GDT: Dry January? How about Drai January! Oilers v Flyers - 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You have to think that Brown and Erne come out of the line up when Holloway and Gagner are back. Holloway slides in with Kane and Ryan, Gagner with Janmark and Hamblin.

I wonder if KK gives Holloway a twirl at C and Hamblin goes down as they will have to send 1 player down when Holloway comes off LTIR. Erne’s been effective in a 4th line role and has size. Browns been playing better since his healthy scratch too but he’s never going to score again is he?

Good problem to have.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if KK gives Holloway a twirl at C and Hamblin goes down as they will have to send 1 player down when Holloway comes off LTIR. Erne’s been effective in a 4th line role and has size. Browns been playing better since his healthy scratch too but he’s never going to score again is he?

Good problem to have.
Agreed, but it's Erne easily going down.

I think it will be a situation where Holloway has the center's role, but Ryan will take the faceoffs.

Think it depends on who we are playing. Can see Erne getting into a game like tonight even if those two were healthy.
Hahaha, that's cute. No, Erne is likely the first person heading down if they have to do that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Nice little breakdown on what is going right for McLeod and Skinner's numbers this year.

Kind of funny after I posted that piece from Yaremchuk saying his OHL friend said McLeod was a perimeter player in junior so why would he change in the NHL, that he did actually change lol.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You have to think that Brown and Erne come out of the line up when Holloway and Gagner are back. Holloway slides in with Kane and Ryan, Gagner with Janmark and Hamblin.

lol except for the one Ekholm started the year with. ;)
Salary aside, Brown is playing really well in a bottom 6 role now. But we usually overthink who will come out/stay in once someone comes back, as usually another player takes his place on the sideline with an injury. ;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Is it just me or is CC very underwhelming?
Like he just kinda... Exists on the back end.

I think Ceci is a bit under appreciated at this point.

He was really good 2 years ago. He had a rough year last year but there were rumours that he had lingering injuries last year.

I think he’s mostly been solid this year.

I think overall he defends pretty well. Pretty smart with good positioning.

He just doesn’t move the puck well and he can’t produce offense (or really make enough plays to keep the offense sustainable).

I don’t think hes as easy to upgrade as people think he is. Especially at his salary and with our cap problems.

It doesn’t help that just isn’t that many good RD in the league.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Flyers are one of the hardest working teams in the league and are punching way above their weight. They remind me a little bit of the late 90's Oilers in the handful of games I've watched of theirs this year.

Similar to the game we played them in October, if we match their work rate we'll win, if we don't we'll lose. IMO it really is that simple (assuming goaltending is equal).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think Ceci is a bit under appreciated at this point.

He was really good 2 years ago. He had a rough year last year but there were rumours that he had lingering injuries last year.

I think he’s mostly been solid this year.

I think overall he defends pretty well. Pretty smart with good positioning.

He just doesn’t move the puck well and he can’t produce offense (or really make enough plays to keep the offense sustainable).

I don’t think hes as easy to upgrade as people think he is. Especially at his salary and with our cap problems.

It doesn’t help that just isn’t that many good RD in the league.

I think Ceci's problem when people look at him is he's "decent" in most key defensive areas, but not great in any. He's definitely a net positive (in 21-22 and this year at least), but he always leaves you wanting more because there is no single attribute that he brings that makes you think that there's no reason to pursue an upgrade.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If you’re not cheering for Skinner, you’re cheering Against the Oilers.

We need him to have another big night. It’s obviously not automatic that he will so keep the good vibes going. I hope we hear some STUUUuuuuus and some Let’s Go Oilers chants tonight. Need to keep the mojo going. Hes a hometown boy so you know he is in tune with the vibes.

Theres definitely like 25% of the board rooting against him still which is a losers mentality for losers who belong on CP.

Lets. F N G O

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Brown finally has a stretch where he looks half decent and you think he should be a healthy scratch?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Maybe just flashes from Gagner's first game when he potted two, but thought him and Kane looked good together. Temporary 3rd line center? I also like the idea of getting Holloway center reps on the 4th line, just to see if it's a path worth travelling down further.

Kane - Gagner - Brown
Janmark - Holloway - Ryan

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Brown or Janmark will not come out due to their pk roles. Hamblin, then Erne are the most likely to be bumped from the lineup.
Brown has already sat despite his PK role, so I don't think that's as big a factor.

McLeod, Ryan, Nuge and Foegele are the big 4, the rest can be worked out.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Brown has already sat despite his PK role, so I don't think that's as big a factor.

McLeod, Ryan, Nuge and Foegele are the big 4, the rest can be worked out.
Brown has been used more than Foegele on the pk since Knoblauch took over. Janmark has as well. I’m fairly certain Hamblin or Erne will sit before Janmark or Brown.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Brown has been used more than Foegele on the pk since Knoblauch took over. Janmark has as well. I’m fairly certain Hamblin or Erne will sit before Janmark or Brown.
You don't have to worry about Erne, he's clearly easiest to come out.

I see what you're saying, but Hamblin is doing well as 4C, so there's no reason for him to come out if he succeeding in that role.

Gagner has scored and providing something from the 4th line, so I assume he gets back in. Holloway is good and can really skate, so I assume he gets back in.

That leaves Erne to Bako (which is no big deal), then it's a choice between Gagner, Brown and Janmark. Holloway will kill penalties, so I don't think the team cares as much about that roll with these players as some might think.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Nice little breakdown on what is going right for McLeod and Skinner's numbers this year.

Kind of funny after I posted that piece from Yaremchuk saying his OHL friend said McLeod was a perimeter player in junior so why would he change in the NHL, that he did actually change lol.
Critical to that success was a positional change from 3C to 2W. Less responsibility as a wing and his role shifted into using his speed to get in on the forecheck and along with Foegele to turn over pucks. He and Foegele have been incredible in this hot streak. Key for both is to sustain the heavy forecheck/hard area play and continue to crash the net. They both have the physical size and elite skating to be disrupters. The limitation has been the mental aspect to sustain this play in hard areas which gets rewarded with production results.

Another side benefit is that it's helping Draisaitl to play higher tempo and should help to get him more quality shots with less time engaging in board work fishing out pucks.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Thanks for the GDT @5 Mins 4 Ftg
IMG_9224.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It may not be popular, but with the current roster clicking as they are, I'm not completely opposed to Holloway being the one sent down with the understanding that it's only for a couple weeks (maybe to the All Star Break) to get him fully going and confident and possibly playing as a centre. Also gives the most cap room of the commonly discussed options.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Maybe just flashes from Gagner's first game when he potted two, but thought him and Kane looked good together. Temporary 3rd line center? I also like the idea of getting Holloway center reps on the 4th line, just to see if it's a path worth travelling down further.

Kane - Gagner - Brown
Janmark - Holloway - Ryan

Gagner at C scares the daylights out of me. He had major defensive issues covering the slot when he was 25 and slightly faster, can't imagine it would be much better today.

IMO being a strong skater is a borderline requirement to play C on any line in the NHL currently.

Reactions: La Bamba

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is it just me or is CC very underwhelming?
Like he just kinda... Exists on the back end.
As long as he is eating minutes and not causing issues while doing it, underwhelming is fine when Nurse is producing for that pair. We could stand an upgrade on Ceci of course, but underwhelming is a lot better than we were getting earlier in the year from a lot of guys.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Pretty sure once Holloway comes back we need to make a few moves to be cap compliant again. Not 100% on that but I think we were only able to go to a 22 man roster because of the Holloway injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad