Post-Game Talk: Drouins big return ends up in a Habs loss against Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hard to get ghule out on the PP when we are constantly killing penalties, I thought Edmunsdson played his best game on the PK and in our zone since coming back from injury

Reactions: Rapala

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He wasn't appreciated here. There were posters on his case everyday. The game threads were bashing every shifts because he didn't scored. He was badly bashed in OT if he was on 3 vs 3. I was one of the rare to defend him. Me, Habs Halifax and few others. It was hard for me, I received tons of cheap shot comments. But I didn't care. I've been raised in the most toxic family the QC province has produced so these comments were nothing for me.

I was happy for Danault to leave the toxic Habs team. Owned by a stupid beer owner rich by his heritage. Managed by a stupid bully typical quebecois style who doesn't recognise the talent he have in his hands. And he reward Armia and Evans instead of Danault. He gave way too much to Price and Gallagher. He signed Hoffman and Dvorak. He did the Sergachev-Drouin trade. Signed Drou way too much money even if he hasn't showed he deserved that amount of money and term. He replaced Markov by Alzner, etc.

Danault is at the right place. He's in a team who drafted Kopitar, Doughty and Quick. It's a team who won two Stanley Cups. It's a city of high tech, intelligence, money, movies, television, beaches and high skilled people in every domains. Montreal to compare with is a place of losers. Sorry about Montreal but this city is on a decline. The province is falling because it's aging, it's taxes struggling, it's drugs problems, mental illness and a dark future.

I'm happy for Danault. Good for you Phil! Tu vas avoir du fun a LA, lâche pas! :yo:
I mean i liked danault but i was happy to see him go. Team is going in a new direction , Danault was not part of the future here.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A "winning culture" isn't a thing, teams that are build correctly around talented players win cups.

Name me a single properly built team with dominant players that has been stuck in mediocrity because they didn't have a "winning culture".

Right off the top of my head, Edmonton is a warning. Years of first overall picks and years of agony.

They have a couple players that you can't miss with, but they can't shake the mediocrity.

The issue is that some people assume its enough to just keep losing and build up talent to eventually win the cup. It's not as simple as that.

durojean

May 29, 2007
He shoulders a ton of the blame. His coaching staff can't seem to make in between period adjustments
I feel like you are not right.

Most of the time Habs have a better first than the other team.
Then the other team adjust after the first and Habs struggle in the 2nd.
Then Habs adjusts and have a decent thirds that most of the time let them win or at least make the game close.

What they miss is that they can't seem to see in advance what the other team will adjust for the 2nd period. They need to see it to adjust.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't really get the pining for Danault. He wanted to be a PP mainstay and he's not that good at it, and was never good at it here. He went to another team where he gets to play on the PP and has continued to be not that good at it. Overall though he's a great fit in LA and gives them exactly what they needed down the middle, I'm happy for him in LA and happy for all the positive memories of his time in Montreal. I'm still cheering for the guy and loved watching him in the playoffs last year, but I don't think it would have been the right move to keep him.

Yes, it would have been better to keep him than to sign Armia/Hoffman or do the whole Kotkaniemi offer sheet and trade for Dvorak, but the standard for whether a move is a good idea or not can not be "better than signing Armia and Hoffman". Danault is 29 and relies pretty heavily on his speed and physical strength to be as effective as he is defensively, this team isn't a playoff team with him and we'd still be years away no matter what. I just don't think it makes sense to keep him around until he's 33 and to lock in the 1-2C slots while entering a rebuild phase.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I mean i liked danault but i was happy to see him go. Team is going in a new direction , Danault was not part of the future here.
Team have one good line. Team needs to fill 3 other lines. Team have only 4 young good forwards, the rest is crap. The future of Ds, I can live with that. This team is missing a goalie, 8 forwards and 2 Ds.

This is your "new direction" as you say. Have fun without Danault. At least with Danault we had a pleasant player for interviews and he was able to provide a good line production and defensive checking line when it was needed. Now we lost that.

Once again, have fun without Danault and welcome to mediocrity for years and years and years. :D

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Team have one good line. Team needs to fill 3 other lines. Team have only 4 young good forwards, the rest is crap. The future of Ds, I can live with that. This team is missing a goalie, 8 forwards and 2 Ds.

This is your "new direction" as you say. Have fun without Danault. At least with Danault we had a pleasant player for interviews and he was able to provide a good line production and defensive checking line when it was needed. Now we lost that.

Once again, have fun without Danault and welcome to mediocrity for years and years and years. :D
Yeah no brother i don't miss danault im glad he's gone. Sorry but weve been through mediocrity for 20 years , losing danault is a huge nothing burger, like seriously its not a big deal whatsoever lol

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I feel like you are not right.

Most of the time Habs have a better first than the other team.
Then the other team adjust after the first and Habs struggle in the 2nd.
Then Habs adjusts and have a decent thirds that most of the time let them win or at least make the game close.

What they miss is that they can't seem to see in advance what the other team will adjust for the 2nd period. They need to see it to adjust.

Doesnt MTL have one of the worst second and third period goal differentials?

I remember recently, i think in Vancouver it was brought up

If this is true, then its more then just one period

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Right off the top of my head, Edmonton is a warning. Years of first overall picks and years of agony.

They have a couple players that you can't miss with, but they can't shake the mediocrity.

The issue is that some people assume its enough to just keep losing and build up talent to eventually win the cup. It's not as simple as that.
The Braintrust is the problem drafting superstars isn't. Joe Sakic is a perfect example of a superstar overcoming a losing culture he survived 8yrs with the Nordiques and the first 4 years were horrible. It is in the individuals you draft. If their DNA is right losing won't matter one bit. Edmonton never looked to build a team and Toronto has the exact same problem. You have to move redundant assets to fill holes/roles and both those teams have sucked at getting good returns.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He wasn't appreciated here. There were posters on his case everyday. The game threads were bashing every shifts because he didn't scored. He was badly bashed in OT if he was on 3 vs 3. I was one of the rare to defend him. Me, Habs Halifax and few others. It was hard for me, I received tons of cheap shot comments. But I didn't care. I've been raised in the most toxic family the QC province has produced so these comments were nothing for me.
But i'm not talking about how he was perceived with the fanbase, speaking purely how he was perceived by the organization.

I'd argue they valued no other player the last 4 years of his career, he played the most, had the best wingers, production or not.
I was happy for Danault to leave the toxic Habs team. Owned by a stupid beer owner rich by his heritage. Managed by a stupid bully typical quebecois style who doesn't recognise the talent he have in his hands. And he reward Armia and Evans instead of Danault. He gave way too much to Price and Gallagher. He signed Hoffman and Dvorak. He did the Sergachev-Drouin trade. Signed Drou way too much money even if he hasn't showed he deserved that amount of money and term. He replaced Markov by Alzner, etc.
I'm happy for him to have gotten paid and landed in a pretty sweet situation. I don't think re-signing with the Habs would have been a prudent decision. He walked as a UFA after several years of quality with the Habs.

That's a good outcome for him.
Danault is at the right place. He's in a team who drafted Kopitar, Doughty and Quick. It's a team who won two Stanley Cups. It's a city of high tech, intelligence, money, movies, television, beaches and high skilled people in every domains. Montreal to compare with is a place of losers. Sorry about Montreal but this city is on a decline. The province is falling because it's aging, it's taxes struggling, it's drugs problems, mental illness and a dark future.

I'm happy for Danault. Good for you Phil! Tu vas avoir du fun a LA, lâche pas! :yo:
Not going to speak on Montreal vs Los Angeles as a city lol but i'm also happy for him. He landed in the perfect situation.

I just disagree with the notion that he was mistreated or not respected in Montreal, at least not by the organization.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah no brother i don't miss danault im glad he's gone. Sorry but weve been through mediocrity for 20 years , losing danault is a huge nothing burger, like seriously its not a big deal whatsoever lol
If you're satisfied with mediocrity for the last 20 years it's okay for you bro. If you're ready for another 20 years of mediocity and it doesn't bother you then it's okay, as long as you expect it and be comfortable with.

I think every good player is a good addition, whatever when is the rebuilt mode. We never know. Take the Bruins for example, they don't accept or want mediocrity any time and any position of their roster. There is no rebuilt time or mode with them. They have the culture of excellence all the time. Take when the Blues won the Cup. They were the last team in january but they had enough good players to make a great come-back and win the Cup. Once again, we never know.

But what about we lose anyway with Danault but at least he is a pleasant player in interview in english and french. Medias and fans could/or should chill and appreciate him without all that bashing and undersetimating him for no reason. But hey, people don't want to change in Montreal, they want to keep the toxic culture, like in Toronto. Montreal is looking a lot like Toronto by the way. Toronto losers since 1967, Montreal losers since 1993. The pure breed french quebecois and the anglos are both very toxic. They are the same and intellectuals say they are two different cultures living together. I realise they have one thing in common : toxicity.

I hope you enjoy your Dvorak, Hoffman, Armia and Evans experience. Like Molson says you enyoy your hot-dog experience at Bell Center, lol. :sarcasm: :laugh: :laugh:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If you're satisfied with mediocrity for the last 20 years it's okay for you bro. If you're ready for another 20 years of mediocity and it doesn't bother you then it's okay, as long as you expect it and be comfortable with.

I think every good player is a good addition, whatever when is the rebuilt mode. We never know. Take the Bruins for example, they don't accept or want mediocrity any time and any position of their roster. There is no rebuilt time or mode with them. They have the culture of excellence all the time. Take when the Blues won the Cup. They were the last team in january but they had enough good players to make a great come-back and win the Cup. Once again, we never know.

But what about we lose anyway with Danault but at least he is a pleasant player in interwiew in english and french. Medias and fans could/or should chill and appreciate him without all that bashing and undersetimating him for no reason. But hey, people don't want to change in Montreal, they want to keep the toxic culture, like in Toronto. Montreal is looking a lot like Toronto by the way. Toronto losers since 1967, Montreal losers since 1993. The pure breed french quebecois and the anglos are both very toxic. They are the same and intellectuals say they are two different cultures living together. I realise they have one thing in common : toxicity.

I hope you enjoy your Dvorak, Hoffman, Armia and Evans experience. Like Molson says you enyoy your hot-dog experience in Bell Center, lol. :sarcasm: :laugh: :laugh:
I dont understand your point. Clearly we needed to rebuild and we are currently rebuilding.

And honnestly Danault was an awful interview, the only time he was interesting was when he ate a pizza.
It seems youre only interested in his *interviews* cuz he can speak french. And BTW Armia Evans Drouin and a bunch of our other shit players would still be on the team if we would have Danault.

I don't see the point you are trying to make , should we miss danault just because he's bilingual and a good interview? Makes no sense. We were mediocre with danault so i really dont understand the point you are trying to make. He's a great two way center and could be an important piece in a winning team but thats just it. We don't have a winning team , danault does not change that whatsoever lol we would still be out of the playoffs right now with danault.

Seems to me your just sad that nobody cares or misses Danault at all.

Then you tell me to enjoy my hot dog experience at the bell center, as if if danault was on the team its fine to pay 200$ tickets and 10$ hot dogs because Danault is a gars de chez nous? What you are saying makes no sense

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think it was something like 27th and 31st before last night game.
Outside of the pts % column the team is bottom 6-9 in many other areas. 26th in GF/G. 23rd in GA/G. 24th in goals differential (GF-GA), 28th in regulation wins, 30th in Shots/G, 26th in ShA/G, 32nd in PP%, 11th in PK%

I've not checked their PDO but i assume it must be high. Looking at their stats accross the board it should be a bottom 7-8 team.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I just disagree with the notion that he was mistreated or not respected in Montreal, at least not by the organization.
Danault or his agant said Bergevin never spoke with him the last season he played for us. Despite the fantastic PO run Danault had. No talk at all. If that's not arrogance or bad communication, tell me what it is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Danault or his agant said Bergevin never spoke with him the last season he played for us. Despite the fantastic PO run Danault had. No talk at all. If that's not arrogance or bad communication, tell me what it is.
Just means they had decided they weren't going to re-sign him.

I don't see the issue.

I wouldn't have re-signed him either.

They tried to sign him the offseason prior, Danault and his agent didn't like the offer.

The Habs shifted priorities.

That's business.

Jul 6, 2016
The Drouin's bashing is insane. The guy just coming back from an injury. And we all know he will be gone next Summer. Why kick a guy who is already down ?

Just means they had decided they weren't going to re-sign him.

I don't see the issue.

I wouldn't have re-signed him either.

They tried to sign him the offseason prior, Danault and his agent didn't like the offer.

The Habs shifted priorities.

That's business.
Danault clearly saw that the team would be weaker with Weber and Price gone, and Ducharme still behind the bench. No possibilities to develop his offensive tools without PP time. Money was not the only issue.

For me, you need components like Danault and Lehkonen to build a team. Too late !

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I dont understand your point. Clearly we needed to rebuild and we are currently rebuilding.

And honnestly Danault was an awful interview, the only time he was interesting was when he ate a pizza.
It seems youre only interested in his *interviews* cuz he can speak french. And BTW Armia Evans Drouin and a bunch of our other shit players would still be on the team if we would have Danault.

I don't see the point you are trying to make , should we miss danault just because he's bilingual and a good interview? Makes no sense. We were mediocre with danault so i really dont understand the point you are trying to make. He's a great two way center and could be an important piece in a winning team but thats just it. We don't have a winning team , danault does not change that whatsoever lol we would still be out of the playoffs right now with danault.

Seems to me your just sad that nobody cares or misses Danault at all.

Then you tell me to enjoy my hot dog experience at the bell center, as if if danault was on the team its fine to pay 200$ tickets and 10$ hot dogs because Danault is a gars de chez nous? What you are saying makes no sense
Ok, having Danault or not wouldn't change we suck. He's only one player. How much he would change that team to suck more. We suck whatever, period. One player by one player, a team gets better. Or one bad player by another one bad player, a team will drop.

But what about the culture a team is trying to built? What about the respect and the reward of X or Y player.
We don't resign Danault. But we resign Armia and Evans. It sends the message the Habs management doesn't care. The good "ti-gars de chez nous" who is doing his job fine, they don't care. I could care the same with a polonese, a greek, an italian or a western canadian. A good player is a good player and he deserves respect. This team under Bergevin, Timmins and Molson dropped a lot in my die-hard Habs fan heart. They were an huge deception, in many cases. Danault is only one of many many cases. I can say Markov if you want.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Ok, having Danault or not wouldn't change we suck. He's only one player. How much he would change that team to suck more. We suck whatever, period. One player by one player, a team gets better. Or one bad player by another one bad player, a team will drop.

But what about the culture a team is trying to built? What about the respect and the reward of X or Y player.
We don't resign Danault. But we resign Armia and Evans. It sends the message the Habs management doesn't care. The good "ti-gars de chez nous" who is doing his job fine, they don't care. I could care the same with a polonese, a greek, an italian or a western canadian. A good player is a good player and he deserves respect. This team under Bergevin, Timmins and Molson dropped a lot in my die-hard Habs fan heart. They were an huge deception, in many cases. Danault is only one of many many cases. I can say Markov if you want.
Yeah I liked Danault too I just think its ok in this situation since we are not going to make the playoffs and we are rebuilding with youth. Anyways I like your posts i did not mean to be hostile I just think with or without Danault we would still be bad and if anything not having him helps us rebuild by giving young players ice time and a higher draft pick.

I also understand the winning culture thing but Bergevin already ruined the culture especially when it comes to developing young players. Its something the organisation really needed to adress . A big reset was needed. Je comprend tres bien ton point mon ami c'est juste je pense pas c'est la fin du monde perdre Danault parceque l'equipe va seulement etre bonne dans 3-4 ans anyways

• Love
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last two games against the Flames and Sens were very physical and high tempo. Games are getting harder now. I'm expecting to see injuries pile up from across the NHL. More intensity, means more hitting, more battles, and more bumps and bruises.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Don’t really know why you guys arguing over Danault, if he stayed was with the habs he would’ve been traded last year or would be this year so they could rebuild…

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Braintrust is the problem drafting superstars isn't. Joe Sakic is a perfect example of a superstar overcoming a losing culture he survived 8yrs with the Nordiques and the first 4 years were horrible. It is in the individuals you draft. If their DNA is right losing won't matter one bit. Edmonton never looked to build a team and Toronto has the exact same problem. You have to move redundant assets to fill holes/roles and both those teams have sucked at getting good returns.

Thats essentially the point though. Drafting stars, finding other gems within the draft later on, and building a good support cast around those players are all going to factor in. It's not just about inheriting a young sensation in the draft and wiping your hands clean.

And even when you have those elements, it's still going to take a hefty amount of luck in the playoffs to win a championship.

There's other teams like San Jose who seemed to be run well for decades, but just couldn't get over the hump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad