Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Many still believe he is being traded before the season starts, loosing an A seems like a sane thought in comparison.
Leafs organization wanting to move on from him, and Marner still here for a various amount of reasons including NMC are 2 different things.

I can't believe many Leaf Fans thought Marner would co-operate and accept a trade, but rather force his will upon the team.

I also can't image there were very many teams interested in Marner at his asking price of +$12 mil nor perhaps even including his own. As there isn't a single report I've read that stated Treliving's priority was to re-sign him, nor anything from Marner and his agent Farris that contract talks are underway. Perhaps I missed those reports, but would be interested to see any links provided to suggest otherwise,

What we have he is a "Stalemate" as they would say in Chess. A situation in which further action or progress by opposing or competing parties seems impossible, until the Status Quo changes.

Marner is under contract for this next season, holding control of the situation due to a past now fired GM. So we will have to see how this plays out.

However if the "A" was removed from his jersey and given to another player instead, the sign of times may be a changing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is what we do know in regards to the Leaders and letters prior to the change ..

John Tavares was the Captain with the "C" and Morgan Rielly also wore a "A" as his assistant.

The NHL only allows three players to wear a letter on the front of their jersey in any respective game. Matthews and Marner had alternated between the two wearing the 'A' simply to keep the peace in TO.

With Matthews now being promoted to Captain and Tavares already told he would be wearing an A on his jersey, something is going to have to change from last year now.

1723900949159.png
1723901277755.png

Marner was already only a part-time player wearing a letter.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He may lose his a A but it’s just a numbers game if it happens. Not sure I see a Rielly/Marner rotation for the second A making a lot of sense.

That's still not somebody losing a letter. That's somebody different alternating their letter.

It could be. There’s no word yet on whether the last A will be rotated.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Do you think something out of date answers the question "is it still happening"?
There was a discussion where a clarification was asked whether you thought or you hoped that he would be moved. There were a few smart ones that specified it was their hope, not their expectation, which is fair enough. The overwhelming majority of the move marner hopefuls stuck to their guns for a long time... that he would be moved. We are in August now. Of course nobody is going to think he is getting moved before opening day The hot takes that he would, occured well past the draft.
The excuse that nobody wanted him is the latest turd being flouted around

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Considering that the thread has been closed for almost a month, I'm not sure it answers the question "Who is still “believing” he’s traded before the season?" Also, from reading the posts, it's pretty obvious that a lot of the people who said he would be traded were actually hoping he would be traded rather than expecting it.
No reason for beliefs to change, it’s still the off season.
Not surprised some were confused by a simple question, seems a lot of what goes on with the team they find confusing.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Not surprised some were confused by a simple question, seems a lot of what goes on with the team they find confusing.
Unlike some people, many of us change our position as new evidence emerges. Being as time is quickly running out I’m betting not many still think he will be traded by the start of the season. Many of us have reluctantly come to grips that the Leafs will be starting the season with the same core 5 that can’t seem to get it done

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This is what we do know in regards to the Leaders and letters prior to the change ..

John Tavares was the Captain with the "C" and Morgan Rielly also wore a "A" as his assistant.

The NHL only allows three players to wear a letter on the front of their jersey in any respective game. Matthews and Marner had alternated between the two wearing the 'A' simply to keep the peace in TO.

With Matthews now being promoted to Captain and Tavares already told he would be wearing an A on his jersey, something is going to have to change from last year now.

View attachment 901562 View attachment 901563

Marner was already only a part-time player wearing a letter.
That’s because he only put in an effort part of the time…………this was too easy

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
wtf did marner do to even get the "A" in teh first place? there is no way he should be keeping the "A". he should not be on the team either and should be traded

Reactions: LeafSteel

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There was a discussion where a clarification was asked whether you thought or you hoped that he would be moved. There were a few smart ones that specified it was their hope, not their expectation, which is fair enough. The overwhelming majority of the move marner hopefuls stuck to their guns for a long time... that he would be moved. We are in August now. Of course nobody is going to think he is getting moved before opening day The hot takes that he would, occured well past the draft.
The excuse that nobody wanted him is the latest turd being flouted around
None of which is relevant to my post.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think it's unreasonable to consider it less likely as the deadline approaches.

But I agree there are a few posters here who won't change their opinion despite overwhelming evidence.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Your own thread, with voting closed May 13th, well before the Draft and open of UFA.

Try a new poll now asking if Marner is traded before the start of the season and let’s see where the chips fall on that one.

Does Lambert pick a guy like Marner as an A over guys like McCabe and Tanev? :)
Not a chance.

Reactions: LeafSteel

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Tavares nor Reilly should be rotating after being full time. Maybe they can still rotate Matthews and Marner. C + 2 As home games, 3 As away games. Then they wouldn't have to slight anyone!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad