GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
He'll blend in well with all the other demons in DC

Hey, living in MD for 11 years now, I take offense to that.

Not really - Sabres will always be my # 1, but it is cool that Washington got Satan.

I wonder who Adams was referring to about the one person who could have been available at #11 (who didn't end up being available) that they would have picked. That would have been Catton for me.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Buffalo Sabres

Grade: B+

First rounders:

• Konsta Helenius, C
Day 2 Picks:
  • Adam Kleber, D
  • Brodie Ziemer, RW
  • Luke Osburn, D
  • Simon-Pier Brunet, D
  • Patrick Geary, D
  • Vasily Zelenov, RW
  • Ryerson Leenders, G
Analysis: The Sabres were able to trade down and still get an impact prospect in Konsta Helenius, who should fit well with what they're building. They also got a big right-shot defenseman in a system that is very left-shot heavy, so Adam Kleber will help them fill a need. He was No. 33 on FloHockey's Top 100. Brodie Ziemer is another personal favorite as he's a high-character player who plays the right way. Luke Osburn had a big-time season in the USHL and proved his NHL quality, while re-entry Patrick Geary was a top shutdown defenseman for Michigan State. I also really liked the pick of Ryerson Leenders so late in the draft because he's an athletic goalie with some room to grow.

Overall, in regards to grading the picks made, the Sabres are going to get a resounding A grade. Their early-round picks are stellar, and their mid-round picks are solid. None of them were so off the board that it left me wondering why; rather, every pick made had me excited to see what the next one was going to be. This draft added a lot of very good talent to their prospect pool, and it replenished the one thing they lacked severely, and that was defense. They added some right-handed defenders, and some physicality combined with skill. Now with the draft over, the Sabres need to look forward to free agency and get some work done for their immediate roster.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Buffalo Sabres

Grade: B+

First rounders:

• Konsta Helenius, C
Day 2 Picks:
  • Adam Kleber, D
  • Brodie Ziemer, RW
  • Luke Osburn, D
  • Simon-Pier Brunet, D
  • Patrick Geary, D
  • Vasily Zelenov, RW
  • Ryerson Leenders, G
Analysis: The Sabres were able to trade down and still get an impact prospect in Konsta Helenius, who should fit well with what they're building. They also got a big right-shot defenseman in a system that is very left-shot heavy, so Adam Kleber will help them fill a need. He was No. 33 on FloHockey's Top 100. Brodie Ziemer is another personal favorite as he's a high-character player who plays the right way. Luke Osburn had a big-time season in the USHL and proved his NHL quality, while re-entry Patrick Geary was a top shutdown defenseman for Michigan State. I also really liked the pick of Ryerson Leenders so late in the draft because he's an athletic goalie with some room to grow.

Overall, in regards to grading the picks made, the Sabres are going to get a resounding A grade. Their early-round picks are stellar, and their mid-round picks are solid. None of them were so off the board that it left me wondering why; rather, every pick made had me excited to see what the next one was going to be. This draft added a lot of very good talent to their prospect pool, and it replenished the one thing they lacked severely, and that was defense. They added some right-handed defenders, and some physicality combined with skill. Now with the draft over, the Sabres need to look forward to free agency and get some work done for their immediate roster.

That all makes sense. But we've seen these reviews a decade ago. I'm just jaded.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This was a good draft.

It'll get lost in the mess they've made doing everything else but drafting.
I like Forton. I can understand his logic just like Beane.

When it comes to Adams I lack direction. Everything feels like an act. His post season tantrum, his smirk. He makes me cringe like wormtongue.
Next to Lindy it becomes even more obvious.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hey, living in MD for 11 years now, I take offense to that.

Not really - Sabres will always be my # 1, but it is cool that Washington got Satan.

I wonder who Adams was referring to about the one person who could have been available at #11 (who didn't end up being available) that they would have picked. That would have been Catton for me.
Washington is purposely killing CapFriendly, drafting Satan was the obvious next step.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
B+ is what I'd give this draft.

Helenius - was at the back of my top group, but was still in it. It was 13 deep (thank you Philly for taking Jet) and he was the only one left. IQ/two-way game, and can still produce points. Probably goes top 5 if he's 6'2". Natural center too

Kleber - earlier than I would've taken him, but hard to dislike a 6'5"/6'6" 214 right shot d with a mean streak. I'll take that all day.

Ziemer - YESSSS favorite pick of day 2. I had him way higher than most people on my board. Tough sob who competes all over the ice, and a leader. Shades of Ryan Callahan. We haven't made this kind of pick in the Adams era.

Osburn - dk much about him, but people I trust like him

Brunet - size, right shot d will always be liked. That he played with one of our ace prospects in Komarov probably explains why we liked him.

Geary - local ties, double over-ager. Likely the first to be AHL ready after Helenius. Same program as Strbak.

Zelenov - there's a lot of buzz around this pick. He's evidently a great player in the AlpsHL, a league I didn't know existed. I'll take it in the 7th

Leenders - 2nd favorite pick of day 2. Always swing for 1 goalie every draft. The goalie landscape in the NHL is brutal right now. This guy being around in the 7th is surprising. Size, some pedigree, decent stats, and a strong, if small, playoff showing in 23-24. Should remain the starter for the Steelheads.

All in all, the draft is similar to 2023. They've moving away from pure skill boom / bust picks (Kisakov, Neuchev, Sardarian) and more towards two-way play and muscle (Wahlberg, Kleber, Ziemer).

These last 2 drafts have really balanced the pipeline. It's still overflowing though, so trades are needed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
B+ is what I'd give this draft.

Helenius - was at the back of my top group, but was still in it. It was 13 deep (thank you Philly for taking Jet) and he was the only one left. IQ/two-way game, and can still produce points. Probably goes top 5 if he's 6'2". Natural center too

Kleber - earlier than I would've taken him, but hard to dislike a 6'5"/6'6" 214 right shot d with a mean streak. I'll take that all day.

Ziemer - YESSSS favorite pick of day 2. I had him way higher than most people on my board. Tough sob who competes all over the ice, and a leader. Shades of Ryan Callahan. We haven't made this kind of pick in the Adams era.

Osburn - dk much about him, but people I trust like him

Brunet - size, right shot d will always be liked. That he played with one of our ace prospects in Komarov probably explains why we liked him.

Geary - local ties, double over-ager. Likely the first to be AHL ready after Helenius. Same program as Strbak.

Zelenov - there's a lot of buzz around this pick. He's evidently a great player in the AlpsHL, a league I didn't know existed. I'll take it in the 7th

Leenders - 2nd favorite pick of day 2. Always swing for 1 goalie every draft. The goalie landscape in the NHL is brutal right now. This guy being around in the 7th is surprising. Size, some pedigree, decent stats, and a strong, if small, playoff showing in 23-24. Should remain the starter for the Steelheads.

All in all, the draft is similar to 2023. They've moving away from pure skill boom / bust picks (Kisakov, Neuchev, Sardarian) and more towards two-way play and muscle (Wahlberg, Kleber, Ziemer).

These last 2 drafts have really balanced the pipeline. It's still overflowing though, so trades are needed.

I'd give them a B for this one. There is a lot to like, they diversified, and they still got one of the guys we've talked about for some time. Any failings are on the trade and roster construction side of the house.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd give them a B for this one. There is a lot to like, they diversified, and they still got one of the guys we've talked about for some time. Any failings are on the trade and roster construction side of the house.
The only thing they didn't do was swing on a boom/bust. They already have a few in the pipeline, but next year I may campaign for skill again. That's 2 straight drafts of very two-way game focus.

Reactions: HOOats

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sabres werent mentioned on EF's written 32 thoughts.s ays a lot
actually, it didnt really say anything we don't already know.

Adams' camp rarely/never leaks. That's been established.

Leaks are rare, and usually have reasons. Did you see how pissed Adams looked when they asked him about Carolina trade talk? The man runs a tight ship (that to date, also can't get any notable deals over the hump)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad