Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Does a contract still count towards the 50-contract limit during slide years?

(Not criticizing their decision to give him an ELC, just curious.)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How many second rounders don't get contracts? I can't think of the last 2nd rounder from the Sabres that didn't get an ELC.

I mean in terms of development into NHL players who play in excess of 100 games - most teams sign their 2nd rounders eventually. Typically there are only a couple of 2nds per year who don't sign, the most recent I can think of being Mascherin who got redrafted last year, but he decided that, not the Panthers. It doesn't hurt to wait a year to see if the player is who you think he is before using an ELC on him.

Third rounders get even more frequent in terms of missing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If a contract slides, what are the implications on actual paycheck to player? Does he still get paid anything by the Sabres?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
If a contract slides, what are the implications on actual paycheck to player? Does he still get paid anything by the Sabres?

I believe he would get any signing bonus this year, even if it slides. Plus, if he is still injured, he would get his NHL salary for the days he is injured before he is sent back. Much like Guhle in 2015

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am very excited for Cozens. I expected him to be a top 5 pick. I honestly am higher on Cozens then Mitts. I think Cozens is the hands down legit 2C by 2021.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Mitts-Cozens-Olofsson

Now that is a cup contender worthy top 6 assuming the 2nd liners all hit their potential ( Mitts 60-65 points, Cozens 70-75 points, Olofsson 30+ goal scorer).

I wonder if Cozens ends up getting a 9 game look. If we do not acquire a 2C for Risto then I would not mind him getting 3C minutes for the 9 game sample.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I hope it's not his fishing thumb. The Zach Bogosian IR Fishing Camp has become an annual event that injured players have come to look forward to. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach step up to bait the kid's hook and handle the more demanding casts. That's what makes him such a great leader.
I wanted to see if it was still there but he’s hiding his left thumb in the picture so I’m guessing it doesn’t look pretty right now

Reactions: Chainshot

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Having a cast is fine. Recovery is very fast once you're out of it. I had a bad thumb fracture a few years ago, needed surgery, pins, cast, the whole 9 yards. In a cast for 5 weeks, strength returned astonishingly fast once the cast was off and hardware out. I'm not worried about him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Cozens, selected by the Sabres with the No. 7 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, had surgery in early July to repair a dislocated left thumb sustained June 29. He was expected to need 2-3 months to recover, but said he's been shooting pucks since Aug. 15, which was the first time he was on the ice since the injury.

"I was able to get out there and feel the puck a bit and I was able to rip it as hard as I normally can," Cozens said during the NHLPA Rookie Showcase at MedStar Capitals Iceplex on Sunday. "I'm not fully cleared yet, but I hope to be as soon as possible. There's no rushing things. I don't want to rush it. But right now, I can shoot.

"I want to be cleared for that (Prospects Challenge) and I'm optimistic for that. I feel like I have a good chance of being ready for that, but you never know. We'll see by then."

Last edited:
Reactions: kummelweck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad