Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 61 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 107 63.7%

• Total voters

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
In the question it said "with adjustments" so for that I voted yes. I think we have enough materials on hand to trade a few players to fill some needs that will arise. And that Florida pick next year can be used for that. As for goalies, I wholeheartly disagree with people saying we don't have a good one. I'm sorry but let's forget Carey Price. Teams win Cups without such a goalie. Monty is good enough and we have Fowler or Dobes coming in.

I love MSL, but he will be the biggest questionmark going forward I think.
How many Cups did Hasek win?

As for MSL, the fact that Montreal was competitive most nights last year despite the injuries, youthful defence and shallow forwards pool, removes most question marks about his coaching/leadership skills.

As for whether the core is now in place, I would suggest that we wait a few season to determine whether the many prospects that some are counting on even make the NHL as impactful players. The gap between potential and reality is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Building up our core pieces is almost completed, but a core should be constantly maintained as it ages and matures, so in that way it never ends.

But it hasn’t looked this promising in years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Slaf / Suzuki / Caufield
Roy / Dach / Demidov
Newhook / Beck / Hage
Kapanen

Engstrom / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble, Barron

Monty
Primeau
Fowler

Who am i missing? I’d say we still need to keep drafting a F, D, and G. Never know who gets injured or disappoints

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Building up our core pieces is almost completed, but a core should be constantly maintained as it ages and matures, so in that way it never ends.

But it hasn’t looked this promising in years.
Considering the mismanagement we have had to endure for almost three decades, that may be a true case of damning us with the faintest of praise.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I mean who wouldn’t take more prospects?

That being said we are stacked at every position. Slowly get rid of the anchor vets and let time do its magic.

The way I see it our top 6, center line, D, and goalie are done deal. All assets under team control for many years!!!

Center line

Suzuki
Dach
Newhook
Beck

Wingers
Slaf
Demidov
Caufield
Roy

LD
Guhle
Hutson
Xhekaj

RD
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron

G
Fowler

• Love
Reactions: Andy and KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
One thing for sure, with Ivan Demidov, the core at forwards look very very solid to me. We are in very good hands.

Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach (need to stay healthy) and Demidov. That's a very solid core to me!

Add to that, Roy, Newhook, Hage, Beck and more... that's really really solid.

At D, Reinbacher can develop into a top pairing two-way beast. Guhle need to be healthy, but he is going to be a excellent top pairing D. Hutson have potential to be a star. Mailloux have all tools to be a top 4 D. Xhekaj is very unique and have high potential aswell. Engstrom, top 4 D potential. Konyushkov aswell. Very good future on D, for sure.

At G's... Fowler, Dobes, Volokhin and Miller that's really good potential right there. I'm very high on Fowler, Dobes and Volokhin.

The future is 100% bright. The rest can be add with UFA's or trades.

The 3 year of tanking are over (except injuries can change everything) but MTL will likely finish top 10-14 next year.

Habs scouts nailed it with Slaf and Demidov, they are both have unreal potential. 80-90 pts is my prediction for both. I'm high on both. Demidov is more talented at offense, but Slaf is also have high offensive talent with amazing physical package.

Reinbacher pick looks even more better after that, less pressure for him and he is going to take all times to develop.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Yes because I believe in Dach.

We have our two top 6 centers (Suzuki & Dach), we have our 3C (Beck & Kapanen), we have our elite offensive talent up front (Demidov) and on the back end (Hutson), we have two defenseman in Guhle/Reinbacher who can match up against any type of forward in the league, we have our big power winger (Slafkovsky), we have our sniper (Caufield) and between Dobes/Fowler/Volokhin I believe we have our goalie.
I look at it like this as well.

In the scenario where we didn’t get Demigod we still have a solid foundation going forward. Slafkovsky is still going to become an elite power forward. Suzuki continues to get better. Caufield is a sniper/point-man. Dach might require a bit more faith due to injuries but I also believe he can get a great 2C. Then you have good “middling” prospects of Kapanen, Beck, Roy and even Xhekaj on forward.

Defense, we have elite offensive potential and amazing two-way prospects. Goalies, we have some, too.

Adding a game breaking talent winger who just might be generational makes this last year of tanking worth it. I literally can’t even.

I think they sign some vet bottom 6 players this summer along with maybe another RD.

Let the young players develop one more year whether that is AHL/NHL, but I think we push hard for the Wild Card this year. Have the team be closer to “being ready” for when Ivan The Great comes over and we will be cooking.

Unbelievably exciting times for us. We deserve it.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
With the Sens and Caps gearing up, the Habs drafting top 10 or even top 5 next season is possible. Another big piece could be added then

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
How many Cups did Hasek win?

As for MSL, the fact that Montreal was competitive most nights last year despite the injuries, youthful defence and shallow forwards pool, removes most question marks about his coaching/leadership skills.

As for whether the core is now in place, I would suggest that we wait a few season to determine whether the many prospects that some are counting on even make the NHL as impactful players. The gap between potential and reality is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
You can say he won two, but in truth the second one was Osgood. So he won by himself as many Cups as Adin Hill, Kuemper/Francouz, Binnington, etc....

As for MSL, I'm not questionning his leadership and motivational skills, but his strategic system in our zone especially. I often see the players completely disorganized and that explains in part the late game goals we were scored last season.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes because I believe in Dach.

We have our two top 6 centers (Suzuki & Dach), we have our 3C (Beck & Kapanen), we have our elite offensive talent up front (Demidov) and on the back end (Hutson), we have two defenseman in Guhle/Reinbacher who can match up against any type of forward in the league, we have our big power winger (Slafkovsky), we have our sniper (Caufield) and between Dobes/Fowler/Volokhin I believe we have our goalie.

Where does Hage fit in all of this….i knew nothing of him till yesterday and I am enthusiastically impressed….like wow

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Only thing maybe missing is a dominant defender, maybe not a necessary ingredient but it would be great to have. I would have paid quite a bit to go grab Buium, but I'm sure the price was higher than a kite to go up to 10 or 12.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yes the rebuild is over, well....it was over a year ago.
Not that we don't need to do anything and we just need to sit on our hands.

We still have 12 picks next year, we still have tons of prospect that could develop and it's not like we're going to stop drafting.

Of course some wants to build the perfect paper teams but that doesn't exist, all teams are missing something

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
2x 2nd line centers, 25-30 goal scoring top wingers, defensemen that can barely grow a beard with concussions and broken shoulders…

Let’s hope all the good prospects turn out as good as their hype in jr/college because “meh”.

Team needs veteran game breakers. UFA’s probably.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
2x 2nd line centers, 25-30 goal scoring top wingers, defensemen that can barely grow a beard with concussions and broken shoulders…

Let’s hope all the good prospects turn out as good as their hype in jr/college because “meh”.

Team needs veteran game breakers. UFA’s probably.

2nd line centers don't have near-ppg seasons on teams that can barely score.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm pretty happy with what we have upfront now.

Demidov added to Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach is pretty sick.

We have good 2nd/3rd line talent in Newhook and Roy.

Beck or Kapanen will end up as a 3rd line center.

We can use our defensive depth/picks and free agency to help out with what we need.

I like our defense, and our goaltending prospects, too.

We still have 2 firsts, 2 2nds & 3 3rds in 2025, too in a much, much deeper draft. This is awesome!

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

We can use our defensive depth/picks and free agency to help out with what we need.

We still have 2 firsts, 2 2nds & 3 3rds in 2025, too in a much, much deeper draft. This is awesome!
Speaking of this, how about a 2025 draft thread boss?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

With players that are going to be moved out for most probably more picks such as Dvorak, Savard, Armia... We should be in good shape in the next 2 years again regarding drafting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad