Proposal: Ducks - Leafs Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I am not sure why I thought Rielly had a booming shot - fans have since corrected me. Not sure who I was thinking of instead...

Far as Marner, as a Duck fan I would much rather take the sure thing at this point, than gamble on a) hitting a top 3 pick and b) the prospect actually developing to full potential (Ducks historically do much better with goalies and dmen).

Adding Marner, (hopefully) any improvement in the PP and just a bit better health, Ducks are easily outside the bottom few picks IMO.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Can this season just start already!~!~!!!
Marner is an ELITE player, you don't get 1 of those for a pick, middle 6 player and a D man swap.
Zegras will never get 90 points, Drysdale may be a legit top pair or he may be a 3rd pair and the 1st pick is meh in that there will be no Matthews, Marner, Eichel level player available outside of the top 3

What would you pay for Kane?, Panarin, Kuch? As much as HF likes to say player A>>player B with Marner you are getting a similar level player.
Until Marner shows up when it matters most, other clubs have a legit beef about him and his contract. Yes he’s a great talent. But you gotta play well in the playoffs. Can’t go goal scoring AWOL.

Reactions: Trojans86

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
2 overpaid soft bums from toronto that make too much money,never gonna happen.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This thread is so HF. I take the magic beans pick over a 23 year old with multiple 90+ point pace seasons (and 1 100 pace) because someday, the pick MIGHT do the same.. but likely not.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This thread is so HF. I take the magic beans pick over a 23 year old with multiple 90+ point pace seasons (and 1 100 pace) because someday, the pick MIGHT do the same.. but likely not.
what exactly does Marner do that helps us compete exactly? taking up 11mil in cap for someone who will absolutely not be putting up 90+ on this team. it's classic HF to ignore all the context and just look only at point total.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
what exactly does Marner do that helps us compete exactly? taking up 11mil in cap for someone who will absolutely not be putting up 90+ on this team. it's classic HF to ignore all the context and just look only at point total.

Because you are ignoring that he is 23 and already basically best case scenario for any pick after 5, and really even the top end of the draft is no guarantee. It's not like he is some mooch, he's lead the team in points the past few seasons. He's absolutely a top end winger in the league.

People said the same things leading into McDavid draft. Guess what? Eichel isn't any better than Marner tbh, and 3rd OA was Dylan Strome. 5th OA was Hanifin. The only player who can arguably be said to be better in the top 10 outside of McDavid are Eichel and Rantanen who went 9th.

It's 100% HF to take the mystery box. Sure, I COULD take a forward entering their prime who has lead their team in points almost since they came into the league, has multiple 90+ point seasons in a row + a 100 point pace one... But this draft pick MIGHT do that too! And this one is some magical player with no flaws who will take a discount.

If that pick was 5th OA or later, it would be one of the worst trades in NHL history. Marner is under rated now because he had a few bad playoffs in a row (people ignore him vs the Bruins a few years back) and because of his caphit. He is absolutely a top 5 winger in the league.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Because you are ignoring that he is 23 and already basically best case scenario for any pick after 5, and really even the top end of the draft is no guarantee. It's not like he is some mooch, he's lead the team in points the past few seasons. He's absolutely a top end winger in the league.

People said the same things leading into McDavid draft. Guess what? Eichel isn't any better than Marner tbh, and 3rd OA was Dylan Strome. 5th OA was Hanifin. The only player who can arguably be said to be better in the top 10 outside of McDavid are Eichel and Rantanen who went 9th.

It's 100% HF to take the mystery box. Sure, I COULD take a forward entering their prime who has lead their team in points almost since they came into the league, has multiple 90+ point seasons in a row + a 100 point pace one... But this draft pick MIGHT do that too! And this one is some magical player with no flaws who will take a discount.

If that pick was 5th OA or later, it would be one of the worst trades in NHL history. Marner is under rated now because he had a few bad playoffs in a row (people ignore him vs the Bruins a few years back) and because of his caphit. He is absolutely a top 5 winger in the league.

Marner is a winger who is a under performer in the playoffs with a expensive contract (mostly signing bonus) that last for 4 season then he is a UFA to be (very good chance he will want to test free agency) and Ducks aren't a contender during his current contract so not interested in him. Ducks are not the kind of team that should be trading for Marner. Ducks should continue building through the draft. It doesn't matter that Marner is young (24 year old right now not 23) and is a high producing winger that was a 4th overall pick.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
This is so f***ing bad for Anaheim...
Wrong.

Marner is an 100 point calibre winger. He’s far and away the best and most valuable player in this deal. Coming from a Habs fan, he’s an elite winger.

Rielly and Lindholm are close in value. Essentially a wash.

Marner > Pending UFA Rakell + 1st.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Wrong.

Marner is an 100 point calibre winger. He’s far and away the best and most valuable player in this deal. Coming from a Habs fan, he’s an elite winger.

Rielly and Lindholm are close in value. Essentially a wash.

Marner > Pending UFA Rakell + 1st.

That 1st could potentially be 1st overall and value in a vacuum vs. for the Ducks are different.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Marner, Rielly, Zegras, John Gibson, Drysdale, Comtois, Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Fowler, Manson, etc. That’s not a 1st overall pick team.

Ducks 2020-2021 season.png

2nd worst record and fewest goals scored last season. Marner and Rielly aren't going to take us out of draft lottery and Rielly would be traded by deadline if he doesn't sign a new contract. Not interested in trading a unprotected 1st for Eichel and also not for Marner.

Ducks should not be even considering trading away unprotected 1st in a trade. They need to stay the course and build through the draft.

Reactions: Kalv

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
View attachment 465158

2nd worst record and fewest goals scored last season. Marner and Rielly aren't going to take us out of draft lottery and Rielly would be traded by deadline if he doesn't sign a new contract. Not interested in trading a unprotected 1st for Eichel and also not for Marner.

Ducks should not be even considering trading away unprotected 1st in a trade. They need to stay the course and build through the draft.
I agree you guys shouldn’t trade your unprotected 1st.

I think the package is bad value for Marner and Rielly though.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I agree you guys shouldn’t trade your unprotected 1st.

I think the package is bad value for Marner and Rielly though.
Agreed, both ways. I love Marner but the timing is just bad. If this was hypothetically next year where the Ducks had another good young player from the 22 draft and looking to come out of a rebuild and if Marner magically didnt age, this would be a very interesting deal for the Ducks.

Reactions: Kalv

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Agreed, both ways. I love Marner but the timing is just bad. If this was hypothetically next year where the Ducks had another good young player from the 22 draft and looking to come out of a rebuild and if Marner magically didnt age, this would be a very interesting deal for the Ducks.
Keeping in mind Marner is only 24. He’s not some 31 year old. He has a lots of time left being a top winger.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

how do you write a bunch of stuff arguing against things I never said while also not addressing my post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad