Draft lottery date announced

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Stay in the top 4, and you are going to get a potential impact player.

Personally not too worried. Montreal needs a top D, a top 2 line center and a top line winger

You will get one of them

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why does the draft start on a Thursday? Terrible.

I think earlier in the season, Friedman mentioned this being a trial run to see if there's an uptick in TV ratings. It's not a permanent change....yet.

As others mentioned, Thursday would have a larger viewing audience and then there'd be additional coverage going into the Friday. I suppose it doesn't really matter, but when the draft was on Friday then some of the buzz would fizzle out going into the weekend.

And I vaguely recall there being some consideration to team officials wanting to be back home by the start of the weekend (ie families). As much as like to have a romantic notion that teams are wheeling and dealing late in the draft trying to find a hidden diamond, a good number of the people on the floor are ready to head to the airport.

When I went the 2019 Draft, I had to fly out a couple hours after it completed. I ended up at airport security among Colorado's staff. I spotted Arizona's crew at a nearby gate and other assorted (mostly west coast team) personnel.

As I understand it, Friday would start at 10am local time (gonna be an early day for us draft nerds on the west coast) which would give most folks a chance to fly back at night.

NHL isn't the only league to do this to maximize viewership. I miss when the NFL Draft was a niche thing that started on a Saturday morning but they moved to prime time in 2010. The NBA Draft has been a weeknight for as long as I can remember.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When do tickets go on sale? I plan on being there :D

It'll depend on the team, but looking back at 2019, I bought my ticket on May 23 (draft was on June 22). Tickets being released about a month beforehand seems consistent with the other four drafts I attended. They'll usually offer it up to season ticket holders first, so sometimes there'll only be limited seats that make it to the public.

Day 1 tickets might be tough to come by, especially in a market like Montreal. I had to settle for an upper deck seat on StubHub for 2019 in Vancouver. If you're going for pics/autographs, Day 2 might be the better day for that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
An extra day I gotta take off work.
ya but think about all the fun you'll have :naughty:

Draft days is easily my favorite NHL non game event, it's like Christmas for adults

My guess is we'll finish 31st and will pick 3rd overall.....again

Habs will select Slaf

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't care who we pick, but it has to be the right pick. If there's doubt 2 seasons later I'm gonna be pissed. The fanbase got sold on Kotkaniemi leading up to the draft but it's not the fans choice that matters. We didn't want Tkachuk but that was the scouting staffs job to see he was the better pick.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Why does the draft start on a Thursday? Terrible.
There must be a big Nascar race or watermelon seed spitting contest going on that weekend. Gary wouldn't want to inconvenience the southern audience.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
A team with 50% more points than us getting a crack at #1 is bullshit, don't get me wrong I hope it helps us next year if we aren't the same bottom feeder but this year they should have a different rule :sarcasm:
Honestly, there should be 3 draws

1st draw

Group A

1st overall Team in 32nd- 30% of winning
2nd overall Team in 31st-25% of winning
3rd overall Team in 30th-20% "
4th overall Team in 29th-15% "
5th overall Team in 28th-10% "

Second draw

Group B

6th overall Team in 27th- same percentage as example one
7th overall Team in 26th- same percetage
8th overall Team in 25th- etc
9th overall Team in 24th-etc
10th overall Team in 23rd-etc

3rd draw

Group C

11th overall Team in 22nd-25%
12th overall Team in 21st-20%
13th overall Team in 20th-18%
14th overall Team in 19th-15%
15th overall Team in 18th-13%
16th overall Team in 17th-9%

So you have 3 mini draws

you can only win in your group so a team that's in 27th place cannot win the draw and pick 1st overall. If you are the team that finished 23rd, the best you can do is pick 6th overall.

I find it absurd that a team can move up 10 spots, really isn't fair....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There must be a big Nascar race or watermelon spitting contest going on that weekend. Gary wouldn't want to inconvenience the southern audience.
there's actually a Seniors shuffleboard tournament going on in Bozman Montana hence ESPN could not cover the draft....makes sense :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson and Max2

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This will be a big day for Chicago, they either win 1 of the 2 draft lottery spots or give up their pick to Columbus.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Not the cursed 3rd overall again

08622bed3e59c55372c991177578e957.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad