Player Discussion Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Worth it.

It seems that Sabres twitter doesn't have the same appreciation of Cozens actions that we do

upload_2022-2-16_12-32-12.png

What Dylan did and continues to do is absolutely necessary in establishing an identity for this young group, and also helps to pull them closer as a group. Openly disregarding the physical and intimidation side of the game is just as bad as the old school guys that completely ignore the analytics.

Side note: It would be really interesting seeing Sabres twitter react to the Lindy "Go out and run 'em" game.

Last edited:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
It seems that Sabres twitter doesn't have the same appreciation of Cozens actions that we do

View attachment 507766

What Dylan did and continues to do is absolutely necessary in establishing an identity for this young group, and also helps to pull them closer as a group. Openly disregarding the physical and intimidation side of the game is just as bad as the old school guys that completely ignore the analytics.

Side note: It would be really interesting seeing Sabres twitter react to the Lindy "Go out and run 'em" game.
Yeah, there's a big difference between this and trying to injure Jack to be vindictive, and also a big difference between this and potentially paralyzing someone by boarding them headfirst into a wall. It's a punk play to hit someone from behind, but it was a punk play to hit someone in the nuts from behind. Better to get bullied and address it immediately than wait for a shift down the road to hit him hard and whisper "that was for my nuts," as he picks himself up. Of course, there's plenty of time to still do that, but it won't have the same corrective behavior as an immediate response.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013

View attachment 507766

Idk if anyone else agrees but I can’t stand Joe Yerdon. Guy just seems like a whiner.

Did these guys not watch the last 10 years of Sabres players hanging their heads and avoiding confrontation when the opposition gets chippy?!

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
It wasn't really that close to the boards, I don't think Nelson was in danger there. I think fans are okay with the response, because we have been soft forever. It seems like it is always other teams taking liberties with our players and not the other way around. And there never seems to be a response. How many goalies have lost time the past 2 seasons due to injuries from opponents falling on them or hitting them in the helmet?

For example Stamkos smoked Cozens in the head with a cheap shot earlier this year that was 100x more dangerous. No discipline from the league. I would have no issue if the team would have immediately responded to that (which they didn't of course).

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Idk if anyone else agrees but I can’t stand Joe Yerdon. Guy just seems like a whiner.

Did these guys not watch the last 10 years of Sabres players hanging their heads and avoiding confrontation when the opposition gets chippy?!

I like Joe and his work, I really do. I actually like all of the guys that I clipped in that snapshot, but sometimes they get caught up in the spreadsheet analysis of the game. Yes, some things matter more than others in game analysis, but people forget that everything DOES matter in the grand scheme of things.

Anyone that has played hockey knows that benches are very aware of the physical element of game. When you play against a finesse team you'll often hear things like this from the bench:
"Just lean on these guys, they don't like contact, they'll start playing timid"
"That guy dangling and toe-dragging thru us, give him a couple whacks on his hands, he'll fall apart"
"After every whistle give that guy a nudge, he gets frustrated easily"

Imagine giving a guy a nut shot and then casually skating back to your bench without repercussions. I guarantee at that moment the Isles bench would know that they own these kids. Cozens knew better than to let that slide.

There's a mental aspect, a physical aspect, and a talent aspect to the game, and last night Cozens absolutely got all 3 right.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It wasn't really that close to the boards, I don't think Nelson was in danger there. I think fans are okay with the response, because we have been soft forever. It seems like it is always other teams taking liberties with our players and not the other way around. And there never seems to be a response. How many goalies have lost time the past 2 seasons due to injuries from opponents falling on them or hitting them in the helmet?

For example Stamkos smoked Cozens in the head with a cheap shot earlier this year that was 100x more dangerous. No discipline from the league. I would have no issue if the team would have immediately responded to that (which they didn't of course).

I'd still not mind if Cozens tunes Stamkos up in some fashion in the future. But I'm that way - I admit, I hold a grudge.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

View attachment 507766

"Everyone gets a trophy" crew

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like Joe and his work, I really do. I actually like all of the guys that I clipped in that snapshot, but sometimes they get caught up in the spreadsheet analysis of the game. Yes, some things matter more than others in game analysis, but people forget that everything DOES matter in the grand scheme of things.

Anyone that has played hockey knows that benches are very aware of the physical element of game. When you play against a finesse team you'll often hear things like this from the bench:
"Just lean on these guys, they don't like contact, they'll start playing timid"
"That guy dangling and toe-dragging thru us, give him a couple whacks on his hands, he'll fall apart"
"After every whistle give that guy a nudge, he gets frustrated easily"

Imagine giving a guy a nut shot and then casually skating back to your bench without repercussions. I guarantee at that moment the Isles bench would know that they own these kids. Cozens knew better than to let that slide.

There's a mental aspect, a physical aspect, and a talent aspect to the game, and last night Cozens absolutely got all 3 right.

Agreed. The game is very much about creating and taking space from others. We know some players will not be interested in going near someone who will give it back. That creates space, separation, and opportunity. It's how little, pointy players like Audette and Briere were able to go into the trees around the net and get away with it sometimes -- they were going to jab, slash, and spear their way to clearing space around them.

Give it back, take no shit. And yes, it's dirty. And that is part of the game. Stop being f***ing patsies.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Plays well with Okposo, get him another player similar next season but with more speed and maybe he will breakthrough ?

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Can’t help but feel Cozens has a lot of untapped potential still (even with being over 0.5 p/g). I think he should have spent a lot more time in Rochester, but that ship has probably sailed.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Can’t help but feel Cozens has a lot of untapped potential still (even with being over 0.5 p/g). I think he should have spent a lot more time in Rochester, but that ship has probably sailed.
Of course he has untapped potential. He’s only 21 (on Feb 9th) and is playing in his first full NHL season.

I’m not sure what the Rochester comments are about. He never played there.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad