Proposal: Ducks - Leafs Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

There's an argument for Wright but he's also only played one season in the OHL. Amazing numbers but 3 seasons before his draft, it's no guarantee of anything (not that it's at all his fault he couldn't play last year, which sucks).

I've not seen anyone project Lambert or Savoie to be around Matthews' level.

Nevermind the fact that, best case scenario, a pick only has a 18.5% shot at 1st overall and going into the season, even a team that's expected to be bad isn't guaranteed last so it's something less than that.

So we're talking about trading Marner for a pick that has an 8.5%-18.5% chance (assuming we're confident the Ducks will be bottom five) to become Shane Wright, a player who has looked amazing but has yet to play beyond their rookie OHL season.
I am not saying Toronto should do this trade, I don't think they should. I am simply justifying why Anaheim probably wouldn't either. Marner and his current contract length don't really fit the Ducks window and I think it makes way more sense for them to take the risk at the future superstar.

As for Wright, yes he hasn't played a full OHL season in a year but it should be noted that he was far and above the best player at the U18 tournament earlier this year where he once again put up better numbers than McDavid despite having his development paused due to covid.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Lindholm & Reilly seem like wash maybe a slight add from Toronto i dunno

But Marner is worth alot more than Rakell and high 1st round pick even with Marners playoff struggles.

And then leafs management have to the core players like Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, etc and be like a hey we traded Marner for lesser player and high draft. For a core thats need to win now i dont think you could sell that. And then you have to factor in that Rakell & Lindholm need to be resigned after this year

I maybe biased cuz im leaf fan but i dont think leafs touch this

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
As homerific as the OP is, this stupidity provides a greater laugh.

This guy has always been this way. It is laughable.

Marner is a top 5 scorer in the league. His playoff performance brings some baggage but he's still a top 5 guy in this league. He also is owed something like 6M per year over the rest of his contract which makes him much more affordable. Obviously this would be for a team that has a little wiggle space with the cap

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
how much are the leafs retraining there ? 100% maybe?
This is so f***ing bad for Anaheim...

They are absolutely a bottom 10 team next year if not bottom 5.

That pick alone is worth far more to the Ducks then a UFA in Rielly and an overpaid winger in Manrer. They have absolutely zero need given the current ongoing rebuild for either player and most certainly not at the cost of a Top 10 1st.

The fact Rakell and Lindholm are added is just absolutely awful for the Ducks.

Cause every team will trade their top2 prospect and a 1st rd pick for an overpaid winger who disapears in the playoffs, and a one way offensive d-man who's a future UFA looking to get paid ala Seth Jones right?

How is it possibly lost on you that Rielly is also a UFA if you’re applying the same designation to the Duck players in this proposal. Seriously. Wtf. Your counter is insane given that fact pattern.

that first is also a likely top 10 pick. Probably top 5 in an interesting 2022 draft at the top.

a more likely deal here is Marner for Drysdale, which is meant to give the Leafs a top pair potential player on ELC and reallocate cap space from winger to defense since your roster has too many salary cap eggs in the forward basket.

not sure why the Ducks do it. Clearly gives them a top line winger and PP weapon but not sure they’d want that given where they are in their rebuild (ground floor).

Lmao 2 blue chip prospects + a top 5 pick >>> 2 expensive playoff chokers

Can this season just start already!~!~!!!
Marner is an ELITE player, you don't get 1 of those for a pick, middle 6 player and a D man swap.
Zegras will never get 90 points, Drysdale may be a legit top pair or he may be a 3rd pair and the 1st pick is meh in that there will be no Matthews, Marner, Eichel level player available outside of the top 3

What would you pay for Kane?, Panarin, Kuch? As much as HF likes to say player A>>player B with Marner you are getting a similar level player.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
A rebuilding team has no business trading what will surely be a top 5 pick AND two top UFA assets that will bring in very, very good returns for Marner and one very good tradeable asset.

Aside from that, Anaheim has always had an internal cap, and adding an $11 million dollar winger will be a big problem negotiating comparably valued contracts with their younger, better players whose deals are up in a couple of years. There is a lot more to building a team than having good players.

Downgrading your asset list while potentially hurting your pay scales is not something a rebuilding team can afford to do. Easy, easy no from Anaheim.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
A rebuilding team has no business trading what will surely be a top 5 pick AND two top UFA assets that will bring in very, very good returns for Marner and one very good tradeable asset.

Aside from that, Anaheim has always had an internal cap, and adding an $11 million dollar winger will be a big problem negotiating comparably valued contracts with their younger, better players whose deals are up in a couple of years. There is a lot more to building a team than having good players.

Downgrading your asset list while potentially hurting your pay scales is not something a rebuilding team can afford to do. Easy, easy no from Anaheim.
I don't think the Ducks have any younger better players than Marner

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don't think the Ducks have any younger better players than Marner
See, that is why you don't trade a likely top 5 pick in what looks to be a very good draft.

Marner doesn't move their needle enough to justify risking a pick that could lead to a far better player, especially when they are years away from contending.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
See, that is why you don't trade a likely top 5 pick in what looks to be a very good draft.

Marner doesn't move their needle enough to justify risking a pick that could lead to a far better player, especially when they are years away from contending.
who in this draft outside of the top 3 looks to be on Marner's level? Marner's real level not some perceived HF level. Marner is almost a cap dump in some peoples opinion on here. The reality is he is IMO top 3 winger in the game

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Can this season just start already!~!~!!!
Marner is an ELITE player, you don't get 1 of those for a pick, middle 6 player and a D man swap.
Zegras will never get 90 points, Drysdale may be a legit top pair or he may be a 3rd pair and the 1st pick is meh in that there will be no Matthews, Marner, Eichel level player available outside of the top 3

What would you pay for Kane?, Panarin, Kuch? As much as HF likes to say player A>>player B with Marner you are getting a similar level player.
Until you get to the playoffs and he disapears right?

Kane doesn't
Kuch Doesn't
Panarin doesn't

Marner does. and @ 11M$, you may want to look for a player who won't

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anaheim is probably a bottom 3 team next year and the top 3 in the 2022 draft are all extremely likely to be better than Marner

The top three picks of that draft are "extremely likely" to be better than a 90 point player?

Based on what?

How many drafts do you think have players drafted 1-2-3 who are all better than 90 point players? And you're saying it's "extremely likely?"

Is this for real?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Have you seen how stacked the draft is? It's better than 2015
Uhh until proven otherwise this is completely false. 2015 could be the best draft of all time. The 2022 draft is looking deep, but a large handful of this draft hasn't played hockey in almost 20 months. The odds it produces as many stars as 2015 are probably not as high as you'd think

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks need to continue to build through the draft so no to trading away a unprotected 1st round pick. Lindholm needs to be re-signed because without him in lineup we have seen what happens. Hoping we re-sign Rakell which shouldn't cost too much.

Not interested in Marner and his expensive contract or Rielly who needs new contract soon.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Marner
Rielly

for

Lindholm
Rakell
2022 1st round pick (unprotected)

I do think Ducks would like to re-sign both their guys, as Toronto likely would Rielly. But, just a proposal for fun, anyhow.

For Anaheim:
- get a superstar young winger signed long-term to make part of their core.
- get a more offensive-minded D with a booming shot for their powerplay

For Toronto:
- Marner to Rakell is certainly a downgrade, but, I feel Rakell in a contract year, new team who is competing now and superstar centres can easily return to a 30G player. There are significant savings here though, which Toronto can use to add additional scoring depth.
- Lindholm is a different kind of defender to Rielly and I feel gives the Leafs a better balance and playoff style.
- The unprotected pick could very easily be a top pick, securing the Leafs a top-tier youngster to extend their window with
There just is very very few trade scenarios were the leafs trade marner there isn't more than 4 or 5 players in the entire NHL thay would get a trade talk going for marner. Packages rarely work out. Even if value is OK these things don't happen for a reason.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

A far better player?? who we talking about here?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Marner might be overpaid but your out to lunch saying he's not worth a 1st to the Ducks. He's young already has a 90 point season and has shown 2 years in a row he can elevate his centre's game. Adding a guy like him helps the young core now and he's young enough to grow with them.

If Anaheim was trying to make the playoffs, sure it's a great trade for them.

But they aren't. Folks in this thread are kidding themselves if they think, given where they are at in a rebuild, that Anaheim would have any interest at all in trading a likely Top 5 pick(In one of the deepest drafts since McDavid/Eichel don't forget), for an overpaid winger in Marner.

Rielly/Lindholm is a wash. It comes down to an unprotected 1st + Rakell for Marner. Anaheim is absolutely without question going to value that first far more then they would Marner.

In the past few years we have twice now seen teams make huge, huge mistakes making these exact type of deals. Ottawa trading for Duchene and ultimately giving up a 4th overall pick(And what was an 18.5% chance at 1st overall as well). And then not even a full year later San Jose makes the same mistake and end up trading the 2nd overall pick for Erik Karlsson. Anaheim is not about to make that same mistake and trade a Top 5 pick for Marner.

A big part people are forgetting here is team control and cap structure. Marner only has 4 years left until he is a UFA. The pick will come in with a 3 year ELC, and then an RFA with complete team control to be signed to a contract that fits the Ducks cap structure and rebuild timeline significantly better then what Marner would.

For the record I never said this is a good deal for Toronto either. They're in a cup contending window right now and are trading a good(Though clearly overrated by this thread) player for a complete lotto ticket. It doesn't make sense for them to make this deal either. But it makes even less sense for the Ducks.

It's an awful proposal all around and both sides say no because both sides value their own pieces significantly more than the other team.

Reactions: Rec T

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Marner
Rielly

for

Lindholm
Rakell
2022 1st round pick (unprotected)

I do think Ducks would like to re-sign both their guys, as Toronto likely would Rielly. But, just a proposal for fun, anyhow.

For Anaheim:
- get a superstar young winger signed long-term to make part of their core.
- get a more offensive-minded D with a booming shot for their powerplay

For Toronto:
- Marner to Rakell is certainly a downgrade, but, I feel Rakell in a contract year, new team who is competing now and superstar centres can easily return to a 30G player. There are significant savings here though, which Toronto can use to add additional scoring depth.
- Lindholm is a different kind of defender to Rielly and I feel gives the Leafs a better balance and playoff style.
- The unprotected pick could very easily be a top pick, securing the Leafs a top-tier youngster to extend their window with
And it would be a kind of coming-back-home for Rakell.

In 2011, the Leafs traded picks 30 (Rakell) and 39 (John Gibson) for pick 22 (Tyler Biggs).

Who knows who the Leafs would have used picks 30 and 39 on, but what could have been !!!

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is so f***ing bad for Anaheim...

They are absolutely a bottom 10 team next year if not bottom 5.

That pick alone is worth far more to the Ducks then a UFA in Rielly and an overpaid winger in Manrer. They have absolutely zero need given the current ongoing rebuild for either player and most certainly not at the cost of a Top 10 1st.

The fact Rakell and Lindholm are added is just absolutely awful for the Ducks.
What are the chances that pick is better then Marner people underate marner so much because he hasn’t crossed that 100 point threshold yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What are the chances that pick is better then Marner people underate marner so much because he hasn’t crossed that 100 point threshold yet.

In this year's draft? A lot higher then you think.

Given how bad Anaheim projects to be, and given where they are in a rebuild it is EASILY better for them to take that gamble, hang onto the pick and potentially get a McDavid or Matthews level of a Center out of this draft.

Wright is obviously the true prize but even if they don't get the #1 pick this year's Top 5 is utterly stacked still. Between Savoie, Lambert, Nemec on Defense... the top of this draft is ridiculous and Anaheim is absolutely a prime suspect to be picking inside the Top 5 next year. They draft one of those guys and then have full team control for at least 7 years, with a 3 year ELC. Versus getting Manrer already at 10.5M and being a UFA in 4 years. Anaheim contention window is likely not even fully opened in 4 years time.

Plus, Rakell and Lindholm both will fetch 1st round picks and more at the trade deadline this year as well if they want to go that route.

For the Ducks it's a super easy decision. That pick is worth way too much to them. And trading Rakell and Lindholm separately at the deadline as rentals gets them far more useful pieces for what they are trying to do right now.

Reactions: duckpuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad