Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Nice work!

A couple small corrections though. Newhook's 10 points in 8 games isn't that impressive. The last two high pick forwards out of the BCHL, Turris and Jost, were both over 2PPG. He's going to need to pick it up, although I'm sure he will.

The NTDP season hasn't started. Those are preseason games. Actually, it looks like there might be some early NTDP injuries before the season starts. Turcotte and Zegras are out right now, along with Weight and Gildon. Weight was injured pretty bad a week ago. He two handed a player in the back of the neck after a big hit on one of his teammates, and then a lot of players on the other team proceeded to absolutely maul him. Really dumb decision from him. Totally overreacted, and the other team reacted with incredible rage. The type of play you never like seeing.

Newhook has that relentless motor, though. Is always on the puck, which is so intriguing!!

You're right on the development team, good catch!!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For people following Slovan now with Virta on the team: Keep an eye on Adam Liska. Undrafted in 2018, he has been pretty good for an 18-year old (turns 19 in a few weeks). Only 2 months older than Kravtsov, Liska has 5 points through the first 13 games of the season. Not bad, especially considering Slovan is a shit team.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on for the 2019 draft as an overager. Might be a decent pick-up in the 4th or 5th round. And if recent drafts are anything to go by, the Rangers always look for 1 or 2 overagers who are already playing pro-hockey later in the draft.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Keeping an eye on D+1 overager Matthew Brown with the Des Moines Buccs. Kid is at tripple PPG, ATM. Committed to UMass-Lowell next season.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Here are some rankings for all you placement junkies ;)

Hockeyprospect.com

1. C: Jack Hughes
2. C: Alex Turcotte
3. C: Alex Newhook
4. RW: Kaapo Kakko
5. D: Bowen Byram
6. LW: Maxim Cajkovic
7. D: Victor Soderstrom
8. LW: Peyton Krebs
9. RW: Vasili Podkolzin
10. LW: Arthur Kaliyev
11. LW: Matthew Boldy
12. C: Kirby Dach
13. C: Dylan Cozens
14. LW: Daniil Gutik
15. C/RW: Raphael Lavoie
16. C/RW: Cole Caufield
17. D: Cam York
18. RW: Valentin Nussbaumer
19. C: Blake Murray
20. C: Ryan Suzuki
21. D: Michael Vukojevic
22. RW: Simon Holmstrom
23. D: Anttoni Honka
24. LW: Jakob Pelletier
25. C: Trevor Zegras
26. D: Matthew Robertson
27. C: John Beecher
28. D: Tobias Bjornfot
29. C: Ryder Donovan
30. D: Ben Brinkman

Future Considerations

1. C: Jack Hughes
2. C: Alex Turcotte
3. RW: Kaapo Kakko
4. D: Bowen Byram
5. D: Matthew Robertson
6. C: Ryan Suzuki
7. C: Kirby Dach
8. C: Dylan Cozens
9. C: Blake Murray
10. LW: Peyton Krebs
11. LW: Arthur Kaliyev
12. LW: Nolan Foote
13. C/RW: Raphael Lavoie
14. LW: Jakob Pelletier
15. D: Victor Soderstrom
16. C: Alex Newhook
17. D: Artemi Knyazev
18. D: Tobias Bjornfot
19. D: Anttoni Honka
20. C/RW: Cole Caufield
21. C/RW: Albin Grewe
22. LW: Samuel Poulin
23. D: Mikko Kokkonen
24. C: Trevor Zegras
25. LW: Nils Hoglander
26. RW: Sasha Mutala
27. D: Marshall Warren
28. C: Tag Bertuzzi
29. D: Moritz Seider
30. D: Case McCarthy

Reactions: Fvital92

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
That's a big discrepancy for Newhook and Podkolzin. Will be interesting to see how much the 'consensus' top 10 solidifies throughout the season

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
First thoughts at a glance: Dach and Cozens seem pretty low on the first one, Suzuki and Robertson too high on the second one

Being bigger guys who aren't necessarily human highlight reels, Dach and Cozens are going to see some pushback in certain circles. There's also an element of being able to fantasize about talent like Newhook or Turcotte because they aren't necessarily going up against 6'3, 220 pound guys who know how to defend.

Early on, there are A LOT of varied opinions as to who the best center is after Hughes.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Am I he only one who isn’t really blown away by Turcotte?

I think it's hard to see him in the same games as Hughes.

It's like watching Dahlin and then shifting focus to Boqvist. The latter is still a hell of a prospect, but it's hard when you watched the former around the same time.

But I know where you're coming from when a prospect doesn't blow you away.

That's how I felt about Dach last season. We'll see how he does this year.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Would Podkolzin not being on FC's list be an effect of him not wanting to come to the NHL for several years, or are there genuine question marks surrounding him that have some prognosticators that low on him?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Would Podkolzin not being on FC's list be an effect of him not wanting to come to the NHL for several years, or are there genuine question marks surrounding him that have some prognosticators that low on him?

At this stage, sometimes it is typically a matter of liking certain guys more or being more familiar with them.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The one player that’s disappointed me thus far is Blake Murray. He was in a prime spot to lead Sudbury this season, but that shoulder injury before the Hlinka seems to be still causing issues.

On the other hand, hello 2020 draft prospect Quinton Byfield. Kid is crushing it to start the season.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Turcotte is the type of player who isn't as much of a highlight-reel style player as Hughes or Zegras. He's not going to get as many goals as Caufield, but his all-around game is the best in the draft. Very high hockey IQ and a relentless player every shift. He's more of a Crosby style center than a McDavid style center, if that makes sense. If you are just looking at his offensive contribution, he might only be a very good player. If you are looking at his complete game, he has 1C potential.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not a big Dach fan. Think it would take a lot for Gorts to pass up Cozen with a mid single digit pick, but I have only seen a fraction of the candidates so far.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Depends which perspective you look at, Turcotte is a really good player. Basically think he could take a shift in any league right now. Good speed and skill and just executes everything at a high level.

I think that he in 6-18 months will prove to be a strong future No 1 center candidate in the NHL and that is of course great for a prospect.

But with that said, I wouldn’t fall of a chair of surprise if he leveled out a bit and was more a 8-12 candidate either in 6 months. He must keep trending the right way. Not reason to not expect him to do that, but it’s not like you are blown away by him being some kind of unique can’t fail type of prospect.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

It's very limited vision as I've only been able to find a few "in-game" highlights as opposed to "highlight-reel"highlights, but I really haven't been that impressed with Newhook. Skating is excellent and can make a nice pass, but too often chooses the wrong option or just seems to drift around aimlessly.
A lot of it is probably just expectation management as he was talked up a lot elsewhere before I ever got a chance to see footage, so I guess I was expecting more.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Ironically enough, both Suzuki and Dach didn't jump out at me last year like some of their contemporaries. Both left me wanting more when I saw them.

Dach is one of those kids who doesn't realize just how good he can be. Once his frame fills in and he's playing at 6'4 and 215/220 he could be an absolute monster. For a kid with that sort of size in junior, he really doesn't assert himself that much physically. Once he does that he could really explode.

There's a little bit of a comparison to Kravtsov there for me. Notching up the confidence can take him to a whole other level.

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad