GDT: Dry January? How about Drai January! Oilers v Flyers - 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pretty sure once Holloway comes back we need to make a few moves to be cap compliant again. Not 100% on that but I think we were only able to go to a 22 man roster because of the Holloway injury.
Holloway injury and the space from the Campbell demotion allowed the 22 man roster. Only one guy needs to go down.

Technically we are currently accrueing cap space as we are below the ACSL so he could be activated without demoting anyone, but I suspect they'll want Gleason back ASAP and to do that they'd need to send down someone.

Bringing up Broberg instead of Gleason would require a bit more creativity however.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Brown or Janmark will not come out due to their pk roles. Hamblin, then Erne are the most likely to be bumped from the lineup.
RNH-McD-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-McLovin
Kane-Holloway-Gagner
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Would be the most ideal lineup IMO. I know Ryan isn't best at C (although he is good at faceoffs) but McDrai can double shift with Janmark/Brown anyway. If necessary, I'd send Erne down to make it cap-compliant.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Gagner at C scares the daylights out of me. He had major defensive issues covering the slot when he was 25 and slightly faster, can't imagine it would be much better today.

IMO being a strong skater is a borderline requirement to play C on any line in the NHL currently.

He played some Top-6 center with the Jets last season, prior to double hip surgery lol. I'm not presenting it as a long term solution, but in terms of 3rd line centres options for Kane if the top 2 lines are intact, he's provided spurts of offense and not the worst option.

Reactions: gordonhught

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RNH-McD-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-McLovin
Kane-Holloway-Gagner
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Would be the most ideal lineup IMO. I know Ryan isn't best at C (although he is good at faceoffs) but McDrai can double shift with Janmark/Brown anyway. If necessary, I'd send Erne down to make it cap-compliant.
Personally, I'd be surprised if the Oil rolled out Holloway at 3C with virtually no time at the centreman position in the NHL.

Maybe ... maybe you roll Holloway at 4C to get some game time and confidence with the two way responsibilities of this position. Then over time assess further in a month or so (pre trade deadline) if there's an internal solution to 3C. This team needs to help Holloway find some consistency in his game and leverage his size, speed and puck hunting ability. All signs have pointed to this player at wing. Give him a base to first succeed.

This team still needs to assess McLeod. Is he a short-term fix at 2W or long-term? There's a solid chance he or both he and Foegele reset against as a third line duo.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He played some Top-6 center with the Jets last season, prior to double hip surgery lol. I'm not presenting it as a long term solution, but in terms of 3rd line centres options for Kane if the top 2 lines are intact, he's provided spurts of offense and not the worst option.
Gagner has great hockey sense and compete, but I am not sure he can skate well enough for centre. Even if it’s in limited minutes.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Happy New Year, I really hope Connor Brown scores tonight.

I think at this point he's waiting to score two vs. Toronto just to make Toronto explode.

Besides he's scored 6 goals in his career vs. Toronto, he hasn't score more than 6 against any other team. They are also the team he has scored the most goals per game played against.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's a new year. Connor brown hat trick incoming
2 goal, 11 points in 15 career games vs. Philly, so while I don't expect a hat trick he might hit the score sheet.

I do think he scores (possibly even a few) in the next 8 games as the opponents we're playing over the next 8 games he has 28 goals in 125 career games vs those teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZJuice

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Salary aside, Brown is playing really well in a bottom 6 role now. But we usually overthink who will come out/stay in once someone comes back, as usually another player takes his place on the sideline with an injury. ;)
Agreed, I'd keep Brown where he is and maybe he will start scoring a few. My guess is he scores 5 in his next 27 games.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Tortorella calls out Matheson lol

Funny I had the opposite impression. Torts showed respect for Matheson with a wink and a smile recognizing the guy's been around forever on the Oil beat while playfully commenting on his "off the wall questions". Gave a long and thoughtful answer about Muckler as a coach and also the influence he had as a mentor to a young assistant coach Torts. Relevant perspective on a legendary Oilers coach which I personally found interesting versus the non-answers to specific game strategy and current state of the Flyers which he deferred from with abrupt non-answers.

Nice to see the human side of a hard nose coach focused entirely on his task at hand.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I asked ChatGPT to make an Oilers lineup card.

First it gave me baseball Oilers...
1704237773797.png

So then i asked it to make an "Oilers hockey themed lineup card"...

1704237954830.png

What's with the dinosaur and crazy bunny?

Then it gave me this one....

1704238015836.png

It's smart enough to know we have a Viking on the team.

Then it gave me this one. It's probably my favorite...

1704238085318.png

Then it gave me this one that is hilarious but also disturbing...

1704238136297.png

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The Oilers already had Dry October so we can’t afford another dry spell in January.

View attachment 794234

Instead we need to wish for a Drai January, the month where Leon finally gets serious and starts to play his best hockey.

View attachment 794235

KK has McLoed playing the best hockey of his life on Leon’s left side and he has undeniable chemistry with Foegele, creating a deadly second line that is firing on all cylinders right now.

View attachment 794237

Of course Hyman RNH and McDavid look like they’re on a power play everytime they take to the ice and are unquestionably the leagues best line right now.

View attachment 794238

The bottom 6 are playing effective minutes and contributing with a strong forecheck and defensive game although Brown may never score again after his knee rebuild.

View attachment 794239

D is playing well too with Dr 9 Two Five earning it, and loving The Viking with The Bomb.

View attachment 794240

View attachment 794241

Skinner and Pickard making the saves they need to playing with confidence.

View attachment 794242

Flyers come into Edmonton losing 4 of their last 5 so Tortorella will be near a coronary and ready to blow. Love his pissed off press conferences.

So let’s hope we get a classic Torts presser because it means we kicked their ass.

Plus the GDT don’t lose….

————————————————————————-

:edmonton Confirmed Lines

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-Ryan-Janmark
Erne-Hamblin-Brown

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Desharnais

Skinner

————————————————————————-

:flyers Projected Lines

Tippet-Couturier-Koneckny
Foerster-Frost-Atkinson
Farabee-Poehling-Brink
Deslaurier-Laughton-Hathaway

York-Sanhiem
Seeler-Walker
Zamula-Ristolainen

Hart

————————————————————

GD Music - Phantom Of The Opera (Live) - Iron Maiden.
No reason other than it kicks ass just like the Oilers will.

————————————————————

Fearless Prediction - Not getting goalied by Hart this time.

Oilers 6 Flyers 2

————————————————————

Yet another classic GDT……..we are not worthy!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad