Value of: Doughty to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was thinking about this last night... not a trade right now, but that Doughty would likely find Toronto really tempting two years from now, when his contract is up. After all, it's a team on the rise, a team that badly needs a defenseman like him and it's his hometown (or close enough). I think that LA hiring John Stevens is a mistake, and a couple more years of underwhelming results, combined with what is liable to be a simple system that's not big on creativity, could push Doughty to leave a rapidly declining LA team and join an exciting team that, two years from now, might need only a Doughty to put them over the top.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
What's Doughty going to be asking for in 2 years? 10, 11 mil for 7 years? That's going to be a risky contract for whoever ends up with it. 30 is the worst age for the team to sign something like that, still in his prime but will get outbid unless you pay him through to 37.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was thinking about this last night... not a trade right now, but that Doughty would likely find Toronto really tempting two years from now, when his contract is up. After all, it's a team on the rise, a team that badly needs a defenseman like him and it's his hometown (or close enough). I think that LA hiring John Stevens is a mistake, and a couple more years of underwhelming results, combined with what is liable to be a simple system that's not big on creativity, could push Doughty to leave a rapidly declining LA team and join an exciting team that, two years from now, might need only a Doughty to put them over the top.

When Doughty's contract up I believe Matthews will be 21 and Kopitar will be 31? Need is glaring for everyone to see. We need a top pairing (ideally right handed defenseman) someone like Doughty who can control the play to go with our talented forwards (who are gaining tons of experience) = A good chance at a cup.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Even a Norris winner like Doughty will be underrated in a leaf topic.
In reality only Matthews has value that could compare with Doughty. Yet to leaf fans it's several players.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
In reality only Matthews has value that could compare with Doughty. Yet to leaf fans it's several players.

Oh definately if Leafs want Doughty they will have to give up a Nylander or Marner + for sure... Makes zero sense for Leafs to do that... Leafs would never, but thats what it would cost

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Yet 60 point rookies seem to be a dime a dozen. And in reality, no team would trade 19 year old 40 goal Auston Matthews for Doughty. And that's not a knock on Doughty, but a 19 year old 2 way C putting up 40 goals 69 points in his rookie season doesn't get traded....for anything...in reality.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Would have to be Marner/Nylander + Rielly at minimum. Would give the leafs an elite #1C and elite #1D, but I doubt a deal like this happens. Especially when you factor in the age of Doughty and his contract status. Just doesn't make much sense.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yet 60 point rookies seem to be a dime a dozen. And in reality, no team would trade 19 year old 40 goal Auston Matthews for Doughty. And that's not a knock on Doughty, but a 19 year old 2 way C putting up 40 goals 69 points in his rookie season doesn't get traded....for anything...in reality.
I said only Matthews has similar value. Marner and Nylander are not even close to Doughty in value. 2-way C? Geez.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Zero chance Doughty would return a player of Nylander/Matthews/Marner calibre. Look for what Chris Pronger went for, both times. Nothing but futures and B level prospects at the time.

Star players never return they're supposed value in a trade, that's just the nature of the beast.

That first deal was for
Lupul 1st#7 was 22-23 yrs old
Smid 1st#9 was 20-21 yrs old
2 more 1st round picks
and a 2nd round pick

Basically, 4 1st round picks and a 2nd.

Not sure either were "B" prospects. Lupul had just come off 28 goal 25 assist NHL season.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Unbiased fan here.

No chance doughty is moved but if he was it would cost something along the lines of:

Marner
2018 1st
2019 1st
B level prospect

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
so this is what fans do when their team is out of the playoffs?

there is no way doughty gets traded unless he specifically asks for one.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not good because Nylander is worth more then all 4 things combined. Try to educate yourself about our players and what Nylander has accomplished this year. Great season and post-season.

Outscored all of your players minus Carter, barely.

So yeah, Nylander has tremendous value, he's still on his ELC.

If you have ideas on how to improve upon the trade, make a tangible contribution or else beat it.

Maybe you should educate yourself on why your offer is profoundly stupid and nonsensical and only benefits the Leafs. I didn't say Nylander doesn't have value, it's the rest of the pile of crap that you included that is a joke. My example was to reiterate how silly you suggestion was.

So the Kings will get rid of one of the best defensemen in the game, the one player who makes their blueline as strong as it is, a player capable of playing half a game, for a forward and a bunch of scraps? Yeah, I'm sure an undersized Carrick who averages about 16 minutes is going to balance things out. Oh better yet, they really could use a useless healthy scratch as well. That'll really convince the Kings to trade a Norris caliber defenseman with two Stanley Cups and two Olympic medals.

For the sake of sanity, I should probably refrain from providing any input in these silly discussions. Look at all the time Leafs fans wasted on their fantasy scenarios involving Steven Stamkos last summer. Now we get to witness the same stupidity with Doughty and any time an Ontario born player is about to become a UFA.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Also if Doughty was to be made available I'm 100percent certain there would be a bidding war between 20 or more teams !

So if the leafs aren't prepared to include marner and 2 1st rnd draft picks as the start of negotiations then there's going to be plenty of others teams that would pony up.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Show me a trade in which players like Nylander and Rielly were traded for 1 player....

I don't think LA could get both, but for anyone citing Pronger or Kesler, both those guys wanted out. Once that occurs, you're not going to get a 1 for 1 value.

Honestly, ask yourself this as well. How many top level UFA have left their teams?

And by this, I mean Doughty calibre, Stamkos, the top player on a team?

Parise left NJ to return home and got a huge front loaded deal. Same with Suter. Those deals don't exist anymore.

Crosby's draft class of 2005 turns 30 in 2017. Over the coming years, how many of the 2006-2009 draft classes' top players are going to switch teams?

Stamkos, Kane, Benn, all stayed.

Will Tavares leave? Would OEL?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The video was posted on tsn.ca and it is so far removed from "speculation". This was three guys getting paid to talk and generate conversation.

"Hey, the Leafs could be better on the blue line. Let's throw darts at names. I'll start with Doughty. The Kings are rebuilding. Maybe they'd part with Drew? He's from the area, London (like London is remotely close to being in the same "area" as Toronto).

Nothing but verbal diarrhea.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
This thread is mired in fantasy land....Realistically,the Leafs should be going all out in drafting and developing their own D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad