Proposal: Draisaitl, Nurse

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Much as I wish he would, I don't think Draisaitl is going anywhere. I know I'll be opposite to most people on this, but I think Edmonton should deal Bouchard after this season. Don't deal Draisaitl, he can't be replaced. Bouchard can and likely for less money for a better all around player.

Reactions: wintersej

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
What about
Nurse
2x 1st unprotected
2x 2nd
2x 3rd
2x 4th
2x 5th
2x 6th

For future considerations? Still a non-starter?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What does 1 year of Draisaitl do for Utah? They almost certainly still miss the playoffs, by a lot too. Then, they’re stuck with 5 more years of Nurse after that. How does this help them in any way? From an ownership perspective, it’s just throwing money down the toilet with no upside.
The OP premise is just bad. Yes, Utah would be moronic to take Nurse contract to get Drai if he isn’t willing to extend there.

From our point of view if we even entertained a massive Draisaitl trade and diminished the value adding Nurse contract it would absolutely have to be a sign and trade deal so the acquisition clubs is guaranteed Draisaitl extended and only we could sign that 8th year

Theory here is acquiring team doesn’t have to wait for Draisaitl to hit the open market. Doesn’t have to compete with the UFA market for him. Could you imagine how potentially crazy those offers could get? Gets this year at that value 8.5m.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Let me start by saying I wish I thought of this before the draft. If you want to say “if it’s picks and not the selection they made” that works. In that same vein, you’d assume they have Geekie still as an offer. I’m just trying to get the gist of a Drai trade

if even the gist is acceptable if worked then what would need to change?

First: the assumption here is Edmonton tried to re sign Drai, and couldn’t get it done. They’re afraid he’ll leave, and teams assume this

Second: people exaggerate the “window closing.” Maybe. I think a youth reset if timed right could avoid catastrophe (losing Drai to free agency) for Edmonton and stay competitive medium term by spreading the spent cap through the roster on younger instead of Draisaitl, McDavid, Bouchard with raises + Nurse

Edmonton doesn’t just need cheap support, but ideally cheap because they’re young and growing not old and “only worth that”
———-
——————————————————-

Edmonton: Darnell Nurse w o retention (useful player, but imo a cap dump net negative) + Draisaitl

Utah: Sean Durzi (RFA puck moving defensemen, RH; last year he might have been top 4 on deep teams but he was thrust into the top pair and performaned admirably enough)

2-3 of Utahs cheap and or fairly paid young players not named Keller or Cooley (we’re assuming Utah is trying to take a step forward, you can take some of, but not literallt all their 3 best forwards)

Multiple high draft picks/ or now prospects who can be kept of flipped.

—————-
———————————

I debated making this “proposal” or value of, it’s my first real try on this board lol.

I think in terms of, like, you don’t always get exactly what the player is worth in these extreme trades. Would you accept a trade along these lines if the alternative is losing Drai in free agency
First of all Edmonton would need the high picks. Second of all the fan of other teams saying for 1 year of Draisaitl I am sure any team trading for Draisaitl would want an extension agreed to first.

As for Nurse being included It would let Edmonton ads some good pieces. This trade only works if Draisaitl refused to sign. Asumming it happen I could see the Oilers retaining 2 million on Nurse and asking for another piece like Keller

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If an extension is so massive that it means Edmonton can't afford it, it doesn't add value to another team.

I see so much of this.

"well, if *insert rental here* wants too much money that we can't afford him, we'll trade him and other teams will clearly add multiple 1sts to get this contract extension that we don't think he's worth"

Edmonton isn’t going to be the one walking away though. Only way Draisaitl isn’t signed is if Draisaitl doesn’t want to sign. It’s not a $$$ issue.

Oilers will absolutely pay Draisaitl more than Matthews got and not bat an eye. The options are soo much worse. Move Draisaitl for rental value or lose him for free. Somehow this situation is supposed to be a good selling point to trying to extend McDavid next year? I don’t think soo.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Utah gets Draisaitl AND keep both Keller and Cooley!?
Yeah, if Draisaitl is on the table, Utah doesn't get to come in with a list of assets that aren't available. Nope.

Plus, the Oilers are going all in this year. They aren't trading Draisaitl for a package even if they do get to move out Nurse.

And I doubt Nurse waives his NTC.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
What about something with Boston?

McAvoy
Coyle

for

Draisaitl (extended)
Nurse (~25% retained)

Tricky situation to navigate obviously, just spitballing

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
The list of teams that can acquire the Nurse contract with 0 retention and extend Drai is exactly Zero.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
In this fantasy wouldn't it be easier to cash in on Drai getting younger players and draft picks and then attach some of those newly acquired assets to Nurse to get rid of his contract? Why would they tank Drai's value by attaching Nurse to him? Make zero sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In this fantasy wouldn't it be easier to cash in on Drai getting younger players and draft picks and then attach some of those newly acquired assets to Nurse to get rid of his contract? Why would they tank Drai's value by attaching Nurse to him? Make zero sense.
This is all correct.

If, by some misfortune, Draisaitl decides he doesn't want to be here past next season, then we'd be looking for a retool on the fly type trade as management has already said that they don't plan to let him go for nothing if that's what it comes down to (it won't, but hypothetically)

Edmonton would also be idiots to trade him somewhere he doesn't want to be longterm so that would factor into things as well. Any team trading for him would be doing so assuming he'd be their 1C for the next 5-6 years.

The end years of his contract would be bad. Quick news flash: the end years of contracts for players signing big ticket deals at 30 are almost always bad. Teams signing them don't care about that. They care about winning Cups.

In that scenario Edmonton would be looking for a combination of young roster players and futures. Pairing him with Nurse to get junk back is a terrible strategy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The list of teams that can acquire the Nurse contract with 0 retention and extend Drai is exactly Zero.
While sending money back, sure. Nobody would be assuming that the team trading for them is absorbing their whole cap hit and sending nothing back, value wise.

A fair few Wild fans screamed loud and long about how Jared Spurgeon for Draisaitl straight up was a fair deal last summer, so I'm not expecting nuance from the Minny faithful.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
1720647646111.png

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
While sending money back, sure. Nobody would be assuming that the team trading for them is absorbing their whole cap hit and sending nothing back, value wise.

A fair few Wild fans screamed loud and long about how Jared Spurgeon for Draisaitl straight up was a fair deal last summer, so I'm not expecting nuance from the Minny faithful.

Nuance? Sending money back comes in 1 of 2 options - Volume of players or volume of salary. You're either taking a large contract back - or multiple mid size contracts. Any team trading for Drai and Nurse is trying to win now - they are in their window. They are not trading another cornerstone piece (typically a large contract) or gutting their middle six to send multiple mid range contracts back to you.

Again - The list of teams is exactly Zero.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nuance? Sending money back comes in 1 of 2 options - Volume of players or volume of salary. You're either taking a large contract back - or multiple mid size contracts. Any team trading for Drai and Nurse is trying to win now - they are in their window. They are not trading another cornerstone piece (typically a large contract) or gutting their middle six to send multiple mid range contracts back to you.

You gut your middle six like a goddamn salmon if it gets you Leon Draisaitl, my guy 😂 third liners are a dime a dozen.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Draisaitl being traded also means he’s not re-signing which is going to drop his value. The value of a player who isn’t going to re-sign and a players who has been deemed one of the worst contracts in the league isn’t going to return what people think it is.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s likely a bad idea to diminish Draisaitl’s trade value by including Nurse in the trade. It’s better to maximize Draisaitl’s trade value by trading him alone. Then, down the road, maybe the Oilers have the opportunity to trade Nurse for another bad contract but where the player might be a better fit with the Oilers.

Admittedly, the idea to swap Nurse for another bad contract is somewhat problematic in that most contracts like this have NMC/NTCs.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
The Draisaitl situation strikes me as crazy unique. I think Edmonton fans would expect an Eric Lindros type of return, but I don’t see it.

The debate here isn’t about whether Drai is one of the NHL’s best, but rather, who has the assets and cap space to make it happen. Personally I think he also comes with a bit of a “buyer beware” factor. He’s not McDavid, he’s not 25, and I just don’t buy the idea that he alone (with my newly gutted team) turns my franchise around. I think he’s put on some hard miles in Edmonton.

I think Edmonton would be best off to re-sign him and then find some stooge franchise to take Nurse.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Draisaitl being traded also means he’s not re-signing which is going to drop his value. The value of a player who isn’t going to re-sign and a players who has been deemed one of the worst contracts in the league isn’t going to return what people think it is.
Because no team is stupid enough to package Leon Draisaitl to dump a contract.

Especially not when said contract, retained even 25% quickly becomes a bog standard FA deal (probably better than half of what were signed a week ago).

And nobody on Earth is trading for Leon Draisaitl with a year to go on his contract as a rental nor would Edmonton be predisposed to do that either.

Because if they’re dealing him… they are expecting a ludicrous return. So, they wouldn’t be dealing him as a rental (unless it got to the TDL without any movement on a contract with them trying).

Reactions: capazzo

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
First trade proposal thread I've visited in a few years.
Looks like things haven't changed.
Just that it works in EA sports, doesn't mean that it makes sense in real life.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad