Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Despite his lack of post season production, I don't boo players with one of the best talent levels I've seen in a leafs uniform. It's not like he was in waffle gate or something. Have I soured on him as a player yeah. As a person worthy of booing, no.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Despite his lack of post season production, I don't boo players with one of the best talent levels I've seen in a leafs uniform. It's not like he was in waffle gate or something. Have I soured on him as a player yeah. As a person worthy of booing, no.
Good post.

Talent level is not debatable. He's a quality player.

But i think with a hard cap, you need to find the correct skill mix balanced with cap hit. Marner, at his cap hit, I believe is a luxury and not a centre piece to build the team around. Maybe if we didn't have Willy I'd feel differently.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Lol.

Why would a team that would not be interested in signing Marner with a large cap hit be interested in trading and losing assets for Marner and taking on a contract with a large cap hit?
I was speaking from Marner's perspective, he's better off signing now with the Leafs than being laughed at in the summer when he goes looking for a cap hit % as higher or greater than he's currently making. But ill address your point, a sign and trade provides a solution to all sides as far as Marner not taking a paycut but still being viable to other teams. The Leafs could sign him and retain 2-3 million to get some sort of worthwhile return. Personally i think we're better off letting him walk but that wont play out so grear for Money Mitch.

Not worth it in what sense? The NHL has determined that a players worth is relative to HHR. The discussion of worth, is a dollars and cents discussion. Any business look's to make their margins on revenue, MLSE is no different, entertainers are no different. Mitch , AM, Rielly, etc. are all franchisee's of MLSE Inc.. The players look at the revenues of the Leafs and ask how much am I worth to their bottom line? I have a skill that brings in the $$$ for MLSE so I should be compensated accordingly.

The Leafs in 2022-23 brought in $281 mil in revenue, Mitch made $10.9 mil or 3.88% of the Leafs over all revenue. Over the same period Bolts brought in $196mil, Kucherov made $9.5mil or 4.85% of the Bolts revenue. So when you say Marner is not worth his 10.9 mil, relative to the % of the bottom line he is worth $10.9 mil. "Worth" is a financial metric that you can actually measure. The way you used it is a loose term that in a business sense does not track. Is he worth it, from a % of revenue yes he is worth it.

You can argue that where a player contract is only for the regular season and Mitch has performed above 99.9% of his peers, has he performed to his contract, yep 100%. Players dont get paid for the playoffs, they are compensated from a playoff bonus pool based on how far the team goes. generally speaking most fans on this forum are complaining about Marner's playoff performance, using his contract as a cudgel, linking the two together, when in reality there is no link between a players contract and playoffs. In reality his playoff performance has not been poor, a PPG player over the last 3 playoffs, it has however not been elite and I think fans are looking for elite performance, similar to the regular season standards he set.

As a fan Im only concerned as to what value we get vs the salary cap. Everything you wrote just re affirms that his salary is not worthy of the cap hit % it carries. Also, it meams he won't be worth 10.916 to the other teams out there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He ain't watching you anymore. That for sure. You call him Mr Marner when you see him now or does he not slum it with the riff raff that pretended to be all that yet he exceeded in net worth when he started shaving the peace fuzz off his face?
I haven't seen Mitch or Paul in awhile outside of a waive here and there at Scotia .. but Mitch is a good kid, was always happy and trying his best and I'm sure his personality did not change .. glad for family that they got their $$$$$ .. once you have FU $$$$$ life gets a ton easier .. like I said it is not Mitch's fault that Dumb*ss and ding dong overpaid him

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You really think this is meaningful? :laugh:

Shirley you can do better than this. :help:

Since 2019 he's ahead of all but McDavid and Mackinnon in points.

You mean as far as Canadian born players only McDavid and MacKinnon are ahead of him?

I wonder if Mitch played more ES/PP time if he would be closer to MacKinnon. Mackinnon plays about 2:30 per game more on ES and PP.

RkNameBornPosGPGAPPIM+/-TOIESPPSHG/60A/60P/60ESG/60ESA/60ESP/60PPG/60PPA/60PPP/60G/GPA/GPP/GP
1Connor McDavid1997F35820740361015910021:5817:423:480:271.583.084.651.362.063.432.567.9710.530.581.131.70
3Nathan MacKinnon1995F33518031749716312121:4117:304:070:031.492.624.101.342.063.402.135.047.170.540.951.48
7Mitchell Marner1997F335127288415988921:2516:033:152:061.062.413.471.002.073.081.595.336.920.380.861.24

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I was speaking from Marner's perspective, he's better off signing now with the Leafs than being laughed at in the summer when he goes looking for a cap hit % as higher or greater than he's currently making. But ill address your point, a sign and trade provides a solution to all sides as far as Marner not taking a paycut but still being viable to other teams. The Leafs could sign him and retain 2-3 million to get some sort of worthwhile return. Personally i think we're better off letting him walk but that wont play out so grear for Money Mitch.

As a fan Im only concerned as to what value we get vs the salary cap. Everything you wrote just re affirms that his salary is not worthy of the cap hit % it carries. Also, it meams he won't be worth 10.916 to the other teams out there.

How so?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Brayden Point took a bridge 2nd contract (AFTER) Marner had signed his GREEDY UFA contract.

View attachment 899808

Then Point backed that up by leading the 2020 and 2021 in playoff goals with 14 each season and Tampa Bay hoisting the Stanley Cup both seasons.

View attachment 899813

Meanwhile Marner put Himself $$$ before the TEAM, and while Point was leading his team to Stanley Cups. Mitch Marner was going goalless and struggling in the playoffs with Leafs losing embarrassingly to Columbus and Montreal.

View attachment 899816

While Point @ $6.75 mil AAV [28 goals 56 points] on his new contract in the first 2 years outscoring Marner @ $10.9 mil AAV [0 goals 8 points].

Clearly Team Canada based on the press release was looking for players and proven winners and those that put TEAM before themselves.

The clear point you are missing is the Leafs did not have to sign Mitch, if they felt his contract would be a strain on the team, they could have traded him. I dont understand why, when the GM mismanages the cap, like signing a 2nd line center to a 11 mil contract, its other players responsibility to take less to correct the GM's mismanagement.

What does a players cap or salary have to do with the playoffs? Point was leading his team to the Stanley Cup? Equivocating the teams two situations is limited in rational thought, at best. Tell me when did the Leaf's have a goalie the calibre of Vas or a dman the quality of Hedman or a Coach the pedigree of Cooper? You're implying that Mitch's and Point's salary difference is the reason why Tampa won the Cup shows a real lack of depth in thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1723153061690.png

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I dont understand why, when the GM mismanages the cap, like signing a 2nd line center to a 11 mil contract, it is the players responsibility to take less to correct their mismanagement.

I get what you are saying and don’t disagree with the point, but there is zero argument against Tavares being a 1st line center at the time we signed him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Brayden Point took a bridge 2nd contract (AFTER) Marner had signed his GREEDY UFA contract.

View attachment 899808

Then Point backed that up by leading the 2020 and 2021 in playoff goals with 14 each season and Tampa Bay hoisting the Stanley Cup both seasons.

View attachment 899813

Meanwhile Marner put Himself $$$ before the TEAM, and while Point was leading his team to Stanley Cups. Mitch Marner was going goalless and struggling in the playoffs with Leafs losing embarrassingly to Columbus and Montreal.

View attachment 899816

While Point @ $6.75 mil AAV [28 goals 56 points] on his new contract in the first 2 years outscoring Marner @ $10.9 mil AAV [0 goals 8 points].

Clearly Team Canada based on the press release was looking for players and proven winners and those that put TEAM before themselves.

This just in: bridge deal costs less than long term deal.

Shocking

Jul 10, 2003
KW

On ice performance, playoff performances, this is where you live up to your contract. But the Leafs org and star players prioritize dollars and that is their idea of success. Not so much to the fans.

You’ve explained Why he’s worth his money to the Leafs org, how much will he be worth to less profitable teams?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I get what you are saying and don’t disagree with the point, but there is zero argument against Tavares being a 1st line center at the time we signed him.
He certainly was a 1st line center but we were always going to use him as a 2nd line center. So signing him was not much different than signing a top 5 goalie to an 8 million dollar 7 year deal and then using him as our backup.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Do the 212 who voted that he would be moved this off season still believe that? Any others like to change their vote?
We have what, Six weeks to go?

View attachment 899837

Not sure if I voted on that - if I did before free agency I probably would have voted yes.

I think Marner should have been traded before his NMC kicked in - I personally would have moved him (and Keefe) after MTL.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He certainly was a 1st line center but we were always going to use him as a 2nd line center. So signing him was not much different than signing a top 5 goalie to an 8 million dollar 7 year deal and then using him as our backup.

Yep, exactly, look at Pittsburgh for example, drafting Malkin was dumb, if you have two first-line Cs you are guaranteed to lose.

That analogy makes no sense... backups don't play... Tavares gets 1st line C minutes.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I haven't seen Mitch or Paul in awhile outside of a waive here and there at Scotia .. but Mitch is a good kid, was always happy and trying his best and I'm sure his personality did not change .. glad for family that they got their $$$$$ .. once you have FU $$$$$ life gets a ton easier .. like I said it is not Mitch's fault that Dumb*ss and ding dong overpaid him
It's the new GM's responsibility to correct that oversight and not compound Dubas' ineptness.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If Marner got announced alongside Crosby, McDavid, Mack, Makar as a player Team Canada is going to "build around", you can bet it'd all of a sudden mean a whole hell of a lot, there'd most definitely be some posters (not saying it'd be you) who'd be tickled pink by it and let everyone else know.
Is this about that silly four nation cup…….what the hel$ is that anyway?
An excuse to generate more money

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Agreed but he played on the 2nd line. The money could have been spent wiser and brought in a decent 2nd line center less than JT signed for. Naz was a perfect 2nd liner but the media ran him out of town after his Sideshow Bob routines in the playoffs.

On ice performance, playoff performances, this is where you live up to your contract. But the Leafs org and star players prioritize dollars and that is their idea of success. Not so much to the fans.

You’ve explained Why he’s worth his money to the Leafs org, how much will he be worth to less profitable teams?

What does his playoff performance and his contract have to do with each other?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad