Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Im convinced Bergevin wont trade Sergachev for Duchene, but I think the Habs are still in a very good position to make a pretty competitive offer to Sakic..

Lets say Gallagher + Juulsen + Scherbak and a 1st, thats still a pretty good package for a rebuilding team, alot of quality young assets..

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It would be interesting and surprising if he goes for quantity over quality, especially for a player of Duchene's calibre. We've seen it been done with Kessel though...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Im convinced Bergevin wont trade Sergachev for Duchene, but I think the Habs are still in a very good position to make a pretty competitive offer to Sakic..

Lets say Gallagher + Juulsen + Scherbak and a 1st, thats still a pretty good package for a rebuilding team, alot of quality young assets..

They really are not.

Gallagher is nice but does not fill a need and the rest of the package is not good enough.

The Avs need high quality Ds as the centerpiece of any deal.

You are not offering that. Juulsen is not a difference maker for the Avs with Barrie / EJ already on the roster on the right side and Meloche in the system as well as Bigras probably getting called up soon.

He is not noticeably better than any of those 5 guys right now (and does not have more potential either) so it does not make any sense for the Avs to have him be the centerpiece D in return.

It is Sergachev++ or no deal.

Depends on MB if he wants to do it and go for a cup this year or not...

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
galchenyuk, duchene, radulov and pacioretty is a very formidable top 6 - with guys like gallagher, shaw etc...

but i don't think bergevin wants to give up sergachev...
he'd probably move beaulieu, juulsen some of habs high picks but not Serge

so there is probably no deal here

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
They really are not.

Gallagher is nice but does not fill a need and the rest of the package is not good enough.

The Avs need high quality Ds as the centerpiece of any deal.

You are not offering that. Juulsen is not a difference maker for the Avs with Barrie / EJ already on the roster on the right side and Meloche in the system as well as Bigras probably getting called up soon.

He is not noticeably better than any of those 5 guys right now (and does not have more potential either) so it does not make any sense for the Avs to have him be the centerpiece D in return.

It is Sergachev++ or no deal.

Depends on MB if he wants to do it and go for a cup this year or not...

The problem with the Av's has been the supporting cast around your star players and now the Av's want to trade of or even two of them (Landeskog). I think this is a huge mistake and maybe Duchene and Landeskog will not move until this summer because nothing' s rushing by the contract. Will see.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The problem with the Av's has been the supporting cast around your star players and now the Av's want to trade of or even two of them (Landeskog). I think this is a huge mistake and maybe Duchene and Landeskog will not move until this summer because nothing' s rushing by the contract. Will see.

Yeah our top guys IMO are the only bright spot on this team but it does not matter.
We won't fix our issues in one or probably even 2 offseasons. Too much went wrong over the last 2-3 years with out organisation. That fluke 2013-14 year as well as terrible management and coaching killed us.

Avs shouldn't move Landeskog unless we get a truely great package.

Duchene is different. He has been with the Avs since 2009 and has only made the playoffs twice without winning a round.

Now he has been rumored to be available for a great D (that does not seem to be out there) for a while.

This year clearly has taken a toll on everyone in Colorado. Duchene might be the guy affected the most. His interviews recently are heartbreaking. He clearly loves the Avs but it might be time.

He has 2 years left after this season. He will be 28 after his contract and there is a good chance that the Avs still won't go anywhere 2 years from now...

Avs have MacKinnon and Jost as well as potentially one of Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi to replace him.

If the offer is good enough (and only then) it might be best for all parties involved to just move on right now and start over.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Canadiens moving Sergachev now would be like the Flyers moving Provorov last year - it won't happen. Potential, cornerstone #1 defensemen who are 19 years old (and 6-3, 210) do not get moved today for a smallish, center in their mid-20s making a HUGE amount of money.

McCarron, Beaulieu, Juulsen, Scherbak, etc are all doable. Sergachev will not be traded. Not to mention, in order for the Canadiens to take on Duchene's salary, they would need to send a lot of salary out.

He actually only turns 19 at the end of June.

Yeah, he's a keeper, despite how much I like Duchene.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We'll see. Everytime a "name" is traded the fans insist "X, Y and Z" MUST come back in the deal and yet they NEVER do.

Kessel had more value than Duchene when he was traded and look what he got. Sakic is looking to shake up his underperforming team... He will not give Duchene away but he will also not get a future elite D like Sergachev either IMO.

I mean Avs fans pretty much called the ROR trade, even though everyone crapped on us for saying Zadorov+ would have to come back. Duchene has more value than ROR too.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Montreal fans seem to think the Avs are in a bind and have to move Duchene.

Avs realize Duchene has a ton of value and want him to win and know they aren't soon. They can capitalize on his value now. If a gm blows Sakic away with an offer, Duchene will be moved. Sakic has already said what he's looking for in return. From Montreal, that'd be Sergachev. Nothing less.

Big Bad Zad

Mar 31, 2016
I mean Avs fans pretty much called the ROR trade, even though everyone crapped on us for saying Zadorov+ would have to come back. Duchene has more value than ROR too.

Came to post this exactly.

If the Habs feel that Serg is too important and can't be traded for Duchene, that is completely fine. However don't expect the Avs to then settle for less.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
They want to move another D? Is Nashville trying to suck on defence now...

I think they asked what it would take but wouldnt move a D for Duchene so this goes nowhere imo

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A Johansen/Duchene combo down the middle would be a force. That said, Ekholm would have to be involved and with Josi out again with a concussion I doubt they move Ekholm. The Avs need D, any move involving Duchene will have a good young defender or two headed to Denver.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Who knows what will happen in the next four weeks . I must say though that as a long time habs fan and going thru what is now a 25 yr drought that i am confident bergevin will do what is right for this year and the future. I think he continually makes us better and i hope he gets a long term extension. Somehow he will end that drought. May take him a little while longer but as long as hes improving us every year will get there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If they trade a d-man (Eckholm or Ellis) as the key piece, they could protect more players because they wouldn't have to go 4F-4D in the expansion draft. Not saying that either team does that deal, but it would make sense IMO for the Preds to at least consider that.

EDIT: Never mind. I was under the impression that Arvidsson didn't have to be protected, but that's not the case, so he'll definitely be the 4th forward protected.

It's a consideration. Right now, if Poile were to protect all four top-4 defensemen and the top three forwards (Neal, Forsberg and Johansen), he would then have to decide between Smith, Wilson and Jarnkrok and likely lose one of the other two. Wilson probably won't be protected or selected (paid too much for too little production), so it comes down to Smith, the 20-goal scorer whose $4.25M cap hit is a little rich, and Jarnkrok, the 15-goal scorer with a mere $1.9M cap hit. I think that Poile would protect Jarnkrok. The question, then, is whether Poile would be OK losing Smith. In some ways, getting that $4.25M cap hit off the books would do him a favor. On the other hand, his 20 goals are valuable to a Preds team in need of scorers.

If Poile were to trade Ekholm or Ellis, then he could suddenly protect 7 forwards, instead of 4. That would allow protecting all three of Smith, Wilson and Jarnkrok and the forward that he gets in trade for Ekholm/Ellis. That could be tempting for Poile. At that point, all that he would have to worry about is losing a 4th-line plugger like Cody McLeod or Colton Sissons or defenseman Matt Irwin, all players that are easily replaceable in free agency.

Last edited:

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
Montreal fans seem to think the Avs are in a bind and have to move Duchene.

Avs realize Duchene has a ton of value and want him to win and know they aren't soon. They can capitalize on his value now. If a gm blows Sakic away with an offer, Duchene will be moved. Sakic has already said what he's looking for in return. From Montreal, that'd be Sergachev. Nothing less.
for a hundreth time, Habs are not moving Sergachev

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not sold on Duchene - no doubt he has value but I wouldn't trade Chucky for him, to me he's a 1st-2nd line tweener C

Looking at some of the asking prices I'd rather throw in some extras and go with something more earth shattering like Tavares or go for the next tier down and not drain our prospect pool

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Colorado should ask for Sergachev+ or no deal. Makes no sense to move Duchene for a bunch of mediocre players or prospects.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Habs fans probably don't like it but would Avs fans be ok with this ?

xGEX4Gk.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

wYhGuVT.jpg

Then again, Sergachev really is a important piece for the Habs future. Weber ain't getting any younger and Markov don't have too many years left. It would be huge if Sergachev turned into a monster d-man for them, then again prospects are never a sure thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad