Draft lottery date announced

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't care who we pick, but it has to be the right pick. If there's doubt 2 seasons later I'm gonna be pissed. The fanbase got sold on Kotkaniemi leading up to the draft but it's not the fans choice that matters. We didn't want Tkachuk but that was the scouting staffs job to see he was the better pick.

This but it might take more than 2 years after the draft to know how good the pick was. Dmen often take longer (Hedman being the prime example).

Big centers often do too, like Hertl and Couturier (and Kotkaniemi?).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This but it might take more than 2 years after the draft to know how good the pick was. Dmen often take longer (Hedman being the prime example).

Big centers often do too, like Hertl and Couturier (and Kotkaniemi?).
Even so Hedman still looked at worst like the 3rd best guy in the top 10. Duchene came out flying but fell down. It wasn't like Kotkaniemi where he wouldn't even go top 15 in a redraft 3-4 years post-draft.

Reactions: 26Mats

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The guy legit drops the NY Rangers ball by "accident" and a minute later that same ball is the winner. Who was the GM of that winning team? Jeff Gorton

That was no accident, the whole system was rigged.

We are in good hands, I like our chance of winning. :D

This is so ridiculous and gimmicky. Can't wait until there's a new commissioner.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What are we hoping for here?

Is Shane Wright a certified stud, or a "trap" first OA that's being carried by his reputation from a couple years past?

Do we mind picking anywhere in the top6, as in, is there a big difference in expectations between each of these available prospects?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What are we hoping for here?

Is Shane Wright a certified stud, or a "trap" first OA that's being carried by his reputation from a couple years past?

Do we mind picking anywhere in the top6, as in, is there a big difference in expectations between each of these available prospects?

I don't think we care either way if we get #1 but he's not a trap, just think that he could be anywhere from Hischier to Bergeron as a player.

And we want to pick top 5.. at 5 you're getting a top C (Wright, Cooley) a top RHD (Jiricek, Nemec) or a high end winger with size (Slafkovsky)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think we care either way if we get #1 but he's not a trap, just think that he could be anywhere from Hischier to Bergeron as a player.

And we want to pick top 5.. at 5 you're getting a top C (Wright, Cooley) a top RHD (Jiricek, Nemec) or a high end winger with size (Slafkovsky)

Thanks! Good to know about Wright, IF we get him I'll temper my expectations and hope for the best.

And hopefully we pick top 5 then :) I'll take any star skater haha

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Tip of the day: 3rd overall picks tend to perform much better when not “developed”by idiots like Michel Therrien.

As shitty as Therrien was as a coach and with developing young players, Galchenyuk had 28 goals and 51 points in his last 59 games under Therrien while playing C during that time.

Galchenyuk's play started to regress once Julien was hired. After a few games he was put back on the wing and then put on the 4th line with plugs like Steve Ott and Dwight King, while also being kept on the wing in the playoffs while Brian Flynn centered our 3rd line in a do or die game.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Not the cursed 3rd overall again

08622bed3e59c55372c991177578e957.jpg
We are picking 4 or 5, don’t worry. And we will draft a very very good player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As shitty as Therrien was as a coach and with developing young players, Galchenyuk had 28 goals and 51 points in his last 59 games under Therrien while playing C during that time.

Galchenyuk's play started to regress once Julien was hired. After a few games he was put back on the wing and then put on the 4th line with plugs like Steve Ott and Dwight King, while also being kept on the wing in the playoffs while Brian Flynn centered our 3rd line in a do or die game.
Therrien was an absolute jackass who played Desharnais ahead of Chuck. He moved him all over the lineup and would demote him even after he was playing really well.

God awful coach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
and timmins picking them like the KK year
KK may very well have been a bad pick. But the problem is we’ll never really know. When you f*** up on the development side it muddies the waters.

And it would be one thing if it only happened on occasion. But that’s not the case. NONE of our prospects hit their potential other than Gallagher. That’s just not possible without horrific coaching at both levels. You’d think we’d get lucky on some late picks but that didn’t even happen. An entire generation of players did absolutely nothing. There’s no way that’s all on drafting. Esp when we were able to see how terrible our coaches were.

You don’t get to mismanage players that badly and then blame the scouting. Espe when the scouts had been doing very well right up until MB took over.

Reactions: Hansman

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Habs don’t have the best odds compared to Arizona! 13.5% vs 18.5%…i have a feeling the 1st OV pick will go to Arizona

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Habs don’t have the best odds compared to Arizona! 13.5% vs 18.5%…i have a feeling the 1st OV pick will go to Arizona

And with the adjusted lottery odds there's an additional 7% implicit odds if Team #12-16 were to win the first drawing. Whoever the last place team is would have an 18.5% chance of winning outright + 7% of not getting bumped.

As much as it's easy to put on a tin foil hat and claim it's all rigged, the lottery is designed to be random so it's a bit misplaced to try to find a pattern or claim conspiracy theory. Realistically you could easily come up with a conspiracy theory for every team.

- Of course (big market) team won, Bettman doesn't want a star in a small city.
- Of course (small market) team won, they need a star to sell tickets.
- Of course (draft host) won, they shouldn't be so obvious
- Of course (team that lost star player to trade/free agency), the league wants to give them a replacement.
- Of course (team with new ownership) won, they probably made an agreement when they bought team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And with the adjusted lottery odds there's an additional 7% implicit odds if Team #12-16 were to win the first drawing. Whoever the last place team is would have an 18.5% chance of winning outright + 7% of not getting bumped.

As much as it's easy to put on a tin foil hat and claim it's all rigged, the lottery is designed to be random so it's a bit misplaced to try to find a pattern or claim conspiracy theory. Realistically you could easily come up with a conspiracy theory for every team.

- Of course (big market) team won, Bettman doesn't want a star in a small city.
- Of course (small market) team won, they need a star to sell tickets.
- Of course (draft host) won, they shouldn't be so obvious
- Of course (team that lost star player to trade/free agency), the league wants to give them a replacement.
- Of course (team with new ownership) won, they probably made an agreement when they bought team.
We likely won’t get first overall. But man, it would be sooooo sweet.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Therrien was an absolute jackass who played Desharnais ahead of Chuck. He moved him all over the lineup and would demote him even after he was playing really well.

God awful coach.
I hated Therrien, loved Chucky. I even bought his jersey in his rookie season. However, I think it’s a bit unfair to blame Therrien for Chucky not developing into the first line Centre that we all expected him to be. He isn’t that good after all.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hated Therrien, loved Chucky. I even bought his jersey in his rookie season. However, I think it’s a bit unfair to blame Therrien for Chucky not developing into the first line Centre that we all expected him to be. He isn’t that good after all.
I won’t suggest that Chuck would’ve been a superstar. But there’s no doubt he was hindered by our staff and would’ve been a lot more productive with a different coach.

He was better than DD in every way but we didn’t play him there. And when we did, his production was awesome.

It was a chronic problem and we wasted an entire generation of prospects because of it.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Thanks! Good to know about Wright, IF we get him I'll temper my expectations and hope for the best.

And hopefully we pick top 5 then :) I'll take any star skater haha
He would be still be the best prospect we have since I don't know when and the best I ever saw (started follow hockey in 2004). He got the potential to be the #1 C where looking for since 30 years

Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad