Speculation: Early Predictions: Who Surprises in Training Camp/Preseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, if we want a surprise pick, my vote is for Javon Moore....if he participates in the rookie tournament. Obviously not expecting him to make the team or anything, but he has all the physical tools to be a pro.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by his hockey IQ and vision playing with higher level prospects and pros at training camp/preseason.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He came into junior/college camps healthy and still was subpar. Getting injured doesn't help but it happens to literally every player at some point. Boucher has had his opportunity limited but he's done next to nothing with those chances.

Very very few players have had 18-22 age seasons like his and gone onto amount to anything. That's fact. It'd be great if he bucked thar trend but it's unlikely.
Wrong was wildly physical and scored at a 35 goal pace in the OHL then scored at .5 % goal pace at the wjc was net front on the first pp unit for team USA. He was crushing guys and skating well. Easy to project that player at the next level. Ever since he's been hurt.

I am not sure who 'surprises' but I am expecting Kleven and Ostapchuk to come in play well and win important roles on the team. I feel like Batherson and Pinto could have great camps, they are both bigger guys on a longer development curve. They could both take another step.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can tell you right now we will blow out the Leaves in our first meeting of the season.

Ottawa’s rats are going to target new Captain Matthews, the Leaves will send out their pretend tough guy Domi to do his theatrics, the rest of the Leafs are going to pretend they are tough and while the Leaves are living out their toughness identity fantasy Ottawa is going to school them on Travis Green systematic though draw a line in the sand hockey and win 6-1.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can tell you right now we will blow out the Leaves in our first meeting of the season.

Ottawa’s rats are going to target new Captain Matthews, the Leaves will send out their pretend tough guy Domi to do his theatrics, the rest of the Leafs are going to pretend they are tough and while the Leaves are living out their toughness identity fantasy Ottawa is going to school them on Travis Green systematic though draw a line in the sand hockey and win 6-1.
Leafs Leafs
Owns Owns

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The one thing I'll add to the Boucher discussion is that he had a really good preseason with Ottawa in 22-23 as a 19 year old. Was supposed to play 2 games, but earned himself a third due to his play before being sent down to the 67's.

So he's had a pleasantly surprising camp already in the past. Can he repeat that as a 21 year old? We'll see.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Wrong was wildly physical and scored at a 35 goal pace in the OHL then scored at .5 % goal pace at the wjc was net front on the first pp unit for team USA. He was crushing guys and skating well. Easy to project that player at the next level. Ever since he's been hurt.

I am not sure who 'surprises' but I am expecting Kleven and Ostapchuk to come in play well and win important roles on the team. I feel like Batherson and Pinto could have great camps, they are both bigger guys on a longer development curve. They could both take another step.
I do think that WJC performance gets a bit overlooked. It can be difficult to compare WJC performances in different years and between different players but he scored at a very similar rate to both Josh Norris and Shane Pinto in their D+2 season WJ tournaments. He also had some good passes in that tournament that could have potentially earned him a few more points. He could have had the same production overall as Norris and Pinto as well if some of those passes were converted into goals.

I think the rookie tournament will be a good test to see where he is at. I also think the majority of Sens fans would be pleasantly surprised if he showed some meaningful progression in his development by having a good showing in the rookie tournament, training camp and preseason. I guess we will see fairly soon where he is at and what kind of progress he has made.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I do think that WJC performance gets a bit overlooked. It can be difficult to compare WJC performances in different years and between different players but he scored at a very similar rate to both Josh Norris and Shane Pinto in their D+2 season WJ tournaments. He also had some good passes in that tournament that could have potentially earned him a few more points. He could have had the same production overall as Norris and Pinto as well if some of those passes were converted into goals.

I think the rookie tournament will be a good test to see where he is at. I also think the majority of Sens fans would be pleasantly surprised if he showed some meaningful progression in his development by having a good showing in the rookie tournament, training camp and preseason. I guess we will see fairly soon where he is at and what kind of progress he has made.

I like Boucher but he didn’t even play PP in college or whatever he was doing before college.

He’ll make it in the NHL but expect a Nick Cousins type of player - don’t think he’ll ever get on an NHL PP or into the top 6

Boucher could be like that dude in Van who lit up the playoffs - a coaches dream who his line mates love to play which is great, but he won’t be much more then that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa doesn't need Boucher to become a top six player, they need him to stay healthy & play the way he was playing when they drafted him. They need a tough hard nosed player who hits to hurt, who is a bull in a China shop in the offensive end & can put guys through the boards. If he can be someone like Chris Neil who can add some offence that opposition teams fear when he is out there & his presense alone will change how they play. We already have the guys who can put up pts, we now need to fill in the bottom of the order with guys who can change the game at any moment with a hard hit, fight or great defensive play.

Reactions: Icelevel

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ottawa doesn't need Boucher to become a top six player, they need him to stay healthy & play the way he was playing when they drafted him. They need a tough hard nosed player who hits to hurt, who is a bull in a China shop in the offensive end & can put guys through the boards. If he can be someone like Chris Neil who can add some offence that opposition teams fear when he is out there & his presense alone will change how they play. We already have the guys who can put up pts, we now need to fill in the bottom of the order with guys who can change the game at any moment with a hard hit, fight or great defensive play.
I don't have high hopes for Boucher. As of now he is the glass in the China shops.

• Haha
Reactions: Icelevel and Bileur

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Oh yeah. 10 goals and 7 assists, while getting suspended and injured in your D+2 year is great! He wasn't a top 50 player in the OHL two years after his draft. Hitting is great but but was at best a disappointment before his season ended. At worst he was someone who, if he wasn't 10th OA, would not have been offered an ELC.

Hope that he can turn it around but he flat out has not played well on top of being unable to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Any announcement on the rookie camp ?

Father-in-law is wondering
Two weeks out. They'll probably announce the roster next weekend. I'm driving down on the 14th to see our prospects play the Penguins. As always, I'll post my way over hyped thoughts on each prospect. I always come back from these games thinking every one of them will be a star.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh yeah. 10 goals and 7 assists, while getting suspended and injured in your D+2 year is great! He wasn't a top 50 player in the OHL two years after his draft. Hitting is great but but was at best a disappointment before his season ended. At worst he was someone who, if he wasn't 10th OA, would not have been offered an ELC.

Hope that he can turn it around but he flat out has not played well on top of being unable to stay in the lineup.
Which was bullshit and exactly why they drafted him. He hits to hurt. Guys that get to play first PP on team USA at the WJC and have his level of physicality get an ELC.

He has been a disappointment but you are not looking at this accurately or objectively. He has been made of glass which clearly is not good but to ignore his raw attributes is also being purposefully obtuse.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Which was bullshit and exactly why they drafted him. He hits to hurt. Guys that get to play first PP on team USA at the WJC and have his level of physicality get an ELC.

He has been a disappointment but you are not looking at this accurately or objectively. He has been made of glass which clearly is not good but to ignore his raw attributes is also being purposefully obtuse.

Raw attributes are great but at some point you have to use them to be one of the best players on the ice. He hasn't done that at the NCAA, OHL or AHL level. Maybe he will but there isn't much there to suggest that he can put it all together. He should get a chance this year. Hopefully he takes it and runs with it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Boucher needs to learn how to pick his spots. Being a bull in a china shop is one of the big reasons why he's always injured. And the way the game (officiating) is changing, he needs to learn how to focus on hitting to separate player from puck as the main objective, and hitting to hurt only when a golden (legal) opportunity comes up. You hit to hurt to send a message at a key moment of the game - not doing it every second shift to get noticed.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Last year the training camp roster was announced September 19th (a Tuesday) with medicals taking place the next day and on-ice sessions starting Thursday. Probably something similar this year.
and rookie camp about 5 days earlier usually

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad