Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The first and most important thing Berube needs to do is force these guys to play playoff style hockey from game 1 through 82.

No fancy dipsy doodles, no whoring for milestones, no flybys along the boards. Essentially, I want to see this core out of their comfort zone and playing hockey that works in the postseason all season long.

If he tries to coach around their current style of play, this team will still be trash waiting to be dropped off at the curb in April.

Yep. We basically need to see wholesale behavioral change and professional urgency in all details of the game. Those October-November cheat codes don't work in April and May.

Reactions: OddyOh and weems

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yep. We basically need to see wholesale behavioral change and professional urgency in all details of the game. Those October-November cheat codes don't work in April and May.
I agree with the need for change in style and approach from day one.

I somehow feel like the contracts of key players work in our favour. I like that AM and WN have term and security and won't be focused on goals and points, they should be focused on winning and I believe they will be.

I also feel JT and MM playing for contracts works to our advantage. We know Marner can score points, he knows he has to show more than that to get the extension be wants here. He has to show he can contribute when it matters most and preparing his game for the playoffs SHOULD be his focus. JT just wants to be a winner in Toronto and should know that another disappointing finish does nothing for him remaining a Leaf or certainly not as captain

Everyone is talking about $22M coming off the books next off-season. The two guys that make up that $22M want to remain here, I feel they will be very motivated to do what it takes to earn the right to stay and I hope Berube can help them figure out what they need to do.

I also think we need three scoring lines and depth all season and not scramble to find it at the TDL or G1 of the playoffs. Separating the big four across three lines feeds off the contact status above and seeing who buys into team success and not just stat-padding in a contract year.

Knies Matthews Domi. We know Matthews and Domi have chemistry and let's prove it for a full season. Let's also then Knies into a 20+ goal, 50+ point winger that leads us in hits again.

Holmberg Nylander Marner. We need to find our 2C and let's do that from within. Make this work. Give WN two defensively responsible wingers, let's see if MM can turn 88 into a 50-goal man while playing with one of his favorite players in the league in Holmberg (Cowan could be challenging for this spot, Jarnkrok too. Possibly Grebyonkin)

Robertson Tavares McMann. This line showed something last year and gives all three a chance to win matchups all year long. We make JT our 3C and pay him as that next year if he performs well this year. He was a 2C level point producer last year and could excel with some sheltered minutes and workload. It's Robertson's role to lose but Cowan and Grebyenkin could challenge here too.

This leaves Jarnkrok, Kampf, Dewar, Reaves, Cowan, Grebyenkin, Steeves and maybe Minten forming the bottom line, the healthy scratches, the taxi squad, and the first Marlie call-ups.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
The real question is are the good enough to win a cup? The answer is no. Tre can't fix this mess. Depending who we get first round we could lose first round again. Then what?
Then we re-sign Mitch for 12.5 and JT for 7 and wait a decade for another shot at a rebuild.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If I remember correctly Nylander and Marner were a nightmare together. A complete shit show on the ice. But in their defence, they rarely ever play on the same line outside of the PP.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Our core is leaving their prime, no matter if people believe it or not. Matthews/Marner and Nylander - won’t be getting better from here on. Maybe more mature and capable of other things, but not better than a near 70goals, near 100 pts . We’ll watch the new wave be lauded as the best and we’ll have to find a way to rebuild or remain mediocre.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Our core is leaving their prime, no matter if people believe it or not. Matthews/Marner and Nylander - won’t be getting better from here on. Maybe more mature and capable of other things, but not better than a near 70goals, near 100 pts . We’ll watch the new wave be lauded as the best and we’ll have to find a way to rebuild or remain mediocre.
They may have tapped out more or less through round zero, but there is lots of playoff growth available for our core to capitalize on.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree with the need for change in style and approach from day one.

I somehow feel like the contracts of key players work in our favour. I like that AM and WN have term and security and won't be focused on goals and points, they should be focused on winning and I believe they will be.

I also feel JT and MM playing for contracts works to our advantage. We know Marner can score points, he knows he has to show more than that to get the extension be wants here. He has to show he can contribute when it matters most and preparing his game for the playoffs SHOULD be his focus. JT just wants to be a winner in Toronto and should know that another disappointing finish does nothing for him remaining a Leaf or certainly not as captain

Everyone is talking about $22M coming off the books next off-season. The two guys that make up that $22M want to remain here, I feel they will be very motivated to do what it takes to earn the right to stay and I hope Berube can help them figure out what they need to do.

I also think we need three scoring lines and depth all season and not scramble to find it at the TDL or G1 of the playoffs. Separating the big four across three lines feeds off the contact status above and seeing who buys into team success and not just stat-padding in a contract year.

Knies Matthews Domi. We know Matthews and Domi have chemistry and let's prove it for a full season. Let's also then Knies into a 20+ goal, 50+ point winger that leads us in hits again.

Holmberg Nylander Marner. We need to find our 2C and let's do that from within. Make this work. Give WN two defensively responsible wingers, let's see if MM can turn 88 into a 50-goal man while playing with one of his favorite players in the league in Holmberg (Cowan could be challenging for this spot, Jarnkrok too. Possibly Grebyonkin)

Robertson Tavares McMann. This line showed something last year and gives all three a chance to win matchups all year long. We make JT our 3C and pay him as that next year if he performs well this year. He was a 2C level point producer last year and could excel with some sheltered minutes and workload. It's Robertson's role to lose but Cowan and Grebyenkin could challenge here too.

This leaves Jarnkrok, Kampf, Dewar, Reaves, Cowan, Grebyenkin, Steeves and maybe Minten forming the bottom line, the healthy scratches, the taxi squad, and the first Marlie call-ups.
Matty and Willy *are not* playing for contracts so that should be good for the team, but JT and Mitch *are* playing for contracts so that should be good for the team? Sounds a bit like a contradiction.

Other than that, I like the post.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Great just what fans want a big nothing burger wrapped in b.s
It’s a nasty pill to swallow.
I’ve thought about sitting through another decade of this core and it holds zero appeal. Fortunately they haven’t cut into my love of the sport itself and I can enjoy watching teams and players who do keep that fire burning. It’s worse for those who strictly watch the leafs though, I feel for them, other than the ones that still think the golden girls are something special.🙄

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Matty and Willy *are not* playing for contracts so that should be good for the team, but JT and Mitch *are* playing for contracts so that should be good for the team? Sounds a bit like a contradiction.

Other than that, I like the post.
Thanks for the feedback on the post. I do understand the obvious contradiction, but the two guys playing for contracts are the two guys with something to prove, the two guys we might be Ok letting walk if they don't show us something different.

(1) We are better off without Marner unless he shows us he is sustainably capable of something new this year; driving a as second line (with Willy in this example) and having the as second line provide scoring in the playoffs. I really do think we let him walk and are better using his money elsewhere unless we have playoff success that he helps drive.

(2) JT needs to carve out a new role for his next contact if there is to be one. His audition is in the final year of his existing deal. Show us be can drive a third line that can contribute regular season and playoffs, again or we let him walk.

The two guys that need to show us something new or we let them walk are the guys playing for deals.

We don't want Nylander or Matthews to walk. 40 to 65 goals as 90 to 110 points is what we need from them. Nothing more or different than they gave us last year, both also showed up in the playoff games they played, both were hurt.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
We don't want Nylander or Matthews to walk. 40 to 65 goals as 90 to 110 points is what we need from them. Nothing more or different than they gave us last year, both also showed up in the playoff games they played, both were hurt.
What do you mean we don't want Nylander or Matthews to walk

Nylander is signed to 8 more years and Matthews to another 4

or am I misunderstanding something

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the feedback on the post. I do understand the obvious contradiction, but the two guys playing for contracts are the two guys with something to prove, the two guys we might be Ok letting walk if they don't show us something different.

(1) We are better off without Marner unless he shows us he is sustainably capable of something new this year; driving a as second line (with Willy in this example) and having the as second line provide scoring in the playoffs. I really do think we let him walk and are better using his money elsewhere unless we have playoff success that he helps drive.

(2) JT needs to carve out a new role for his next contact if there is to be one. His audition is in the final year of his existing deal. Show us be can drive a third line that can contribute regular season and playoffs, again or we let him walk.

The two guys that need to show us something new or we let them walk are the guys playing for deals.

I think the wording was a bit off, but that's all. I think it's clear to most people that we have the better two signed, and the other two need to step up their game, accept a pay cut, or become free agents.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think the wording was a bit off, but that's all. I think it's clear to most people that we have the better two signed, and the other two need to step up their game, accept a pay cut, or become free agents.
Are you sure Nylander and Matthews are what you want leading a team? We’ve seen comfortable Nylander before and with a long term contract signed do you think he’ll finally compete in the layoffs at the required level?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What do you mean we don't want Nylander or Matthews to walk

Nylander is signed to 8 more years and Matthews to another 4

or am I misunderstanding something
Poorly worded. We are happy they are here and want them to be here moving forward. I know they don't have the "walk" option.

Exactly. My wording confused a few people, possibly because I wrote it in the middle of the night and I am on meds recovering from a surgery.

...at least my larger point appeared to have been clear.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Are you sure Nylander and Matthews are what you want leading a team? We’ve seen comfortable Nylander before and with a long term contract signed do you think he’ll finally compete in the layoffs at the required level?
He's been looking better each year, and I have more faith in him than most others on the team.

I didn't say 'best', just 'better'.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It’s a nasty pill to swallow.
I’ve thought about sitting through another decade of this core and it holds zero appeal. Fortunately they haven’t cut into my love of the sport itself and I can enjoy watching teams and players who do keep that fire burning. It’s worse for those who strictly watch the leafs though, I feel for them, other than the ones that still think the golden girls are something special.🙄
I think the Leafs have decided to ride out the contracts. Tavares and Marner are $23 Million in cap to spend elsewhere. They love own rentals like Hyman and if the player is really good they trade him for a bucket of pucks i.e Kadri. I dont watch many reg season games anymore. The reg season isnt even window dressing for them now. Then they get Florida first round. They are more like a sitcom than pro sports team sometimes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's been looking better each year, and I have more faith in him than most others on the team.

I didn't say 'best', just 'better'.
I think there’s a really good chance he regresses back to the guy that won’t chase down pucks in crucial moments of a playoff series.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner is the 3C.

It's a show me year for him.

If you want to make over 10 AAV he'll need to be a C on the Leafs.

Marner: 3C, PP2.

We run two equal PP lines.

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
I was a fan of this when they tried it last year and wish they'd stuck with it for longer.

Give Tavares two goal-hungry wingers looking to prove themselves and see what happens. As a bonus you'd be guaranteed no over-passing on this line.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I was a fan of this when they tried it last year and wish they'd stuck with it for longer.

Give Tavares two goal-hungry wingers looking to prove themselves and see what happens. As a bonus you'd be guaranteed no over-passing on this line.
Yeah. I agree with every word.

It also becomes the third line, which we really need. We can make two top lines out of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Knies, Domi, and Jarnkrok, Holmberg, Grebyenkin, Cowan or even Nylander. This is the depth we need.

Reactions: Obo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think there’s a really good chance he regresses back to the guy that won’t chase down pucks in crucial moments of a playoff series.
Despite the evidence to the contrary? Ok, we disagree.

Which of Marner and Tavares do you think is more likely to lead the team to at least some playoff success?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Despite the evidence to the contrary? Ok, we disagree.

Which of Marner and Tavares do you think is more likely to lead the team to at least some playoff success?
How many 8 yr contracts has Willy signed? He seems like the type that will be content and will be riding it out.

Neither, but Tavares at least competes at a high level but is limited by ability. He would a good player on a good team, maybe even a contender.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How many 8 yr contracts has Willy signed? He seems like the type that will be content and will be riding it out.

Neither, but Tavares at least competes at a high level but is limited by ability. He would a good player on a good team, maybe even a contender.
I'm not sure that wanting to stay with his favorite team is a negative. I seem to recall one if the big complaints about him was that his father kept changing teams.

Since my point was that Matty and Willy were the better two of the four for leading us going forward, I'm glad we agree.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad