Dougie Hamilton III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I cant see Montreal or Toronto winning a Cup any time soon

Toronto is coming up on their 50th Anniversary wow.....Montreal has 28 years to go but it seems inevitable they will make it

I will simply state that my original curse that I placed on the Habs was right after thier 1993 cup.
Something very powerful came over me and I threw a hex towards this stinking team and wished they would not win another one for at least 40 years.
I have no idea why 40 popped out of my mouth but that is exactly what I shouted out loud in front of the tv at the time and it was also the last time i watched a Montreal team play that was not against the Bruins.
Therefore, my original curse would end in 2033 which still gives me 18 more wonderful years of peace of mind if it would turn out true.Cheers to you DKH and I truly hope you are right with your estimation because that would an extra 10 years and at the age I am presently (52) I may be gone by then for good....:laugh:

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
^ You said 40 years because subconsciously you knew that their last legitimate Cup was 1978.
They should not have won in 1979;
Calgary was the better team in 1986;
and if McSorley's stick were legal, I'll go to my grave feeling that LA wins it in 1993.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Clark Booth wrote this about Hamilton on July 30th

In the many tough critiques written of the Bruins off-season machinations, I keep reading rave notices for the performance of the departed Dougie Hamilton amidst last-season’s shambles. Such tributes have been more than effusive; adoring is more like it. And I’m wondering if I was watching the same player on the same team or did I miss something.

Mind you, Hamilton is indisputably a significant young talent with a skill set suggesting potential stardom and plenty of time to realize it. But there’s a gap between potency and act, potential and its full realization, and young Hamilton has only just begun to bridge it. In my opinion, he has come to the task too slowly and with less fervor than one should expect from a prospective all-star. There’s cause, therefore, to worry if he’ll be one of those wondrous prospects who somehow never quite measures up, at least not to the fullness of his potential. It happens, you know. Actually, it happens more often than not.

In his three seasons, the kid has displayed enthusiasm but not fire in the belly. He has great size but doesn’t much use it. He’s aggressive on offense, much less so on defense. He seems to most enjoy the power play. From a distance he does not strike one as terribly coachable. He did not step up last season when things began to go awry, signs of which you look for in one’s third season. For a solid two-month stretch last mid-season when things were getting dicey, he was essentially AWOL.

Are these fatal flaws in a kid barely out of his teens still adjusting to advancing maturity and a demanding life style? No! But it’s equally clear the rave notices are premature. Dougie is a work in progress. Period! Check back in two, maybe three years.

http://www.dotnews.com/columns/2015/herewith-mid-summer-compilation-disa-and-data

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The lost of Hamilton for futures is the death knell of this team. Yes, he was a work in progress and yes his defensive game needed work. But, subtracting a 42 point 22 year old defencemen from this group of defence creates a giant hole. Maybe all the gossip is true and Hamilton wanted out, but you cannot trade two important players (Lucic and Hamilton) for futures and expect to have the next season end well.

Lottery bound here we come

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011
In my opinion, he has come to the task too slowly and with less fervor than one should expect from a prospective all-star

There's plenty to dispute with this article but this is particularly audacious. I wonder in Clark's opinion how quickly a defenseman is supposed to develop. Dougie's new teammate Mark Giordano has arguably been the best defenseman on the planet for the past twoyears, but it took 400 games and half a dozen seasons in the NHL to reach that level of greatness. I would like to hear some examples of defensemen that Clark feels achieved their prospective all-stardom at 21 with appropriate quickness and fervor.

Also, "not terribly coachable"? All the kid did in his tenure here was improve... Yet another takedown piece.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
There's plenty to dispute with this article but this is particularly audacious. I wonder in Clark's opinion how quickly a defenseman is supposed to develop. Dougie's new teammate Mark Giordano has arguably been the best defenseman on the planet for the past twoyears, but it took 400 games and half a dozen seasons in the NHL to reach that level of greatness. I would like to hear some examples of defensemen that Clark feels achieved their prospective all-stardom at 21 with appropriate quickness and fervor.

Also, "not terribly coachable"? All the kid did in his tenure here was improve... Yet another takedown piece.

Bruins Ministry of Propaganda hard at work again. Some of my friends in the Putin Government are envious of the Bruins ability to brainwash the fanbase :laugh:

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
The lost of Hamilton for futures is the death knell of this team. Yes, he was a work in progress and yes his defensive game needed work. But, subtracting a 42 point 22 year old defencemen from this group of defence creates a giant hole. Maybe all the gossip is true and Hamilton wanted out, but you cannot trade two important players (Lucic and Hamilton) for futures and expect to have the next season end well.

Lol the loss of Lucic and Hamilton is what will do us in? An aging/declining power forward and an albiet great offensive talent but weak on defense DEFENSEMEN? I think you're the one that's brainwashed. And it's not gossip, he was offered 3 contracts from the Bruins, his agent never answered one of them. Seems pretty obvious to everyone else. Would you prefer us to be like the Penguins? Sacrifice all future and youth to keep a nonexistent cup window open? We needed to reset the team and Sweeney is doing just that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lol the loss of Lucic and Hamilton is what will do us in? An aging/declining power forward and an albiet great offensive talent but weak on defense DEFENSEMEN? I think you're the one that's brainwashed. And it's not gossip, he was offered 3 contracts from the Bruins, his agent never answered one of them. Seems pretty obvious to everyone else. Would you prefer us to be like the Penguins? Sacrifice all future and youth to keep a nonexistent cup window open? We needed to reset the team and Sweeney is doing just that.

Answer me this simple question: Is the roster better today than it was last year?

The way you feel about this article is dependent on how you view that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

But we did sign Lw Beleskey and the Lw side looks better than it did last year, expecting Lou to be Lw.
Rw can also look already better than it did a year ago.

But we haven't been able to replace Hamilton in the D department, but who knows if Colin surprises, he has better offensive tools than Hamilton but that doesn't mean he will turn into 40 point D-player.

We weren't going to go al in next year anyways, it would have killed us completely, we do a flying re-tool and try to get into playoffs.
We had to clear Chia's mess, Lucic/Hamiltons contract problems and poor prospect pool.

But I was very surprised at the time that we only got picks for Hamilton.
Bennett would have been nice, probably wouldn't have signed Beleskey and in few years could have seen Bennett-Krecji-Pasta doing damage in the East, an honest 1st line with top talent.

But how do we look at this trade if we sign Yandle next offseason and Senyshyn is able to find himself 1day on the 2nd line on the Bruins?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Answer me this simple question: Is the roster better today than it was last year?

The way you feel about this article is dependent on how you view that.

Forward group is than a year ago, a lot faster, cheaper and a lot more potential, also few new snipers, hopefully Connolly can finally find his draft times offensive potential and do damage with that shot.

If Colin steps up and O'Gara plays for the Bruins on the 2nd half then the D can be also better and should be better than it was a year ago, it wasn't beautiful last year.
But still have to find that top pairing D.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Forward group is than a year ago.

If Colin steps up and O'Gara plays for the Bruins on the 2nd half then the D can be also better and should be better than it was a year ago, it wasn't beautiful last year.
But still have to find that top pairing D.

Is what? I assume you think it's better? I'd say it's deeper, but better? Not so sure about that. They need a lot of guys to have breakout seasons for them to be better. Nobody that they brought in is an actual first line player at this point in their careers, while Lucic for all his warts was.

The defensive side is far worse than last year, and that group stunk to start with...

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

He’s aggressive on offense, much less so on defense. He seems to most enjoy the power play.

Is there a hockey player out there in any league that doesn't enjoy playing on the PP more than anything else. :dunno:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm flat out stunned by this column. I thought Clark Booth died years ago...:naughty:

Clark is a nice man but he's still in the 70's. Rubbish column. I used to read him all the time because my parents got the Pilot and even as a young tyke I thought he was off base more than on it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is what? I assume you think it's better? I'd say it's deeper, but better? Not so sure about that. They need a lot of guys to have breakout seasons for them to be better. Nobody that they brought in is an actual first line player at this point in their careers, while Lucic for all his warts was.

No they don't, a year ago this forward group looked brutal and it doesn't take much to make that better, yes right now the top top wing talent is missing(still growing) but we have addressed needs.
Speed, drive to the net and we've added players who can really shoot the puck.

Our 4th line will be better than it was last year, expecting Kelly and Kemppainen to be there, with those it would be a lot better.

Also healthy Eriksson can be a 1st line player for us if you say Lucic was last year, if he plays with Krecji I don't know why he wouldn't be logging 55+ points.
Beleskey replaces Kelly in the top9 which is another offensive ++ for us.
Spooner has more offensive potential than Soda and his speed addresses a huge need for us, C group will be stronger than it was a year ago.
Pasta replaces AHL healthy scratch, +++ win for us, Connolly and Hayes are wild cards but they should be able to replace Smiths and Eriksson scoring totals from last year.

Last years forward group was brutal, have you already forgotten it?

Injured Krecji, Kelly in the top6/9, AHL healthy scratch with Lucic, Lucic missing pre season, Eriksson recovering on the 1st half and the slumps our players had.
With Krecji we now can have 3 scoring lines and a strong defensive 4th line, yes the top top talent is missing but we have talent growing up.

But if we start with this D group it's pointless, they won't score more, that D group will do nothing in the offensive zone.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
murray kuntz is spooner's agent too. have to shake his hand for that 2 year contract.

I believe Murray and Barry work together, no? The first time I met Dougie he was with Murray. Sweeney and Murray have a great relationship. (like how I worked I met Dougie into this, Nugs? anything to make me feel important and work on that esteem)

as for Dougie he would be playing in Nebraska if that's where the folks wanted him to play. Yes, I remember 21 and I wasn't smart enough to put my underwear on the right way most days.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No they don't, a year ago this forward group looked brutal and it doesn't take much to make that better, yes right now the top top wing talent is missing(still growing) but we have addressed needs.
Speed, drive to the net and we've added players who can really shoot the puck.

Our 4th line will be better than it was last year, expecting Kelly and Kemppainen to be there, with those it would be a lot better.

Also healthy Eriksson can be a 1st line player for us if you say Lucic was last year, if he plays with Krecji I don't know why he wouldn't be logging 55+ points.
Beleskey replaces Kelly in the top9 which is another offensive ++ for us.
Spooner has more offensive potential than Soda and his speed addresses a huge need for us, C group will be stronger than it was a year ago.
Pasta replaces AHL healthy scratch, +++ win for us, Connolly and Hayes are wild cards but they should be able to replace Smiths and Eriksson scoring totals from last year.

Last years forward group was brutal, have you already forgotten it?

Injured Krecji, Kelly in the top6/9, AHL healthy scratch with Lucic, Lucic missing pre season, Eriksson recovering on the 1st half and the slumps our players had.
With Krecji we now can have 3 scoring lines and a strong defensive 4th line, yes the top top talent is missing but we have talent growing up.

That's all great, except Julien has shown he's not willing to play Erkisson with DK. You also are assuming health for DK, and that's dicey at best given the hip he's playing on. You also assume Kelly will be on the 4th line, where I don't see it. I see Julien putting him on the Spooner line to balance out Spooner's lack of attention on defense.

Beleksey cashed in on one good season. What happens if he reverts to what he's been his entire career up until last year? Connolly and Hayes are 4th/3rd line players on their previous teams, but here, they're likely elevated to top 6 roles. You know why? Because the forward group here is marginal at best and devoid of any real elite offensive players. And that doesn't even factor in the injuries they'll have to overcome. It's not a good squad on paper. At all. In fact it's far worse than they've been in years. May hurt to hear, but I expect a cold hard slap of reality across the face of the fan base this year when they see what it really is.

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011
Clark Booth said:
"He did not step up last season when things began to go awry, signs of which you look for in one’s third season. For a solid two-month stretch last mid-season when things were getting dicey, he was essentially AWOL."

Hey guys, remember that two month stretch between October and December when things began to go awry? We were still reeling from the trade of Boychuck, Seidenberg was playing like a shell of his former self, and Zdeno tore up his knee. Times were so desperate even Joe Morrow was in the show. We needed Dougie to step up over that stretch, but where was he? Other than the team-leading 15 points in 19 games, the carrying of a one-legged Seidenberg on his back for 25 minutes a night, and the paltry 11-7-1 record we put out despite a built in California vacation, I didn't even notice the kid. Who gave him leave?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Clark is a nice man but he's still in the 70's. Rubbish column. I used to read him all the time because my parents got the Pilot and even as a young tyke I thought he was off base more than on it.

Of course it was rubbish. It's why I can't read local coverage of this team. It's usually all propaganda spoon fed to the reporters by the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad