Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Rotating “letters” amongst different players is a joke. Pick your leaders and stick with them until they are no longer leaders. Anything other than that is just a participation award.
You get an A, you get an A, you get an A……..everyone gets an A

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Rotating “letters” amongst different players is a joke. Pick your leaders and stick with them until they are no longer leaders. Anything other than that is just a participation award.
Yeah I agree. The big change has been done, its not like we have Scott Stevens to give to.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's a very Toronto thing to do.

Reactions: Racer88

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was simply a Marner thing to do, not to upset him, and very much a Dubas thing to do.

Auston got a letter so Mitch had to get one also, despite most NORMAL teams give them out to their players with strong leadership abilities and also follow the NHL guidelines of only 3 players allowed to wear a letter in a game..

So Dubas came up with Auston will wear it on the road and Mitch will wear it at home in some silly rotation system, simply to keep peace for the Inmates running the Asylum.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It was simply a Marner thing to do, not to upset him, and very much a Dubas thing to do.

Auston got a letter so Mitch had to get one also, despite most NORMAL teams give them out to their players with strong leadership abilities and also follow the NHL guidelines of only 3 players allowed to wear a letter in a game..

So Dubas came up with Auston will wear it on the road and Mitch will wear it at home in some silly rotation system, simply to keep peace for the Inmates running the Asylum.
Seems like something a group of middle school kids would do.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It was simply a Marner thing to do, not to upset him, and very much a Dubas thing to do. Auston got a letter so Mitch had to get one also, despite most NORMAL teams give them out to their players with strong leadership abilities and also follow the NHL guidelines of only 3 players allowed to wear a letter in a game.. So Dubas came up with Auston will wear it on the road and Mitch will wear it at home in some silly rotation system, simply to keep peace for the Inmates running the Asylum.
We've had 3 or more alternate captains since before Dubas. In fact, we've had 3+ alternate captains every single year since 2014-2015, and in all but 2 years in the cap era. Marner got a letter for the same reasons as everybody else - because he is a player with strong leadership abilities, and he earned it.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

I agree with this. Marner is a grown man and looked at like a God so I’m sure his ego can handle not having an A on his jersey

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

Auston got a letter so Mitch had to get one also,
despite most NORMAL teams give them out to their players with strong leadership abilities and also follow the NHL guidelines of only 3 players allowed to wear a letter in a game..

When was this ever verified? Or are we guessing this is what happened?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
When was this ever verified? Or are we guessing this is what happened?

All you have to do is listen to what Zach Bogosian said. Mitch goes out of his way to take care of everyone on the team and especially the new guys. He is very much a glue guy. I think the criticism of Mitch’s play is fair but people knocking his leadership abilities honestly don’t have a clue. We have players who were in the dressing room telling us he is a fantastic leader and good locker room guy.

Mitch has a letter because he is legitimately a leader in the room whether people like it or not.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok I'll say it despite there being zero evidence for it - there is NOTHING about Marner that exudes "leader" to me. Everything from his demeanor, to his interviews, to how he handles the media, and everything else, I do not see one iota of leadership in this kid.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, whatever. And not everybody is a leader anyway, so it's not like this is a sleight against him or anything.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I bet he's a great teammate.

On his next team, he'll be quickly in the running for an A.

We simply cannot afford him.

This core needs change.

A 50% change in JT's salary is NOT enough.

I don’t disagree at all. The way the team is built it’s not sustainable. It’s nothing to do with Mitch as a player but he’s expiring so it makes sense to let him go.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ok I'll say it despite there being zero evidence for it - there is NOTHING about Marner that exudes "leader" to me. Everything from his demeanor, to his interviews, to how he handles the media, and everything else, I do not see one iota of leadership in this kid.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, whatever. And not everybody is a leader anyway, so it's not like this is a sleight against him or anything.

Leadership is exemplified in many ways. There are guys who lead on the ice, there are guys who lead off the ice. You also have guys who do both. From the interviews I’ve watched, it sounds like Marner goes out of his way to ensure every guy in the lockeroom is included in activities off-ice, feels heard/seen, feels comfortable in the room and he goes out of his way to help the new guys feel welcomed and get settled in Toronto. He also wants to win and is pretty vocal about that in the room (according to both ROR, Bogosian, Matthews and Rielly) That is leadership. You can question his skill, but he seems like a pretty high character guy. So are those guys who spent day in and day out with him lying and you watching from the TV telling the truth?

It’s silly that people are holding onto what maybe his Dad said in the media (6/7 years ago) or what his dumbass agent says in the media as Mitch’s words.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leadership is exemplified in many ways. There are guys who lead on the ice, there are guys who lead off the ice. You also have guys who do both. From the interviews I’ve watched, it sounds like Marner goes out of his way to ensure every guy in the lockeroom is included in activities off-ice, feels heard/seen, feels comfortable in the room and he goes out of his way to help the new guys feel welcomed and get settled in Toronto. He also wants to win and is pretty vocal about that in the room (according to both ROR, Bogosian, Matthews and Rielly) That is leadership. You can question his skill, but he seems like a pretty high character guy. So are those guys who spent day in and day out with him lying and you watching from the TV telling the truth?

It’s silly that people are holding onto what maybe his Dad said in the media (6/7 years ago) or what his dumbass agent says in the media as Mitch’s words.
Eh I suppose that sounds fair. He'd definitely be more in the category of the "off ice" type of leader IMO. He seems like an easy kid to get along with and make friends with.

If more of his high character attributes could translate into some more intensity in the playoffs that'd be fantastic.

Reactions: bax and francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Eh I suppose that sounds fair. He'd definitely be more in the category of the "off ice" type of leader IMO. He seems like an easy kid to get along with and make friends with.

If more of his high character attributes could translate into some more intensity in the playoffs that'd be fantastic.

For whatever reason it hasn’t at this point and I understand that frustration. I just hope for everyone’s sake he figures it out. Even if it’s his last PO run as a leaf

Even for me as much as I want him to take that step, you look at our cap structure and it’s just how can we make that happen here. It doesn’t seem likely. I think he walks as a UFA tbh, they reallocate the cap dollars to more forwards.

Reactions: IPS and bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
For whatever reason it hasn’t at this point and I understand that frustration. I just hope for everyone’s sake he figures it out. Even if it’s his last PO run as a leaf

Even for me as much as I want him to take that step, you look at our cap structure and it’s just how can we make that happen here. It doesn’t seem likely. I think he walks as a UFA tbh, they reallocate the cap dollars to more forwards.
I still think they figure out a way to get it done. Him and Matthews have both said multiple times that they want to do amazing things here and I don’t believe going out in the first round every year was what they meant. Tavares will either be off the books or his new lesser contract will have kicked in at the same time. I don’t see Marner going anywhere.

Reactions: francis246

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
I still think they figure out a way to get it done. Him and Matthews have both said multiple times that they want to do amazing things here and I don’t believe going out in the first round every year was what they meant. Tavares will either be off the books or his new lesser contract will have kicked in at the same time. I don’t see Marner going anywhere.

When has their word ever meant anything?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They have had 7-8 years to figure out the playoff and hasn’t made a single improvement in the playoffs so I don’t see how they are going to to magically change now.

Reactions: bax and IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Wagers: 2