Value of: Dumping Campbell with 1.5 retained

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't see the Hawks being interested.

No interest in a free 1st and 2nd by making use of your unused, unneeded cap space? Okay fine.

Oilers are better off buying him out in the summer rather than using assets to move him if they need to retain.

Yup this. The calculations are pretty simple. It’s just math. With the buy out we free cap space anyways, which is the only reason to do this deal. Once you retain 1.5M to dump Campbell there is no longer a reason to lose a 1st and 2nd at all. You keep the assets and buy him out without too much thought needed.

Reactions: Spawn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yup this. The calculations are pretty simple. It’s just math. With the buy out we free cap space anyways, which is the only reason to do this deal. Once you retain 1.5M to dump Campbell there is no longer a reason to lose a 1st and 2nd at all. You keep the assets and buy him out without too much thought needed.
Retaining costs 4.5 over the next three years while a buyout is 6, plus the additional three years @1.5. And how else do the Oilers move around money to further improve their roster this season? As good as they're playing they can't go into playoffs with Ceci as an everyday top 4 option. The price to move him at full cap is allegedly at least two 2 1sts

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Retaining costs 4.5 over the next three years while a buyout is 6, plus the additional three years @1.5. And how else do the Oilers move around money to further improve their roster this season? As good as they're playing they can't go into playoffs with Ceci as an everyday top 4 option. The price to move him at full cap is allegedly at least two 2 1sts

Yeh that’s minimal cap savings unworthy of the value of a 1st and 2nd. The 1.5M in years 4-6 will essentially be equivalent to minimum contracts in those years as the cap limit will be 100M++ that far down the road.

There’s other ways to free up that cap space. And you CAN go into post season with Ceci as top 4D, he like most of our defence is completely solid under Knoblauchs coaching. But let’s say you still wanted to upgrade Ceci (and i do). You could ship Ceci out for a 6th or whatever, that’s 3.25M saved. Then spend a 2nd + 4th to bring in UFA rental Sean Walker @ 50% retained for 1.3M. There, you just upgraded and saved 2M spending assets. Now we have an extra 2M to spend that you can use to target the other upgrade we need, a Top 6RW. You send a 1st+ to get UFA rental Tarasenko for example at 2.5M. You send one bottom 6 roster player to the AHL and he fits the Cap.

There, now you’ve upgrade 2RD and 2RW WITHOUT touching Campbells contract at all. With the addition of Perry to bolster the bottom 6, we’ve essentially upgraded the team on all fronts.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The oilers will have to address this in the offseason, either through a buyout or trade him. They need the cap savings for 2024-25.

Currently they have 74 M committed to next year for 7F, 6D and 1 G (includes Campbell's buried cap hit of 3.85 plus the about 2M dead cap on Neal buyout. Then that conner Brown contract rears its ugly head. They have used LTIR this year so that entire Brown bonus of 3.225M will hit next years cap. Now 77.2M are used. assuming a 87.5M cap They have about 10M to add 6 Forwards a D and a goalie too have a 22 man roster.

If they buy him out the free up 3.85 (buried hit) less buyout cost for 24-25 of 1.1M or 2.75M.

Trading him without much retention will be expensive. For around 6.5m for 1 yr guys like Monahan and Marleau cost a 1st. Teams will be reluctant to take on 3 years of cap hit. Its easy to sell 1 yr to your fans we are not using the space for 1 yr and we get a shiny pick. But with 3 years you are telling your fans we'd rather spend 5M on Campbell for 3 years than use it to improve our team- fans of the acquiring team won't like that. It is like telling your fans we have no intention of competing for next 3 years.

That conner brown contract complicates things

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The oilers will have to address this in the offseason, either through a buyout or trade him. They need the cap savings for 2024-25.

Currently they have 74 M committed to next year for 7F, 6D and 1 G (includes Campbell's buried cap hit of 3.85 plus the about 2M dead cap on Neal buyout. Then that conner Brown contract rears its ugly head. They have used LTIR this year so that entire Brown bonus of 3.225M will hit next years cap. Now 77.2M are used. assuming a 87.5M cap They have about 10M to add 6 Forwards a D and a goalie too have a 22 man roster.

If they buy him out the free up 3.85 (buried hit) less buyout cost for 24-25 of 1.1M or 2.75M.

Trading him without much retention will be expensive. For around 6.5m for 1 yr guys like Monahan and Marleau cost a 1st. Teams will be reluctant to take on 3 years of cap hit. Its easy to sell 1 yr to your fans we are not using the space for 1 yr and we get a shiny pick. But with 3 years you are telling your fans we'd rather spend 5M on Campbell for 3 years than use it to improve our team- fans of the acquiring team won't like that. It is like telling your fans we have no intention of competing for next 3 years.

That conner brown contract complicates things

Yeh a buy out in the summer is likely if Campbell doesn’t turn his game around to an NHL level. Sure, that’s established and Oilers are most likely going to do just that.

Regarding the trade option/cap dump option, you are comparing 6.5M to Campbell at 3.8M which is his dead cap when buried. It is 3 years tho, but we also are willing to pay more than 1st. 6.5M in those years were also when the Dead Cap era was happening for the most part. With the cap finally increasing i very much doubt teams see values like that moving forward. It was a unique situation that inflated the value of cap space much higher than it’s ever been in this League. The value of cap space will be trending down from here on out with regular increases to the Cap, even large increases to the cap as NHL revenues took a huge jump with the new TV deals. I think teams would be smart to jump on these inflated values for their rebuild while they have still a chance. 3.8M buried also doesn’t preclude a team from contending, it doesn’t stop the Oilers at all which is self evident, rebuilding teams can still sell hope and belief in the team with picks and prospects. For a rebuilding team, picks and prospects will entice and interest fans more than 3.8M in cap space which most likely won’t even be needed on the ice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Leafs dropped 13 spots to rid themselves of Mrazek(just as bad and had injury issues).
So 13 spots for 7.2m.
Obviously there's extra term and the cap hit is higher(salary is 5.4, 4.2, and 3.9=13.5)

Kahkonen has value but retaining on Campbell really does not improve the Oilers situation to make other moves. In saying that I would do your deal with zero retention
For the Hawks on that deal, they were taking back I think 8.6 mil in cash over two years. I believe they took less than they probably should have to get that done and I won't argue with someone that thinks that alters the landscape of this sort of trade. I think that's fair but I also still think it's fair for a team to ask for two 1st round picks to eat 13.5 mil or the retention ask of a 1st and a 2nd for approximately 9.5 mil after retention. I would respect someone thinking either is too rich for their blood. I think the retention ask is still probably better for the Oilers in the short term than the alternatives. You're still dealing with a similar amount of dead cap on the buyout but for longer or dealing with a larger dead cap if he's buried.

I'd be willing to work with the Oilers to find a creative way to get the deal done but at least one 1st round pick caliber asset has to come the Sharks way to keep me listening. I think the rest of it comes down to making the money work on both ends. If you want to get rid of all of his cap hit, the Oilers need to either pay in futures or take money back if they don't want to retain.
Campbell buried in the minors is 3.8M. We could give you your 1st and 2nd and take back Kahkonnen or Blackwood (your choice) but with 1.5M retention on Campbell it kills any reason for the Oilers to give up the 1st and 2nd

Campbell
1st
2nd

For

Kahkkonen (50% retained as he’s a rental UFA)
The 1.5 mil retention as an idea allows you to only have that sort of dead cap for three years instead of six with a buyout that would likely occur if they can't find a deal before the end of the buyout window. But I'm willing to listen to offers organized differently but the money has to make sense. I don't see a full dump of Campbell with a 1st and a 2nd for Kahkonen at 50% as worthwhile. In that scenario, we're still eating 13.5 mil in the final three years. That amount of money is typically 6 mil for a 1st sort of equation. I would probably be okay with a 1st and two 2nds in this situation or two 1sts. Or a suitable prospect to replace any of these picks if they're at that level.

The other thing is that this could all be a huge waste of time because if the Sharks are on Campbell's no-trade list, I doubt he'd waive it even if he's playing in CA anyway for the most part. lol

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
For the Hawks on that deal, they were taking back I think 8.6 mil in cash over two years. I believe they took less than they probably should have to get that done and I won't argue with someone that thinks that alters the landscape of this sort of trade. I think that's fair but I also still think it's fair for a team to ask for two 1st round picks to eat 13.5 mil or the retention ask of a 1st and a 2nd for approximately 9.5 mil after retention. I would respect someone thinking either is too rich for their blood. I think the retention ask is still probably better for the Oilers in the short term than the alternatives. You're still dealing with a similar amount of dead cap on the buyout but for longer or dealing with a larger dead cap if he's buried.

I'd be willing to work with the Oilers to find a creative way to get the deal done but at least one 1st round pick caliber asset has to come the Sharks way to keep me listening. I think the rest of it comes down to making the money work on both ends. If you want to get rid of all of his cap hit, the Oilers need to either pay in futures or take money back if they don't want to retain.

The 1.5 mil retention as an idea allows you to only have that sort of dead cap for three years instead of six with a buyout that would likely occur if they can't find a deal before the end of the buyout window. But I'm willing to listen to offers organized differently but the money has to make sense. I don't see a full dump of Campbell with a 1st and a 2nd for Kahkonen at 50% as worthwhile. In that scenario, we're still eating 13.5 mil in the final three years. That amount of money is typically 6 mil for a 1st sort of equation. I would probably be okay with a 1st and two 2nds in this situation or two 1sts. Or a suitable prospect to replace any of these picks if they're at that level.

The other thing is that this could all be a huge waste of time because if the Sharks are on Campbell's no-trade list, I doubt he'd waive it even if he's playing in CA anyway for the most part. lol
Jack, you're either playing in Bakersfield, CA or San Jose, CA. Which do you prefer?

I think Kahkonen @50%(if SJ can even retain anymore) for Campbell, 2025 1st (unprotected) , 2nd in 2024, and Xavier Bourgault.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jack, you're either playing in Bakersfield, CA or San Jose, CA. Which do you prefer?

I think Kahkonen @50%(if SJ can even retain anymore) for Campbell, 2025 1st (unprotected) , 2nd in 2024, and Xavier Bourgault.
He'd probably prefer Bakersfield because if I'm not mistaken, he gets paid more being in the AHL than he does playing in the NHL because he doesn't pay into escrow.

I'd probably do that deal.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Just a reminder that Jack is a really nice guy. He's like...super nice. That's not the type of smile you trade for just anybody.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Just a reminder that Jack is a really nice guy. He's like...super nice. That's not the type of smile you trade for just anybody.
You keep saying that on Oilers Nation

He'd probably prefer Bakersfield because if I'm not mistaken, he gets paid more being in the AHL than he does playing in the NHL because he doesn't pay into escrow.

I'd probably do that deal.
He'd probably prefer 1st class flights over busses and 5 star hotels over Super 8's. At least I hope he would

Reactions: LTIR

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
gene_cowboy.gif

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Buyout sucks,
When you feel inclined to go the buyout route, remind yourslef that Dipietro still cost NY 1.5m every year

until 2029.

• Love
Reactions: overlords

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

K just look at this from an Oilers perspective. We would be doing this deal to be able to go all in during the McDavid window. That’s 3 years. Why would we pay 1st and 2nd for these measly savings equal to a 4th line grinder added to the roster? The 1st and 2nd reduces what we can buy during the TDL in these 3’years too. So bye bye Top 6 and Top 4 additions we need for the McDavid window.

Buyout Cap vs Retention Cap
1.1M vs 1.5M = Net Loss 400K
2.3M vs 1.5M = Net Savings 800K
2.6M vs 1.5M = Net Savings 1.1M

Then in years 4-6 it’s 1.5M net savings against a 100M Cap, which is close to league minimum today. It’s hardly worth the asset cost with retention.

The deal with retention just doesn’t make it worth it as the only reason we’d do it is to make an all-in cup or bust move. By the way Holland in his most recent presser was excited about Campbell’s improved play now sporting a save percentage of .920 in this recent stretch. Rishaugh from TSN speculated that this means Campbell will be back up on the team and Holland is not willing to pull the plug just yet. And with our team defence playing better than ever it makes sense for him to do this.

I suspect if teams want to pretend that 3.8Mx3 years is going to kill their franchise and they want the moon+++ to take it on, Holland will just keep doing what he has been doing which is saying NO DEAL.

Simply put, the free 1st and 2nd are going to sail away if no team comes to the table with a deal that makes sense for the Oilers. Holland will make a deal and even take a slight fleecing for the mistake that he made, but there’s a limit. Either a team is going to take advantage of Hollands mistake and take a 1st + 2nd or Holland will just try to revive his mistake behind a now elite team defence.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Buyout sucks,
When you feel inclined to go the buyout route, remind yourslef that Dipietro still cost NY 1.5m every year

until 2029.

Because DiPietro had 8 years left on his 15 year deal when he was bought out.

Campbell doesn’t have any signing bonuses during his last 3 years, a buyout is definitely doable and the most likely solution.

It’s 2.6-1.5m of dead cap space for 6 years.

A signing bonus made Petterson buyout proof last off-season. That’s why the Kings retained 30% (2.025m) on Provorov for 2 years, along with giving up Walker and futures, to move him instead.

If guys can be bought out they typically are, unless a team is in an impossible cap crunch. The anchor players that have to get moved are the one’s with signing bonuses that block buyouts.

Edit: corrected Petterson deal.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Campbell doesn’t have any signing bonuses during his last 3 years, a buyout is definitely doable and the most likely solution.

A signing bonus made Petterson buyout proof last off-season. That’s why the Kings retained 30% (2.025m) on Provorov for 2 years, along with giving up Walker and 2023 1st (#22), to move him instead.

If guys can be bought out they typically are, unless a team is in an impossible cap crunch. The anchor players that have to get moved are the one’s with signing bonuses that block buyouts.

Great post and thank you for that perspective on Petersen’s buy out. I knew I was missing a piece of the puzzle when I was analyzing that Trade and you just illuminated it. The Petersen buyout would have been impossible (5.1M cap hit after buy out in year 1!) which is partly why the Kings were forced to pay a high price to get rid of him. The Oilers Campbell buy out is not the same. However small correction though, the Kings sent a 2nd plus a Prospect (Helge Grans) on top of the Provorov retention. They didn’t send a 23 1st. That was a component of the CBJ Philly part of the deal.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If you can get Fleury to waive and come here, I think you keep Campbell till the offseason.

Kulak to Arizona for the Oilers 2024 3rd pick
Fleury with 50% retention for 2024 2nd and a B prospect
Call up Broberg

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Ryan-Brown
Gagner

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Desharnais
Kemp

Skinner
Fleury

With cap space if you want to upgrade any of the other forwards.
I don't think trading Kulak is the answer. We need playoff depth on the blueline, and Kulak has always played his best in the playoffs. If anything, I'd rather we add another depth defenseman, so we have 7 NHL defensemen with experience, plus Broberg.

If my math is right (an it may not be, not a math superstar over here), the Oilers would need to find 811K to bring in Fleury on deadline day (this is the pro-rated salary he would still have on his contract), not counting Pickard going down (which is around 100K). According to Cap Friendly, we have $668,937 in deadline space at the moment, so we're close to being able to afford Fleury even without dumping Kulak - we are under 100K away. I don't have any ideas for getting that 100K, and it would mean we don't get any other roster players - it would be Fleury, and running with what we have, unless we can trade for another league minimum player and slide guys like Brown or Gagner down to the AHL.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

A signing bonus made Petterson buyout proof last off-season. That’s why the Kings retained 30% (2.025m) on Provorov for 2 years, along with giving up Walker and futures, to move him instead.

Edit: corrected Petterson deal.
Dead space sucks, but everyone needs to realize that this is already sunk cost. We don't have many options.

1) Pray that Campbell resurfaces as a reliable NHL goalie
2) Hope he retires our of embarrassment
3) Pray that we can pay someone to take him for a relatively inexpensive amount, so we aren't dealing with a 3.8M cap hit on a minor league goalie for 3 more years.
4) Buyout

1 & 2 are pipe dreams. Not happening. 3 is hard, and there are probably fewer teams than in the past willing to do this (Arizona said they aren't doing it anymore). That leaves 4 as the most logical conclusion.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't think trading Kulak is the answer. We need playoff depth on the blueline, and Kulak has always played his best in the playoffs. If anything, I'd rather we add another depth defenseman, so we have 7 NHL defensemen with experience, plus Broberg.

If my math is right (an it may not be, not a math superstar over here), the Oilers would need to find 811K to bring in Fleury on deadline day (this is the pro-rated salary he would still have on his contract), not counting Pickard going down (which is around 100K). According to Cap Friendly, we have $668,937 in deadline space at the moment, so we're close to being able to afford Fleury even without dumping Kulak - we are under 100K away. I don't have any ideas for getting that 100K, and it would mean we don't get any other roster players - it would be Fleury, and running with what we have, unless we can trade for another league minimum player and slide guys like Brown or Gagner down to the AHL.

If we keep Kulak, probably looking at a double retention situation, which shouldn't cost too much considering it would be like $400K.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If we keep Kulak, probably looking at a double retention situation, which shouldn't cost too much considering it would be like $400K.
As long as we can find a team to take a mid round pick to retain some on him, this would be ideal.

Edmonton gets MAF with double retention
Minnesota gets 2nd round pick and B prospect???
3rd team (Let's throw Nashville out here, as we have a good trading history with them recently) - 3rd or 4th rounder to retain 1 750 000.

Pickard gets sent down

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
K just look at this from an Oilers perspective. We would be doing this deal to be able to go all in during the McDavid window. That’s 3 years. Why would we pay 1st and 2nd for these measly savings equal to a 4th line grinder added to the roster? The 1st and 2nd reduces what we can buy during the TDL in these 3’years too. So bye bye Top 6 and Top 4 additions we need for the McDavid window.

Buyout Cap vs Retention Cap
1.1M vs 1.5M = Net Loss 400K
2.3M vs 1.5M = Net Savings 800K
2.6M vs 1.5M = Net Savings 1.1M

Then in years 4-6 it’s 1.5M net savings against a 100M Cap, which is close to league minimum today. It’s hardly worth the asset cost with retention.

The deal with retention just doesn’t make it worth it as the only reason we’d do it is to make an all-in cup or bust move. By the way Holland in his most recent presser was excited about Campbell’s improved play now sporting a save percentage of .920 in this recent stretch. Rishaugh from TSN speculated that this means Campbell will be back up on the team and Holland is not willing to pull the plug just yet. And with our team defence playing better than ever it makes sense for him to do this.

I suspect if teams want to pretend that 3.8Mx3 years is going to kill their franchise and they want the moon+++ to take it on, Holland will just keep doing what he has been doing which is saying NO DEAL.

Simply put, the free 1st and 2nd are going to sail away if no team comes to the table with a deal that makes sense for the Oilers. Holland will make a deal and even take a slight fleecing for the mistake that he made, but there’s a limit. Either a team is going to take advantage of Hollands mistake and take a 1st + 2nd or Holland will just try to revive his mistake behind a now elite team defence.
The answer to your first question is that that's the cost to dump the contract you want to get rid of even with that retention rate. If you can't part with those picks what is there to compensate for the ask? If you want to get rid of all the cap hit, you have to pay the equivalent of two 1st round picks. I can understand the retention ask not being worth it for the Oilers. I can even understand the two 1st rounders for a full cap dump as not being worth it because they won't have much to use to make other improvements in the trade market later. It's why I believe the buyout is their best option with Campbell.

By the same token of looking at it through the Oilers' perspective, you have to look at it through the Sharks perspective. They need significant future value to take on a significant cap dump. It's not going to be easy to drop a buried contract that has three more years and 13+ mil left on it.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
As long as we can find a team to take a mid round pick to retain some on him, this would be ideal.

Edmonton gets MAF with double retention
Minnesota gets 2nd round pick and B prospect???
3rd team (Let's throw Nashville out here, as we have a good trading history with them recently) - 3rd or 4th rounder to retain 1 750 000.

Pickard gets sent down

Other option if we want to exclude the 3rd team would be something like:

MAF (50%) and Maroon (50%) for Janmark, 2024 2nd, 2025 4th and a B prospect

That would leave about $175K in cap space.

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Drai-Foegele
Maroon-McLeod-Perry
Brown/Gagner-Holloway-Ryan

Bottom 6 could be moved around based on matchup and play.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The answer to your first question is that that's the cost to dump the contract you want to get rid of even with that retention rate. If you can't part with those picks what is there to compensate for the ask? If you want to get rid of all the cap hit, you have to pay the equivalent of two 1st round picks. I can understand the retention ask not being worth it for the Oilers. I can even understand the two 1st rounders for a full cap dump as not being worth it because they won't have much to use to make other improvements in the trade market later. It's why I believe the buyout is their best option with Campbell.

By the same token of looking at it through the Oilers' perspective, you have to look at it through the Sharks perspective. They need significant future value to take on a significant cap dump. It's not going to be easy to drop a buried contract that has three more years and 13+ mil left on it.

Let’s be honest here. I know exactly what it looks like from a Sharks perspective. A free 1st and 2nd for cap space you will not need. That’s what it is. You can keep parroting the narrative of it’ll cost tWo 1sTs tO dUmP cAmPbeLl all you want. And Holland will just say no and buy him out. So bye bye 1st and 2nd for San Jose just cause you got greedy and stuck in a narrative. I’m at 1st an 2nd as my Max with zero retention. Take it or leave it. We can and will buy Campbell out if a team wants to get greedy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let’s be honest here. I know exactly what it looks like from a Sharks perspective. A free 1st and 2nd for cap space you will not need. That’s what it is. You can keep parroting the narrative of it’ll cost tWo 1sTs tO dUmP cAmPbeLl all you want. And Holland will just say no and buy him out. So bye bye 1st and 2nd for San Jose just cause you got greedy and stuck in a narrative. I’m at 1st an 2nd as my Max with zero retention. Take it or leave it. We can and will buy Campbell out if a team wants to get greedy.
If you were the Oilers in the Sharks situation, this is not the honesty you'd run with because you aren't going to do a team in your division any favors. Paying a dead cap contract like Campbell 13.5 mil over three years is hardly a free 1st and 2nd. It's overpaying for draft picks that are still long odds. I'm amenable to the Oilers only forking over a 1st and a 2nd but if they're going to hardline that, they need to take back some contracts to cover the difference. A 1st and a 2nd pays for about 9 mil of the 13.5 mil you're trying to dump on us that has no value. So then take back a contract or two that comes close to covering that. That could be some combination of Blackwood, Rutta, Sturm, Burroughs, and Givani Smith. I think those are reasonable terms and a reasonable way to bridge the gap.

And if those terms don't work for you, the Sharks are likely perfectly content with the free cap space and can use it on many other priorities that would actually help them be better sooner rather than later.

Reactions: pth2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad