Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (Traded KHL Spartak 2024-2025)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
will be very interesting to see if he can stick in the KHL, and if so to what end since he'll be 19 when the season starts but his team will know that he could leave at the end of the year since he's not under contract (or maybe the Habs would want him to stay over there for a couple years).

If he sticks, the KHL has lowered the amount of games played from 62 to 56 just as an fyi.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Gee. I wonder why players don't want to play in Montreal? Seriously, have they not thought that this would scare players away? You're there to play hockey and win, not take bloody French lessons!
We haven't won a Stanley Cup for three decades for a number reasons. This pre-occupation with non-hockey priorities has been a contributing factor.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is Kostenko playing KHL or VHL this year?

Timmins said he might play in the KHL, but in Russia who knows as they tend to move prospects around between the leagues so he easily could end up getting time in both. He's not under contract after this season so I would assume that will play into, if he's willing to re-sign with him then perhaps he gets more TOI and in the KHL, if he's not then they know he's leaving so they might not really care that much about his TOI or where he plays. Not saying that if they need help on the KHL team and he's playing well he wouldn't be called up, or that he won't make the KHL team outright just that with Russian prospects it's anyone's guess where they will be playing.

Reactions: Maitz

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So far, I've seen the line-up for a few of Spartak Moscow's preseason games and Kostenko hasn't played in any of them.

Spartak's VHL affiliate, Khimik, hasn't played any preseason games yet. At least I haven't seen any.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
So far, I've seen the line-up for a few of Spartak Moscow's preseason games and Kostenko hasn't played in any of them.
Not sure where you saw that, Spartak had a scrimmage on the 19th, he was in (no points), and they played vs Khimik on the 30th and he dressed for Khimik (no points). Maybe you saw the MHL Spartak team, they played a bunch of games already.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure where you saw that, Spartak had a scrimmage on the 19th, he was in (no points), and they played vs Khimik on the 30th and he dressed for Khimik (no points). Maybe you saw the MHL Spartak team, they played a bunch of games already.

It's very possible this is the case.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Timmins said he might play in the KHL, but in Russia who knows as they tend to move prospects around between the leagues so he easily could end up getting time in both. He's not under contract after this season so I would assume that will play into, if he's willing to re-sign with him then perhaps he gets more TOI and in the KHL, if he's not then they know he's leaving so they might not really care that much about his TOI or where he plays. Not saying that if they need help on the KHL team and he's playing well he wouldn't be called up, or that he won't make the KHL team outright just that with Russian prospects it's anyone's guess where they will be playing.

So basically that’s the Romanov’s situation all over again haha would be better if he comes over to Laval then

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So basically that’s the Romanov’s situation all over again haha would be better if he comes over to Laval then

we won't know until the season starts most likely and even then we'll see what happens as they have no reason to do him any favors unless he ends up re-signing then that could change things I would think.

Reactions: Maitz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched some a one of his MHL games from this past season, looks like the skating, speed need to improve but like the offensive upside. Also says something that he was able to move up to the VHL and stick and lead the league in points for a U-19 defensemen. Very much looking forward to seeing him this year and then finding out what the Habs plans are for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's something that almost every fan is saying (hoping?) about their respective team's 4th, 5th , 6th and 7th round picks.

Kostenko is a 3rd rounder at 87th OA. I don't think he is the typical later part of the draft kind of hope. His probability is higher than others. The nice part is we have a shit load of grade B or C types and some of them are going to surprise. Probability is working in our favor in terms of the amount of darts we have had in the last 5 drafts. Especially top 100 pick area

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
watched some a one of his MHL games from this past season, looks like the skating, speed need to improve but like the offensive upside. Also says something that he was able to move up to the VHL and stick and lead the league in points for a U-19 defensemen. Very much looking forward to seeing him this year and then finding out what the Habs plans are for him.

Candidate to make the Russian WJC roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad