Dougie Hamilton III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey guys, remember that two month stretch between October and December when things began to go awry? We were still reeling from the trade of Boychuck, Seidenberg was playing like a shell of his former self, and Zdeno tore up his knee. Times were so desperate even Joe Morrow was in the show. We needed Dougie to step up over that stretch, but where was he? Other than the team-leading 15 points in 19 games, the carrying of a one-legged Seidenberg on his back for 25 minutes a night, and the paltry 11-7-1 record we put out despite a built in California vacation, I didn't even notice the kid. Who gave him leave?

So because a young guy wasn't ready to be a true number one defenseman after bad injuries, that means he stinks? Makes complete sense. Keep drinking the kool aid, man....:laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's all great, except Julien has shown he's not willing to play Erkisson with DK. You also are assuming health for DK, and that's dicey at best given the hip he's playing on. You also assume Kelly will be on the 4th line, where I don't see it. I see Julien putting him on the Spooner line to balance out Spooner's lack of attention on defense.

Beleksey cashed in on one good season. What happens if he reverts to what he's been his entire career up until last year? Connolly and Hayes are 4th/3rd line players on their previous teams, but here, they're likely elevated to top 6 roles. You know why? Because the forward group here is marginal at best and devoid of any real elite offensive players. And that doesn't even factor in the injuries they'll have to overcome. It's not a good squad on paper. At all. In fact it's far worse than they've been in years. May hurt to hear, but I expect a cold hard slap of reality across the face of the fan base this year when they see what it really is.

If Kelly plays in the top9 then Julien needs to be fired right away, if you are worried about D-play you put Eriksson there who will improve that line at both ends and not destroy it.
Of course if we see Kelly in the top9 that forward group will be painful to watch, hurts 3rd lines scoring and 4th lines D-play gets weaker, is that wise?

Also are you telling me that we brought guys in to fill needs and put them into the 4th line to just absolutely get wasted?
You know we had ahl healthy scratch and slumping Smith in the top6?
Connolly scored 2 less goals with 4th line minutes in 50games than Smith with Bergeron, Hayes scored 19 goals with Panthers bottom6 talent which isn't pretty, both fills a need for us.
Smith is a 3rd line player, ahl healthy scratch is not even a a top9 player.

Beleskey also doesn't kill offensive player, he spends time in front of the net and has a great shot, so his offensive skills are over Kelly's who is past his prime.

Why wouldn't it be better than last year?
You have to watch injuries last year because they were huge and now the roster looks healthy. Krecji in the lineup gives us 3 scoring lines, but if we go with this D I'm not expecting anything.

Kelly in the top9 would be the .......... thing to do and I would lose it. If we want to tank it would be helpfull.

Last edited:

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011
So because a young guy wasn't ready to be a true number one defenseman after bad injuries, that means he stinks? Makes complete sense. Keep drinking the kool aid, man....:laugh:

:laugh: I guess I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough. I felt he was a revelation and that he played like he was indeed a number one defenseman over that stretch. It's past November that gives me nightmares about what we may have given up.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Lol the loss of Lucic and Hamilton is what will do us in? An aging/declining power forward and an albiet great offensive talent but weak on defense DEFENSEMEN?

You simply cannot trade two players who are producing now for futures and expect your team the following season to be acceptable. Have we forgotten so quickly the loss of Boychuk and Iginla turned the Bruins into a non-playoff team? Or trading Phil Kessel for futures took this team from the best offensive team to the worst offensive team? When you lack top tier players, it makes the lower tier players easier to stop.

I've said I was thrilled with the Lucic trade because the Bruins got a wonderful haul. However, you simply cannot trade two key contributors and get nothing that helps you immediately. If the Bruins wanted to re-tool, I can understand trading Lucic for futures and signing Beleskey. That kind of move makes sense to me, despite me having zero belief in Beleskey (he will be David Clarkson 2.0 with a cheaper contract). But trading a 42 point 21 year old defencemen and getting a terrible return makes no sense to me.

Would you prefer us to be like the Penguins? Sacrifice all future and youth to keep a nonexistent cup window open? We needed to reset the team and Sweeney is doing just that.
If the Bruins wanted to reset the team, everyone should be on the table. As this team is constructed, our vets are going to be in their early to mid 30's when the Bruins are a contender again.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
:laugh: I guess I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough. I felt he was a revelation and that he played like he was indeed a number one defenseman over that stretch. It's past November that gives me nightmares about what we may have given up.

Ha! Sorry man, sometimes it's hard to pick up on the sarcasm in the written word. :laugh:

He carried Chara when Z came back and played terribly, so I was wonder what the hell you were thinking posting that...:laugh:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You simply cannot trade two players who are producing now for futures and expect your team the following season to be acceptable. Have we forgotten so quickly the loss of Boychuk and Iginla turned the Bruins into a non-playoff team? Or trading Phil Kessel for futures took this team from the best offensive team to the worst offensive team? When you lack top tier players, it makes the lower tier players easier to stop.

I've said I was thrilled with the Lucic trade because the Bruins got a wonderful haul. However, you simply cannot trade two key contributors and get nothing that helps you immediately. If the Bruins wanted to re-tool, I can understand trading Lucic for futures and signing Beleskey. That kind of move makes sense to me, despite me having zero belief in Beleskey (he will be David Clarkson 2.0 with a cheaper contract). But trading a 42 point 21 year old defencemen and getting a terrible return makes no sense to me.

If the Bruins wanted to reset the team, everyone should be on the table. As this team is constructed, our vets are going to be in their early to mid 30's when the Bruins are a contender again.

so you don't think the Bruins will get 100 points

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011
Ha! Sorry man, sometimes it's hard to pick up on the sarcasm in the written word. :laugh:

He carried Chara when Z came back and played terribly, so I was wonder what the hell you were thinking posting that...:laugh:

;) You're right that's my fault, the problem is there's people that actually say things like that with a straight face :amazed: To put Dougie's 19 game stretch into perspective, if you extrapolate it over 82 games he would have scored 65 points (one less than Karlsson), with harder zone starts, tougher competition, and better possession numbers than the latter. He didn't just play like a number one defenseman, he played like a Norris contender.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I always thought that pairing Hamilton with Chara was stupid and took away the best parts of Hamilton's game.

I feel the same way when people put C. Miller in their lineups next to Chara.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
so you don't think the Bruins will get 100 points

Been watching the Bruins since I was old enough to remember. I think this is the most down I've ever been on the team since I started watching. Last season I watched 50/60 games and I don't think I can do it this year. Since I moved to Moscow I think I am going to take in as much Russian hockey as I can.

My friend here is a big Spartak Moscow fan and he is trying to convert me :laugh:. He took me to the meet and greet of the players. It was pretty cool to meet German Titov and Slava Kozlov. However, the girlfriend is a big SKA St Petersburg fan. Another friend here is from Novosibirsk and took me to Novosibirsk vs Dynamo Moscow.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Been watching the Bruins since I was old enough to remember. I think this is the most down I've ever been on the team since I started watching. Last season I watched 50/60 games and I don't think I can do it this year. Since I moved to Moscow I think I am going to take in as much Russian hockey as I can.

My friend here is a big Spartak Moscow fan and he is trying to convert me :laugh:. He took me to the meet and greet of the players. It was pretty cool to meet German Titov and Slava Kozlov. However, the girlfriend is a big SKA St Petersburg fan. Another friend here is from Novosibirsk and took me to Novosibirsk vs Dynamo Moscow.

big fan of Slava Kozlov....I would love to go to Moscow on some type of structured tour and see some of those hockey games as part of it.

The Bruins to me are morphing from the strong teams of 2009-2014 into the next stage of a quicker and faster team from Chiarelli's 'heavy, sandpaper teams'

We may be in the caterpillar stage moving towards the butterfly but its hard to determine how much Chara and Seidenberg have left and if the Colin Millers and Zach Trotman can play now as they wait on the Carlo, Zboril, OGara, Lauzon etc group to show up

I find them very interesting its not so formed as the past 8 years but it sure beats the Todd Elik and Troy Mallette teams that came through that featured Cameron Mann and Shawn Bates in the top 5 prospect lists

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Take advantage and watch some Russian hockey .As bad as things were last year ,I don't have much interest in watching any other teams besides the Bruins . I live in Nova Scotai and I know literally nothing about any of the local teams .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm flat out stunned by this column. I thought Clark Booth died years ago...:naughty:

The only persons I can think of who have seen more Bruins games are Milt Schmidt and Roger Naples.

Back in 1971 I was an intern at WBZ-TV while at BU and I was sent to Montreal and my main responsibility was to make sure both Clark and the film photographer were on the first plane back in the morning.

The Bruins get blown out badly at the Forum and after the game we adjourned to the old Sheraton Mt Royal for refreshments - ( I was 21 at the time )

Well Clark and Bob Gamere ( who was Clark's roommate at Holy Cross ) decide they want to go to a bar in the east end of Montreal called the Casa Loma. At 3 AM closing time Clark had vanished and when it came time for the flight he did not make it.

I had the film but no Clark and figured I would be fired when I got back to Soldiers Field Road. Imagine my shock that Clark was already back in the newsroom waiting for the film. He somehow talked a young lady into driving him to Boston.

Clark is the best TV reporter Boston has ever seen and while he is now retired in Florida he goes to every Bruins game in that state.

21321_1027832877244173_4220548798728778485_n.jpg

So keeping on topic - I respect his opinion

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The only persons I can think of who have seen more Bruins games are Milt Schmidt and Roger Naples.

Back in 1971 I was an intern at WBZ-TV while at BU and I was sent to Montreal and my main responsibility was to make sure both Clark and the film photographer were on the first plane back in the morning.

The Bruins get blown out badly at the Forum and after the game we adjourned to the old Sheraton Mt Royal for refreshments - ( I was 21 at the time )

Well Clark and Bob Gamere ( who was Clark's roommate at Holy Cross ) decide they want to go to a bar in the east end of Montreal called the Casa Loma. At 3 AM closing time Clark had vanished and when it came time for the flight he did not make it.

I had the film but no Clark and figured I would be fired when I got back to Soldiers Field Road. Imagine my shock that Clark was already back in the newsroom waiting for the film. He somehow talked a young lady into driving him to Boston.

Clark is the best TV reporter Boston has ever seen and while he is now retired in Florida he goes to every Bruins game in that state.

21321_1027832877244173_4220548798728778485_n.jpg

So keeping on topic - I respect his opinion

He's got a great resume and has lead an incredible life, which is great. Still doesn't mean his article comes off like a propaganda piece ghost written by one of the current members of the Bruins front office though...:laugh:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey guys, remember that two month stretch between October and December when things began to go awry? We were still reeling from the trade of Boychuck, Seidenberg was playing like a shell of his former self, and Zdeno tore up his knee. Times were so desperate even Joe Morrow was in the show. We needed Dougie to step up over that stretch, but where was he? Other than the team-leading 15 points in 19 games, the carrying of a one-legged Seidenberg on his back for 25 minutes a night, and the paltry 11-7-1 record we put out despite a built in California vacation, I didn't even notice the kid. Who gave him leave?

You noticed these things too, huh? But yeah, the guy SUCKS defensively and all that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I'm not sure exactly which 19 games you are talking about, but how about these games between OCT and DEC:

1st 6 games of the season, 3 of them he was a minus player and none of them was he a + player. He also went pointless.

Then his first pts and + game.... against Buffalo.

Then another -1 pointless game and an even pointless game, then hey look some more points and a + game..... against Toronto.

First 20 games:

-7 with 1g, 1a in 15 games against anyone not TOR, EDM or BUFF

3g, 6a, 9pts +9 in 5 games against BUFF, TOR and EDM

You have to get to game 24 against WPG before he gets a goal against a decent team. Then he's -4 with 1 assist in the next 3 games against good teams.

Then hey, it's ARI!!! So of course 2a and a +2

Oops here come good teams again- 5 pointless games with a -2.

Guess we need a trip to western NY! He gets 2g and 1a against BUFF and is +3.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure exactly which 19 games you are talking about, but how about these games between OCT and DEC:

1st 6 games of the season, 3 of them he was a minus player and none of them was he a + player. He also went pointless.

Then another -1 pointless game and an even pointless game, then hey look some more points and a + game..... against Toronto.

First 20 games:

You have to get to game 24 against WPG before he gets a goal against a decent team. Then he's -4 with 1 assist in the next 3 games against good teams.

this was Hamilton last year:amazed:.....yikes thanks for doing the research. wow

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

First 20 games:

But yeah we are drinking Kook-aid. :shakehead

Thanks for posting that. Hopefully it gives some insight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But yeah we are drinking Kook-aid. :shakehead

Thanks for posting that. Hopefully it gives some insight.

So you're saying it makes long term fundamental sense organizationally to move on from young players just as they're coming into their own? I mean, how many times can you hear the same old crap from this organization before you call ********? Kessel didn't want to be here and didn't work hard enough. Seguin didn't work hard enough and didn't want to play for the coach the way he requires. Hamilton didn't want to be here and didn't want to play the way the coach wanted. At what point do you have to turn the mirror inward and do some self introspection?

The stats provided above are all fine and good, but how do they compare to the rest of the team? Crunch those as well and then you'll have a far more context with regards to what those numbers really mean. As a standalone, those numbers are virtually meaningless.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just to add onto Dr. Quincy's point, this is Hamilton's breakdown vs. the bottom 4 teams (Buffalo - 4 games; Toronto - 3 games; Arizona - 2 games; Edmonton - 2 games).

vs. Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto

11 GP - 5 G, 12 A, 17 P, +14, 60.9 CF%

vs. the rest of the league

61 GP - 5 G, 20 A, 25 P, -17, 53.8 CF%

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just to add onto Dr. Quincy's point, this is Hamilton's breakdown vs. the bottom 4 teams (Buffalo - 4 games; Toronto - 3 games; Arizona - 2 games; Edmonton - 2 games).

vs. Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto

11 GP - 5 G, 12 A, 17 P, +14, 60.9 CF%

vs. the rest of the league

61 GP - 5 G, 20 A, 25 P, -17, 53.8 CF%

Again, that's great, but how does it compare to his peers on the Bruins roster and how did the team fair in those games as well? That's what gives the numbers context. I mean is it really surprising that he did better against weaker teams? Isn't that something you can say about the entire team as well, since they were terrible last season?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
So you're saying it makes long term fundamental sense organizationally to move on from young players just as they're coming into their own? I mean, how many times can you hear the same old crap from this organization before you call ********? Kessel didn't want to be here and didn't work hard enough. Seguin didn't work hard enough and didn't want to play for the coach the way he requires. Hamilton didn't want to be here and didn't want to play the way the coach wanted. At what point do you have to turn the mirror inward and do some self introspection?

The stats provided above are all fine and good, but how do they compare to the rest of the team? Crunch those as well and then you'll have a far more context with regards to what those numbers really mean. As a standalone, those numbers are virtually meaningless.

If a players agent doesn't respond to contract offers and will force the team into an offer sheet situation what do you really think is the best course of action? Force him to play? I'm critical on management for Seguin and that's it. That and Thornton were the mistakes, getting rid of Kessel worked out beautifully and the Hamilton trade will work out well too. Hamilton will be a great #3/solid #2 but he was already anointed as the Chara heir apparent which would have been disastrous down the road. You can say whatever you like but the only option is to look to the future, it's not like they can undo the trade. Sweeney got a better return than an offer sheet which was the eventual outcome.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Again, that's great, but how does it compare to his peers on the Bruins roster and how did the team fair in those games as well? That's what gives the numbers context. I mean is it really surprising that he did better against weaker teams? Isn't that something you can say about the entire team as well, since they were terrible last season?

He wasn't simply better against weaker teams, we was outright lousy against good teams.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If a players agent doesn't respond to contract offers and will force the team into an offer sheet situation what do you really think is the best course of action? Force him to play? I'm critical on management for Seguin and that's it. That and Thornton were the mistakes, getting rid of Kessel worked out beautifully and the Hamilton trade will work out well too. Hamilton will be a great #3/solid #2 but he was already anointed as the Chara heir apparent which would have been disastrous down the road. You can say whatever you like but the only option is to look to the future, it's not like they can undo the trade. Sweeney got a better return than an offer sheet which was the eventual outcome.

Kessel worked out beautifully, right up until they in turn dumped the return for him for scraps, you mean, right? And then they did it again with the Hamilton move. Hard to say dumping emerging NHL talent for futures is a smart move, IMO. They got lucky once with Seguin, but that doesn't mean they're going to hit with the pick they got for Hammy, and they got weaker for at least 2-3 years to boot.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

story told a few weeks after the draft whether true or not it was pretty amazing to me; the Bruins made multiple offers to Hamilton including one that is pretty much a bulls eye to the deal he signed with Calgary. But the story goes when the Bruins were not getting anywhere with their offers they panicked??? (not sure if that is applicable but they were somewhat spooked) they offered a 2 year deal at $13 M that was about a million more a year than he ended up with AND gave the Bruins no real advantage in relation to free agency. result? crickets and hence the trade

I don't think they were fundamentally moving on at all.

Also, I railed against Dougie here and was told I was too tough that this was a family decision and Dougie would have been fine here, there, or anywhere. He's 22 but his folks are quite involved and not many 20 year olds are famous and worth millions with access to what he had so made sense.

I give the Bruins a mulligan on this one.

And as for Seguin, its widely been speculated and pretty much confirmed the one detractor in the front office who had a say in that trade that was against it was Don Sweeney.

Kessel I could spend days on that but he wanted $5 M per with no bridge and there were issues with the head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad