Proposal: Do you want to take a day off from your job to watch trade deadline?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
When I was a kid I would always fake sick on deadline day. However times have changed. I don’t ever watch TV for news anymore anyway. Twitter and certain websites are the news feed I need. I don’t need to watch CNN talk about fluff for world news when I can go straight to the source. Just like I don’t need to see James Duthie wrestle with a monkey to learn who was part of the most recent trade.

It’s much quicker and convenient for me to use the resources in my hand for up to the minute news while also having a (somewhat) productive day at work.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I’ll be in Florida for a five day weekend, starting tonight! However, between that and Spring Training, I’ll follow along on my phone. All the big names are gone now, except Giroux.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I put yes, but I work from home, and I have a TV in my office. For March Madness, F1, and trade deadlines, it's fantastic to have it on mute in the background while I work.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’m not taking off, but I’m actually off.

i work a compressed 9 day 80 hr 2 week pay period. That’s 8 9 hrdays and an 8 hr day. 2nd Monday of a 2 week pay period is my off day.

I’ll periodically check on moves. Since my team isn’t a big buyer or big name seller I won’t be paying much attention to rumors.

this year is March madness to the nth degree

besides the NCAA basketball tourney Thursday-Sunday, there was opening of nfl year with trades and free agent signings, baseball unlocking triggering free agent signings and trades, and closing with nhl trade deadline.

with Covid I am primarily working from home so I have tv/ radio on in background.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
If you’re an Anaheim fan I would. Anaheim finally has the two best players available this deadline with Lindholm and Rakell. Not to mention Deslauriers who’s getting a lot of buzz as well

I'm a Ducks fan & no way would I be paying (by not getting paid/burn a vacation day) just to watch that. Am I closely related to either one of them? No. Will either one of them being traded financially impact me in any way? No. Will either one of them being traded disrupt my day to day life? No. Ok, and?

As others have pointed out, I'll have my phone/access to up to the minute details for when I occasionally check in, but even without that, hell no. Hockey is my favorite sport, & the Ducks have been my favorite team for 20+ years (since they had their AHL team here locally), but in the grand scheme of things, what they do/do not do really impacts me not in the slightest. I'll certainly be curious as to what's going to happen, but not to the extent that I have to pay for it (beyond my internet access, tv package, etc).

Now if Pat wants to pay me to take the day off so that I can be an on call consultant, I'm sure something could be worked out (have his people call my people...). Otherwise I'll catch up on my time that evening (if I don't happen to catch the details on a long bathroom break with my phone...)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I used to consider taking the day off to watch the trade deadline, but not anymore. This is a day where you always get yourself pumped up, but most of the time the deadline becomes a dud, and not worth losing a days pay for.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
No, its the evening.

Really the TDL is boring af now. It used to be soooo good 10+ years back

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Why would anyone do this? I mean pretty much everyone has a smartphone and you can just occasionally check Twitter or other social media instead of wasting PTO.

I'm taking the day but I plan on doing things around the house with it being on in the background. Haven't taken a day off since I started in August so I'm due.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Why would anyone do this? I mean pretty much everyone has a smartphone and you can just occasionally check Twitter or other social media instead of wasting PTO.
I just left a job where I had 180hrs of accrued PTO that didn’t get paid out. At my new job I have “unlimited” DTO. Which seems awful, until I remember I never used the PTO anyway. So I guess the corporate overloads have won.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Depends on the job. I have the type of job where I am not behind a computer or have ability to check my cell phone much. So yes I will be taking off or working half day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad