Value of: Dumping Campbell with 1.5 retained

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It’s because he’s seeing cap friendly or some other sight posting campbell with 3.85 cap hit when it’s 5 mil
Nah, it's because the poster got confused.

The poster was talking about how Edmonton is saving 1.2 with Campbell in the AHL, so retaining here 1.5 and saving only 300k isn't worth all those assets. The poster was obviously confused and is taking this now as 3.5 being retained.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Oilers are a wagon again, Corey Perry signing is a NICE little add as long as the moms are locked away.

I know trading Jack Campbell has been beaten to death as an impossible task -price to move him likely being somewhere from 1st + 2nd to 2 1sts- and it doesn't make sense for the Oilers to do that given what a summer buyout looks like. That being said, Oilers window is wide open but they could still use a top 4 upgrade and a better goalie to pair with Skinner. They need the cap space now and don't really have other options to create it.

So curious what the cost of dumping Campbell at 3.5 would be? What would they have to add to Campbell @3.5 to send him to a rebuilder, say for Mrazek @50% or Kahkonen? Even if the acquiring team bought Campbell out in the summer of 2025, I don't really see tying up a retention slot long-term as an issue for Edmonton
1.5 million won't be enough.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It depends on what are the other parts of the deal. In a perfect world the Oilers combine assets with Jack Campbell and are able to acquire another goalie from a team like San Jose and get rid of the whole hit although that is probably more wishful thinking. I am just hoping with all the progress the team is making the plan is not to give him another chance. I think the Oilers have given him more then enough opportunity at this point. He has been simply lousy since day one although the way the Oilers are playing right now most NHL level goalies would perform reasonably well. Campbell is just so unreliable and he has not really looked like and NHL goalie for an entire season.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't think Campbell is the guy to trade this year. Keep him buried in the minors and then either retain to trade in the offseason or buy out. Kulak would be my choice to trade with Broberg taking his spot.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Campbell will be a call-up for the playoffs and traded/bought out this summer. Crap contracts always get moved
Mrazek with an .888 NHL Sv% .843 AHL Sv% traded to Hawks with a late first-round pick for an early 2nd round pick
Campbell with an .873 NHL Sv% and .906 AHL Sv% shouldn't be too difficult to move even though the contract is 1 year longer and 1.2 million more AAV.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Compare a buy out vs a retention.

in june the buy out is 1.1, 2.3, 2.6, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5.

youcan get the cap down to $3M or less. You will still need to add something.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Forget retention, if Edmonton wants to free up cap space while also getting a goalie, how about Allen at 50% for Campbell, 2 first round picks, a 2nd, and someone like Holloway ?

Breakdown: the Holloway is for the 50% retention over a year and a half, the 2 firsts are for the 2 extra years, 2nd is for Allen's actual value as a goalie. The firsts could be top-5 protected but if so, they have to be bottom-7 protected as well (ie, if the picks are later because of Edmonton's success in the playoffs, Habs get to defer the pick to the next year).

From Montreal's point of view, adding a couple of firsts, a 2nd and a good kid would give the rebuild a nice influx of assets, from Edmonton's, it gives them a reasonably sound backup at a discount salary, and cap room for 1 or 2 significant upgrades elsewhere in the lineup.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It would need to be more than 1.5M for it to make sense for Edmonton. They can bury 1.2M (roughly) in Bakersfield, so they are only making up 300K if the deal only retains 1.5M. They'd probably be better off buying him out this summer if all they are saving is 300K more than what they are saving by keeping him in the AHL.
Can you bury a contract in the minors after you’ve done retention on a trade? I didn’t think that was allowed

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
OP shouldn’t have preluded this whole discussion with the 1.5M retention option, if you want real discussion of what it would take to dump Campbell.

The closest example to a Campbell dump is Cal Petersen. Exact same Cap hit, exact same shitty goalie status, only 1 year shorter term.

Petersen’s 5M wasn’t dumped though. His minors cap hit was dumped. For Campbell that means we are dumping 3.8M/year x 3 years to whichever team acquiring him.

So Oilers would save 3.8M per year if they paid up and shipped him out wholesale. The buyout option would have Campbell as a 1.1M Cap hit this year (Savings of 2.7M). 2.6M cap hit next year (Savings of 1.2M). 2.9M cap the year after that (Savings of 900K).

It makes little sense to Pay 1sts++++ and retain 1.5M when the buy out option exists.

Let’s be honest here, There are teams in this League where Cap hits of 3.8M would be literally irrelevent for 2-3 years based on their cap structure and their current development cycle. Sharks are one example, Chicago is another.

If you want free picks and futures to take in an IRRELEVANT cap hit of 3.8M then you need to come to the table with something that makes sense for the Oilers compared to the buy out option.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Forget retention, if Edmonton wants to free up cap space while also getting a goalie, how about Allen at 50% for Campbell, 2 first round picks, a 2nd, and someone like Holloway ?

Breakdown: the Holloway is for the 50% retention over a year and a half, the 2 firsts are for the 2 extra years, 2nd is for Allen's actual value as a goalie. The firsts could be top-5 protected but if so, they have to be bottom-7 protected as well (ie, if the picks are later because of Edmonton's success in the playoffs, Habs get to defer the pick to the next year).

From Montreal's point of view, adding a couple of firsts, a 2nd and a good kid would give the rebuild a nice influx of assets, from Edmonton's, it gives them a reasonably sound backup at a discount salary, and cap room for 1 or 2 significant upgrades elsewhere in the lineup.

How bout no cause Allen sucks and the Campbell buy out option exists where we can save all those futures. That’s no where close to being worth it for the Oil.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018

Edmonton is blowing almost the entirety of their asset pool to get rid of Campbell and get Jake f***ing Allen? It’s been brought up numerous times but the Campbell buyout is very manageable especially with the cap going up. Giving up two 1sts, a 2nd and Holloway makes next to no sense. So yes, you clear up cap space but you have no assets left to acquire meaningful pieces and all you got was Jake Allen who isn’t even a major upgrade on Pickard.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Edmonton is blowing almost the entirety of their asset pool to get rid of Campbell and get Jake f***ing Allen? It’s been brought up numerous times but the Campbell buyout is very manageable especially with the cap going up. Giving up two 1sts, a 2nd and Holloway makes next to no sense. So yes, you clear up cap space but you have no assets left to acquire meaningful pieces and all you got was Jake Allen who isn’t even a major upgrade on Pickard.
Well, getting out of that contract will cost assets of some kind, maybe not as much as I suggested.... but still something that will hurt. The buyout option is there, but won't work as well as just moving out Campbell. If Allen isn't a fit, it means this can only work if Montreal finds a taker for him elsewhere, and Edmonton still needs to find a decent backup.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Well, getting out of that contract will cost assets of some kind, maybe not as much as I suggested.... but still something that will hurt. The buyout option is there, but won't work as well as just moving out Campbell. If Allen isn't a fit, it means this can only work if Montreal finds a taker for him elsewhere, and Edmonton still needs to find a decent backup.
I realize trading Campbell is going to cost assets but why trade two 1st round picks+ in order to move him when you can buy him out in the summer and save all those assets. I don’t doubt it would be expensive to get a team to take Campbell but the cheap buyout is the much smarter option.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I realize trading Campbell is going to cost assets but why trade two 1st round picks+ in order to move him when you can buy him out in the summer and save all those assets. I don’t doubt it would be expensive to get a team to take Campbell but the cheap buyout is the much smarter option.
It’s the only really practical solution. Just need to ride out this year and buy out this summer.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m really liking the Go Pound Sand option, that Holland has been using all year even when oilers were in panic mode. Panic mode is over. So Go Pound Concrete.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManofSteel55

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The buyout ends up taking cap room over far more seasons, so even if McDavid and Draisatl re-sign, the team will be handicapped, in particular that year at 2.6.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can you bury a contract in the minors after you’ve done retention on a trade? I didn’t think that was allowed
I don't think you can.
Plus there’s real cash needed to be paid on a buy out.
Campbell is probably close to unmoveable.
The price would be crazy.
Oilers will buy him out this summer.
Cal Petersen was moved this past offseason. There are always "untradeable" contracts that get traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad