Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Addition by subtraction. Look at Florida with and without Huberdeau & Weegar. They certainly didn't rebuild to do it

I remember being ridiculed for saying Dubas missed big by not getting that done, and paying more for Foligno instead
If I have two apples and take two away I have no apples. That is an example of subtraction. Nothing more. There is no addition here. The phrase makes no sense at all.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This one will be on Keefe and the players for not starting on time. By players I mean the core guys. Nylander/Matthews/Marner were dog shit to start the 2nd period, and that ultimately cost us the game.

Dubas has built a very good roster and given this group everything they need to contend. If they fall short here in the 2nd, Keefe has to go and some of the core guys.

Reactions: CincoHolio

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Dubas at least tried to address the secondary group and did so successfully in my opinion. If they don’t win this series, than he needs to break up this core group.

Tavares the ancient isn’t going anywhere at that price.

That leaves the big 3. I thought Nylander played well, and is probably the best bargain of the 3.

That leaves M and M. Who goes?
We aren't winning anything with Tavares at 11 mil. Simple as that. So whoever the GM is for next year will have to sort out how to get a team built and ready to win the year we are free of Tavares.

With Kyle's penchant for throwing around 1st round picks, is he the man? Or is there someone else?

I actually think Spezza will be a great GM.

Maybe Kyle knows he's going to walk out on the team and has been lining up Spezza to take over?

Reactions: sunstersun

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I was all ready to sign Dubas to an extension, but then again watching Gio play and die on the ice, and the complete lack of offense from any defenceman outside of Rielly made me really sour on the Sandin trade again.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It's not Dubas I'm worried about - it's Keefe. Ya'll are focusing on the wrong dude.

It really is crazy how much Leafs fans are fixated on Dubas. The guy is definitely polarizing. How he manages to get more ire than Keefe is absolutely baffling to me.

Yes, he picked Keefe. I give him another shot to do the right thing and give the coach the boot, but it has to happen this year if they fail to advance.

We need to see how this group performs under a better coach, plain and simple.
To be fair. Kyle has been given just one more year from the fanbase for 3 years now.

There's always a stipulation. I give Kyle one more year for X to happen. If not, he's done.

That X doesn't seem to happen though.

And then there's another, I give Kyle one more year for X to happen.

He might walk out on us and go to the bright lights of Ottawa or Pittsburgh, in which case it's been taken care of by himself.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No absolutely not. It’s his shameful handling of the goaltender situation the last number of years that has us in this position.
A single round win does not mean anything. I’m glad it happened but conference final or Dubas and Keefe should both be gone.
My guess is Shanny will let him run it all back again with this failed core
Thats my biggest concern....I dont think I could handle more of the same for the next few years....so if we are going to lose, then lose in 4 to guarantee hopefully some sweeping changes. However I would still like to win and if we do I will be elated but weirdly still would like to see some changes in management.

I have never seen an NHL gm act like a baby like this guy. Throwing water bottles and slamming his desk all game. Isn't he supposed to be stoic and professional?
mans dream job is on the line...makes sense why he is so wound up.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Whatever. Who cares?

You cannot win the whole thing with 3 x 11mil players. It's just a simple as that.

Pick any GM you want, we can't go 4 rounds with 33 mil invested in 3 forwards.
I think you can its just the kind of players they are...Our top guys are all kind of the same type of player....replace Marner or Nylander with Tkchuck for instance and it changes the dynamic

myleafs

May 25, 2021
If he leaves after this season it will likely be on his own accord. If we lose this series to Florida it won't be his fault imo.
the buck stops here as they say. He is the architect of this team and if they cant get er done then whos fault is it? They players? You mean the ones he gave the kitchen sink to and tripled down on? Or is it the coach who he also picked while not even exploring other options?

There's several teams in the nhl who are waiting for the leafs to be gone to offer Dubas probably president plus. But he's not good enough for this fan base.
I would be very interested to see what he could do with a non 105 pt team without a handful of young superstars on it.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
If they lose in round 2, especially if it's as embarrassing as it's trending, and they don't clean house, I might take a season off.

Dubas has left this franchise with almost no draft picks, almost no prospects, and made no positive improvements to the core since his arrival, and has 1 total series win to his name - which, quite frankly, we got seriously outplayed in.

If our ownership group thinks that's good enough, which it obviously is not, and doesn't care that their franchise is a running gag, I am not sure why I should care anymore.
This is pretty much where I am at as well.

I have a hard time forgiving him when he allowed Matthews and Marner to take those horrible (for the team) contracts.

If he was going to pay them that much at the time, he should have played hardball on term. Now their contracts are up soon and they’re UFA’s so we have no power other than to hand them a blank cheque and pray they stay.

They played hard ball with Nylander but not those 2. Then bringing in Tavares to be a 2C at 11m was the icing on the cake. The team is just too top heavy. There’s no grit from their core and they depend on heavily retained veteran rentals in hopes to get by.

He’s done an admirable job since but his screwing up with the core of this team is unforgivable. Cap management is the most important thing a GM needs to do. Let’s pray Marner and Matthews extend their contracts with team friendly deals but we can only hold our breath. My assumption is they don’t and they push for selfish deals again, crippling the team further. We can hope though.

I’d straight up trade Marner for Brady Tkachuk if it was a video game. Obviously wouldn’t work IRL but I wish they had a Sam Bennett player (or literally Sam Bennett) as 2C and the extra 7m tied up in a shut down defender like Ekholm.
Bwahahahaha.....oh....your serious

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s all but assured he’ll get an offer to return. How much gravy do you need on your biscuits?

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Of course he should be back. Whoever takes his job we’ll be in the same position complaining and bitching because that’s sadly what we do.
He has made it pretty clear he wasnt budging from his we can and we will statement so I do not trust him at this point to mke the difficult decisions as I think he will give Matthews and Marner whatever they want and more in their next contracts. If they lose maybe he has learned (as his trade deadline showed some promise this year) but I would be very nervous with him at the helm again.

Dubas has done a good job, why would tou fire him? Are you really ready to roll the dice on another gm?
Our ideas of what a good job is are different

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think you can its just the kind of players they are...Our top guys are all kind of the same type of player....replace Marner or Nylander with Tkchuck for instance and it changes the dynamic
I don’t think you can win with three 11 million dollar players. Yes I agree we need Tkachuk but he only makes 9.5 for 8 years.
2 of our 11 million dollar guys signed relatively short contracts and will be UFA’s very soon.
we will have to pay them even more money or risk losing them…..tell me how that’s going to work out especially if we do lose in this round.
7 years with only 1 round win and they will be probably be making 12 for Marner and 13 for Matthews

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I don’t think you can win with three 11 million dollar players. Yes I agree we need Tkachuk but he only makes 9.5 for 8 years.
2 of our 11 million dollar guys signed relatively short contracts and will be UFA’s very soon.
we will have to pay them even more money or risk losing them…..tell me how that’s going to work out especially if we do lose in this round.
7 years with only 1 round win and they will be probably be making 12 for Marner and 13 for Matthews
Oh I hear ya and agree mostly....goaltending and defense is where I wanted Tavares money to go originally. Dubas will open the vault for M+M so I think your numbers are low.

Reactions: Racer88

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Please god, trade Marner has his 2 years for value.

Extend Nylander and Matthews. Ask Tavares to retire.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If they lose to Florida, the for sale sign goes up and everybody is available for blue chip prospects and high draft picks. IMO we are not winning anything until JT comes off the books, so load up with blue chippers while riding out the next two years.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If they lose to Florida, the for sale sign goes up and everybody is available for blue chip prospects and high draft picks. IMO we are not winning anything until JT comes off the books, so load up with blue chippers while riding out the next two years.
Agree 100%. I also feel that one of Marner or Matthews has to be replaced with a talented player with heart and grit.
I would trade either one of them for Tkachuk right now.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I mean the haul they would get would be impressive and the rebuild might not take as long as you think.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agree 100%. I also feel that one of Marner or Matthews has to be replaced with a talented player with heart and grit.
I would trade either one of them for Tkachuk right now.
Nobody is giving up a Tkachuk. Next season will be challenging for whoever is running the team.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's not on Dubas. He has done his job this season.

It's on the coaching staff and the core players to turn this series around.

Ad

Ad

Ad