Post-Game Talk: Duck Tenders

3 Stars

• Total voters

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Kreider is one of if not the best contracts on this team and people want to ship him out to give kids that can't beat out players not even close to his talent level a chance. Great job in making this team worse. Ridiculous

If we could somehow liquidate Mika and Kreider into the assets for a young 1C we would have the cap space and we would basically be golden… with Perrault and Othmann and Berard on the way.
Teams do not trade young 1Cs. Would you trade Perreault for a veteran in his 30s? Nope

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
I shit on his soft goals in the playoffs all the time but Igor has been a better goalie in the playoffs in a more offensive league than Hank, who had way too many stinkers. The stat that Igor hasn't allowed more than 3 in 30 straight playoff games is the epitome of his game in the playoffs. To date he's had one or two games in his entire playoff career where he's been run out of the building. Hank had at least one a series in most series he's played.
Yea… I agree Shesty has been very good in the playoffs. I just don’t remember any “lights out” games like Hank used to have. Hank in game 7s alone was amazing… seems like we won those 1-0 or 2-1 with 60 saves every time.

Yea… I agree Shesty has been very good in the playoffs. I just don’t remember any “lights out” games like Hank used to have. Hank in game 7s alone was amazing… seems like we won those 1-0 or 2-1 with 60 saves every time.
This, snd he had one amazing season (Vezina) but was wildly inconsistent for most of the year last year. He was downright bad for the first half.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

This, snd he had one amazing season (Vezina) but was wildly inconsistent for most of the year last year. He was downright bad for the first half.
Go rewatch the Carolina series. OT, double OT. 47, 57 shots something like that. Only time Hank ever had 50+ saves in a playoff game, they lost. He was 4-6 in games with 40+ saves. Shesty's 3-2 with 40+ saves

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Shesty is a better playoff goalie than Hank was.

Anyone who doesn’t think that he’s stolen them a series wasn’t watching in 2022 when he stole them 2. They housed the Caps last year and I think they were better than Carolina in their series when you look at it on the hole but he stole game 3 and was the better goalie in game 2 when both guys were good.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Hank had to play a lot more of those game 7 games than many goalies because his team didn't score that much but he also tended to shit the bed 1 or 2 times per series.

Hank DID have more lights out games. Igor has yet to have a shutout in the playoffs. I think that's in part just being one of those things that's an Igor weakness and also a product of a higher scoring league.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I swear there was one shift in the first period where Mika had 5 touches and he flubbed the play or pass every time. I don't think his linemates were the problem. They were more like the victims.

Dostal got into their heads a bit and our players seemed to be fine tuning and missing on a lot of their shots in the second period particularly. This where Cuylle driving the net helped us a lot. Got to go for the dirty goal instead of the pretty one. Chytil, Kakko, Cuylle were our best line. Chytil's defensive play has been outstanding.
Panarin too fwiw. He’s defending all the way to the goal line. On top of the world class offense. What a great great great signing.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I swear there was one shift in the first period where Mika had 5 touches and he flubbed the play or pass every time. I don't think his linemates were the problem. They were more like the victims.
Maybe it's just as simple as...
vaughn-glasses-crossed-arms.gif

Not sure what to make of this nickname

Don't worry about it. Just take a seat there over in the corner and watch while they take care of business...

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I generally agree about staying positive, and if this game were an outlier for Zib, I'd 100% agree with you, but...there's a LONGSTANDING problem with Zibanejad.

Some food for thought. Going back to the playoffs, over the last 18 games (including tonight), Zibanejad has been spoon-fed nearly an hour of powerplay time (57:09 to be precise). In that hour of powerplay time? He has ONE assist. That's it. That's a pace for what, 6 or 7 powerplay points over a full season? While getting choice minutes with some amazing players? That's just not good enough.

Frankly, Kreider has been something of a problem on the PP unit as well (2 goals over the last 18 games). For as much as Lavi likes to say the PP1 unit has been succeeding, what he really means is that Bread (3G, 4A in the last 18 games) and Trocheck (2G, 4A in the last 18) have been succeeding.

On top of that, it's not even like Zib is on the top unit because he's a center. Trocheck takes the draws on PP1.

Zib is supposed to be balls on the defensive side of the puck as well. Well...no points again for him tonight, but he was on the ice for the ONE goal against--a goal where he made a dainty stick check on his man (the puck carrier) and then circled off to let someone else take care of him.

All of this is on top of the fact that Zib carries himself like he just doesn't give a shit. The whining to the refs all the time, the lazy plays on the ice. He has the talent. We've all seen it. He has the talent to be a top 10 center in this league. But he just doesn't seem to have the desire.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm very happy that the team won. But they won a lot last year while ignoring the glaring issues with the roster, and how did that pan out for them? Mediocre teams are content to win. Championship teams fix what's broken. And right now? The supposed 1C is, and has been for a good long while, looking pretty broken.
Those are great stats and I didn’t expect it to be that clear cut. There is one thing that is absolutely certain and it’s that Mika should never play the half wall on the PP again. Hiroshima and Nagasaki that and never go back.

It’s time to start integrating other players who are actually playing well and see what we have. Kakko/Lafreniere have skillsets that make them great options to TRY on PP1 and see how it looks. This is my emotional eye test take but I just feel like everything NYR do is so difficult even when it works. Almost everything hinges on Kreider making some insane deflection. On the other hand Vegas is absolutely destroying teams with a pretty traditional setup right now where they’re constantly sending the puck down low to Mark Stone and having him make reads and passes from there. Depending on which side of the ice the puck is on, sometimes Hertl switches to goal line and Stone fills the bumper spot to keep the handedness optimal.

No reason NYR can’t do something like this with Laf/Kakko who can make this pass especially Lafreniere. I think that at least one of Mika/Kreider needs to go from PP1 because you just get absolutely zero shot creation from either of them. Can’t keep expecting Fox/Panarin to be superhuman. Sorry for this long word salad but I get hype at the idea of watching a power play without Mika Zibanejad composing 1/3 of the umbrella

Last edited:
Reactions: smoneil

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Geesh.....imagine Kreider and Mika under Keenan ? That would be hilarious....we would have about 15 million available in cap to work with .
Kreider would be even better imo and become more of a leader...then again maybe the opposite 😆

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad