Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Would rnh work as a RW for McDanger?

Puck retrieval?

RNH is a natural 2 way center. I don't know why we would want to move him to the wing. I think if anyone moves to the wing it would be Draisaitl. Bigger body that can win battles in the corners.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
RNH is a natural 2 way center. I don't know why we would want to move him to the wing. I think if anyone moves to the wing it would be Draisaitl. Bigger body that can win battles in the corners.

I wouldn't that. I'd still let Leon take the faceoffs though because as a 19 year old he's already better in the dot than RNH and should be able to compete against the other big centers.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Don't really know what this has to do with the draft but no McDavid needs someone who can finish off plays better.

McDavid needs a Simon Gagne type on one side and a player like Maroon on the other. Too bad Eberle doesn't play with any grit or defensive awareness. Or else we'd already have the McDavid line set up for years to come.

Which is why so many of us are so high on Laine.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
McDavid needs a Simon Gagne type on one side and a player like Maroon on the other. Too bad Eberle doesn't play with any grit or defensive awareness. Or else we'd already have the McDavid line set up for years to come.

Which is why so many of us are so high on Laine.

Puljujarvi wouldnt really be that bad either.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Puljujarvi wouldnt really be that bad either.

True. Honestly I would rather see the first traded for fair value on a defender, but we will see what we see. If Eberle for Hamonic ends up happening then I am much more open to keeping the pick and signing a UFA vet forward on the short term.

Then Yak can be moved one for one with a more gritty winger.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The expansion scares me. At this point, I would just trade Ebs+ for Hamonic and hold onto RNH for another year. Probably trade him for a young cost-controlled, expansion protected player like Hanifin.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The expansion scares me. At this point, I would just trade Ebs+ for Hamonic and hold onto RNH for another year. Probably trade him for a young cost-controlled, expansion protected player like Hanifin.

Me too. We're at the point where we NEED 2 more top 4 Dmen, but are pretty much guarenteed to lose one the following season.

Thats why I'm thinking we hold onto our draft pick, and trade ebs/rnh/yak/etc for a top 4 Dman (Hamonic, Vatanen etc) and then either trade lesser assets for Chara or sign Campbell on a shorter term. That way we'd still have 4 top 4 Dmen, but wouldn't have to worry about which Dman to lose to expansion, as we wouldn't have given up any assets, and wouldn't have relied on Chara or Campbell for the future. They'd act as a nice buffer until the expansion draft is over.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Me too. We're at the point where we NEED 2 more top 4 Dmen, but are pretty much guarenteed to lose one the following season.

Thats why I'm thinking we hold onto our draft pick, and trade ebs/rnh/yak/etc for a top 4 Dman (Hamonic, Vatanen etc) and then either trade lesser assets for Chara or sign Campbell on a shorter term. That way we'd still have 4 top 4 Dmen, but wouldn't have to worry about which Dman to lose to expansion, as we wouldn't have given up any assets, and wouldn't have relied on Chara or Campbell for the future. They'd act as a nice buffer until the expansion draft is over.

Yes, the expansion draft is a worry.

That's why it seems more and more likely that we are big fish hunting for a true #1D, not a #2 like Hamonic.

If we get Hamonic plus another new guy, we'll need to consider protecting 4D (Sekera, Klef, Hamonic, other new guy) just to be competitive the following year. That means that we have only 4 forwards available for protection: Hall, Nuge, Drai, Ebs or Yak. Exposing: Pouliot, Maroon, Letestu, Kassian, and a whole lot of guys we shouldn't care about.

On the other hand, if we get a true #1, then we can protect 3D and not need to protect our 4th Dman (Nurse, Davidson or Reinhart are all exempt). It allows us to protect 7F, which means we can protect pretty much everyone (though we somehow have to get to that 25% cap floor... )

It's going to be interesting...

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
How are we almost guarenteed to lose one? there are 29 other teams with top 4 Dmen and Vegas can't have a team without some forwards.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Bribery is fine for expansion drafts though right? Like "we'll give you a 3rd round pick if you don't take a Dman from us" kinda thing. I'm sure it was done in the last one. Do whatever we gotta do. Or can it even go so far as bribing them to take certain players? Like "we will give you a pick if you take Fayne." This could open options for dumping contracts.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Would it be a stretch to say Puljujarvi is comparable as a RW Landeskog? Seems that way to me

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bribery is fine for expansion drafts though right? Like "we'll give you a 3rd round pick if you don't take a Dman from us" kinda thing. I'm sure it was done in the last one. Do whatever we gotta do.

Someone here said those will be banned now.

Imo the best we do is set aside a good top sixer for them to take. There will be tons of top 4d available elsewhere

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
How are we almost guarenteed to lose one? there are 29 other teams with top 4 Dmen and Vegas can't have a team without some forwards.

I suppose you're right, I just assume that if we were to get who we've been talking about (Vat + Hamonic) then we're going to leave a pretty good Dman exposed.

I think compared to other teams exposed Dmen, one of Klefbom, Hamonic, or Vat might look pretty damn nice for free, especially with klefbom and Hamonic being potential top pairing guys on sweetheart contracts.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Expansion draft is nothing to worry about. Its going to happen and every team will be affected. So in order to "win" we just have to lose less than other teams lose.

The way I see it is Sekera will most likely be the exposed D, and Pouliot is the best exposed forward. So either lose a 2nd pairing LHD signed at 5.5 who will be a bit older, or a good 2line winger signed at 4.5. Only 6 D are taken, is Sekera in top 6 for most appealing D available? Im not sold

I think Sekera could be replaced by Davidson or Reinhart in a year or 2.

Eithey way well be losing an asset that is likely replaceable, and losing less than other teams do

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Now back to draft talk...

Laine was fantastic today for those who didn't watch the game. He had a goal and 2 assists.

His goal was a partial breakaway that he just sniped top shelf. Effortless release.

His 1st assist involved him getting tripped but still getting the puck to his teammate who fired it home.

His 2nd assist was a beauty. On the PP, he fed a pin point pass across the OZ and through traffic. His teammate let off a one timer and scored.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd be happy with either Matthews or Laine, but statistically speaking we'll probably end up drafting at No. 4 or 5. We'll probably settle for one of the defensemen but that's good for us, too.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Would it be a stretch to say Puljujarvi is comparable as a RW Landeskog? Seems that way to me

i dont think the style is really comparable. Landeskog had 200+ hits his rookie season. Pull-ur-RV isnt that kind of a player.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'd be happy with either Matthews or Laine, but statistically speaking we'll probably end up drafting at No. 4 or 5. We'll probably settle for one of the defensemen but that's good for us, too.

stats shmats .. they can be molded into just about anything..
As per stats Oilers have a better shot of winning one of the 3 lotteries than drafting 4. :)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lol, not from the scouting reports I have read.

Puljujarvi is a non physical playmaking two way forward. It still scares me how uncanny his and MPS scouting reports are so identical.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Puljujarvi is a non physical playmaking two way forward. It still scares me how uncanny his and MPS scouting reports are so identical.

Puljujarvi has a lot better shot and is certainly not as soft as Paajarvi.
Having said that, he is no Landeskog.

RHS Pouliot who can fly.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Someone here said those will be banned now.

Imo the best we do is set aside a good top sixer for them to take. There will be tons of top 4d available elsewhere

i don't really know how they could potentially ban them though... you could make a trade that is somewhat one-sided and claim ignorance or a million other reasons.... one-sided trades happen all the time accidentally, lol

additionally, you could agree to a future trade that happened after the draft lottery where you also lose... how do you prove that a trade that happens in 10 months from now had anything to do with the draft lottery? i'm sure the NHL would like to police this, i just don't see how they do

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
In my latest post at the bluebulletreport.com I delve into the expected draft value of a forward selected in the top 90 overall. For the study, I look at forwards drafted between 1998 and 2010 and their likelihood of reaching 100 NHL games played and their likelihood of reaching 100 NHL games played while having a career average PPG of 0.50 or better.

These are the results of the study:

summaryexpectedvalueforwards.png

To read the full post and how these results came about, click here.

oilz89*

How do you guys feel about taking Sean Day in the 3rd round? Offensive potential seems decent. Left handed of course but big size and still developing. Has lots of potential

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Dubois is a much closer comparable to Landeskog, but he's more skilled and a bigger a-hole. Definitely the forward the Oilers should take outside of Matthews/Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad