Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Does Dubas have the balls to make the right moves and not get bullied by the old dawgs?
Do we have the patience to figure that out because on this board, any move he makes will have its supporters and detractors. The supports will say good move while the detractors will say he got bullied. I mean we already have people saying he is too young, he might get bullied, Hunter and Lou are gone. Some misogynistic posters even wonder if he has balls like it would affect his decision making.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It is interesting that Dubas would inherit the team that has no cap issues; UFA salaries, buyouts off the books; and RFA negotiations set to happen.

Its his team now and he has inherited a very good situation
I originally wanted Lou to stick around for at least one more year, because this is a huge off-season for us and I felt comfortable having someone of his stature at the helm through such an important process. But as I thought about it, it made more and more sense that the person who's going to be steering the ship for the long-term, rather than just the short-term, should really be the one to make those decisions. And the more I thought about that, the more excited I got about this move.

No one knows how our future's going to go with Dubas in charge (no one would know how it was going to go with anyone else in charge, either) but I'm as excited as I ever have been to continue watching this team develop under Shanahan's guidance.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Do we have the patience to figure that out because on this board, any move he makes will have its supporters and detractors. The supports will say good move while the detractors will say he got bullied. I mean we already have people saying he is too young, he might get bullied, Hunter and Lou are gone. Some misogynistic posters even wonder if he has balls like it would affect his decision making.
Preach.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As others have mentioned, it’ll be very interesting to see if the Leafs approach at the draft changes.

Ive been underwhelmed by the past two draft cycles beyond the first round where the Leafs seemed to take a lot of bigger yet low ceiling type players. Perhaps there will be a return to the ‘2015 draft when it was just Hunter and Dubas running the show and the Leafs ended up going more for high end skill.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Geez it seems like it was only yesterday a large number of people on this biard wanted to kill Cope for kicking Burke to the curb and now he can't make mistake .

Also Dubas was hired on Shanny's recommendation to the owners.
i have no idea what your point is, 1st time gms can come in and succeed and they can also fail, just like veteran GMs with good track records. each situation is different..i will trust management over some dude on a forum who is making up nonsense about people calling him LL or a hall of famer.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i have no idea what your point is, 1st time gms can come in and succeed and they can also fail, just like veteran GMs with good track records. each situation is different..i will trust management over some dude on a forum who is making up nonsense about people calling him LL or a hall of famer.
That was exactly my point and I wasn't the poster who started comparing Dubas' hiring to LL's so I have idea what issue your having with my posts?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
That was exactly my point and I wasn't the poster who started comparing Dubas' hiring to LL's so I have idea what issue your having with my posts?
the point i was making is that 1st timers CAN come in and end up being LL, or david poile or stevie Y etc etc..hes defending the fact that certain people are shi^%ing on the hire because hes never won a championship blah blah blah by saying at one point NJ took a chance on a young GM with no experience, hes not "annointing" anyone anything. people are allowed to believe its a good hire and have confidence in his ability.

Reactions: PromisedLand

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Does Dubas have the balls to make the right moves and not get bullied by the old dawgs?

1. It’s been said by those that know him and see him work that he is energetic, influential, and not a push over.
2. It has been said by those inside the organisation, the old dogs themselves, that he has the respect of the experienced staff. Babcock said “he is a superstar” and “he is decades smarter than I am”

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
1. It’s been said by those that know him and see him work that he is energetic, influential, and not a push over.
2. It has been said by those inside the organisation, the old dogs themselves, that he has the respect of the experienced staff. Babcock said “he is a superstar” and “he is decades smarter than I am”
Just facts.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the point i was making is that 1st timers CAN come in and end up being LL, or david poile or stevie Y etc etc..hes defending the fact that certain people are shi^%ing on the hire because hes never won a championship blah blah blah by saying at one point NJ took a chance on a young GM with no experience, hes not "annointing" anyone anything. people are allowed to believe its a good hire and have confidence in his ability.
As I already said I agree that some times first timers may or not perform great and we're all entitled to our opinion irregardless of whether it not we liked who Shanny hired .

Also everyone's a 1st timer at one point so bringing up people who have succeeded or failed has absolutely no bearing on how Dubas' will perform so why bother bringing up a future HOFer ?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
As I already said I agree that some times first timers may or not perform great and we're all entitled to our opinion irregardless of whether it not we liked who Shanny hired .

Also everyone's a 1st timer at one point so bringing up people who have succeeded or failed has absolutely no bearing on how Dubas' will perform so why bother bringing up a future HOFer ?
because the poster he was responding to somebody who said dubas hadnt won anything ever. he was pointing out there was a time when lou hadnt won anything either and that he had taken over for an established gm. thats all it looked like to me.
i really dont see the big issue with anything he said, and im assuming he brought up lou as a way to tie the situation to our current one.

Last edited:

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

He just stated that Lou was a first time GM too when the NJD hired him, answering to some posters who didn't like the Dubas hiring because they wanted an experienced GM.

Then you came in with your inappropriate responses mentioning Stellick or that the poster had compared Dubas to HHoF-LL, which he never did.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As others have mentioned, it’ll be very interesting to see if the Leafs approach at the draft changes.

Ive been underwhelmed by the past two draft cycles beyond the first round where the Leafs seemed to take a lot of bigger yet low ceiling type players. Perhaps there will be a return to the ‘2015 draft when it was just Hunter and Dubas running the show and the Leafs ended up going more for high end skill.

Not sure it'll be much different this year but I sure hope over the next couple drafts it develops into something that is a lot more progressive.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are on the cusp of winning and as such I preferred the safer move, an experienced GM. Having said that, Shanny has not disappointed yet so I am not losing any sleep over the Dubas hiring.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We are on the cusp of winning and as such I preferred the safer move, an experienced GM. Having said that, Shanny has not disappointed yet so I am not losing any sleep over the Dubas hiring.
Dubas has the chance to make a name for himself now. If you want a long career you have to start somewhere. I'd rather this route than a Bergevin in Montreal or a Florida GM who lets a 30 + goal scorer walk for nothing. Or a GM that trades Turris + a 1st + for Duchene. Let's see what he's got.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas has the chance to make a name for himself now. If you want a long career you have to start somewhere. I'd rather this route than a Bergevin in Montreal or a Florida GM who lets a 30 + goal scorer walk for nothing. Or a GM that trades Turris + a 1st + for Duchene. Let's see what he's got.

Dubas can go either way. Bergevin did a Burkie and in fairness Molson forced him into the PK deal. The Panthers seriously blew it with their GM and coach. Dubas is well insulated here. Just don't do anything stupid and wait for Matthews, Marner and Nylander to develope into the players we believe they will be. Of course, signing Tavares on July 1st would give him lots of brownie points with Leaf nation ;)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If you guys don't like this situation then become Canes fans and follow "Experienced" Don Waddell .LOL
The Leafs were in the best situation of any team having to pick between 2 great candidates.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah I've had time to digest this and I don't like it. Too young, no high level hockey experience, I doubt he has any allegiance or buddies in high places on other teams and he looks like a hipster. What coach is going to want to take orders from him? What other GM is going to blink first in a stare down at trade deadline? If they wanted to go all-in on analytics, they could have bought a computer.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I think the bigger question is will he have the respect of the fan base and media?

It shouldn’t matter but it does in terms of longevity in the position.

If he’s making moves with “moneyball” in mind, the stats he will use will likely be proprietary and not publicly available. Performance, health metrics and other variables.

If he makes an unpopular move, he can’t provide his rationale.

And if it doesn’t immediately pay off, that’s a recipe for a roast.

He’s got a VERY tough set of circumstances

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah I've had time to digest this and I don't like it. Too young, no high level hockey experience, I doubt he has any allegiance or buddies in high places on other teams and he looks like a hipster. What coach is going to want to take orders from him? What other GM is going to blink first in a stare down at trade deadline? If they wanted to go all-in on analytics, they could have bought a computer.
I think it would be beneficial if you would do research on Dubas instead of just completely basing your judgement on the way he looks.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad