Value of: Doughty to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
oooooh we got a snippy one here. You should only hope the leaf's core is as successful as the king's in the past 5 years. Two playoff wins and you're on top of the world. Superstars like doughty rarely just walk away from their teams in free agency

I do wish that. Very much.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
only way Doughty gets traded is if he wants out. you really can't trade guys like that from a management perspective.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Despite being too old, overpaid, and having no prospects or depth, LA fans are convinced their window hasn't completely closed (it has). Meaning they're still living under the delusion that a defender who will likely walk away from them in two years is somehow untouchable (he isn't).

Until they miss the playoffs next year, and realize Drew doesn't want to talk extensions "just yet", they'll be pretty stubborn in threads like this. I would be too.

The Kings have five forwards who are 30 or older (Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Gaborik, Lewis).

No defensemen who are 30 or older (unless you count Greene, who'll be on LTIR and likely done).

And their starting goalie is 31.

I forget that in HF, a players career is over at 30.

The Leafs have four forwards who are 30 or older. Two defensemen who were 30 or older, and a 27 year old goalie. I guess their cup window is ticking too? They have just as many 30+ year olds as the old Kings.

Someone bring up all of those "Penguins window has closed" discussions prior to 2016 and how the Penguins can't be contenders again unless they trade Malkin.

Or how about the Sharks who dominated their way to the Cup Final last year? I guess all of their 30+ guys shouldn't have bothered to even try and listened to the intellectuals on here. Or how about all of those 30+ year old Ducks. Why even try to win?

They should all aspire to be like the Leafs, a true model of success since 1967.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
so this is what fans do when their team is out of the playoffs?

there is no way doughty gets traded unless he specifically asks for one.

Don't act like you've forgotten! I mean, when you guys weren't salivating over your yearly 1OA, I know you guys conversed about options that could better the roster.

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Despite being too old, overpaid, and having no prospects or depth, LA fans are convinced their window hasn't completely closed (it has). Meaning they're still living under the delusion that a defender who will likely walk away from them in two years is somehow untouchable (he isn't).

Until they miss the playoffs next year, and realize Drew doesn't want to talk extensions "just yet", they'll be pretty stubborn in threads like this. I would be too.

You're right. The only sensible thing to do is to trade Doughty, Kopitar, Carter and Quick while they still have any semblance of value. Then we can land a bunch of terrific prospects and hope they one day become Doughty, Kopitar, Carter and Quick.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
How could the kings pass this up.... every one of torontos prospects is a top pairing or top 4 dmen, and their forwards all generational.

If you got 3 or 4 of those magic beans you guys would be set for a dynasty

Lets start the bidding at

Kapanen
Brown
Gardiner
and well even throw in an elite clutch top 5 (OF ALL TIME) winger in jvr.

SO WHAT SAY YOU KINGS

:laugh:

We can't lose!

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
You're right. The only sensible thing to do is to trade Doughty, Kopitar, Carter and Quick while they still have any semblance of value. Then we can land a bunch of terrific prospects and hope they one day become Doughty, Kopitar, Carter and Quick.

Don't forget trading and free agency.

Good luck. Hopefully it's not as miserable as it was for us.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With two years left at 7million per and the Kings having a fire sale of there management group, could a big change be made in LA. What is the chance the doughty is available and is he a good fit in Toronto? TSN 1050 talked about the potential of a deal happening. For the leafs they have to pay up big but its almsot a perfect fit. 2 more years left on doughty's contract meaning it expires right when you have to sign Matthews and some of the other big name rookies on the leafs. Obviously its a stretch for sure but the possibility COULD be there for a trade to happen. What do you guys think?

there is no fire sale

DD is their Key D and if the leafs want him the leafs will be giving up a player like Mitch Marner--

leaf fans will come runing that the Leafs are buying low---no they are not. The Kings did not miss the playoffs due to the play of their D--they lost it because of the fact their FWD could not score

DD is one of the best D in the league and the ask would be higher then any leaf fan would be will to play--he can play 25 to 30 minutes a night and is entering his prime

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
wow leave for a couple hours and this thread goes nuts lol OK as a king fan and i was pressed to make a trade with the leafs I would want Nylander Kadri and Gardnier for doughty greene and clifford

As most leaf know i have been asking for Kadri in any leaf deal. He is a good center to take over 2nd line with pearson and toffoli freeing carter to move to the right side of Kopitar and adding Nylander gives the kings dangerous top 6 Gardnier takes some of the mins left from drew However most of our defense is ready to increase there mins as well so everyone gets 2 more mins then normal to make up for drew leaving.

By no means do i expect this deal to go thru. Hell i expect oth sides to hate it , however i wouldn't get rid of Drew for anything less then this. Flame away

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Marner + Nylander/Rielly(depends how they try to build) + Warm body on defence + 1st + 2nd

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
So Toronto wants to get a top 10 D-man in the league, and not give up anything of significant value.

LA wants cheap entry level scoring because of their cap situation, but isn't willing to part with Muzzin or Doughty.

:laugh:

we're fine with trading Muzzin for scoring help, but in what world is it ok to trade a franchise dman, that your team can't perform without, for a cheap entry level forward?

AM34Fan

Apr 25, 2017
Toronto
With two years left at 7million per and the Kings having a fire sale of there management group, could a big change be made in LA. What is the chance the doughty is available and is he a good fit in Toronto? TSN 1050 talked about the potential of a deal happening. For the leafs they have to pay up big but its almsot a perfect fit. 2 more years left on doughty's contract meaning it expires right when you have to sign Matthews and some of the other big name rookies on the leafs. Obviously its a stretch for sure but the possibility COULD be there for a trade to happen. What do you guys think?
I'm very intrigued at this possibility. Look with the cap at a stalemate you don't no how long you have to be a cup contending team. Look at Chicago 8 years. Aquiring Drew Doughty makes this team a contender in my opinion. I believe Leafs and KIngs are great trade partners. KIngs need scoring I would offer... MItch Marner Jeremy Bracco Travis dermott and a first to get it done . What do you guys think. LEafs have a rare 2 first line rw. Take a position of strength and use it for there biggest glaring need . THis is from a hardcore leaf fan. If they wait on a stud D they may have wasted 2-3 contending years get it done now .

Last edited:

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Don't forget trading and free agency.

Good luck. Hopefully it's not as miserable as it was for us.

Believe me, when the time comes for the Kings to rebuild, it will absolutely be miserable. But that time isn't now, not with a 27 year old elite defenseman and a core that, while others imagine are pushing around walkers, are actually still in the prime of their careers.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Believe me, when the time comes for the Kings to rebuild, it will absolutely be miserable. But that time isn't now, not with a 27 year old elite defenseman and a core that, while others imagine are pushing around walkers, are actually still in the prime of their careers.

You have no cap space, no blue chip prospects, and no depth. You don't have enough skill up front, and you have no means of improving the situation. You are not Pittsburgh.

You're in this painful spot -- I remember it well -- where you have to convince yourself a coach's system is the reason you're not successful. You're about to spend the next two years chasing the absolute mediocrity of the 1st round appearance. Believe me, it's already miserable, you're just new at this.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Zero chance Doughty would return a player of Nylander/Matthews/Marner calibre. Look for what Chris Pronger went for, both times. Nothing but futures and B level prospects at the time.

Star players never return they're supposed value in a trade, that's just the nature of the beast.

You do know that at the time of the first trade that Lupul was viewed as a future 40G scorer, Smid was a blue chip prospect and a 1st is a 1st.

So you proved yourself wrong. An equivalent would be Nylander + Kapanen + 1st

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Marner + Nylander/Rielly(depends how they try to build) + Warm body on defence + 1st + 2nd

Which makes no sense for TO. Doughty is better than Rielly, but not Nylander+1st+2nd+another roster D better.

I put this in other threads...if the demand is what i just listed, i would like a Kings fan to put together an equal offer from any other team. So:

1 60+point winger/center young ELC player (Nylander)

1 young top pair #3 at worse Dman on a great contract (Rielly)

1st

2nd

Roster Dman.

Pick a team...fill that shopping list, see if said team jumps at it.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009

The prime of a career is not 30 years old, it's mid 20's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad