likely thought he was not playing up to his contract.
When we acquired Joseph I thought we'd see more tenaciousness to go along with the speed. Dorion was hoping again that what we saw regarding production in the top 6 when he 1st got here we would see more of . In the end Joseph could have brought more than he did shift in shift out, game in game out. That may have been enough to cut bait. We often hear players talk about not having their A game and being able to contribute in other ways.
Yeah, i think this is pretty spot on.

Good player but leaves you desperately wanting.

I'm fairly confident he's going to put it all together in a new system, being under the gun to establish himself. Out of the gate, at least.

And people here are going to implode.

But I doubt it would have happened here had we kept him, which is itself telling about why they moved on.

Reactions: LiseL

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
One thing I like about Hamonic's game, it always felt like he could get the puck on net. Now aprt of that may be because Chabot would always hesitate to shoot, Brannstrom for whatever reason couldn't get the puck on net, but Hamonic, as clunky as his skating is, could shoot the puck onto the opposing net. If he plays, i hope he keeps that up and its one element that Kleven picks up from him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad