Value of: Dumping Campbell with 1.5 retained

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The buyout ends up taking cap room over far more seasons, so even if McDavid and Draisatl re-sign, the team will be handicapped, in particular that year at 2.6.

Only 1.5M cap hit in years 4-6. With the cap increasing now rapidly every year, that will be peanuts then. It’ll be like a league minimum contract in those years. Nearly irrelevent.

Sure. No one is untradeable. Effectively though the price would be way too high.
You know LA didn’t send a 1st in that package right? Oilers are willing to, but there’s a limit to the damage that makes sense considering the buy out option.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sure. No one is untradeable. Effectively though the price would be way too high.
Oh yeah, it'll be massive for sure.

I keep wondering to myself if it couldn't be tied in to a deal that actually might help us. I don't have an example of the deal I'm thinking of out of what's available right now, but it would be a lot easier to swallow if it was added on to a deal for a key piece for us. Like, if it was the Ekholm trade from last year, it ends up being the same, plus two 1sts and Campbell included.

I know, wishful thinking.

Only 1.5M cap hit in years 4-6. With the cap increasing now rapidly every year, that will be peanuts then. It’ll be like a league minimum contract in those years. Nearly irrelevent.

You know LA didn’t send a 1st in that package right? Oilers are willing to, but there’s a limit to the damage that makes sense considering the buy out option.
They did have to eat some salary from a player that they didn't get though. It's not like they dumped Petersen for nothing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I feel like the issue is the window is the next few years for EDM and and they are going to probably have dead cap space next year with brown and perry bonus. Does it really make sense to have 4 mil in dead cap next year, 2.3 and 2.6 the year after. if you moved campbell now you could take the brown hit this year and then would have the extra money to to improve the team next year. which seems like a huge deal with driastl and mcdvid coming up for new deals. its a tough decision.

Reactions: pth2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, it'll be massive for sure.

I keep wondering to myself if it couldn't be tied in to a deal that actually might help us. I don't have an example of the deal I'm thinking of out of what's available right now, but it would be a lot easier to swallow if it was added on to a deal for a key piece for us. Like, if it was the Ekholm trade from last year, it ends up being the same, plus two 1sts and Campbell included.

I know, wishful thinking.

They did have to eat some salary from a player that they didn't get though. It's not like they dumped Petersen for nothing.

Yeh they did. I know the deal well. Blake also was in Dubious sweepstakes mode and made some really dumb moves to try to fit PL Dubious in the picture. It started with Petersen, then Durzi, then finally the fleecing that was the PL trade.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Here’s the template for a Campbell deal that makes sense.

1st
2nd
Campbell (3.8Mx3years bad cap)
Maybe a Prospect

For

Backup Goalie Rental (50% retained)

Anything more than this and the Oilers keep the 1st, 2nd, and buy out Campbell.

If Cap space matters to your rebuilding team or you want to pretend it does. Then just walk, we will buy him out. If Cap space in no way affects your team for the next 2-3 years then come and take some FREE futures.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers are a wagon again, Corey Perry signing is a NICE little add as long as the moms are locked away.

I know trading Jack Campbell has been beaten to death as an impossible task -price to move him likely being somewhere from 1st + 2nd to 2 1sts- and it doesn't make sense for the Oilers to do that given what a summer buyout looks like. That being said, Oilers window is wide open but they could still use a top 4 upgrade and a better goalie to pair with Skinner. They need the cap space now and don't really have other options to create it.

So curious what the cost of dumping Campbell at 3.5 would be? What would they have to add to Campbell @3.5 to send him to a rebuilder, say for Mrazek @50% or Kahkonen? Even if the acquiring team bought Campbell out in the summer of 2025, I don't really see tying up a retention slot long-term as an issue for Edmonton
What would you give up for a team to take whole contract on?

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Why? Because he is toxic? If he continues to put together strong showings there is no reason to not call him back up
Because he is too mentally fragile and the team doesn't need to have their focus revolving around hoping/praying Campbell can make a stop.

He's let in some brutal goals during his time in the AHL and a tiny sample size of decent play isn't convincing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Because he is too mentally fragile and the team doesn't need to have their focus revolving around hoping/praying Campbell can make a stop.

He's let in some brutal goals during his time in the AHL and a tiny sample size of decent play isn't convincing.
Yeh, so give him another month or 2 in AHL to get a bigger sample size.
Broberg looked like trash here earlier but is putting up good consistent performances. Isn't that the point of AHL?

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Yeh, so give him another month or 2 in AHL to get a bigger sample size.
Broberg looked like trash here earlier but is putting up good consistent performances. Isn't that the point of AHL?
Of course, though it should be noted that there isn't a direct correlation between success in the AHL and success in the NHL. If anybody should be aware of that, it's the Oilers.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Good point.. we may have to wait til Pickard goes through a couple stinky outings. Waive him down and call up Campbell
It's actually a 21 man roster, my bad. With Campbell up, Pickard and Holloway down, the team is ~150k short of having another league min player up on the roster.

With Woody's 11-7 that wouldn't have been a problem, but Knobloch is a pretty conventional 12-6 with a backup at F and D kinda coach.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Forget retention, if Edmonton wants to free up cap space while also getting a goalie, how about Allen at 50% for Campbell, 2 first round picks, a 2nd, and someone like Holloway ?

Breakdown: the Holloway is for the 50% retention over a year and a half, the 2 firsts are for the 2 extra years, 2nd is for Allen's actual value as a goalie. The firsts could be top-5 protected but if so, they have to be bottom-7 protected as well (ie, if the picks are later because of Edmonton's success in the playoffs, Habs get to defer the pick to the next year).

From Montreal's point of view, adding a couple of firsts, a 2nd and a good kid would give the rebuild a nice influx of assets, from Edmonton's, it gives them a reasonably sound backup at a discount salary, and cap room for 1 or 2 significant upgrades elsewhere in the lineup.
You're on drugs if you think you're getting two 1st AND Holloway lol. We'll just buy him out thanks

Holloway will be an integral part of the stretch run

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Well, getting out of that contract will cost assets of some kind, maybe not as much as I suggested.... but still something that will hurt. The buyout option is there, but won't work as well as just moving out Campbell. If Allen isn't a fit, it means this can only work if Montreal finds a taker for him elsewhere, and Edmonton still needs to find a decent backup.
Peterson(.868 NHL Sv% .904 AHLSv%) 2 years 5m. Added Walker(bottom pairing D last year) and a 2nd.
Mrazek (.888 NHL Sv% .846 AHL Sv%) 2 years 5m. The Leafs dropped like 10 spots in the draft.
Campbell (.873 NHL Sv% .906 AHL Sv%) 3 years 5m. 2 1sts, a 2nd and Holloway? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think if you want to get rid of Campbell and get a dude back, Holloway would have to be included because he’s the only guy with potential that interests me.

You prob not moving Campbell and getting a better goalie than him back without including a couple things that might hurt later. I’d actually prob want 2 1sts tho and prob broberg also.

So 2 1sts plus broberg plus holloway plus Campbell for Gibson or saros.

Nashville makes more sense tho also.

Askarov plus Campbell. Rook and vet. Makes sense. Anaheim? Do they have a starter if Gibson is moved?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think if you want to get rid of Campbell and get a dude back, Holloway would have to be included because he’s the only guy with potential that interests me.

You prob not moving Campbell and getting a better goalie than him back without including a couple things that might hurt later. I’d actually prob want 2 1sts tho and prob broberg also.

Askarov plus Campbell. Rook and vet. Makes sense. Anaheim? Do they have a starter if Gibson is moved?
The only issue with this type of a deal, is that I don't think the Oilers are really looking at Gibson or Saros. It would put the Oilers with two starters. Skinner has earned the #1 spot in Edmonton this year, he's been great after a shaky start.

What the Oilers really need is an inexpensive #1B to back up Skinner.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Forget retention, if Edmonton wants to free up cap space while also getting a goalie, how about Allen at 50% for Campbell, 2 first round picks, a 2nd, and someone like Holloway ?

Breakdown: the Holloway is for the 50% retention over a year and a half, the 2 firsts are for the 2 extra years, 2nd is for Allen's actual value as a goalie. The firsts could be top-5 protected but if so, they have to be bottom-7 protected as well (ie, if the picks are later because of Edmonton's success in the playoffs, Habs get to defer the pick to the next year).

From Montreal's point of view, adding a couple of firsts, a 2nd and a good kid would give the rebuild a nice influx of assets, from Edmonton's, it gives them a reasonably sound backup at a discount salary, and cap room for 1 or 2 significant upgrades elsewhere in the lineup.

I'd rather give Campbell another shot than trade any assets for Jake Allen.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

We don't need that level of goalie right now. Stu is 15-2 with a .923 in his last 17 starts. He was a calder nominee last year. The Oilers need a veteran platoon tender in the ilk of Fleury to pair with him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

That's such a bad option for Edmonton that they would very clearly not consider

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
We don't need that level of goalie right now. Stu is 15-2 with a .923 in his last 17 starts. He was a calder nominee last year. The Oilers need a veteran platoon tender in the ilk of Fleury to pair with him.

If you can get Fleury to waive and come here, I think you keep Campbell till the offseason.

Kulak to Arizona for the Oilers 2024 3rd pick
Fleury with 50% retention for 2024 2nd and a B prospect
Call up Broberg

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Ryan-Brown
Gagner

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Desharnais
Kemp

Skinner
Fleury

With cap space if you want to upgrade any of the other forwards.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well, my proposal might not look so bad if someone thinks Allen is an ok goalie of that caliber.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Nobody is gaslighting you dude, get over yourself. You made a post with an ambigous title, proposing something that is against the CBA (dumping 3.5M of a 5M contract is over the 50% maximum).

So going back to your OP, nobody will do what you are asking. Because they aren't allowed, without getting a 3rd team involved.
2.5 is half of 5 1.5 is less than 2.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad