Speculation: Early Predictions: Who Surprises in Training Camp/Preseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
is Kleven as a poor man’s left handed Dustin Byfuglien a good comparison? Kinda like a guy who can hit, play big and has a big shot.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
is Kleven as a poor man’s left handed Dustin Byfuglien a good comparison? Kinda like a guy who can hit, play big and has a big shot.

Byfuglien was a much more offensive player. He scored, on average, 50 points per 82 games. Kleven will likely get about 50 points every three seasons.

Kleven is a lot more defensive minded. His realistic ceiling is likely a Methot type player. Which would be great.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
So which defenceman do we think ends up on PP1, Chabot or Sanderson?
As it stands now, I can't really see any other D-man on this team being regulars on the PP aside from Chabot & Sanderson.
The rest of the D are really more defensive oriented. All the more reason to bring in a Schultz, Shattenkirk, Barrie or DeAngelo on a PTO/One-year contract.
That's maybe for another thread.

I think both PP1 & PP2 will have 1 D-man & 4 Forwards.
Chabot might be on PP1 to begin the season, but I think Sanderson will take that spot, likely in the first 20 games.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I like Staois but a part of me can't shake the feeling that he has a bit of a dinosaur attitude attached to him.

Was super quick to trade an undersized winger in Joseph(even throwing in a 3rd to do so) but insisted on not buying out a big stay-at-home D like Hamonic.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And I'm hoping that surprise is that he's actually too injured to play for the entire year and immediately goes on LTIR.
You could put him on LTIR, but Sens are 1.1 million under the cap, there would be no cap relief. It’s only effective, when right against the limit, or a higher priced player.

If 2 million dollar player, and 1 million under cap, you get 1 million in relief. (doesn't accrue cap space)

If 5 million dollar player, and 0.5 million under cap get, you get 4.5 million in relief. (Until player comes off LTIR)

So if signing a 1 million dollar player under the assumption, hammer was done for the year, sign the player first. Then get right up against the max limit, and then get the 1 million in space.

There is not a lot of benefit of LTIR for low salaries.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Boucher needs to learn how to pick his spots. Being a bull in a china shop is one of the big reasons why he's always injured. And the way the game (officiating) is changing, he needs to learn how to focus on hitting to separate player from puck as the main objective, and hitting to hurt only when a golden (legal) opportunity comes up. You hit to hurt to send a message at a key moment of the game - not doing it every second shift to get noticed.
He needs to learn from cousins and perron

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You could put him on LTIR, but Sens are 1.1 million under the cap, there would be no cap relief. It’s only effective, when right against the limit, or a higher priced player.

If 2 million dollar player, and 1 million under cap, you get 1 million in relief. (doesn't accrue cap space)

If 5 million dollar player, and 0.5 million under cap get, you get 4.5 million in relief. (Until player comes off LTIR)

So if signing a 1 million dollar player under the assumption, hammer was done for the year, sign the player first. Then get right up against the max limit, and then get the 1 million in space.

There is not a lot of benefit of LTIR for low salaries.

I wonder if Hamonic would waive his NMC contingent on not having to report to Belleville. Nobody is going to claim him with a NMC and relatively high salary. Not to mention, most teams would probably play ball with "don't mess with the 15 year veteran by claiming him, he wants to go home."

A similar situation would be Spezza on waivers a few years ago. He wasn't required to report to the AHL. Nobody claimed him, although he did make it clear he would retire.

I doubt Hamonic has any illusions about where he is career wise. The fact that he pushed for a NMC and term on such a low money contract shows you where his priorities are. He likely wants stability for his family. That's the kind of guy you can approach with the idea of not only getting paid to sit at home and watch Paw Patrol, but also getting a potential raise for doing it because his salary in the AHL wouldn't be subject to escrow.

It costs the team real dollars, but they can bury his cap hit in the AHL. It's better than LTIR or what a buyout (had he been eligible) would have produced.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They are going to honour Hamonic’s deal. There is no chance that Staios does anything super lame or disrespectful.

He may not like the deal, but Dorion gave it to him, and it was contingent on him being able to have some stability for his family. It will be honoured.

For a team like us, we need to make sure we have an excellent reputation amongst the players in terms of how we treat them if we want veteran players to sign with us in the future.

Hopefully he’s healthy and hungry and is ready to be that vet 7D

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Staois but a part of me can't shake the feeling that he has a bit of a dinosaur attitude attached to him.

Was super quick to trade an undersized winger in Joseph(even throwing in a 3rd to do so) but insisted on not buying out a big stay-at-home D like Hamonic.

Who would you rather have Joseph or Cousins - for me it’s Cousins everyday all day. Not even calculating salary

Reactions: LiseL

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

You're completely missing Staios' script for this team yet it couldn't be more clearly written through the two players you are talking about.

Reactions: Icelevel

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They are going to honour Hamonic’s deal. There is no chance that Staios does anything super lame or disrespectful.

He may not like the deal, but Dorion gave it to him, and it was contingent on him being able to have some stability for his family. It will be honoured.

For a team like us, we need to make sure we have an excellent reputation amongst the players in terms of how we treat them if we want veteran players to sign with us in the future.

Hopefully he’s healthy and hungry and is ready to be that vet 7D
I think they will too. But I do think they'll be quick to act if he really proves incapable. I'm cautiously optimistic after the surgery.
Who would you rather have Joseph or Cousins - for me it’s Cousins everyday all day. Not even calculating salary
Joseph if same salary, but at their current salaries I'd take Cousins.

Reactions: scout20

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
You're completely missing Staios' script for this team yet it couldn't be more clearly written through the two players you are talking about.
Yes I get it, but I'm saying it could be bad if he values sub-par players only for perceived toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad