TSN: Dreger: Detroit won't be swapping 1st, 2nd or a quality prospect for a rental

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Neither Price or Rinne have won the Vezina trophy, and up until yesterday's insane 7-6 game, Howard was 3rd in the league in GAA

Really not much point in even inviting the third Vezina finalist. That guy has as much chance as the 30th guy in the league garnering votes this year in terms of winning. I guess it is an honor and all but that sucker is a two horse race, not even sure who I would name the third finalist this year, despite the effort last night Jimmy is actually firmly in the running for that honor.

Maybe Halak or Holtby gets the call, I would probably go with Holtby to round it out, but if the NHL handed me a ballot I would only vote for those two (Price and Rinne) nobody else is on their level.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Saying that Myers was as bad as he was showing in Buffalo was silly and I certainly commented on how playing for a terrible team is going to take its toll on a player. But saying that the way a guy has played in the first 5 games with his new, competitive team when the adrenaline is pumping and the gratitude is boundless is just as silly.

I watched him yesterday in the Toronto game and his defensive play didn't impress me. Watch him in the Winnik goal:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20142015,2,875&lang=en

I know it's one play in one game and he's young, but he needs to work on his defensive play.

Personally I'me glad we didn't get him

Really not much point in even inviting the third Vezina finalist. That guy has as much chance as the 30th guy in the league garnering votes this year in terms of winning. I guess it is an honor and all but that sucker is a two horse race, not even sure who I would name the third finalist this year, despite the effort last night Jimmy is actually firmly in the running for that honor.

Maybe Halak or Holtby gets the call, I would probably go with Holtby to round it out, but if the NHL handed me a ballot I would only vote for those two (Price and Rinne) nobody else is on their level.

Fleurys name will be in the mix. I'm not saying Howard is as good as Rinne or Price, but he doesn't get the respect with how good he is and how he keeps us in most games.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And what comes to Yandle, he has league high 5-on-5 goals against number with 62 goals. And guy plays in a sheltered role against weak opponents. Justin Schultz and Justin Faulk come at second with 61.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And what comes to Yandle, he has league high 5-on-5 goals against number with 62 goals. And guy plays in a sheltered role against weak opponents. Justin Schultz and Justin Faulk come at second with 61.

He is very bad defensively, a lot of us have been saying that and this helps illustrate that. Interesting stat, I don't know that even I who routinely beat up Yandle for his defensive effort thought it would be that bad. I have said he yields more chances than he creates and this would be in keeping with that opinion.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

OEL has 59 ESGA and Arizona has 3 defenseman in the top 30 (plus Vermette) in GA overall.

Also not sure why people keep acting like Yandle is somehow a 3rd pairing defenseman at even strength when he gets the most ES TOI of all defenseman on his team and ranks 19th among all NHL defenseman in ESTOI.

I get the concern, but there's some pretty hyperbolic language being thrown around here that I think merits a bit more context than what has been given.

Don't really care though given that he apparently can't play the right side along with Kronner and Dekeyser.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He is very bad defensively, a lot of us have been saying that and this helps illustrate that. Interesting stat, I don't know that even I who routinely beat up Yandle for his defensive effort thought it would be that bad. I have said he yields more chances than he creates and this would be in keeping with that opinion.

These are a bit of hyperbole. He's not nearly as bad as what you're claiming. Yeah, I've seen get beat his share of times too. But we're also watching a team that slots Jonathan Ericsson and Brendan Smith in the nightly lineup. I'll take the chances on Yandle.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Also not sure why people keep acting like Yandle is somehow a 3rd pairing defenseman at even strength when he gets the most ES TOI of all defenseman on his team and ranks 19th among all NHL defenseman in ESTOI.

I get the concern, but there's some pretty hyperbolic language being thrown around here that I think merits a bit more context than what has been given.

It is less to do with his ice time and more to do with his O zone starts and weak competition every year he's been in the league. I'm not sure if he's a 3rd pairing D, but he's no more than a 2nd pairing D at ES at best. He also never PK's. Tippett doesn't trust him so I don't see anyway that Babcock would trust him either.

I'd rather have a more well rounded defenseman that can actually play in all situations and be relied upon against other teams top 6 forwards.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Seems like it's just a stat of who plays the most minutes on the worst teams....

We alm would take Faulk in a heartbeat without being critical of his defense.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Seems like it's just a stat of who plays the most minutes on the worst teams....

That was my thinking, too. How were Yandle's numbers when Phoenix was a playoff team?

Not that I think it matters much, ol' Kenny isn't showing any signs of going big this deadline. Unless it's deception, which he's not prone to, I think we're looking at a Petry deal at best.

I really, really wish the Capitols weren't like 5 games up in the wildcard spot. :cry:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We alm would take Faulk in a heartbeat without being critical of his defense.

Yandle doesn't play the most minutes on the worst team, and unlike Faulk he doesn't get the hardest minutes on his team. He also plays in a very defensive system. I don't really give him a pass, it is his ineptitude defensively that is by in large causing this issue for him in my opinion.

OEL does that for the Arizona Coyotes. In that regard it is a horrifying stat for Yandle, he is doing it most nights against a sheltered matchup with more offensive zone starts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yandle doesn't play the most minutes on the worst team, and unlike Faulk he doesn't get the hardest minutes on his team. He also plays in a very defensive system. I don't really give him a pass, it is his ineptitude defensively that is by in large causing this issue for him in my opinion.

OEL does that for the Arizona Coyotes. In that regard it is a horrifying stat for Yandle, he is doing it most nights against a sheltered matchup with more offensive zone starts.

But OEL doesn't play the most ES minutes on that team, Yandle does.

As I said, it's not much more than a reflection of who plays the most ES minutes on the worst teams.

As Bench mentioned, a much better measuring stick would be his numbers when they were a playoff team. And I bet they were significantly better.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

dosent he have and get the most ES ice time of any dman his team?

man, i cant believe when other teams play the Yotes they play their 3rd and 4th liners so much more then their top two lines, game after game.

lucky for yandle, other teams play their bottom lines so much to give him such easy matchups and really drive up his ice time

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As Bench mentioned, a much better measuring stick would be his numbers when they were a playoff team. And I bet they were significantly better.

Just a quick look at +/- shows before the last two years, Yandle had 4 straight years of being a plus player.

Surprise, the two minus years, Arizona failed to make the playoffs. In his 4 plus years, the Coyotes made the playoffs 3 of those times.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Couldn't agree more.

Yandle also had team-high goals against 5-on-5 values, when they were a playoff team at 2011-12. And again in a sheltered role, with mostly offensive zone minutes. At playoffs, he had second high values, after Klesla, who played in a more defensive role.

There is a reason why Team USA left Yandle out from their Olympic team. Because he sucks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He doesn't suck. He's one type of tool in your toolbox. He's not the Leatherman you can use in every situation.

And for my money he is 2nd best offensive defenseman behind Karlsson. When you consider what he produces with what forwards he gets year in and year out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
whether the yotes feel what i post on hf boards is sufficient enough to pry yandle away is beyond the point

IF yandle is traded it will be for the very same sort of pckg we have seen the last decade in the nhl(young cost controlled forward, good prospect, 1st rd pick)

if he isnt traded is solely because no team offered up that pckg. Keith Yandle will not establish a new bench mark for trades in the nhl

i hardly consider a former 30 goal scoring rt winger, a top prospect, a very good prospect and a 1st rd pick for evander kane( an imature locker room cancer who the players did not want around and who by all accounts quit on his team but yes potential great power forward) would be considered "spare parts."

the wings are not a yandle away from winning it all, i 100% agree.

but we do and have needed a yandle level player for the better part of the last half decade and untill such time as we find one and get one we wont be winning anything

I doubt it. It'll probably be based on the most recent trade with actual defensemen involved; Sabres / Jets.

Not sure of 'Yotes needs, but I'd imagine something involving: Kronwall + Larkin/Mantha + 1st

If they don't need a defenseman, probably add one of Tatar/Nyquist in the package.

That's equivalent to what Jets got for Bogo. I only included one of Larkin/Mantha and left out a Drew Stafford equivalent guy to make up for no Evader Kane not being involved.

So take your pick:

Tatar/Nyquist + Larkin/Mantha + 1st
Kronwall + Larkin/Mantha + 1st

That's what it's going to take to acquire Yandle... possibly more since now (as someone here said) Myers has 5 points his first 5 games. That probably makes Yotes think Yandle will have the same success once moved... meaning his price just gone up.

If Yandle can be had for the pieces you think he could be had for, he'd been gone a long, long time ago!

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I doubt it. It'll probably be based on the most recent trade with actual defensemen involved; Sabres / Jets.

Not sure of 'Yotes needs, but I'd imagine something involving: Kronwall + Larkin/Mantha + 1st

If they don't need a defenseman, probably add one of Tatar/Nyquist in the package.

That's equivalent to what Jets got for Bogo. I only included one of Larkin/Mantha and left out a Drew Stafford equivalent guy to make up for no Evader Kane not being involved.

So take your pick:

Tatar/Nyquist + Larkin/Mantha + 1st
Kronwall + Larkin/Mantha + 1st

That's what it's going to take to acquire Yandle... possibly more since now (as someone here said) Myers has 5 points his first 5 games. That probably makes Yotes think Yandle will have the same success once moved... meaning his price just gone up.

If Yandle can be had for the pieces you think he could be had for, he'd been gone a long, long time ago!

again the trade has repeatedly been broken down as myers for bogosian

if you take out kane then you take out stafford, lemieux, armia and the 1st

and then for myers vs yandle you make yandle 4 years younger and signed for longer

i think yandle will be moved for something along the lines of

-jurco/pulkinnen
-1st rd pick
-smith
-depth prospect

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
again the trade has repeatedly been broken down as myers for bogosian

if you take out kane then you take out stafford, lemieux, armia and the 1st

and then for myers vs yandle you make yandle 4 years younger and signed for longer

i think yandle will be moved for something along the lines of

-jurco/pulkinnen
-1st rd pick
-smith
-depth prospect

If this were the case then he'd already been long gone. I think you're totally out to lunch and gullible if you truly believe that.

Make that trade proposal on the trade forum and you'll get laughed off the internet.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
If this were the case then he'd already been long gone. I think you're totally out to lunch and gullible if you truly believe that.

Make that trade proposal on the trade forum and you'll get laughed off the internet.

...by Phoenix fans. Who, like Sabres fans, want the moon for their player only to be disappointed.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

I do agree that we have to pay more for Yandle.
But it won't be the first time when those trade proposals that were laughed off actually goes though.

In the end, most posters here have no idea how the deal will go down.
It only takes 1 GM to make a stupid trade.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
...by Phoenix fans. Who, like Sabres fans, want the moon for their player only to be disappointed.

What sane franchise would trade a young 60 point winger, a blue chip 1st round prospect, and another 1st round pick for a 28-year-old offensive defender?

There's a fair price between what Wings fans want and what Coyote fans want.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Wings aren't getting Yandle unless at least one of Sheahan or DeKeyser are going the other way. Stop trying to think they can pawn off Jurco or Smith for him.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Wings aren't getting Yandle unless at least one of Sheahan or DeKeyser are going the other way. Stop trying to pawn off Jurco or Smith for him.

I don't believe that to be true, Yandle's value isn't quite there to warrant that. If that's the price, no team will trade for him. I've said this a few times, the fans value for players is usually much more than what the player actually gets traded for. When Atlanta was shopping Hossa, they thought the Thrashers would get way more than what they actually got. Same for Joe Thornton, Kovalchuk etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad