Value of: Doughty to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe you should educate yourself on why your offer is profoundly stupid and nonsensical and only benefits the Leafs. I didn't say Nylander doesn't have value, it's the rest of the pile of crap that you included that is a joke. My example was to reiterate how silly you suggestion was.

So the Kings will get rid of one of the best defensemen in the game, the one player who makes their blueline as strong as it is, a player capable of playing half a game, for a forward and a bunch of scraps? Yeah, I'm sure an undersized Carrick who averages about 16 minutes is going to balance things out. Oh better yet, they really could use a useless healthy scratch as well. That'll really convince the Kings to trade a Norris caliber defenseman with two Stanley Cups and two Olympic medals.

For the sake of sanity, I should probably refrain from providing any input in these silly discussions. Look at all the time Leafs fans wasted on their fantasy scenarios involving Steven Stamkos last summer. Now we get to witness the same stupidity with Doughty and any time an Ontario born player is about to become a UFA.

And yet the common denominator is that you love to appear in threads involving the Leafs.

Nylander is a great piece for the trade. A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick last time I checked and pretty much mandatory in any trade.

Carrick is a right handed shot and can play on the 2nd-3rd pairing for the Kings, age means he'll be apart of the team moving forward as the Kings transition.

Marincin/Marchenko - Cap balancers.

What else needs to be included? Maybe an extra 1st rounder or something. Certainly never seen a player return 2 players like Marner and Rielly in 1 deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How could the kings pass this up.... every one of torontos prospects is a top pairing or top 4 dmen, and their forwards all generational.

If you got 3 or 4 of those magic beans you guys would be set for a dynasty

Lets start the bidding at

Kapanen
Brown
Gardiner
and well even throw in an elite clutch top 5 (OF ALL TIME) winger in jvr.

SO WHAT SAY YOU KINGS

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Yeah if you're going to re-tool, why move your best player and the one guy who can play at a high level for longer than the rest of your core...

I mean, would be amazing for T.O., as a leafs fan I would love it. But Matthews is untouchable.

As much as I think Nylander has improved and been very good for us, I would be willing to part with him in a blockbuster deal - but he's not enough for Doughty. What would the deal be?

Nylander + Gardiner + 1st? I don't think the Kings bite.

Don't think that gets LA's interest. The Leafs would have to swap Reilly in place of Gardiner to get serious but at that price it may not be worth it. The one good thing is if Toronto did somehow swing a deal for Drew I feel he would re-sign and stay near home.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Yeah not really sure what leafs fans are expecting here.... Asking for Reilly and nylander is far from unreasonable however I get if both sides would say no. Players of doughty's caliber dont get traded.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah not really sure what leafs fans are expecting here.... Asking for Reilly and nylander is far from unreasonable however I get if both sides would say no. Players of doughty's caliber dont get traded.

I actually think asking for reilly and nylander is right up there in value of what it would cost, and I feel like that would be worth it from a Toronto perspective

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
So Toronto wants to get a top 10 D-man in the league, and not give up anything of significant value.

LA wants cheap entry level scoring because of their cap situation, but isn't willing to part with Muzzin or Doughty.

:laugh:

Laugh at yourself since your off base. Most King fans know we would need to move Muzzin or Amart to help with young scoring. Only a total idiot would move Doughty to help with a scoring forward, as soon as Drew was moved our defense becomes average at best.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
<snip>

For the sake of sanity, I should probably refrain from providing any input in these silly discussions. Look at all the time Leafs fans wasted on their fantasy scenarios involving Steven Stamkos last summer. Now we get to witness the same stupidity with Doughty and any time an Ontario born player is about to become a UFA.

With all due respect, Stamkos was part of the problem. His tweets about the Leafs and Toronto as well as his comments sure to heck indicated it was a possibility. Though I believe his motives were purely selfish to get more $$ out of Tampa.

Most Leafs fan realize the lure to "come home" are not factors in UFA's or their agents minds. Hell, that seems to be the trend for years with all Canadian teams.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Most fans *get it* in terms of the cost.

Nylander
1st round pick

Just guessing here but imagine that Los Angeles would want Carrick in the deal to get them a good young defenseman

So add Carrick

to make the money work and everything for the Leafs, we add 1 of Marincin/Marchenko

Nylander
1st
Carrick
Marchenko/Marincin

Not trying to insult but how is this for a conversation starter?

If we was moving Doughty many teams would beat your offer. Remove the last two pieces and add Reilly and then your in the conversation.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
This type of trade makes zero sense for toronto. If I were a Toronto fan I would start much, much lower than Doughty.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Laugh at yourself since your off base. Most King fans know we would need to move Muzzin or Amart to help with young scoring. Only a total idiot would move Doughty to help with a scoring forward, as soon as Drew was moved our defense becomes average at best.

I mean what better way to start your rebuild then moving doughty :sarcasm::naughty::nod:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
According to capfriendly Doughty does not have a NMC/NTC.
Not that it matters because he's not being traded, I just find that weird.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
And yet the common denominator is that you love to appear in threads involving the Leafs.

Nylander is a great piece for the trade. A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick last time I checked and pretty much mandatory in any trade.

Carrick is a right handed shot and can play on the 2nd-3rd pairing for the Kings, age means he'll be apart of the team moving forward as the Kings transition.

Marincin/Marchenko - Cap balancers.

What else needs to be included? Maybe an extra 1st rounder or something. Certainly never seen a player return 2 players like Marner and Rielly in 1 deal.

That's because teams do not just trade one of the best defenseman in the league.

Toronto can definitely use a great defenseman, the problem is going for Doughty is too rich. LA is not going to give up Doughty for a good young forward prospect and a couple okay defenseman, even if there is a late first thrown in there. LA would also definitely want a good young defenseman back in the deal as well.

A deal that would ship out Nylander or Marner + Morgan Reilly + 1 or 2 first rounds ++ does not make sense for Toronto.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
What was the rumoured ask from the Habs (to Edmonton) for Subban? Draisaitl, Klefbom, and a 1st.

So take that as your benchmark and add a whole lot more.

Doughty isn't being moved for anything less.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Certainly never seen a player return 2 players like Marner and Rielly in 1 deal.

How often do you see a defenseman like Doughty move when he's still in his prime? He's 27 right now and will be 29 when he's eligible to become a UFA. Subban was dealt in what was perceived to be a lateral move by Habs management. In recent times, that's the only name I could compare him to, and I don't see a Weber like equivalent being offered up for Drew, nor do I anticipate the Kings entertaining the thought of making such a lateral move for an older player.

According to capfriendly Doughty does not have a NMC/NTC.
Not that it matters because he's not being traded, I just find that weird.

It's because he signed that contract after the expiration of his ELC. He signed his 8-year extension in 2011, and likely didn't need to worry about a NTC or NMC.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How often do you see a defenseman like Doughty move when he's still in his prime? He's 27 right now and will be 29 when he's eligible to become a UFA. Subban was dealt in what was perceived to be a lateral move by Habs management. In recent times, that's the only name I could compare him to, and I don't see a Weber like equivalent being offered up for Drew, nor do I anticipate the Kings entertaining the thought of making such a lateral move for an older player.

It's because he signed that contract after the expiration of his ELC. He signed his 8-year extension in 2011, and likely didn't need to worry about a NTC or NMC.

Chris Pronger would be the last defenseman.

Price was 2 1sts, a prospect and player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Chris Pronger would be the last defenseman.

Price was 2 1sts, a prospect and player.

And that was over a decade ago, and Pronger was in his 30s.

If Drew Doughty wanted out and refused to sign an extension, then I could see a similar return, or he could set a new precedent in what type of return he nets.

But he has said he wants to be a leader on the Kings, he has relished the thought of taking on a leadership role on the roster, and he wants to get this team back on top. I can't imagine him bailing out, and I'm sure the Kings will be proactive in trying to get him re-signed well before July 1, 2019.

The Kings can start talking extension with him come next summer, and they could offer him a longer term deal that'll keep him as an LA King until he's 37. And even then he will more than likely still be a productive player.

The only way the Kings consider moving Doughty is if he wants out, and there's been no reason to think that he does.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Despite being too old, overpaid, and having no prospects or depth, LA fans are convinced their window hasn't completely closed (it has). Meaning they're still living under the delusion that a defender who will likely walk away from them in two years is somehow untouchable (he isn't).

Until they miss the playoffs next year, and realize Drew doesn't want to talk extensions "just yet", they'll be pretty stubborn in threads like this. I would be too.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Despite being too old, overpaid, and having no prospects or depth, LA fans are convinced their window hasn't completely closed (it has). Meaning they're still living under the delusion that a defender who will likely walk away from them in two years is somehow untouchable (he isn't).

Until they miss the playoffs next year, and realize Drew doesn't want to talk extensions "just yet", they'll be pretty stubborn in threads like this. I would be too.

oooooh we got a snippy one here. You should only hope the leaf's core is as successful as the king's in the past 5 years. Two playoff wins and you're on top of the world. Superstars like doughty rarely just walk away from their teams in free agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad